Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (32896 Views)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2020
mokkalu1:
Can people stop bringing up King of Boys when we are talking about decent movies? It's below average.

I honestly don't understand people's craze about KOB honestly. For one it was unnecessarily long. I began to find it boring at some point

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 9:59am On May 29, 2020
Salem17:
I liked the movie but I wasn't wowed.

First the storyline wasn't too impressive,I didn't even find anything interesting about it. I like to pay attention to the plot in a movie except if its just comedy.

And then some characters were just not utilized like Chief Omego or unnecessary like Uzoma(acting like a junkie).

Besides the display of luxury and the fact that the original work was a classic I see nothing exceptional about the movie.

Uzoma was a necessary character; he was a link between Andy Okeke and Nnamdi Okeke. He wasn't acting like a junkie, there is a term for people like that, although it skips my mind now. But, there are characters that are like that; since he had something to to obsessive over, I understood the behavior.

Like, I said earlier, the plot is not what captured most people, but the execution.

If you want a movie with a great plot, you should see The Setup, it has one of the best plots from a Nigerian movie I saw all last year.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nnamebuka: 10:00am On May 29, 2020
obailala:
The movie was amazing amazing! It easily stands out as my best nollywood movie ever. Cant remember when last I watched a Nigerian movie and was impressed; the picture quality, the video transitions, the sound effects and soundtracks. I also loved the way the story perfectly picked up from the old story as a seamless sequel. I enjoyed it so much that I watched it twice! Nothing could be weirder than that.

I agree with the Ramsey Nouah Igbo flaw though, he could have practiced those lines better. Only character I didnt like was the Uzoma dude, he felt too non-nigerian, too misplaced and too fake in my opinion.
Apart from the cinematography nothing else cut it for me in that movie. How would you explain that a young man has been worried over the identity of his biological father only to be presented with a likely lead but he chose to look the other way? When Andy came to Nnamdi with the confession that he is his father I expected that revelation to change the dynamics of the storyline. It's usually inherent among male species to want to know their paternal affiliation in Nigeria if not the world over. They just acted like nothing happened and went on with the movie. It could have been better if they had made Andy get in touch with Nnamdi only at the hospital after maybe repeated failed attempt to see him. And maybe that's where he'll reveal his identity to his son.

I also expected chief Mike (Bob-Manuel Udikwu) to play a prominent role being one of the major stakeholders in the occult of the original LIB. Instead his role could best be described as a waka pass. For a legendary actor like that? Haba!

I won't lie the dialogue was good. No waste of precious time in unnecessary chitchat.

I'm constantly on Mtel unlimited data plan and practically live in Netflix and prefers to watch well researched and executed movies. Movies that add to your I.Q and not all these over-hyped Nigerian movies. However when I decided to give it a shot during this lockdown except for KOB which I thoroughly enjoyed I'd practically left many half-way.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by kendrick9(m): 10:00am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

I've watched that movie twice and the most wow thing in it for me, was the scenes where they found money inside soakaway and coffins, and even those scenes seemed a bit off to me.

A lot of people would describe the acting as melodramatic, especially from Shola. But, to each their own.
That woman Shola always over acts.... in every movie...
Its just shola playing shola in different movies...

5 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 10:01am On May 29, 2020
Nollywood should try n look beyond occultics. i mean, this genre is expired

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 10:02am On May 29, 2020
JeffreyJames:

I honestly don't understand people's craze about KOB honestly. For one it was unnecessarily long. I began to find it boring at some point

I swear, it was unnecessarily long. It was so melodramatic, all that screaming and wailing at some point. It could have ended where Sola's kids died, but they had to drag it along for another half an hour or so. There were too many unnecessary scenes and not enough explanations, like, who broke her out of the burning prison?

I suppose part 2 will explain the missing parts.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:05am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

I swear, it was unnecessarily long. It was so melodramatic, all that screaming and wailing at some point. It could have ended where Sola's kids died, but they had to drag it along for another half an hour or so. There were too many unnecessary scenes and not enough explanations, like, who broke her out of the burning prison?

I suppose part 2 will explain the missing parts.

It was the EFCC guy that broke her out.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:06am On May 29, 2020
Liposure:
Nollywood should try n look beyond occultics. i mean, this genre is expired

It's not expired. It has only been modernized. Those who know , Know!

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 10:07am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

Apart from the cinematography nothing else cut it for me in that movie. How would you explain that a young man has been worried over the identity of his biological father only to be presented with a likely lead but he chose to look the other way? When Andy came to Nnamdi with the confession that he is his father I expected that revelation to change the dynamics of the storyline. It's usually inherent among male species to want to know their paternal affiliation in Nigeria if not the world over.

I also expected chief Mike (Bob-Manuel Udikwu) to play a prominent role being one of the major stakeholders in the occult of the original LIB. Instead his role could best be described as a waka pass. For a legendary actor like that? Haba!

I won't like the dialogue was cook. No waste of precious time in unnecessary chitchat.

