Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly (38972 Views)

Imota Rice Mill Nears Completion, Set To Be The Third Largest In The World / Imota Rice Mill: Lagos To Train And Empower Farmers In Rice Production / Abisola Olusanya Inspects Imota Rice Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by Btruth: 3:19pm On May 19, 2020
LuciferInSiege:
Yearly

Political statement

Reminds me of Ogun fake rice pyramids

Rice pyramids with 95% bags of sand
grin grin grin

Amosu was a scammer. If you know you know.

Lol
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by Sammy07: 3:26pm On May 19, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Nobody dey drag am with you na, some are Americans, British and Canadians, they don't make noise

Na wa oooo.
I mentioned you?
Can't you comment before quoting me
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by oluwadabira111(m): 3:54pm On May 19, 2020
Sammy07:

Wetin concern me with Nigeria grin
Is Yoruba not part of Nigeriagrin
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by 24kmagic: 4:02pm On May 19, 2020
Fragility6:

Diz one no b politicians problem na jst greed on the part of Nigeria farmers. How u go sell locally made rice 25-30 n foreign made na 30.I no go jst close eye buy d foreign made

Greed? Nah!
If you know what it takes to produce one bag of rice in Nigeria, you'll not complain. Foreign rice goes through a mechanised process from A-Z. There are machines that help in every phase of production so it should be cheap. But here in Nigeria, what do we have? Hard, manual labour. Every stage of processing is manual.

Even at 25-30 that we sell it, we're still running at a lost.

Farming in Nigeria isn't easy.
That's why farmers are mostly seen as poor people. Farming in Nigeria is not good.

If you've never been to the farm to see or join farmers in producing food, don't just complain. Just buy the one you can buy and go home. We're really suffering.

Sometimes we spend as much as 250k on rice farm before it even goes through processing. Processing it alone is another hard job.

Asin, you don ever see where de de process rice?

Asin, you'll not understand.
When you start your own rice production, you can decide to sell it at 5-10k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by delvzy(m): 4:03pm On May 19, 2020
The thing is to create more of this in the outskirts of Lagos and also main a good supply chain as to making our indigenous rice safe for consumption and also the cost of such needs to reduce.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by ISAACOLOYEDE(m): 4:23pm On May 19, 2020
No power supply, this will affect their operations, as they will spend much on diesel ng generator.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by 24kmagic: 4:42pm On May 19, 2020
All these rice mills you guys are erecting up and down in southern Nigeria, do you have the paddy rice to process?

Can the whole of southern Nigeria combined cannot produce 2.4M bags of rice in a year?

They even said they're going to transport paddy rice from far away kebby state, wtf? Won't that further increase the price of the rice?

Look, if you're looking to invest in agriculture, go to northern Nigeria, that's where the raw material is. It mustn't be in almighty Lagos.

At the mention of the word agriculture, the first place you should be looking at is North.

1 Like

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by IBBG(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2020
Now the question is, who will plant the rice?
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by Legendguru: 6:09pm On May 19, 2020
lies
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by KLand(m): 6:10pm On May 19, 2020
This is good development. There must be a away to ease the burden of rice eaters in Lagos.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 6:56pm On May 19, 2020
24kmagic:
All these rice mills you guys are erecting up and down in southern Nigeria, do you have the paddy rice to process?

Can the whole of southern Nigeria combined cannot produce 2.4M bags of rice in a year?

They even said they're going to transport paddy rice from far away kebby state, wtf? Won't that further increase the price of the rice?

Look, if you're looking to invest in agriculture, go to northern Nigeria, that's where the raw material is. It mustn't be in almighty Lagos.

At the mention of the word agriculture, the first place you should be looking at is North.
It will take 40000 hectares at a yield if 3 tonnes per hectare to produce that amount of rice.
400 square kilometres. Ogun state alone can produce that
It is not such a big deal.
Everyone is preparing for the eventual break up of the country in their own way

2 Likes

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by OVB123: 7:01pm On May 19, 2020
SocialJustice:
Nice. More food items should be banned and produced locally especially wheat.
This can not even feed 80% of lagosians, let alone entire country with a population of 200millio people.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by SocialJustice: 7:04pm On May 19, 2020
OVB123:
This can not even feed 80% of lagosians, let alone entire country with a population of 200millio people.
We must start from somewhere.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by Pantheist: 7:07pm On May 19, 2020
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 7:14pm On May 19, 2020
rationalhuman:
"This also includes the pharmaceutical industry or sector... Most of the medications we import from India, and other nations can be easily produced here."

