Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found (1642 Views)

Cultural Attire Of The Bekwarra People / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / The Unique Cultural Attire Of The Bekwarra People Of Cross River State. By Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Ushiesunday(m): 1:31pm On May 21, 2020
10 states in Nigeria where Bekwarra indigenes are found in large Number.

Article by Ushie S. A

Bekwarra local government is one of the major ethnic group in Cross River State located in Cross River North. It is believed to be one of the most populated ethnic group in Cross River with Bekwarra language as the major language of the state together with Efik and Ejajgam in South and Central Cross River respectively.

Bekwarra has a unique culture and language amongst other ethnic groups in Cross River state. They are the most travelled and are scattered everywhere in Nigeria. Just like the Igbo of the then Eastern Region, anywhere you go and you didn't see a Bekwarra man there you have to run for your life.

Outside Cross River, the people of northern Cross River are refers to as Ogoja including Yala, Obudu, Obanliku etc. But Bekwarra language is spoken everywhere in all the local government in Cross River State. An average Obudu man understood and speaks Bekwarra fluently.

Note that Northern Cross Riverians being refers to Ogoja doesn't really mean that Ogoja is popular neither is there any ethnic group called "Ogoja". Because we have the Nkim clan, Ishibori etc all under Ogoja local government. Ogoja is not an ethnic group but a combination of all the ethnic group in Cross River State North. This was so because before the formation of statehood in 1967 and local government reforms, Ogoja was a province where the present Abakalike was under Ogoja province and also, Ogoja houses some of the missionaries who came for evangelism especially the CMS and Assemblies of God missionaries who settled early in Ishibori and Anyikang of Bekwarra respectively. However, this topic would be treated in subsequent time.

However, Bekwarra people occupied about 40% of the populace in Ogoja, they are much in calabar, Obudu and Yala, Boki, Ikom, etc. It was due to the political exigency that made the Bekwarra people to be reduced to just a local government. Bekwarra are indigene of Ogoja, ikom as we speak.

The people are very hard working, both their children men and women. They have exploit majorly all the fertile lands in Cross River state especially Ikom, Boki where they are found in large number farming. They are known for farming and they go out looking for fertile land for their farming activities. They majorly specializes in cocoa farming, groundnut, palm oil, palm wine, yam, cassava etc.

Below are 10 states in Nigeria where Bekwarra are found in large numbers without doubt.

1. Edo state: located in South South of Nigeria. The areas in Edo Benin city where they can be found in Okada, udo, ukomu etc. Majorly specializes in cocoa, pineapple, cassava and palm oil in large quantities.

2. Benue state: is in North Central of Nigeria. The areas they can be found in large numbers are zaki biam, Gboko, katsina ala etc. Specializes in groundnut business, handwork like carpentry, mechanic, welder, etc.

3. Ondo state: is located in south western part of Nigeria. They have fertile lands too. Areas they can be found are Idanre 1, idanre 2, itaogbolu, Owena, Ore, ondo etc. Specializes in Cocoa, palm oil, palm wine.

4. Abuja: the federal capital Territory is no doubt a no man's land but Bekwarra are found here in large numbers. Areas they can be found are; Lugbe,kubwa, karmo, Mpape, No man city, etc. Specializes in white collar jobs, menial jobs and farming.

5. Kano state: located in North West of Nigeria. They can be found in Badawa, Bacharawa, etc. Specializes in handwork, business etc.

6. Taraba state: located in North East of Nigeria. They are found in Takum, Wukari, Beli etc. Specializes in farming of groundnut, cassava, yam, business etc.

7. Lagos State: located in South West of Nigeria. They can be found in Lekki 1, Victoria island, Mainland. Specializes in white collar jobs, menial jobs and business.

8. Nasarawa state: located in North Central of Nigeria. They are found in mararaba, kadoroko, Nyanya, Ado etc. Farming, business and collar jobs.

9. Kaduna state: Television, Nasarawa and kakuri.

10. Akwa ibom state: Uyo main town, itu etc.

All the aforementioned are where Bekwarra are found in numbers.
Bekwarra are everywhere but we hide under Ogoja during head count which has been affecting since 2006 because they felt we have a population of just 100 thousand. Go to Cities what we have is Ogoja community, Ogoja Association etc while 95% of these members are Bekwarra. This is not because the Bekwarra people don't want to associate with the name "Bekwarra" But the word Ogoja too is historically significant in the context of presenting any ethnic group in Cross River state North to the world.

