Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61816 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.

Buy him tapes and let him find his why. Until he finds his why, nothing will stop. I had a friend who was in this same shoe, until he found his why. Now he is becoming better. Gradually reducing usuage and finding his way back.

Nothing will save your bro but himself. Don't for a second think he is not trying to stop using . But the dopamine addiction is getting the better of him. Nothing will help him until he finds a way round his dopamine. He needs to find something else to feed his dopamine. Addiction is just damn strong to break at times.

I could send you one YouTube video that helped my friend tremendously. Perhaps, it could help your brother too.

Shalom.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by charleybam(m): 10:20pm On May 18, 2020
He needs a spiritual teacher/guardian(Not pastor) that should guide and teach him how to meditate,he should meditate daily and lastly,try as much as possible and get gemstones/crystals like black tourmaline and wear it in his pocket,it repels negativity and psychic attacks

Make research about my comment and thank me later

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Sterope(f): 10:20pm On May 18, 2020
Very good advice!
Ejenavi18:
He should be readmitted to a psychiatric hospital. I think he's suffering from a relapse since he has already been on admission before.
Afterwards he should be made to undergo rehabilitation at the Drug Abuse Treatment Education and Research(DATER) unit of the hospital.
If it's possible to change his environment after rehabilitation, do that as well.
Also, who are his close friends? Are they into drugs as well? If that's the case he has to stop being around such persons.
It takes a lot of effort for most people to overcome Mental and Behavioural Disorder (MBD) due to psychoactive substance abuse.
I have a friend who's into substance abuse just like your brother. Currently he's been readmitted again for the 3rd time since he suffered a relapse just last year, a promising young guy like that.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by promiseland245(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2020
At what point in life did you misplace your sensitivity
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by nnamdiosu(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

This is so unfair and unkind to say.

Let God not let us see the problems that make people blame us like job in the bible. Amen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by cooltola(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2020
Tough Love
1 Tough love which means your brother is no longer allowed in the family compound. It is either he goes to treatment center for addicts or else he is not allowed to come home at all. In fact he should not even be allowed to enter any family member compound
2 Have a family meeting and see who is giving him money. Let everyone agree not to give him any form of money. You can give him food but not money.
3. Zero tolerance for him hitting your mum.

A conductive environment enable addicts to continue their addict. When firm parameter are in place, then he will forced to change.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by irunoko(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2020
Mstick:
Your God must be a crack head then, why not punish the parents for their do called evil instead of the child that has nothing to do with it?

I am guessing you feel you're well trained right?! If you were you would know this simple rule, if you've nothing nice to say don't say anything.

it is already in the Bible where it said I will visit the sins of the father's to the tenth generation.truth is always unpleasant
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Myhusband(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2020

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by okoroemeka(m): 10:22pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
pls don't look for spiritual scapegoats,there is nothing wrong that the father and mother did,what you will understand is that there are some people that have a very weak will for self control be it alcohol, drugs,women,gambling,etc,in many cases what works well is the will power of the addict to decide to kick his addiction than elaborate mental evalutions,I have been down that dark road only your inner mental strength can led you to the right path.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by AmazingMOG: 10:22pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
you’re a disgrace to humanity.

11 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Osidazz19: 10:23pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:

Pathetic way of reasoning.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Exc2000: 10:24pm On May 18, 2020
undecided

without personal conviction to change, you guys are just wasting your money.. disown him let him carry his own cross at 42, you aint his guardian angel

the only card on your table now is to accept him like that, and move on so that he wont drag you guys off

My cousin had a similar problem when he was young, he did drug, raped, was a cult top guy even without going to uni, and instead of fighting him after we had tried and failed at many attempt to rescue him(hospital, Alfa, babalawo) , we got him to join the Navy and spent our last kobo to keep him in the training , when he came out he was still rugged but atleast people thought he was just being a normal soldier hard guy, when his recklessness was still getting much, and had signed up to Join Special Boat Squad SBS (special ops) and got redeployed to Sambisa, we had to beg and induce financially one of his Girlfriends to please marry him or atleast get pregnant. long story short he is still a naval officer and has kids, a house and a car still acts violently and still does weed and booze but atleast we pointed him to where his violence and highess could be useful

at this point for a 42 years old man, stop forcing him to rehabs anymore, take your mum away for him and have him cater for his own needs including buying drugs. if he stayed broke for a little while and the urge to get high hits him, as a man he would find a way to make money, and later start being responsible for himself

9 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ileriahur(m): 10:26pm On May 18, 2020
Google 'TONY RAPU' He is a professional and he does it for free
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

3 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by AmazingMOG: 10:26pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
The word "Karma" according to Hindu and Buddhist relegions referes to the belief that all good and bad things that you do in this life affects how good or bad your future life will turnout to be.

