Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,459 members, 7,808,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (32899 Views)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by hotplate: 12:03pm On May 29, 2020
i dont know how people watch movie or how they rate it, it amusing to hear people rate LIB above KOB no doubt the both were great movie. LIB was a remake of a movie which many people already could tell what the plot is like. having said that the movie LIB was commendable for its interpretation of roles but then there was not even a single twist or suspense to keep you on your toes...
But you see KOB from plot to character interpretation to suspense the movie was top notch...
Kudos to the new Nollywood

3 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Bibyken(f): 12:08pm On May 29, 2020
Absolutely right!!!
Oladoyinipede:
I haven't watched Lib but I'm amused to see some people describe KOB as 'wow', it's a movie that should get a high rating for amateurish delivery of character roles by most of the cast;over reactive sola sobowale, mechanical adesuwa,members of 4 corner table (or whatever)who speak like church ministers,thugs;who make you wonder if thugs we're like this, then Lagos and ibadan would be very peaceful.and so on ..kemi failed to take notes of details,the intended plot,might have been okay but the director didn't pull it off.it was a bold attempt from her though. she wanted something different from conventional nollywood.but it's not 'wow'

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Cuntface: 12:10pm On May 29, 2020
Plead:
Watching Nigerian film in 2020?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by itzMizELo(f): 12:22pm On May 29, 2020
Please who has the link to download God calling or a website I can download it? I've been wanting to watch it since.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Thewesterner(m): 12:26pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better.

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke
Aside Netflix, is there any other site that these films can be downloaded?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Thewesterner(m): 12:27pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better.

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke
Aside Netflix, is there any other sites that these movies can be downloaded?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Mexyz(m): 12:31pm On May 29, 2020
quote author=iamloyalty post=90080715]

I just did and seriously I will Rate it 5/10. if not that it is Ramson Noah first directory debut and he is one of my favorite I would have just call him up to refund my money.[/quote] grin grin

I enjoyed it though
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Enyman: 12:37pm On May 29, 2020
Well I've seen Ratnik trailer...too many oyibo things...robot shooting and stuff..we've seen enough of that in foreign movies,I appreciate more stories that are indigeous and our local stories,don't know the criteria they use in Amvca but the Oscars international film category uses that criteria....quote author=iamloyalty post=89886834]

I wont be too sure for Kemi Adetiba some competitive movies are already in the works, one is Ratnik it already won two award during the Amvca even though it not yet out. U watch the trailer on YouTube very impressive.[/quote]
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 12:43pm On May 29, 2020
Enyman:
Well I've seen Ratnik trailer...too many oyibo things...robot shooting and stuff..we've seen enough of that in foreign movies,I appreciate more stories that are indigeous and our local stories,don't know the criteria they use in Amvca but the Oscars international film category uses that criteria....quote author=iamloyalty post=89886834]

It will be impressive for the African audience since it will be the first time Nollywood has such a concept.

I wont be too sure for Kemi Adetiba some competitive movies are already in the works, one is Ratnik it already won two award during the Amvca even though it not yet out. U watch the trailer on YouTube very impressive.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Myer(m): 12:45pm On May 29, 2020
Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.

Honestly, I kept waiting for the interesting part right up until the movie ended.
Considering the reviews I had read, it was an anti-climax.
Though the cinematography was impressive.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Yabsun(m): 1:12pm On May 29, 2020
LIB casts put up great act. Cinematography of the movie is a top notch. Directing? just wow! Ramsey Noah delivered so well. But you see KOB ehn, I like the movie as it keeps you on your toes till the end. You can't easily predict when it's ending. LIB is quite predictable. Both movies are just ok. For greater suspense and twist, I'd give it to this movie: The Set Up

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Hoephase: 1:15pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Not only occultist but cannibals gringringringrin

Nope they are not like you. Are not the whose cousins dug up your late grandfather corpse only to steal his skull.

I also heard that your great grand father cousin from Ekiti that his great grand children also raided his burial place while hunting for skulls.

That reminds me that your aunty Fumi that went missing somewhere around Mokola in IB rumour has it that her skull and private parts were harvested by that your other uncle that stays in Oshogbo.