I'm constantly on Mtel unlimited data plan and practically live in Netflix and prefers to watch well researched and executed movies. Movies that add to your I.Q and not all these over-hyped Nigerian movies. However when I decided to give it a shot during this lockdown except for KOB which I thoroughly enjoyed I'd practically left many half-way.
How will it change the dynamics?

Andy came to Nnamdi and claimed he was sent by the same journalist that called Nnamdi earlier to warn him of Richard Williams. He didn't even bother to establish some other thing to link them. Then, he goes into some gist about the same men being dangerous?

What is the likelihood that the same journalist did not send this man to say he was his father? And, how convenient that he makes an entrance, after he has hit it big.

There was nothing odd about that scene. It was right on the money, and I did not expect much change from it, because most people would be wary of an estranged father that waltzes into your life in that manner.

Chief Mike cannot play a prominent role, this story is not his story. Those guys from part 1 were mostly just fillers, to connect both stories, they were not meant to play major roles.

I hope your IQ received a major boost from watching a movie; I depend on documentaries to boost my IQ, movies are for entertainment.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by i124k(m): 10:07am On May 29, 2020
Ramsey Noah be acting doctor strange

3 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by heniford2: 10:07am On May 29, 2020
living in bondage Mehn that film really try oh to me i will give it 8/10 please whats the name of The KBO

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 10:09am On May 29, 2020
JeffreyJames:

It was the EFCC guy that broke her out.

Okay.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 10:09am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

If you want a movie with a great plot, you should see The Setup, it has one of the best plots from a Nigerian movie I saw all last year.
i ve heard a lot about dat movie. Looking 4ward
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Respect55(m): 10:10am On May 29, 2020
zicoraads:

I never found the 'Wow' thing with KOB.

Up till this moment, I haven't finished watching the movie.

Anyway, it's the thing about choices.
Any link for download?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:11am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

Apart from the cinematography nothing else cut it for me in that movie. How would you explain that a young man has been worried over the identity of his biological father only to be presented with a likely lead but he chose to look the other way? When Andy came to Nnamdi with the confession that he is his father I expected that revelation to change the dynamics of the storyline. It's usually inherent among male species to want to know their paternal affiliation in Nigeria if not the world over. They just acted like nothing happened and went on with the movie. It could have been better if they had made Andy get in touch with Nnamdi only at the hospital after maybe repeated failed attempt to see him. And maybe that's where he'll reveal his identity to his son.

I won't lie the dialogue was good. No waste of precious time in unnecessary chitchat.

Lol Bro, if you paid attention, you would find out that it was the curiousity about his father that led him to the that Woman's house in Lagos. But then again he got carried away by the riches that was coming his way after that visit. And if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you find it suspicious that after years of struggling you finally made money, then one man shows up to claim he's your father?

As for the Waka pass role of Chief Mike, if you listened well, the story wasn't really about them. The story was basically between Nnamdi and Richard Williams. I personally felt chief Mike was in the picture just for some nostalgic feeling.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 10:14am On May 29, 2020
I prefer Gold Statue
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nnamebuka: 10:14am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

How will it change the dynamics?

Andy came to Nnamdi and claimed he was sent by the same journalist that called Nnamdi earlier to warn him of Richard Williams. He didn't even bother to establish some other thing to link them. Then, he goes into some gist about the same men being dangerous?

What is the likelihood that the same journalist did not send this man to say he was his father? And, how convenient that he makes an entrance, after he has hit it big.

There was nothing odd about that scene. It was right on the money, and I did not expect much change from it, because most people would be wary of an estranged father that waltzes into your life in that manner.
Many a guy in his shoes would run a background check while having the liberty of scepticism.

There's no way to be logical around this very obvious flaw. Maybe because you're not a man, you don't know how serious such matters usually are to them.

cc: JeffreyJames
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Liposure: 10:14am On May 29, 2020
JeffreyJames:

It's not expired. It has only been modernized. Those who know , Know!
what is there 2 modernize
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 10:15am On May 29, 2020
JeffreyJames:

Lol Bro, if you paid attention, you would find out that it was the curiousity about his father that led him to the that Woman's house in Lagos. But then again he got carried away by the riches that was coming his way after that visit. And if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you find it suspicious that after years of struggling you finally made money, then one man shows up to claim he's your father?

As for the Waka pass role of Chief Mike, if you listened well, the story wasn't really about them. The story was basically between Nnamdi and Richard Williams. I personally felt chief Mike was in the picture just for some nostalgic feeling.
thank you.

A lot of people seem to not know how to watch movies. How can Chief Mike have a major role?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by heniford2: 10:15am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Okay.
do you know the movie KBO movie dear
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:16am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Okay.

Living in bondage was dope to me though. I loved that church scene grin. Goes to show you truly that even the devil knows the Bible. And the conversation about Pastors coming to him for powers is another table that was wobbled lol.

I also liked to say kudos to Chief Okeowo for allowing them use his $12 million mansion for the movie sha.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 10:16am On May 29, 2020
Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.