Here are the 12 Laws Of KARMA and how they are applicable in our everyday lives.

1) The great law; " As you sow, so shall you reap", this is also known as the law of cause of and effect. Whatever you put out in the universe is what comes back to you. If you want happiness, peace, friendship and love. Then you need to be happy, peaceful, friendly and loving.

2)The law of creation; life does not just happen, it requires our participation as we are connected with the universe both inside and out. Whatever surrounds us gives a clue to our inner state. Be and do yourself. Do what you want to have in life.

3) The law of humanity: " what you refuse to accept will keep following you". If what we perceive is an enemy, or someone with a character trait that we find to be negative. Then we ourselves are not focused on a higher level of existence.

4)The law of growth: "wherever you go there you are". For us to grow in spirit it is "we" who need to change and not the people, places or things around us. When we change our thoughts and behaviour our lives changes too.

5) The law of responsibility; " whenever there is something wrong, we can find the errors within our thinking perception". We mirror what surrounds us, and what surrounds us mirrors our lives.

6) The law of connection; "even if something we do seem inconsequential it is very important that it gets done as everything in the universe is connected". Each step leads to the next step.

7) The law of focus: " you can't think of two things at the sometime". When our thoughts is on spiritual values, it is impossible for us to have lower thoughts such as greed and anger.

cool The law of giving and hospitality: "when we believe something to be true. Then something in your life will be called upon to demonstrate the truth. We put what we say we have learned into practice.

9) The law of here and now; "looking back to examine what was, prevents us from totally being in the here and now". Old thoughts, old pattern of behaviour, old dreams. Prevents us from having new ones.

10) The law of change: " history repeats itself until we learn lessons that we need to change our paths".

11) The law of patience and rewards: " all rewards require initial toil". Rewards of of lasting value requires patient and persistent toil.

12) The law of significant inspiration: " you get back from something whatever you've put into it" the value of something is a direct result of the energy and the intent that was put into it. Every personal contribution is also a contribution to the whole. Lacklustre contributions have no impact on the whole.
rubbish

The leaders that instigated most wars in Africa eg biafra war are still alive lotting the nation

Ode

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Aladdin1(m): 10:28pm On May 18, 2020
My advice for you maybe harsh.but i think that brother of yours is possessed by demonic spirits and may be under a curse.believe it or not such compulsive drug addictions or bad habits are caused by demonics spirits.your brother needs deliverance first before anything.look for any deliverance minister like umai ukpai,apostle suleiman,mercyland jeremiah fufeyin,chosen or any other experienced deliverance minister to handle his case.after his complete deliverance you can take him to join a christian drug addicts rehab centre plus support group.and i think you should continue to hold personal and family prayer sessions for his deliverance and for him to encounter jesus and give his life to jesuschrist.also go do a sacrificial offering to God,church or to the poor,helpless orphans and widows for ur brothers behalf.This is what can save ur brothers life.if you cant do these then u guys should disown him and allow him face d harsh realities of life.cos failure to do these he may oneday kill ur mum or somebody.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by HarunaWest(m): 10:28pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

If i had such brother, na to put am permanently for psychiatric ward for the rest of his life. E is living his life, i deserve to live mine too.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by irunoko(m): 10:28pm On May 18, 2020
cooltola:
Tough Love
1 Tough love which means your brother is no longer allowed in the family compound. It is either he goes to treatment center for addicts or else he is not allowed to come home at all. In fact he should not even be allowed to enter any family member compound
2 Have a family meeting and see who is giving him money. Let everyone agree not to give him any form of money. You can give him food but not money.
3. Zero tolerance for him hitting your mum.

A conductive environment enable addicts to continue their addict. When firm parameter are in place, then he will forced to change.
all that will make him more violent, desperate and aggressive.its like you haven't seen where a druggie is threatening to commit arson and burn everybody in the house if they don't give him money, he hasn't attacked you with knife or destroyed properties? They can even willingly join armed robbers in order to have money to feed their habits.the solution is to take him to the rehab
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by salford1: 10:29pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
Chai. Who did this to Nigerians?
grin

I wonder what Nigerians also did wrong, for the country to be cursed with bad leadership, corruption and ritual killings.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by solonubinho(m): 10:29pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
ur opinion though. I think it's u that something is wrong with. No parent bring up a child in a proper way and reap calamities. Do well and read the book of Proverbs. Also read the laws of karma

My friend will you keep quiet!