Being optimistic is okay, Milling rice good thing. But medications can be made easily? Really? like mixing two things, crushing and done?
If you are talking about Aspirins then yes, they are already being manufactured everywhere. Its huge diverse field and required massive investments, Know how and Industrial capabilities.

As you mentioned Medicines are being imported from India, There are Four broader grades of Companies over there.
Type 1: Ordinary Generics (In fact they have manufacturing plants here as well)
Type 2: Critical Generics (They are the one supplying life saving drugs for HIV, Malaria as extremely cheap prices because as per Directive of Indian government, they can not get profit from these medicines, India providing this by subsidies. We should thank them as millions in this continent will die if not from their generosity)
Type 3: Specialty Drugs, Vaccines required very high end technology and Billions of USD to make setup)
Type 4: Cancer, Stan, Respiratory medicines, Anti Venom, Rabies and R&Dev trail drugs. (Same high end investments and Very strict standars)

USA is the biggest importer of Type 3 and 4 medicines from India followed by France, Switzerland, Canada and eastern eu block.
Dont have false hopes for manufacturing as USA, France, Canada also relies on India.

Also you need API for even simple medicines (As there are few Indian Multinationals already making in Lagos), they imports APIs from india or China, Only India and China makes the APIs (thy also trade among themselves for economic factors).

Let us focus on simple things like Food and daily care.

there are no generics we cannot manufacture within 10 years of strategising for supply chain and human capital
Once there is a plan we will get there. Start training chemists now set a 10 -20 year plan and we will get there.
Yes most drug can be made easily. We have never made any PLAN for that and that is why we don't.
If there is anything we should learn from coronavirus it is that we must have self sufficiency in strategic items like medicine and reagents

We should not proceed without a plan
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by IamAsiri: 8:05pm On May 19, 2020
24kmagic:

Greed? Nah!
If you know what it takes to produce one bag of rice in Nigeria, you'll not complain. Foreign rice goes through a mechanised process from A-Z. There are machines that help in every phase of production so it should be cheap. But here in Nigeria, what do we have? Hard, manual labour. Every stage of processing is manual.

Even at 25-30 that we sell it, we're still running at a lost.

Farming in Nigeria isn't easy.
That's why farmers are mostly seen as poor people. Farming in Nigeria is not good.

If you've never been to the farm to see or join farmers in producing food, don't just complain. Just buy the one you can buy and go home. We're really suffering.

Sometimes we spend as much as 250k on rice farm before it even goes through processing. Processing it alone is another hard job.

Asin, you don ever see where de de process rice?

Asin, you'll not understand.
When you start your own rice production, you can decide to sell it at 5-10k

Good evening sir. I have always had unanswered questions about this local rice increment and I am happy that you can finally answer them for me.
Please why was it that when the local rice was competing with foreign rice it was being sold at between 13-15k, but when foreign rice was chased out of the market and local rice production increased, the price increased to an average of 18k? What was the cause of that? When they were competing with foreign rice, were they making such big losses? If yes, why did they keep growing the rice and kept making such big losses yearly?
These questions are not to spite rice growers but to get answers to these questions that have been bothering my mind for a long time.
Thanks.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by 24kmagic: 8:06pm On May 19, 2020
omonnakoda:

It will take 40000 hectares at a yield if 3 tonnes per hectare to produce that amount of rice.
400 square kilometres. Ogun state alone can produce that
It is not such a big deal.
Everyone is preparing for the eventual break up of the country in their own way

Break up into how many pieces? Certainly not two! I don't want a break up. I prefer a recolonization.

This time, it shouldn't be the British, it should be the Americans. Aboki have drag us back to the stone age. We really need recolonization. The whites need to come back and rule us. This time, they should rule forever.