No wonder you don't visit your village because you know that your skull is not safe that is why you keep claiming Lagos state. grin

Go your village and watch your skull ends up in your cousin's backpack on his way to babalawo shrine

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 29, 2020
Hoephase:

Nope they are not like you. Are not the whose cousins dug up your late grandfather corpse only to steal his skull.

I also heard that your great grand father cousin from Ekiti that his great grand children also raided his burial place while hunting for skulls.

That reminds me that your aunty Fumi that went missing somewhere around Mokola in IB rumour has it that her skull and private parts were harvested by that your other uncle that stays in Oshogbo.

No wonder you don't visit your village because you know that your skull is not safe that is why you keep claiming Lagos state. grin

Go your village and watch your skull ends up in your cousin's backpack on his way to babalawo shrine

Here comes the cannibals.... Ebhoes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 29, 2020
nijabazaar:

KOB is only relatable if you grew up in lagos or resident there. Aside that, its pretty boring and if you are so used to premium Netflix content, you will simply term it Melodramatic. Ever wondered why Lionheart was nominated as against KOB. The answer is Subtle interpretation of roles.

Ebhoes here again

Lionheart dt was Sent packing from Oscar...
Shane on lion heart gringrin
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 29, 2020
Oladoyinipede:
I haven't watched Lib but I'm amused to see some people describe KOB as 'wow', it's a movie that should get a high rating for amateurish delivery of character roles by most of the cast;over reactive sola sobowale, mechanical adesuwa,members of 4 corner table (or whatever)who speak like church ministers,thugs;who make you wonder if thugs we're like this, then Lagos and ibadan would be very peaceful.and so on ..kemi failed to take notes of details,the intended plot,might have been okay but the director didn't pull it off.it was a bold attempt from her though. she wanted something different from conventional nollywood.but it's not 'wow'

Sorry ooo pained igbo pikin

See as u analyze, oya produce ur own na abi u think say e remember those asaba movies..

Ebhoes can hate ehnnnn... Hatred is in their blood
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:26pm On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:

Ur own self gud, me na my time and money I waste on Living in bondage.

Did you watch it in the cinemas?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:28pm On May 29, 2020
kams19:
best Nollywood movie this period is Anchor baby. it beats living in Bondage, King of boys etc
Anchor Baby is four years old though, not the same period.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 29, 2020
Bobby95:
Saw this movie 1st week of december last year at Genesis. In my opinion it d best 9ja movie i have seen in a very long time. D story was normal but the cinematography was well executed for a 9ja movie. I have seen KoB and to me everything about dis movie was just plain. LiB over KoB anytime. U see ramsey Noah ehn, dat guy na badass actor. My opinion tho.
Yes eboes opinion....

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Hoephase: 1:29pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Here comes the cannibals.... Ebhoes

Nope here comes the guys exposing your heritage to the world.

I know your story that your cousins had to dig up your late grandfather corpse only to steal his skull.

Go your village and watch your skull ends up in your cousin's backpack on his way to babalawo shrine.

Isn't why you created this knew moniker few days ago? grin
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:29pm On May 29, 2020
Thewesterner:
Aside Netflix, is there any other site that these films can be downloaded?
9jarocks has every Nigerian movie you may want to see
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:30pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Yes eboes opinion....
seun, lakasticlala and other necessary parties, please, remove this nuisance from this thread if you can
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by neloyah: 1:33pm On May 29, 2020
obailala:
The movie was amazing amazing! It easily stands out as my best nollywood movie ever. Cant remember when last I watched a Nigerian movie and was impressed; the picture quality, the video transitions, the sound effects and soundtracks. I also loved the way the story perfectly picked up from the old story as a seamless sequel. I enjoyed it so much that I watched it twice! Nothing could be weirder than that.

I agree with the Ramsey Nouah Igbo flaw though, he could have practiced those lines better. Only character I didnt like was the Uzoma dude, he felt too non-nigerian, too misplaced and too fake in my opinion.