5 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by silverkings: 10:30pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
Please don't hide under Christianity to say nonsense please. or better still keep quiet

5 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by jaxxy(m): 10:31pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

To help a drug addict u need to think like them and feel what they feel or atleast read or learn about it. It’s not easy to be honest. Drug addiction is like a strong habit raise to the power of 10 because it’s not only about mind control like regular bad habit bt chemical and hormone imbalance in the body system. When they crave for it it’s hard to resist.

That said he need rehabilitation, physical and mind coaching and education on what he’s facing exactly and how to avoid or stop it and even avoid a relapse. Stopping it isn’t so much an issue bt the relapse is the Big problem bt it can be stopped with the right approach sm I’ve listed briefly above. He needs a lot of help.

If he can beat it in his mind, he can beat it physically also. It’s not about job cos once that urge come he will use all his salary to satisfy it. His mind has to be right and strong. The the body can follow. He will now be able to control his actions and urges to the maximum.

Hard drugs isn’t funny at all. I have a frnd struggling with it till date. The relapse is the problem. Smtmes he’s ok and working for a year or more bt once he relapse he deteriorates and looks tattered and sickly. It’s now takes huge effort to get back on.

A military boot camp may help him physically and mentally then maybe he attends regular recovery Therapy classes where similar addicts share their challenges and victories. All this shud be after his treatment at the hospital or rehab.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by tete7000(m): 10:32pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

Even though he is your brother, he is an adult with right to live as it suits him. You people have done your best, take your mind off him and let him live his life. He has made his choice and will be held accountable for his life and deeds. Stop indulging someone not willing to change. Take your mum out of his reach, let her live with one of the children.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by iwaeda: 10:32pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

It is very hard, but from experience as truth must be told, you need to cut off the supply of hard drug. Change his environment and get him good counsellor. I am not sure if he has married

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Samm9y(m): 10:33pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:

Do you have sense?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Usorohtheman(m): 10:33pm On May 18, 2020
Religious talks are one of the reasons that guy started doing drugs. I bet he was a very brilliant guy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by osazsky(m): 10:35pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
mumu aboki

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by SeriouslySense(m): 10:35pm On May 18, 2020
I am so Sorry, for your suffering, So sad, I hope your Mum is okay, from this pain.
Your brother dependency on drugs is very strong, maybe there is one way to bring him out, could you all visit him and show him love, and sing good loving family song of appreciation to him, before you all visit him, pray.

This is really a difficult problem, dependency on drugs for that long have rewired his brain deeply, he cannot do without the drugs.
I suggest after you all visit him and leave, your mother location should be changed, and other family who do not want further contact should changed, but all must be ready.

But if you are ready to show him kindness to the end, you must be ready all the way, it will be painful.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Carloslehder: 10:36pm On May 18, 2020
adontcare:
.walahi you no get Brain

4 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by irunoko(m): 10:36pm On May 18, 2020
GamalNasser:

This looks like a lost cause to me, I don't think he will ever improve after being like that for so long
yeah.similar to majek fashek

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by bnbash(m): 10:36pm On May 18, 2020
Ningen:
What??
He beats up your aged mum, his own mother??

DISOWN HIM.
It's time for your “aged” mother to rest!

He's an adult of 42yrs, mentally institutionalized twice and declared “fit” for the society. Gifted a job but only to quit. Doesn't want to earn a living and only into drugs. Una don try, GOD knows.

Beating of mother is a terrible thing really. But to disown him is not a solution I think. He does that because he has psychiatric problems as a result of taking hard drugs so I think the best way is to find a solution to the psychiatric problem then hopefully he will be in his right senses again. A good rehabilitation Centre will help. I mean a professional rehabilitation centre not the ones that beat people like hell.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Carloslehder: 10:36pm On May 18, 2020
star4ever:

Yes, he beats up his mum and those around him particularly when he needs money for his drugs and no one is willing to give.

Honestly, have been through a lot. Now, many relatives and friends have deserted us due to fear of being molested when they visit.
What kind of substance does he take,thays6the first place to start

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Bride Slumped And Dies On Wedding Day In Ogbomoso (photos) / Please Help Look Into This Family Issue (I'm Loosing My Mind) / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.