1 Like

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by rationalhuman(m): 8:06pm On May 19, 2020
Planning/Huge Capital/ Technical know How/ Human Resource, whatever the reason is, After 10 years go to market and Mark my word even then you will see Critical, special care medicines in the market All Imported, You will be saying same thing again.

Planning/Huge Capital/ Technical know How/ Human Resource ? We have none.

omonnakoda:
there are no generics we cannot manufacture within 10 years of strategising for supply chain and human capital
Once there is a plan we will get there. Start training chemists now set a 10 -20 year plan and we will get there.
Yes most drug can be made easily. We have never made any PLAN for that and that is why we don't.
If there is anything we should learn from coronavirus it is that we must have self sufficiency in strategic items like medicine and reagents

We should not proceed without a plan
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by RuggedSniper: 8:17pm On May 19, 2020
Lanrelagboi:
Progress report at the Lagos State Imota Rice Mill that will produce 2.4 million bags of 50kg rice yearly. Farmers in Epe will supply the factory, along with rice paddy from Kebbi. Production is expected to begin before the year ends. Sanwo-Olu ��.

https://twitter.com/OvieAli/status/1262393707636166658?s=19
L
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 8:18pm On May 19, 2020
rationalhuman:
Planning/Huge Capital/ Technical know How/ Human Resource, whatever the reason is, After 10 years go to market and Mark my word even then you will see Critical, special care medicines in the market All Imported, You will be saying same thing again.

Planning/Huge Capital/ Technical know How/ Human Resource ? We have none.

Generics medicine are no big deal.

Do not make it out to be something special.

All I said is we should plan for our future with a long term perspective.
I do not understand what you are saying

India started somewhere.so did China
What exactly are you suggesting that we should just give up?
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by 24kmagic: 8:51pm On May 19, 2020
IamAsiri:

Good evening sir. I have always had unanswered questions about this local rice increment and I am happy that you can finally answer them for me.
Please why was it that when the local rice was competing with foreign rice it was being sold at between 13-15k, but when foreign rice was chased out of the market and local rice production increased, the price increased to an average of 18k? What was the cause of that? When they were competing with foreign rice, were they making such big losses? If yes, why did they keep growing the rice and kept making such big losses yearly?
These questions are not to spite rice growers but to get answers to these questions that have been bothering my mind for a long time.
Thanks.

Were we selling at a lost? No!
But the gain wasn't that much.
Why it is expensive now? This is due to some factors

The major reason why it was cheap then was because the demand for it was very low, people don't fancy it. So farmers kept selling because they knew consumers had a choice, (a better one at that). If you don't dispose it, you're on your own. But right now, the demand for the local rice is high and I believe you know the law of demand and supply.

Also, then, farmers just process and sell without polishing the rice. We sell with all the stones and chaft inside. But now, we polish the rice at a huge cost (N1500/bag). Imagine you have ten bags to just polish, that's 15k. This is aside the milling ooo. If you want to mill and polish, that's 3k per bag, which is 30k.(that's money for two bags)

Another factor is the land. For those who don't have paddy land to farm rice, the cost of renting one somehow doubled.

Finally, the mercenaries helping out during the production have somehow been brainwashed to believe that rice is the hottest cake in town now. Once you employ their services, the amount they will charge you ehn..... Hmm. Some go add jealousy join.

Government have a major role to play here.
We need machines to help us produce and process this thing. The manual labour is too much.
We also need government to site rice mills in many places at a subsidized rate. We also need stable light in the areas where those rice mills are sited. Cos at the moment, they are running on fuel, reason why it's expensive. Also, we spend crazy amounts to move these products from our farms to our houses and then to the rice mill. Government should see how they can subsidize the transport too.

If they want rice to be 15k per bag, it's achievable. But they should first reduce the stress and expenses on us.

My personal opinion tho

1 Like

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by rationalhuman(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2020
Then why we are not making them in this continent(Whatever reason), Until we make them its big deal? why our Health ministers have to request India to provide subsidize medicines? That means even they are big deal.

