Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Mory Kanté Is Dead - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Mory Kanté Is Dead (20192 Views)

See How Modest N'golo Kanté Dressed To Fabregas' Wedding Party / Okwy Chukwujekwu "Main Bossman" Is Dead (Photos, Video) / Kasimu Yero "Uncle Gaga" Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by rapsie: 6:48pm On May 22, 2020
RIP Sir.

I loved the track back then even if I neva understood the language.

The song really rocked the world then.
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Pacesetter123(m): 7:02pm On May 22, 2020
Do I know him?
Yes, it's like I do.He must be a father to de great Blues man,N'golo Kante.No wonder dey said he used to go to France for treatment.Ur son is doing some great job at de almighty blues family.
Pls,no one should mention me for any argument.I am eating right now.I won't av time for reply.Thanks all.

RIP music icon.Farewell sir!
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Okoroawusa: 7:57pm On May 22, 2020
I remember this song...

Wow. NTA days.

This generation is lucky. So many avenues of entertainment.

We had NTA 2 Channel 5 n NTA Channel 10 . Then LagosTV n on weekends they call it Lagos Weekend TV.

On Radio we had FRCN where we listened to Bisi Olatilo n China Anyamkpa n others I can't remember now.

One of the best things to happen to Nigeria's media n entertainment industry was the giving of licences to private TV n radio stations.

1 Like

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Okoroawusa: 8:00pm On May 22, 2020
naptu2:

The European Economic Community (EEC), later known as the European Union, sponsored a series of documentaries in Africa and they were shown on NTA2 Channel 5 in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This song was the theme song of the documentary.

NTA2 Channel 5 also briefly used it in one of their station idents.
I also enjoyed watching URTNA 1/2 hour. The programme exposed us to so many African musics n artistes.
I stayed glued to the TV anytime it aired.
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Okoroawusa: 8:02pm On May 22, 2020
Someone7:
Keep walking if you're below 30 years grin
Even 35 might not understand
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by demsy21(m): 8:03pm On May 22, 2020
A legend just gone. He was the face of Kora in the world. If you don't know, Kora is one of Africa most popular musical instrument after talking drum and "Shekere". A culture heritage that originated from the Madinka ethnic tribe (Kunta Kinte's people), a tribe spread all across more than 8 countries in West Africa (Côte d'ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Sénégal, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, even Bissau Guinea). Wherever, you find the Madinka, they share same languages and culture. Mory Kanté, according to his kinsmen's traditions, was a "Griot" which we can refer to in English as an "eulogizer". A griot performs many functions in the old Madinka society. He is a town crier by default, he attends marriages, burial, naming ceremony, etc... He is held in high esteem in the community, and Mory was. I really enjoyed his music. Alas! He bade farewell! His legacy will keep us entertained for a very long time. embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by ceeceeuwa: 8:08pm On May 22, 2020
I remember the song, nostalgic! RIP great man!!!
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by rhames(m): 8:13pm On May 22, 2020
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52774331

I had this song on a personal cassette and was the first song i listened to after prayers every morning back in the 1990s.

Rest in Peace Kante.
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Worksunlimited: 8:15pm On May 22, 2020
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52774331

If you no sabe this song, pls add bros to our names....
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by ikorodureporta: 8:16pm On May 22, 2020
johnchima007:
Abeg recommend classic African songs make I down bro. Thanks.

RIP Mory...

Dnt have pure African collection, jst a few songs

Naptu2 help out!

1 Like

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by naptu2: 8:30pm On May 22, 2020
Okoroawusa:

I also enjoyed watching URTNA 1/2 hour. The programme exposed us to so many African musics n artistes.
I stayed glued to the TV anytime it aired.

URTNA! They always showed Nayanka Bell from Ivory Coast and Zangalewa from Cameroon. They also showed a lot of Alpha Blondy and Lucky Dube's songs.

naptu2:
This song was another favourite of NTA2 Channel 5 in the late '80s. It was covered by Shakira for her 2010 World Cup song (Waka Waka).

They were made honorary members of the Cameroon Army by President Biya. They are also the official entertainers of the president.

Djibe, War don come (hey!)
Djibe, na me call am (hey!)
Djibe, na army (hey!)
E djibe djibe. Zangalewa.

E djibe djibe ey!
E djibe djibe zangalewa

Zangalewa of Cameroon - Zamina Mina Zangalewa (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC_YHGweLs

Nayanka Bell – Iwassado (1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7ZCJCglLc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Okoroawusa: 8:37pm On May 22, 2020
naptu2:

URTNA! They always showed Nayanka Bell from Ivory Coast and Zangalewa from Cameroon. They also showed a lot of Alpha Blondy and Lucky Dube's songs.

Nayanka Bell – Iwassado (1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7ZCJCglLc
You don old like me o!

We come Nairaland dey claim young boys hahahahaha!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by layuns(m): 9:14pm On May 22, 2020
Oh the classic Yeke yeke song. Am getting old indeed! Rest in peace Mr Kante.
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 22, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Even 35 might not be understand

I'm telling you!
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by Legendguru: 10:22pm On May 22, 2020
oh
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by abbiboy: 1:55am On May 23, 2020
Yes o..grow up watching pratrik something use to show us this hit songs back.
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by abbiboy: 1:58am On May 23, 2020
Okoroawusa:

You don old like me o!

We come Nairaland dey claim young boys hahahahaha!
What happen to that station..faded away with NTA 2 channel oh!die beloveth nta.

How time fly's sha!
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by bibiking7(m): 5:34am On May 23, 2020

They used to play this song alot on NTA 2 channel 5. RIP Mr Mory.

The days of sunday rendezvous. cheesy

Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by AFONJACOW(m): 6:05am On May 23, 2020
We only knew Ngole Kante of Chelsea Fc any other Kante nah big scam... Anyway rip papa Kante
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by gloryfidedesign(m): 1:37pm On May 23, 2020
Another African voice just left.
Rip
Re: Mory Kanté Is Dead by dazzlingd(m): 1:52pm On May 23, 2020
Farewell! As you journey across the universe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Have Raised Over One Million For "Baba Suwe" - Yomi Fabiyi / Do's And Don'ts Of Celebrities Section / Pretty Mike: "Heaven Is Certain For Me, Give Your Life To Christ Now"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.