Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church (643 Views)

Daddy Freeze & Rev Fr Kelvin Ugwu Clash Over Easter Teaching / “Most ‘Miracles’ You See On TV Or Crusades Are Staged” – Fr. Kelvin Ugwu / Paying January Salary To Pastors By Fr Kelvin Ugwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by Dollarseeker: 8:46pm On May 21, 2020
Use of Image in the Catholic Church

Permit me to just make this clarification once again on images. People kept asking questions on images. One said:
"In Exodus 20:4, the Bible stated clearly that: You shall not MAKE FOR YOURSELF a graven image, nor a likeness of anything that is in heaven above or on earth below, nor of those things which are in the waters under the earth.
"But Catholics do not follow this. They have succeeded in making images against God's law. The same thing God is against. Yet you say Catholics are Christians? You think Catholics will make heaven?"
My response:
Leave the question of who goes to heaven or who will not go to heaven. Nobody, I say NOBODY knows who will go there or who will not except God himself. You might even be surprised the people you will see there. So calm down.
On images
Images are not only what is moulded. Images exist all around us, be it pictures, printings, artifacts, carvings, paintings of animals, of loved ones, of the sky, water etc. These are all images all around us. Even as I type this, there are images in your houses. Your profile picture is an image. .
Remember the command: Exodus 20:4 as you quoted.
"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, nor a likeness of ANYTHING that is IN HEAVEN ABOVE or ON EARTH BELOW, nor of those things which are in the waters under the earth."
Following strictly the verse you quoted, and the part I highlighted, no one is allowed by any means to make any image in the form of ANYTHING in heaven above or on Earth beneath or in the waters below.
The key word there is ANYTHING. Don't make images of ANYTHING. Anything means Anything.
All those paintings of the sky in our rooms, all the art collection of images of so many people, animals, and the artifacts in our museum are all against God's law. Our pictures, profile pictures, banners and images of our pastors and wife. . .are forbidden. In the real sense of it, we all are guilty if we are to just follow that verse of the Bible strictly.
So this is not about Catholics, for if God said we should not have images, simple, we should not. Whether it is kept in homes, or on the street or in the church does not matter.
But,
What those who quote Exodus 20:4 failed to look at is that quoting verse 4 of that passage without quoting verse 5, one automatically shoot his or herself on the foot.
It is verse 5 that made us understood the point of that command. That is what gave the context and qualifications of it. This is why an exegete who interprets the bible is better listened to than those who feel they can with emotions explain the Bible. The problem is, they will fail to see the bigger picture of their erroneous interpretation until it dawned on them.
Verse 5 says:
"You shall not adore them, nor shall you worship them. I am the Lord your God."
This is why you are free to take the image of your dad or your child and place on the wall of your house, even though following verse 4, they are images you made for yourself of things God created. This is why you can go out and buy some artifacts and carving which are images of things under the earth or above the heaven and you will not be guilty. Why? Simply because, it was not for the intention of worshipping them.
So you see, the right understanding of that passage is that God does not prohibit images but rather the worship of them. We human cannot survive without images, we use imagery even in talking. Everything around us are images. Even Christ taught with imagery. But you see, because of your bias, you only see images in Catholic Churches without seeing the one right there under your nose.
I know that the next question will be about the accusations that Catholics worship those images. This question is as old as Methuselah. Maybe I will answer in the next post even though it is still funny to me how people believe that I, Fr Kelvin Ugwu and other Catholics, worship images. Chaiiiiii!!!
But before then let me ask, has this one about having images clearer to you now?
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by Kingseex1(m): 8:53pm On May 21, 2020
Understanding and comprehension no easy sha
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by Dollarseeker: 8:56pm On May 21, 2020
lols...watch out for part 2.
reference https://www.faceboo.com/frkelvinugwu/?refid
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by MasterJayJay: 11:42pm On May 21, 2020
Mary had other children after Jesus Christ.

As long as you have chosen to twist, overtwist and misinterpret that portion of the Bible to suit your PERPETUAL VIRGIN MARY concept, then you are not yet free from man-made doctrines that are adulteration of the Bible.

Then ask your pastor to explain why they are asking Mary to intercede for them. Asking a dead person to intercede for you? Really.