You asked "India started somewhere.so did China"
Yes As ancient civilization India Started medicine research 5000 years ago.
Source Encyclopedia Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/science/history-of-medicine/Traditional-medicine-and-surgery-in-Asia
Source (Details of Surgical tools are available, 5000 Years old) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushruta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine

In modern times, They were making since 30s and by late 50s and 60s these Indian multinationals were Global
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_industry_in_India

I am just fed up people giving examples of India and China. Please dont compare with them.
As world`s ancient civilizations both India and China were more rich, More Powerful, More Innovative , More Powerful then entire Europe.

Please dont compare apple to oranges. my point of above old references is that , We are not in same category, They have a mindset, an educational consciousness, always an objective. I studied there, i know how they approach, how they plan. We dont even have those thinking and concepts, maybe it will take few generations to grasp these thing.
If we can provide good schooling available to our public and good hospitals in next 30 years then we are successful.
This continent has very long journey to go brother.

omonnakoda:

Do not make it out to be something special.

All I said is we should plan for our future with a long term perspective.
I do not understand what you are saying

India started somewhere.so did China
What exactly are you suggesting that we should just give up?
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 9:32pm On May 19, 2020
rationalhuman:
Then why we are not making them in this continent(Whatever reason), Until we make them its big deal? why our Health ministers have to request India to provide subsidize medicines? That means even they are big deal.

You asked "India started somewhere.so did China"
Yes As ancient civilization India Started medicine research 5000 years ago.
Source Encyclopedia Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/science/history-of-medicine/Traditional-medicine-and-surgery-in-Asia
Source (Details of Surgical tools are available, 5000 Years old) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushruta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine

In modern times, They were making since 30s and by late 50s and 60s these Indian multinationals were Global
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_industry_in_India

I am just fed up people giving examples of India and China. Please dont compare with them.
As world`s ancient civilizations both India and China were more rich, More Powerful, More Innovative , More Powerful then entire Europe.

Please dont compare apple to oranges. my point of above old references is that , We are not in same category, They have a mindset, an educational consciousness, always an objective. I studied there, i know how they approach, how they plan. We dont even have those thinking and concepts, maybe it will take few generations to grasp these thing.

If we can provide good schooling available to our public and good hospitals in next 30 years then we are successful.
This continent has very long journey to go brother.

So what is your suggestion
You just whinge and cringe? Surrender
India has 5000 years of research? We don't?
You are ignorant and proud.
We have been practising variolation in Yoruba land for centuries. We have traditional medicine too.A lot.
How much of that research has ANYTHING to do with the manufacture of generic medicines name one generic medicine that is the result of 5000 year research

The reality is most generic medicines are no more complex to make than amphetamines and crack cocaine that criminals with little education make in FESTAC garages today

What is required is a plan and capital.

Nigeria is not in the same category how? That is just a vague and meaningless statement

What I said is we should plan for a 10 20 year horizon even if we don't make everything we need we would make progress WE have to start somewhere and we have already started
Some medicines are made in Nigeria and we should build on that not subscribe to inferiority complex in people like you
No one asked your biography this is a faceless forum you don't know me.

India was not a major generic manufacturer 50 years ago so spare me the bullshit that you know how they plan

India is as backward as Nigeria on many measures so don't try to paint a fake picture.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by rationalhuman(m): 9:39pm On May 19, 2020
Do we have above stated utilities?

omonnakoda:

So what is your suggestion
You just whinge and cringe? Surrender
India has 5000 years of research? We don't?
You are ignorant and proud.
We have been practising variolation in Yoruba land for centuries. We have traditional medicine too.A lot.
How much of that research has ANYTHING to do with the manufacture of generic medicines name one generic medicine that is the result of 5000 year research

The reality is most generic medicines are no more complex to make than amphetamines and crack cocaine that criminals with little education make in FESTAC garages today

Nigeria is not in the same category how? That is just a vague and meaningless statement

What I said is we should plan for a 10 20 year horizon even if we don't make everything we need we would make progress WE have to start somewhere and we have already started
Some medicines are made in Nigeria and we should build on that not subscribe to inferiority complex in people like you

Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 9:43pm On May 19, 2020
rationalhuman:
Do we have above stated utilities?