In contrast, I still get chills from Akorode's (Makanaky) exchange with "what's-her-name-now"...where she vowed to stretch her hands over his dead body. KOB is definitely a movie that should have worn multiple awards. This Living in Bondage 2 was just hype no substance.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:16am On May 29, 2020
Liposure:
what is there 2 modernize

You would agree with me that there are a lot of unexplained "billionaires" in the country today, No?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by kingthreat(m): 10:17am On May 29, 2020
The writers of that movie made the difference. C J Obasi is prolific. He tried to save the bad script in "Lionheart" but in Living in Bondage, he must have been given a good playing ground. That is why the storyline flows very well in the movie. Ramsey Nouah also used the movie to prove that he could be way better than many whacko directors in Nollywood. His acting also kept the movie going. I feel JK, the lead actor could have been replaced with a stronger better actor though. All in all, it was an excellent sell for Nollywood. It deserved the awards it earned.

My worst part of the movie was when Kenneth Okonkwo met the JK and introduced himself as his father. That scene should have been way deeper. A son who thought his father was late, now getting to meet a man who introduced himself as his father. There are many feelings in play at that point: doubt, pain, anger, redemption, happiness, etc. The scene failed to depict that. @Safarigirl, what do you deduce on this?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:18am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

Many a guy in his shoes would run a background check while having the liberty of scepticism.

There's no way to be logical around this very obvious flaw. Maybe because you're not a man, you don't know how serious such matters usually are to them.

cc: JeffreyJames

Lol Bro, I am a man. If you study the Nnamdi character, does he seem like someone interested in knowing about his family background or someone more interested in "making it in life"?

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Respect55(m): 10:18am On May 29, 2020
ellahzy:
I saw LIB few days ago and I'm super impressed.
Nice acting and I love the fact that the lead character isn't a familiar face, yet he acted so well.

I also noticed the green screen in the Ferrari scene apart from that the graphics are nice.

I also feel that KOB is overrated I have lots of reasons.
Hey, pls any link to download these two movies?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 10:18am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

Many a guy that come into new money will run background checks on someone who comes out of nowhere to claim relationship?

You are writing another movie my guy. Maybe they will do a second part and infuse the background check.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by JeffreyJames(m): 10:20am On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
thank you.

A lot of people seem to not know how to watch movies. How can Chief Mike have a major role?

That is the thing I have come to notice about a lot of Nigerian movie watchers. They don't pay attention to the conversations in the movie to be able to understand some scenes that have been showed, or some things that are off screen. It's not everything a movie would show. It is from the dialogue you will be able to understand the characters of a movie.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by sinola(m): 10:20am On May 29, 2020
zicoraads:
I just finished watching it on Netflix some few minutes ago. I think I watched the first one, but not too sure now.

The movie was good. The quality, the dialogue, the actors, etc. all knew their roles well and delivered on it.

I loved that Nnamdi's lady. Who's she? I think I've found my soul mate. grin cheesy

I don't know about the ending though. Felt somewhat unrealistic in my opinion.

You mean Nancy isime....??

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by obailala(m): 10:21am On May 29, 2020
Nnamebuka:

No offense but KOB didnt cut it for me, it was just another one of those typical nollywood movies shot with a nice camera, with everyone forming 'gangster', nothing more.

Regarding the Andy Okeke meeting and confession to his son, no the son didnt just look the other way, he was still thinking deeply about it just like anyone would. But obviously he dismissed it because it would typically seem like a scam that your long lost father just appears the moment you make money, only to start telling you tales of how your benevolent benefactor is a 'devil'. Nnamdi shrugged it off as the words of a deluded scammer because he didnt even believe in the whole money ritual tale (remember when he sarcastically asked Mr Nworie whether there was anything like money rituals in 2019).

Regarding Chief Mike and Omego, they weren't necessarily meant to be a part of the movie, they just made necessary 'appearances'. Just seeing their faces was enough for me.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by heniford2: 10:22am On May 29, 2020
obailala:
No offense but KOB didnt cut it for me, it was just another one of those typical nollywood movies shot with a nice camera, with everyone forming 'gangster', nothing more.

Regarding the Andy Okeke meeting and confession to his son, no the son didnt just look the other way, he was still thinking deeply about it just like anyone would. But obviously he dismissed it because it would typically seem like a scam that your long lost father just appears the moment you make money, only to start telling you tales of how your benevolent benefactor is a 'devil'. Nnamdi shrugged it off as the words of a deluded scammer because he didnt even believe in the whole money ritual tale (remember when he sarcastically asked Mr Nworie whether there was anything like money rituals in 2019).

Regarding Chief Mike and Omego, they weren't necessarily meant to be a part of the movie, they just made necessary 'appearances'. Just seeing their faces was enough for me.
KOB whats the name of movie
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Asadujames202(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2020
obailala:
So if a movie is made about a group of robbers terrorising a city, it automatically means the movie is promoting armed robbery? What brand of hypocritical reasoning is this? Wonders shall never end!

Is our Nigerian and African society not awash with ritual killings all over the place?

Stop quoting that "thing"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BBNaija: Miracle & Nina Sleep In Each Other’s Arm After Reconciling / BBNaija: The Moment Miracle Was Announced The Winner (Video) / #BBNaija: Tobi Replies 'Yoruba Demons Association' With Hilarious Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.