Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,520 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry (3211 Views)

Toyota Corolla Or Mini Bus Suzuki. Which One Is Suitable For Transport Business? / Corolla Or Camry: Which Should I buy? / Man Calls Out Customs Officers For Seizing The Lexus Jeep He Bought (pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 8:22am On May 19, 2020
What do you guys think of stuffing a 5.0l v8 from the Lexus ISF in a 2009 Toyota Cotolla or '09
Toyota Camry? I would prefer a 2009 Camry as it would look cooler and the stance is wider than a Corolla. The stance of the camry can be widened and the swap should be a lot easier. Moreover, I've always felt a 2009 Camry project would be an interesting one.
What do you guys think, yay or nay?
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by oladipuposadeeq(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2020
ivoryhouse:
What do you guys think of stuffing a 5.0l v8 from the Lexus ISF in a 2009 Toyota Cotolla or '09
Toyota Camry? I would prefer a 2009 Camry as it would look cooler and the stance is wider than a Corolla. The stance of the camry can be widened and the swap should be a lot easier. Moreover, I've always felt a 2009 Camry project would be an interesting one.
i support you on this let's see how it goes
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by 9icetoo(m): 9:50am On May 19, 2020
Interesting. Supported.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by timifakay(m): 10:24am On May 19, 2020
ivoryhouse:

Chasis?
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by nurey(m): 3:01pm On May 19, 2020
ivoryhouse:

Probably possible with a G four limited Edition chassis.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by TRYGO(m): 4:35pm On May 19, 2020
1. How do you intend to position the engine? Transversely, or longitudinally?

2. What transmission system are you using? The V8 one that came with the V8, or which one?

3. Have looked at the engine compartment of the Camry, and taken dimensions, to see if the V8 engine would fit in there?

4. What's your competencies, when it comes to playing around with electrical wire harness upgrades?

5. You maybe needing to modify engine mounts separately.

6. How would you route the exhaust manifolds on both banks of the top cylinders?

PS: We have fitted a V6 3400cc forerunner engine into a hilux, after discarding its stock 2TR engine last year.

Regards!

3 Likes

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by NaijadrivaCars: 5:53pm On May 19, 2020
Why nit kuku buy a car with high displacement engine?

2 Likes

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 6:14pm On May 19, 2020
TRYGO:

2. What transmission system are you using? The V8 one that came with the V8, or which one?

3. Have looked at the engine compartment of the Camry, and taken dimensions, to see if the V8 engine would fit in there?

4. What's your competencies, when it comes to playing around with electrical wire harness upgrades?

6. How would you route the exhaust manifolds on both banks of the top cylinders?

PS: We have fitted a V6 3400cc forerunner engine into a hilux, after discarding its stock 2TR engine last year.

Regards!
Thanks. I have a competent team and tools to pull it off. I'm just of the mindset that the '09 Camry will look really cool. This isn't our first job, just may be more challenging than others. You're thoughts are highly appreciated

3 Likes

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by chiefbuchiV12(m): 10:44pm On May 19, 2020
ivoryhouse:
Are you retaining the front wheel drive setup or you're converting to rear wheel drive.
I think the corolla would be cool being the lighter one of the two cars though it has a smaller engine bay
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 5:57am On May 21, 2020
chiefbuchiV12:

Are you retaining the front wheel drive setup or you're converting to rear wheel drive.
I think the corolla would be cool being the lighter one of the two cars though it has a smaller engine bay
Whatever works for the suspension, front or rear. I'm still toying with the idea of embarking on this project. The old Corolla would have been cool, but I prefer the '09 Camry purely for looks, and I think it could look much nicer and drive better too.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by KINGreignn: 7:27am On May 21, 2020
ivoryhouse:

It will end in...
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by KINGreignn: 7:28am On May 21, 2020
timifakay:

Chasis?
Chassis ability to carry and handle that weight and power, drive train compatibility, a lot of things.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Lexusgs430: 3:14am On May 22, 2020
KINGreignn:

It will end in...

Tears......... cry

1 Like

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by AgentGoat: 4:54am On May 22, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Tears......... cry

Premium tears?
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Eddee(m): 6:30am On Jun 04, 2020
Hi ivoryhouse - whatever happened to this idea? Keen to learn how over 400 horses in a lightweight Corolla chassis will feel like.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 6:47am On Jun 04, 2020
Eddee:
Hi ivoryhouse - whatever happened to this idea? Keen to learn how over 400 horses in a lightweight Corolla chassis will feel like.
My partner feels it's not worth it so I've put it on ice. It's a project I will do when I have some spare cash to spend on an experiment. I'll post the update on this thread.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:15am On Jun 04, 2020
Eddee:

It'll feel like you're about to die.

Very similar to those who put an LS in a Miata. A Camry is a much better idea. Also, find out if those transmissions are able to handle that much torque.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Eddee(m): 8:01am On Jun 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

It'll feel like you're about to die.

Very similar to those who put an LS in a Miata. A Camry is a much better idea. Also, find out if those transmissions are able to handle that much torque .