When your organization is founded on doctrines that are contrary to the Bible, you would come up with beautiful ridiculous explanations.

1 Like

Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by Dollarseeker: 4:34am On May 22, 2020
MasterJayJay:
Mary had other children after Jesus Christ.

As long as you have chosen to twist, overtwist and misinterpret that portion of the Bible to suit your PERPETUAL VIRGIN MARY concept, then you are not yet free from man-made doctrines that are adulteration of the Bible.

Then ask your pastor to explain why they are asking Mary to intercede for them. Asking a dead person to intercede for you? Really.

When your organization is founded on doctrines that are contrary to the Bible, you would come up with beautiful ridiculous explanations.
lols a little research on this will help u...don't be lazy. Do a research yourself and discover the truth. After that, you will know who is misinterpreting the bible, whether its the Catholic church, founded by Christ and stood with the teachings of the early disciples and apostles including the saints and passed down continuously or your pastor who teaches from his mere understanding. A little research by yourself, will really help u in knowing the truth about Christ.
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by ABOVEDELAW: 7:07am On May 22, 2020
CATHOLIC CHURCH, FOUNDED BY JESUS CHRIST wink HABA!
!
Dollarseeker:
lols a little research on this will help u...don't be lazy. Do a research yourself and discover the truth. After that, you will know who is misinterpreting the bible, whether its the Catholic church, founded by Christ and stood with the teachings of the early disciples and apostles including the saints and passed down continuously or your pastor who teaches from his mere understanding. A little research by yourself, will really help u in knowing the truth about Christ.
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by MasterJayJay: 7:13am On May 22, 2020
Dollarseeker:
You have mentioned one of the institutionalized FALSE INTERPRETATIONS.
Many of you are quick to SHOUT 'Do Research'. But you don't research, you feed from the false bulletin from your organization.

The name “Peter” was a nickname given to Simon by Jesus, all the way back in John 1:42 when Peter first met Jesus. Coming from the Greek word petros (or the Aramaic word “Cephas”), the name Peter means “Rock” or “Stone.” To use an English equivalent, Peter means “Rocky.” But when Jesus said, “I say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church,” He differentiated between Peter and the “rock” by using two different Greek words. The name Peter is petros, but the word for “rock” is petra . Those terms may sound similar to us, but ancient Greek literature shows that they actually refer to two different things. Petros was used to signify a small stone; petra , by contrast,
referred to bedrock or a large foundation boulder (cf. Matt. 7:24-25). So, to paraphrase Jesus’ words, the Lord told Peter, “I say to you that you are a small stone, and upon this bedrock I will build My church.” It was
a play on words that made a significant spiritual point.
What then was the bedrock to which Jesus was referring? The answer to that question comes a couple verses earlier in Matthew 16. Matthew 16:13–17: Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” [14] And they said, “Some say John
the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” [15] He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” [16] Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” [17] And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.”
Peter was just a small stone built atop the bedrock of something much bigger than himself: namely, the truth that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God. Put simply, Peter was not the rock; Christ is the Rock. And as Peter and the other apostles testified to the truth about Christ (which Peter did in verse 16), the church was built upon its only sure foundation. The rest of the New Testament bears this out.
In 1 Corinthians 3:11, Paul wrote that " no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is
Jesus Christ.”
In Ephesians 2:20, Paul further explained that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone on which the church is founded by the apostles.
Even Peter himself, in 1 Peter 2:1–10 compared all believers to small stones that are part of the superstructure of the church. By contrast, Peter noted in
vv. 6, 7, the Lord Jesus is the cornerstone on which the church is built.
Re: Fr Kelvin Ugwu - On The Use Of Image In The Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 7:15am On May 22, 2020
Dollarseeker:
I am sorry but you are wrong. The Catholic church was not founded by Jesus Christ -- the church of rome was built on the doctrines and traditions of men, and it has always been manipulated by the doctrines of men, not of Christ.
Even the use of the title "Father" by the priests today goes against the very teaching of Christ.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: The Bomb I Threw Last Sunday, They Were Gyrating And Vibrating! / Which God Was David Worshiping Before The Jesus(stories)was Jesus A God / Is There Spiritual Effect Of Yahoo Without Juju?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.