Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (32898 Views)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 29, 2020
nijabazaar:

KOB is only relatable if you grew up in lagos or resident there. Aside that, its pretty boring and if you are so used to premium Netflix content, you will simply term it Melodramatic. Ever wondered why Lionheart was nominated as against KOB. The answer is Subtle interpretation of roles.

I haven't stepped my feet on any Western state nor do I understand yourba yet I can relate. Besides Lionheart was not "nominated"for Oscars it was "submitted" and we all know the end product of that submission.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 29, 2020
Hoephase:

Cry me a river. I never insulted any tribe.

I insulted you personally for attacking the Igbos you might be a deluded Yoruba man.

You being a deluded Yoruba man does not give me the right to insult the Yoruba people in any form. I am not as senseless as you are.

Ebhoes.... Ur people have been killed in India for stealing... gringrin

Though it's painful but I don't know why am doing this... It ought not to be... He might be innocent but for tribalism sake...

Ebhoes are flesh eaters grin

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:56pm On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:

Data money na free?
LOL

If you spend money, e no go pass 500 naira. I would have reimbursed you, but I did tell you not to watch it anyway, because I knew you would come back with bad reviews.

Make 500 naira no disturb you like that, you waste more browsing the internet. Some people spent up to 10,000 naira, and nothing less than 5,500 naira recently, to see the movie in a drive-in cinema. Let God favor us.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Tonnyray: 1:57pm On May 29, 2020
Dikebuka:
Got to 9jarocks.com
Its dia
Got it.
Thanks brah
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 1:58pm On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:

I haven't stepped my feet on any Western state nor do I understand yourba yet I can relate. Besides Lionheart was not "nominated"for Oscars it was "submitted" and we all know the end product of that submission.

If only someone had submitted King Of Boys, we would be associating it with an Oscars rejection too grin
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Hoephase: 2:02pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Ebhoes.... Ur people have been killed in India for stealing... gringrin

Though it's painful but I don't know why am doing this... It ought not to be... He might be innocent but for tribalism sake...

Ebhoes are flesh eaters grin

When someone calls you out you will say I was the one insulting the Yorubas.

Like I was told your cousins had to dig up your late grandfather corpse only to steal his skull.

I also heard that your great grand father cousin from Ekiti that his great grand children also raided his burial place while hunting for skulls.

That reminds me that your aunty Fumi that went missing somewhere around Mokola in IB rumour has it that her skull and private parts were harvested by that your other uncle that stays in Oshogbo.

No wonder you don't visit your village because you know that your skull is not safe that is why you keep claiming Lagos state. grin

Go your village and watch your skull ends up in your cousin's backpack on his way to babalawo shrine. grin grin

Below is the news on your cousin who was going to be harvester by a family member.

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Tonnyray: 2:02pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
If only someone had submitted King Of Boys, we would be associating it with an Oscars rejection too grin
You get bad mouth grin
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by topsamjo(m): 2:11pm On May 29, 2020
Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.

The movie os overhyped i swear! can't be compared to KING OF BOYS at all...

4 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by nwarosa: 2:26pm On May 29, 2020
The script was co-written by C.J Obasi.

OP please do the necessary edit. Credit is very important.
safarigirl:
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better.

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 2:49pm On May 29, 2020
nwarosa:
The script was co-written by C.J Obasi.

OP please do the necessary edit. Credit is very important.
I can't edit the main post anymore, once a post gets to FrontPage, it can't be edited.

Thank you for the correction

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Bossman25(m): 3:01pm On May 29, 2020
The older version of LIB was awesome, I was so disgusted to know that they did another version of it.
KOB was another good movie, but its just another storyline like most of our Nigerian Nollywood movie. They should have stopped, because it will eventually lack some creativity in the storyline to make it juicy, on less another villian should have been the unavailing in the part one.
Ratnik was SciFi, the triller was okay, but the way it won an award so quick? Should have the movie been at cinemas for us to check it before hyping before hand.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Oladoyinipede: 3:01pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Sorry ooo pained igbo pikin

See as u analyze, oya produce ur own na abi u think say e remember those asaba movies..

Ebhoes can hate ehnnnn... Hatred is in their blood
you are very funny oo.but I'm not surprised,typical Nigerian exalting sentiment over reason.you are a true son of the soil.NB I am neither igbo nor an ethnic bigot like you.left to me professionalism has nothing to do with ethnicity it's either you are good at what you do or not, I'm least concerned where you come from.talent and intelligence knows no tribe.least I forget stop calling women hoes,if you don't agree with me,then convince me to agree with you.insulting instead of debating only shows emptiness and bitterness on your part.and lastly I'm not hoe/LovePeddler it's just my objectivity in action.thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by piagetskinner(m): 3:08pm On May 29, 2020
I think it’s great good story line

But it seemed like they were trying to glorify the occultic powers than The power of the Almighty God
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by nijabazaar: 3:31pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Ebhoes here again

Lionheart dt was Sent packing from Oscar...
Shane on lion heart gringrin

You see everything from the prism of tribalism.

Dont ever stain my mentions again.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Thane(m): 3:32pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
melodramatic, screams a lot. You have to have your remote handy when she's on screen.

