Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61814 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by olanrewaju99(m): 7:33am On May 19, 2020
Take him to a rehab for a very long time if possible private one and close all banks related to him, when he have no money on him it will be very hard to run from there and mandate that none of your family should visit him except you. But if they insist you can video call while with him.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by livebyday(m): 7:38am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.
I can relate bro

Firstly you need to understand the habit

It's a very strong addiction. It takes understanding and counselling mixed with physical therapy

It's not a short term cure

The best counsellors are those who recovered from the addiction themselves, trust me no pastor or imam can help him

Let.me.talk to him remotely if he can use a smart phone

Secondly separate him from your mum for her safety

If I talk to him and I am satisfied I will take up your case and mind you it's not a cheap or short process it can take you from sic months to 14 months but after that if he can stay the course you will see real progress

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Psalms5522: 7:40am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

It is also very obvious that your parents went wrong somewhere while bringing u up. Because if you were brought up properly, U should have known what it means to be sensitive to other peoples feeling, U should have known that if you have no word of comfort to give then u ought to shut up. I was even suprised that 57 of your type liked the TRASH u spew out. You where even quoting Bible u are obviously a pharasee (self righteous and delusional) have you read about the Story of Job? There is no difference between you and Job's evil friends who instead of comforting Job, they were accusing him of a secret sin that caused his problem.
Please appologise to the OP for your senseless comment.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by annsrealms(f): 7:40am On May 19, 2020
XXLMANDIGO:
...And that's the end of Solomon Grundy undecided

Note to Nairaland Igbo(Indian Hemp) Warriors and Campaigners, beware coz you won't know when you have lost your mind.

Emancipate yourself from tribalism. May God help you.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Roman7(m): 7:43am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

no dey quote Bible anyhow, that was how some people in the Bible accused one blind man that it is the sin of his parent that has caused his blindness jesus told them that it is neither his sin nor that of his parent...............anybody can decide to start leaving a wayward life and when he starts seeing the consequences, people start pointing accusing finger on the parent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by amaifehenry(m): 7:43am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's case. I'm a Psychiatrist and Public mental health practitioner. I'm interested in your case. Although I'm with Enugu State Federal Neuropsychiatic Hospital. Send me a mail : amaifehenry@gmail.com. Goodluck. Hope youve tried diazepam?

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by enochogaga(m): 7:43am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
ask so that u won't be beating around the bush. Seek and u shall find d solution to ur bro situations. Then knock on God's door and he will bring healing to him and ur family. Nothing u can do that will help him now except God intervene. Bye bye

Very wise in advising another man's in their predicament, but always foolish and in their own predicament.
I know this kind of people very well very judgemental people.
Even when God created Adam and Eve the Bible tell us God told them what to and what not to, God teach them God nurture them. But what happen? Did they go against the teachings and the upbringing lifestyle of God? So u will still tell us God did not teach or nurture Adam and Eve properly? Abi

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 7:48am On May 19, 2020
LuQuLuQu:

Please send the video. Quote me when you do. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1umDORbZzL0

This was the video that gave him his why. I stumbled upon why doing some research. There could be several like this.

I also introduced him to audio books by Jim Rohn, Les Brown, Napoleon Hill's Outwitting the Devil was one is such book he confessed made him make some hard decisions.

They are all on YouTube.

Shalom bro. You brother shall soon find his way back like the prodigal son.

Let's keep in touch. We could help him source more materials that will help him find his WHY, WHY NOT, WHY NOT YOU, and WHY NOT TODAY & HOW.

it never too late to make a U-turn. The problem is often WHY and HOW.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 7:48am On May 19, 2020
edoman2016:

What about his wife? Is your brother not married?

Not married.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Dextre(m): 7:49am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:

Just listen to yourself...is everything always down to what the parents did. It's not always about rod,you can take a horse to the river,but you cannot force it to drink water. Just give advise and leave simple, stop making assumptions outchea
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Dextre(m): 7:51am On May 19, 2020
Psalms5522:

It is also very obvious that your parents went wrong somewhere while bringing u up. Because if you were brought up properly, U should have known what it means to be sensitive to other peoples feeling, U should have known that if you have no word of comfort to give then u ought to shut up. I was even suprised that 57 of your type liked the TRASH u spew out. You where even quoting Bible u are obviously a pharasee (self righteous and delusional) have you read about the Story of Job? There is no difference between you and Job's evil friends who instead of comforting Job, they were accusing him of a secret sin that caused his problem.
Please appologise to the OP for your senseless comment.