Like when he said egwuregwu with so much gusto grin
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
seu.n, lakasticlala and other necessary parties, please, remove this nuisance from this thread if you can

They shud remove me but leave it bloda Hoephase Insulting Yoruba tribe.. Cry me river, always pained when ur tribe is attack but attack other tribe with joy... Pained fellow gringringringrin

Abeg why are eboes always pained when insulted but they can insult other tribes with joy??

Hoephase:

Nope here comes the guys exposing your heritage to the world.

I know your story that your cousins had to dig up your late grandfather corpse only to steal his skull.

Go your village and watch your skull ends up in your cousin's backpack on his way to babalawo shrine.

Isn't why you created this knew moniker few days ago? grin

Hoephase:

Of course you won't see the ones being killed in SA. Or the ones that are running amork in the UK. grin.

Please make una no start this una yeye tribal nonsense.

Come UK here make you see wetin our SW brothers dey do here you go weep for them.

Go check the name of the drug traffickers that are in the UAE and tell me who is dragging first position with the Northerners there if not the SW.

There are bad Nigerians everywhere as well as the good ones.

So this is not the time to bring your ethnic bull shit into this.

What evidence do you have that the guy was guilty of what he was accused of?

Is that not how you guys always accuse every nice looking guy of being a cultism or yahoo yahoo guy until people like you killed 3 innocent young boys in aluu.

You had better stop supporting evil hence it will consume you some day.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by scoundrel(f): 1:36pm On May 29, 2020
As usual this platform carries last in everything, no different from its parent country. I used a friend’s account last year to ask for a review of this movie. Till today the thread remains empty with about 185 total views. People believe Nigeria is getting better knowledge-wise with easy access to the internet, but I’m yet to see the benefit. Nigerians still remain stupid as usual.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:40pm On May 29, 2020
scoundrel:
As usual this platform carries last in everything, no different from its parent country. I used a friend’s account last year to ask for a review of this movie. Till today the thread remains empty with about 185 total views. People believe Nigeria is getting better knowledge-wise with easy access to the internet, but I’m yet to see the benefit. Nigerians still remain stupid as usual.

You must be late to the party, like me.

This movie was already reviewed last year by someone else on this site. I couldn't watch it as at then, due to my location, and by the time I was back in Abuja, it was out of the cinemas. I just watched it on Netflix and decided to do a review myself, the mods were magnanimous enough to bring it to front page.

On this one, dem no carry last.

Nigerians are getting better knowledge-wise, Nairaland is not the only platform used by Nigerians. I don't see the purpose for your derisive words

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

Did you watch it in the cinemas?
No.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:43pm On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:

No.
so, which money did you spend? Data money?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
so, which money did you spend? Data money?

Data money na free?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by bandOFhorses: 1:47pm On May 29, 2020
Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.

My take?

All she said smiley
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by selch(m): 1:50pm On May 29, 2020
I honestly don't know what people are complaining about, Both LIB and KOB are both great movies, each with its story, KOB is more original as the story line has not been used before in Nigeria, d acting is superb you should see d crying scenes, she was actually crying for her daughter death, reminisce too was good. LIB u have to give it to Ramsey Noah and Nnamdi d village boy that refuses to hear until its almost too late, they are both great movies, Ratnik too should be a great movie, rather than discourage anyone we should celebrate them all, nollywood has come a long way from village unrealistic movies that waste your time to modern ages, if u have not watched either please download them and watch, u won't be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Hoephase: 1:50pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

They shud remove me but leave it bloda Hoephase Insulting Yoruba tribe.. Cry me river, always pained when ur tribe is attack but attack other tribe with joy... Pained fellow gringringringrin

Abeg why are eboes always pained when insulted but they can insult other tribes with joy??

Cry me a river. I never insulted any tribe.

I insulted you personally for attacking the Igbos you might be a deluded Yoruba man.

You being a deluded Yoruba man does not give me the right to insult the Yoruba people in any form. I am not as senseless as you are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BBNaija: Miracle & Nina Sleep In Each Other’s Arm After Reconciling / BBNaija: The Moment Miracle Was Announced The Winner (Video) / #BBNaija: Tobi Replies 'Yoruba Demons Association' With Hilarious Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.