I enjoyed her better in Wedding Party, even though I cringed at some scenes.

this is very true, maybe that's her style but I usually fast forward her shrieks

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Reussite: 3:40pm On May 29, 2020
I asked earlier but I guess no one saw it..... am I the only one who thinks the Nnamdi's apartment was same as the one used in One Ticket Kiss D music video?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 29, 2020
nijabazaar:

You see everything from the prism of tribalism.
Dont ever stain my mentions again.
Ebhoes
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 3:59pm On May 29, 2020
Reussite:
I asked earlier but I guess no one saw it..... am I the only one who thinks the Nnamdi's apartment was same as the one used in One Ticket Kiss D music video?

Didn't take notice of either apartments. Might be the same, might not be the same.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Observer1: 3:59pm On May 29, 2020
I'll try to check it out.

I wonder how much they got paid by Netflix.

Thanks for letting me know.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by chibuikenicole: 4:18pm On May 29, 2020
itzMizELo:
Please who has the link to download God calling or a website I can download it? I've been wanting to watch it since.
9jarocks.com
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by dozymars(m): 4:47pm On May 29, 2020
Not impressive.
How can you break the news to your son that you are the father and at that same moment you tell him about his occultic boss. That's not natural.

Naturally, the father should give him time to digest the first shocking news. Even the boys reaction didn't look real.

Good opportunity for a coming actor but he wasn't the right person for that role.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Bobby95(m): 4:49pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Yes eboes opinion....
Guy why are you quoting me with dis graphic pics?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Kelvinkipler(m): 4:55pm On May 29, 2020
Please what is the title of the track and artist ,used at the end of the movie,right before the cast?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 29, 2020
Bobby95:
Guy why are you quoting me with dis graphic pics?

Ladis

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Bobby95(m): 5:17pm On May 29, 2020
Nnamdipapakanu:

Ladis
it safe to assume u are Mentally unstable
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 29, 2020
Bobby95:
it safe to assume u are Mentally unstable

Ladis abi

Safe to assume u r a human eater. Cannibal

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by damoneymag(m): 5:37pm On May 29, 2020
itzMizELo:
Please who has the link to download God calling or a website I can download it? I've been wanting to watch it since.
that movie made my year.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by edoairways: 5:49pm On May 29, 2020
piagetskinner:
I think it’s great good story line

But it seemed like they were trying to glorify the occultic powers than The power of the Almighty God
Don't Hollywood do that?
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by madjune(m): 6:05pm On May 29, 2020
The movie proved quite entertaining as it lasted.
I could tell the writers tried to lay some foundation of history but it was flaky in details.
I lived through Otokoto times and know better.

On another note, the movie exposed the secret wars which has been on btw the Eastern bloc of Nollywood and Kemi Adetiba's Western bloc.
You can easily see this in the casting.
I can't recall any major Nollywood movie(s) in recent times that featured a host of this motley crew of Ibo actors who graced this film.
From Kanayo, Bob Manuel Udokwu, Andy, Zulu Adigwe.
These are classic actors in their very rights but over the years, it's been like they've been on long honey moons.
No. It's just made obvious that they were sidelined by the dominant Western bloc.
Thanks to Ramsey Nouah( he himself is a victim too) for striking the deal with Andy to take the franchise higher, and ultimately restore the once eclipsed Eastern bloc of Nollywood.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:

So is a win/win situation. Both for lion heart and king of boys in the Oscars category.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 29, 2020
safarigirl:
LOL

If you spend money, e no go pass 500 naira. I would have reimbursed you, but I did tell you not to watch it anyway, because I knew you would come back with bad reviews.

Make 500 naira no disturb you like that, you waste more browsing the internet. Some people spent up to 10,000 naira, and nothing less than 5,500 naira recently, to see the movie in a drive-in cinema. Let God favor us.

U can't reimburse me because ur toyal account balance nor reach me buy data, I am not just a fan of cinema.
I hate to spend a Kobo on anything I won't get any form of satisfaction from, I didn't even spend up to 500 for that data but he pain me die and I watched dat movie with an open mind since I was thinking it might exceed the negative review.

God has over favoured me to the extent dat I wont try to to bring others down to just to feel good abt myself.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by DanWord(m): 9:01pm On May 29, 2020
This is the one of the best threads on nairaland. Great work you are doing safari girl. But reading from page 1 to now I keep seeing KOB, I am wondering is there any other KOB apart from the one directed by Kemi. That movie was surpose to be a thriller, instead of thrill me it made me annoyed.
The movie was just empty. I got great respect for Kemi especially for Wedding party but to be sincere that script and storyline for KOB was wack. I still do not know how that movie ended, just some gangsta wearing black and red unnecessary shouting, it was just the typical Asaba nollywood shot with great and expensive cameras nothing much.
Lib although had its own flaws but the cinematogaraphy was a bomb, it was wow. But the storyline was average and the lead actor was weak, couldn't assert his presence on the movie. Ramsey is legend, Kemi is great. I think we need great writer/director like Taratino ( Inglorious Bastard) John peele(get out) boo woo(parasite). Because if they write and also direct it they would know how to deliver, it is there story. Thanks for this thread it was entertaining.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BBNaija: Miracle & Nina Sleep In Each Other’s Arm After Reconciling / BBNaija: The Moment Miracle Was Announced The Winner (Video) / #BBNaija: Tobi Replies 'Yoruba Demons Association' With Hilarious Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.