As in ehn...very insensitive human being that girl is. Just jump into conclusion like frog.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by LuQuLuQu(m): 7:51am On May 19, 2020
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by kingvick09(m): 7:52am On May 19, 2020
Ejenavi18:
He should be readmitted to a psychiatric hospital. I think he's suffering from a relapse since he has already been on admission before.
Afterwards he should be made to undergo rehabilitation at the Drug Abuse Treatment Education and Research(DATER) unit of the hospital.
If it's possible to change his environment after rehabilitation, do that as well.
Also, who are his close friends? Are they into drugs as well? If that's the case he has to stop being around such persons.
It takes a lot of effort for most people to overcome Mental and Behavioural Disorder (MBD) due to psychoactive substance abuse.
I have a friend who's into substance abuse just like your brother. Currently he's been readmitted again for the 3rd time since he suffered a relapse just last year, a promising young guy like that.

SEARCH FOR ' GATEWAY OF LIFE AND MIRACLE MINISTRY INTERNATIONAL' ONLINE ,CONTACT THEM.HIS PROBMLEM WILL BE SOLVED ,,,GOD NEVER FAIL!

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by canDy4eva(f): 8:04am On May 19, 2020
johnnyenglish02:
op from my angle..u bro has a kleptodownsyndromphobiativity disease...... doctors in d house abeg chill..na joke i jur dey joke

.. and that's why you are where you are till date!

You better behave undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Mho77(f): 8:09am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Most of his friends that started this lifestyle with him later abandoned drug abuse. All of them are now married and have education, families and means of livelihood.

As you recommended, we may need to change to another Psychiatric hospital. Please can you recommend any?

Neuropsychiatric hospital abeokuta

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Sailorsoldier1: 8:09am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
Wat is dis wan saying for Pete's sake Nigerians!!!
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Akinya17: 8:09am On May 19, 2020
Contact Pastor Rapu, he is great with drug addicts. He has a clinic in Lagos, you can Google him or watch my Lagos diaries on YouTube ,he documents some of his cases there.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by joinpreneur(m): 8:11am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Addiction is a tool of invitation. Everything in life has spirit component to it and whatever you do that you're addicted to is a fulfilment of inviting the spirit component to come and stay with you.

https://www.nairaland.com/5867453/easiest-way-breaking-loose-addictions#89710024
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by smiliyB(f): 8:11am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Will disowning him also give the right to banish him from our family house where he currently lives to terrorise everyone? Our father is late. Can any member of the family stand in the gap of declaring him disowned? What does the law say concerning this?
Don't give up on him yet, it's not over until it's over and never stop praying. Just find a healthy place/environment to lock him up for 6 to 1 year or even more. So he can get over the addiction. If you don't want that, you can take your mom out from that environment and leave only him in the house.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by fantastic1: 8:11am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
abi? Time and Time again people tend to ignore d spiritual and faces the physical. I will shut up but no man plant mango and reap guava
How come the rest children are ok? Dem for all kukuma dey do drugs since na drugs d parents sow. Nonsense. Reason with your sense abeg.
If na by ur logic, Pastor children for be highest....
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by BananaPeel(m): 8:16am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

It's time you pray for him to willingly accept to be changed. Only then can he be transformed. He has to accept he has a problem and wants a change. Deal with his spirit and will in prayers and watch him change gradually. The spirit of addiction is one strong spirit but keep praying and the name of Jesus Christ will help him. Also, engage the mystery of the blood of Jesus, the communion, his change is in sight.
Non-believers should not quote me, this is only for the OP.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by janedonez(m): 8:16am On May 19, 2020
Mstick:
Your God must be a crack head then, why not punish the parents for their do called evil instead of the child that has nothing to do with it?

I am guessing you feel you're well trained right?! If you were you would know this simple rule, if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything.

you are not totally out of place. With all the resources and solutions applied and yet no headway.
There is a root cause to every situation. Either by way of our actions or inactions. Then external enemies who may be fuelling the situation. The truth is always bitter. The holy book says it, many perish for lack of knowledge.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Olatara(f): 8:18am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
pastors that did not bring up their children well will still become wayward. Whether he be holier than though or pope deputy.
Ma'am, I know you are righteous and holy and you are bringing up your children in the way of the Lord.
What if one of your kids become wayward?
Environment, peer pressure social media etc can lead to a wayward life style, a child can decide to go on the dark side if he or she wants to.
My good friend M was brought up in a very bad environment and bad home but she and her brothers, I mean all of them are better off.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by KenBen217: 8:32am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
ur opinion though. I think it's u that something is wrong with. No parent bring up a child in a proper way and reap calamities. Do well and read the book of Proverbs. Also read the laws of karma
"no parent brings up a child in an upright way and reap calamities"...you are like 14 years old...am I rightyou speak like a little child yet to reach puberty...I swear
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by amaifehenry(m): 8:34am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