We start

A country 's lifetime is not the same as an individual

We start

that is all

One step at a time with a destination in mind

That is better than talking rubbish and moaning
In the 1950s there was a famine in China so bad that they were eating dead human flesh
They were not at war

If we start today with a vision then in 50 years we sing another song

THAT is the message

We start
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by rationalhuman(m): 9:47pm On May 19, 2020
Yes. Lets hope our hope will not remain mere hope.

omonnakoda:

We start

A country 's lifetime is not the same as an individual

We start

that is all

One step at a time with a destination in mind

That is better than talking rubbish and moaning
In the 1950s there was a famine in China so bad that they were eating dead human flesh
They were not at war

If we start today with a vision then in 50 years we sing another song

THAT is the message

We start
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by omonnakoda: 9:52pm On May 19, 2020
rationalhuman:
Yes. Lets hope our hope will not remain mere hope.

With negative people like you it is hope

Some of us believe in ourselves

Generic medicine manufacture is not that big a deal don't make it out to be something else.

There are even bigger things that we can and will do
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by mikolo80: 10:54pm On May 19, 2020
myboy2111:

Can we grow wheat in Nigeria?
yes
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by Bluntemperor: 11:42pm On May 19, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
Audio production grin

OP, are you serious!
what are you reporting?
Where is it located?
We passed through this route on weekly basis,where is it in Imota or -Epe route?.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by MahatmaGhandi: 7:23am On May 20, 2020
Lanrelagboi:
Progress report at the Lagos State Imota Rice Mill that will produce 2.4 million bags of 50kg rice yearly. Farmers in Epe will supply the factory, along with rice paddy from Kebbi. Production is expected to begin before the year ends. Sanwo-Olu ��.

https://twitter.com/OvieAli/status/1262393707636166658?s=19
L

Instead of telling us just do it and let us know you have done it.
Re: Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly by IamAsiri: 8:54am On May 20, 2020
24kmagic:

Were we selling at a lost? No!
But the gain wasn't that much.
Why it is expensive now? This is due to some factors

The major reason why it was cheap then was because the demand for it was very low, people don't fancy it. So farmers kept selling because they knew consumers had a choice, (a better one at that). If you don't dispose it, you're on your own. But right now, the demand for the local rice is high and I believe you know the law of demand and supply.

Also, then, farmers just process and sell without polishing the rice. We sell with all the stones and chaft inside. But now, we polish the rice at a huge cost (N1500/bag). Imagine you have ten bags to just polish, that's 15k. This is aside the milling ooo. If you want to mill and polish, that's 3k per bag, which is 30k.(that's money for two bags)

Another factor is the land. For those who don't have paddy land to farm rice, the cost of renting one somehow doubled.

Finally, the mercenaries helping out during the production have somehow been brainwashed to believe that rice is the hottest cake in town now. Once you employ their services, the amount they will charge you ehn..... Hmm. Some go add jealousy join.

Government have a major role to play here.
We need machines to help us produce and process this thing. The manual labour is too much.
We also need government to site rice mills in many places at a subsidized rate. We also need stable light in the areas where those rice mills are sited. Cos at the moment, they are running on fuel, reason why it's expensive. Also, we spend crazy amounts to move these products from our farms to our houses and then to the rice mill. Government should see how they can subsidize the transport too.

If they want rice to be 15k per bag, it's achievable. But they should first reduce the stress and expenses on us.

My personal opinion tho

So, this means the government didn't consider all these issues before stopping the importation of rice. If the government wanted to be responsible and not make people feel the serious impact of the price hike, then they should have waded in. They could have helped in the subsidisation of the price of rice, giving the farmers support in terms of those aspects you mentioned such as constructing factories at strategic points where de-stoning, polishing and the likes are being done at cheaper rates.

Without those factors already in place, the government shouldn't have stopped the importation of rice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Daily Price Of Foodstuff And Commodities Uploaded / Anambra Stone Free Rice Ready For Export / Ukwulu Invasion: Outcry As Fulani Herdsmen Ruin Farmlands In Anambra (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.