Long live Bekwarra.
Ushie S. A
Historian

1 Like

Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Hotice085: 12:11pm On May 22, 2020
Lovely state cross river
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 6:33pm On May 22, 2020
Bekwarra in Ondo

1st time of hearing this.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 10:09pm On May 22, 2020
Seerade029:
Bekwarra in Ondo

1st time of hearing this.

He meant as migrants.When you would not even bother to read sef, olodo human being
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 10:18pm On May 22, 2020
darfay:

He meant as migrants.When you would not even bother to read sef, olodo human being

Ode, I've not seen heard anything like that in my own Home town.

Other than, Igbos, Benins and hausas.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 10:33pm On May 22, 2020
Seerade029:

Ode, I've not seen heard anything like that in my own Home town.

Other than, Igbos, Benins and hausas.

To you Yoruba people especially Yoruba Muslims anybody not hausa is omo igbo, maybe you mistook them for omo Igbo. Mumu
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 10:37pm On May 22, 2020
darfay:

To you Yoruba people especially Yoruba Muslims anybody not hausa is omo igbo, maybe you mistook them for omo Igbo. Mumu

Ode, I'm from Ondo city, so I be Muslim abi

You know my city more than myself, that I can't differentiate a Benin guy from an igbo guy??

Yet, You guys are travellers.

Audio travellers
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 10:52pm On May 22, 2020
Seerade029:

Ode, I'm from Ondo city, so I be Muslim abi

You know my city more than myself, that I can't differentiate a Benin guy from an igbo guy??

Yet, You guys are travellers.

Audio travellers

You c the rubbish I'm talking about? You erroneously labelled me as a bekwarra, nawa o
Yoruba people sef ehn
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 10:54pm On May 22, 2020
darfay:

You c the rubbish I'm talking about? You erroneously labelled me as a bekwarra, nawa o
Yoruba people sef ehn

Who labelled you as Bekwarra

I told you their is nothing like that in Ondo.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 11:45pm On May 22, 2020
Seerade029:

Who labelled you as Bekwarra

I told you their is nothing like that in Ondo.

Ok sorry
Happy ileya to you Ibrahim seerade Amao
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Moneywomen17(m): 1:21am On May 23, 2020
darfay:

shit up never heard of this berkwa in ondo before and I can’t differentiate between almost every southern tribes just by name alone.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 2:51am On May 23, 2020
Moneywomen17:
shit up never heard of this berkwa in ondo before and I can’t differentiate between almost every southern tribes just by name alone.

Good for you Mr salako habeeb
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Moneywomen17(m): 5:36am On May 23, 2020
darfay:

Good for you Mr salako habeeb
thanks mr Ahmed nwonsu.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 8:42am On May 23, 2020
darfay:

Ok sorry
Happy ileya to you Ibrahim seerade Amao

You're welcome, chukwudilliah my Muslim brother
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 10:38am On May 23, 2020
Moneywomen17:
thanks mr Ahmed nwonsu.

Lol Yoruba Muslims and their inferiority complex so I'm no longer bekwarra again I'm now Igbo. Most Yoruba Muslims cannot mention up to 5 tribes in their country. Wetin concern Yoruba Muslims and knowledge? As far e get him Amala dudu ati ewedu, life is ok

@ Ibrahim seerade029
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Seerade029: 10:56am On May 23, 2020
darfay:

Lol Yoruba Muslims and their inferiority complex so I'm no longer bekwarra again I'm now Igbo. Most Yoruba Muslims cannot mention up to 5 tribes in their country. Wetin concern Yoruba Muslims and knowledge? As far e get him Amala dudu ati ewedu, life is ok

@ Ibrahim seerade029

Bekwarra ko, Bekworro ni grin
Chukwudilliah
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 12:41pm On May 23, 2020
Seerade029:

Bekwarra ko, Bekworro ni grin
Chukwudilliah

Mr Ibrahim salisu akanderudeen seerade029
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Moneywomen17(m): 3:09pm On May 23, 2020
darfay:

@ Ibrahim seerade029
love the rant mr abdulahi osu.
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by darfay: 3:03pm On May 24, 2020
Moneywomen17:
love the rant mr abdulahi osu.

Happy salaah Mr salisu Ibrahim abikurudeen
Re: Top 10 States In Nigeria Where The Bekwarra People Of Cross River Can Be Found by Moneywomen17(m): 3:31pm On May 24, 2020
darfay:

Happy salaah Mr salisu Ibrahim abikurudeen
same to u my brother in Islam alhaji abdulahi Ahmed osu.

(1) (Reply)

As A Nigerian Girl How Old Do You Have To Be To Get Married? / Peremabiri Fishing Festival Begins (photos) - Radio Niger Delta / Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.