I don't know why Nigerians like to associate every mental disorders to spiritual causes. Some are ( Yes I've come across such in my years of practice) but the manic symptoms they display are still psychotic. Except that it may not be remedied through medical means. Thankfully in this case ( from what I gathered from your writing) Your brother has a high load of Phencyclidine (PCP) causes dissociative and delusional symptoms, and may lead to violent behavior. I bet he consumes (d) a lot of Amphetamines, nicotine and hallucinogenic substances which has eaten deep into his systems hence his maniac behaviour. Anyways. Pastors are not trained professional to handle these cases. I'm against Religious men conducting counselling because they will always treat it based on how they will treat their on family. Which by experience is most times not perfect. A trained Psychiatrist or Psychologist would be of better help. I've already given you my e-mail. If you have the means, comes down to Federal Neuro-psychiatric Hospital, Enugu. Goodluck
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by kay29000(m): 8:39am On May 19, 2020
Greatzeus:
Wow shocked this is sad, classical drug addict scenario. They will sell anything or steal anything to get the drugs. See do not judge him,I pity him actually,when the urge comes,you can't resist,it's like you'll die if you didn't take the drugs.
He should be taken to a good rehabilitation center,but I don't know how effective they are in Nigeria. You can take him abroad if you can afford it.
There are very good drugs rehabilitation centers overseas that will cure him completely,a lot of artists and rappers and celebrities in America were once like this but received help. Toni Braxton, Lindsay Logan etc

Wow! I didn't know Toni Braxton was once an addict.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by VTORID(m): 8:43am On May 19, 2020
This is far way beyond the physical,
from what you said it clear that he is subjected to spiritual manipulation to avert his destiny.....under an agenda by powers to act in this kind of reality.... That was enforced by using the friends he came in contract with in secondary sch days.....case like dis need to be trace down to the root or you guys will end up cutting branches cry
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by razible5384(m): 8:55am On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:
undecided

without personal conviction to change, you guys are just wasting your money.. disown him let him carry his own cross at 42, you aint his guardian angel

the only card on your table now is to accept him like that, and move on so that he wont drag you guys off

My cousin had a similar problem when he was young, he did drug, raped, was a cult top guy even without going to uni, and instead of fighting him after we had tried and failed at many attempt to rescue him(hospital, Alfa, babalawo) , we got him to join the Navy and spent our last kobo to keep him in the training , when he came out he was still rugged but atleast people thought he was just being a normal soldier hard guy, when his recklessness was still getting much, and had signed up to Join Special Boat Squad SBS (special ops) and got redeployed to Sambisa, we had to beg and induce financially one of his Girlfriends to please marry him or atleast get pregnant. long story short he is still a naval officer and has kids, a house and a car still acts violently and still does weed and booze but atleast we pointed him to where his violence and highess could be useful

at this point for a 42 years old man, stop forcing him to rehabs anymore, take your mum away for him and have him cater for his own needs including buying drugs. if he stayed broke for a little while and the urge to get high hits him, as a man he would find a way to make money, and later start being responsible for himself

I guess,this is the reason we have lots of uniform me that act like animals
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by psalmylee: 8:55am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
ask so that u won't be beating around the bush. Seek and u shall find d solution to ur bro situations. Then knock on God's door and he will bring healing to him and ur family. Nothing u can do that will help him now except God intervene. Bye bye
this one head correct do??na wa oo.many are mad BT few are roaming
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Midex88(m): 9:03am On May 19, 2020
It’s well.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Jonovo98: 9:04am On May 19, 2020
I don’t have much to say right now just
Give me a call to this number
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by chinoonew09: 9:08am On May 19, 2020
they shld send him back to the rehabilation center again...
while undergoing the process..

they find way to kill or jail that person that supplies his drugs, i believ that if him, dont see where to buy drug, he won't take it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply)

Bride Slumped And Dies On Wedding Day In Ogbomoso (photos) / Please Help Look Into This Family Issue (I'm Loosing My Mind) / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.