Bro, I sometimes travel a lot with a Corolla over distances of 640 kms (Calabar to Ogoja and fro) - once I approach 150-180 kmph (very easy to do on long stretch roads) there's that vague steering response that jolts me back to the reality of what I'm driving, and immediately I always apologize to my trusty vehicle for making it do things it wasn't built for. And this is happening with a puny engine, I can't wait to imagine what all that high end torque will do to a Camry's delicate transmission or lazy drive shafts, much less a Corolla's.

2 Likes

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Eddee(m): 8:06am On Jun 04, 2020
ivoryhouse:

My partner feels it's not worth it so I've put it on ice. It's a project I will do when I have some spare cash to spend on an experiment. I'll post the update on this thread.

I like the determination bro, don't want to rain on your parade but don't you think choosing an IS and upgrading drive shafts, a couple engine bay modifications, ECU and a proper transmission will be far easier and more reliable as a daily driver?
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by dannybrasky(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2020
AgentGoat:

Premium tears?
With jara ontop.

1 Like

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
Eddee:

Bro, I sometimes travel a lot with a Corolla over distances of 640 kms (Calabar to Ogoja and fro) - once I approach 150-180 kmph (very easy to do on long stretch roads) there's that vague steering response that jolts me back to the reality of what I'm driving, and immediately I always apologize to my trusty vehicle for making it do things it wasn't built for. And this is happening with a puny engine, I can't wait to imagine what all that high end torque will do to a Camry's delicate transmission or lazy drive shafts, much less a Corolla's.

Agreed.

I just saw this. But then LS engines are pretty small in size. I wonder if the 2UR will even fit into the Corolla's engine bay.

Cc: Ivoryhouse
Why not do an LS swap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tijYWy6oLU
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Eddee(m): 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Agreed.

I just saw this. But then LS engines are pretty small in size. I wonder if the 2UR will even fit into the Corolla's engine bay.

Cc: Ivoryhouse
Why not do an LS swap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tijYWy6oLU

The interiors have been completely stripped grin - weight reduction on steroids! The stance gives it away, if not - that's a proper sleeper on the highway.

"Can we say bye bye" grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by id4sho(m): 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2020
TRYGO:

Regards!
what's your take on 2TR-FE on Nissan Xterra 05. I will like to do that when I've got spare cash. I will transfer ECU, engine wiring harness, engine mount, manual transmission etc

1 Like

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by sultaan(m): 1:01am On Aug 16, 2020
This venture will be a rare one , not many will upgrade to a Toyota V8 for performance, Toyota is know for durability.. you are better off with a LS engine or try the 2.3 Ecoboost upgrade. Torque and power will be better than a Toyota V8 on the punny chassis

1 Like

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by legionISproteus: 6:34am On Aug 16, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
Why nit kuku buy a car with high displacement engine?
The OP must be very bored and needs to busy himself with something

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by Mokelu: 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
Bros, how far with the project??
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by alphaNomega: 6:17pm On Nov 15, 2020
ivoryhouse:

Thanks. I have a competent team and tools to pull it off. I'm just of the mindset that the '09 Camry will look really cool. This isn't our first job, just may be more challenging than others. You're thoughts are highly appreciated

Dude, buy the Lexus.
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 3:27am On Feb 25
Eddee:

I like the determination bro, don't want to rain on your parade but don't you think choosing an IS and upgrading drive shafts, a couple engine bay modifications, ECU and a proper transmission will be far easier and more reliable as a daily driver?
I just love the shape of the 2007 to 2010 camry. We have fitted a range rover v8 in a land rover defender, fitted a tacoma v6 in a land rover defender, and a tundra v8 in a land rover defender. Will be trying more swaps in the coming months. I may create a thread for defender swaps when i have the time. I haven't been on nairaland in years so pardon my silence
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 3:29am On Feb 25
alphaNomega:

Dude, buy the Lexus.
The camry 07 to 2010 looks better than the Lexus of same year range. I'm not sure you'd understand why people do engine swaps
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by ivoryhouse(m): 3:29am On Feb 25
Mokelu:
Bros, how far with the project??
Still on hold
Re: Fitting The 5.0l V8 From The Lexus ISF In A '05 Corolla Or '09 Camry by DaimlerBen(m): 3:48pm On Mar 05
ivoryhouse:

I just love the shape of the 2007 to 2010 camry. We have fitted a range rover v8 in a land rover defender, fitted a tacoma v6 in a land rover defender, and a tundra v8 in a land rover defender. Will be trying more swaps in the coming months. I may create a thread for defender swaps when i have the time. I haven't been on nairaland in years so pardon my silence
I would LOVE to know how you managed with wiring those "hybrids".

The way I see it, you have 2 choices:
a) Drop the camry body on to an IS or GS chassis, hoping wheelbase & track dimensions fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBe7elQ8Cc

b) Drop a Volvo V8 & subframe into the camry since it's transverse.

You're just living the dream.
Please keep us posted.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GCD Vs BCD; Can They Ever Be On The Same Book Page? / Removal Of Thermostat From Diesel Engine Trucks / Good News For Modern Car Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.