Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Sour Grape Syndrome!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sour Grape Syndrome!!! (546 Views)

Unannounced Visit Turn Sour / I Have A Sour Relationship With My Dad / Marriage And The Happily Ever After Syndrome: An Alternative Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 6:04pm On May 22, 2020
Some of us know this story well, some do not. Let me just summarize it. A fox was very hungry, saw a grapefruit tree with very ripe grapes, tried to reach them but they were too far. He gave up in a hurry and consoled himself by saying; “the grapes nor go sweet self, be like e don sour. I don look am”. And he went away, still very hungry.

Are you like that fox? A person, too tired to keep trying. Yes you have tried, e don tire you abi? But are you not still “hungry”?(metaphorically speaking). Why then will you stop? Do you like that situation? Why will you give up when you are still alive? How do you know it will not work? How do you know it will not be a success? Why will you settle for less because you nor fit reach the delicious grapes you really want?(metaphorically speaking).

Do not limit yourself by yourself. Looking at that story, what would you have done differently? Oh! I know what I would have done differently. I would have combed that forest, looking for a branch since my hand cannot reach it, and I would have hit down the grapes. Yes, some can get smashed as they hit the ground, but a good number will still be available for me to eat and be satisfied.

Broaden your horizon. Halt! And think of what you can do differently that will give you your desired result.
Have a blessed weekend.
Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:40pm On May 22, 2020
its all down to being real....
Example: no matter how crazy a man is about Tiwa or Genevieve, if he sees her at the club and get ROYALLY rejected, this would be the time to "be real" and accept defeat. sometimes, its far better to be real with yourself than fool yourself for years about something that you may NEVER achieve.
so be real with yourself and dont be having unrealistic expectations.

calling it a sour fruit, is just to pat his bruised ego!
Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by ibkayee(f): 7:56pm On May 22, 2020
You call it lazy, what if the Fox was just being practical. Perseverance is good, but sometimes we also need to be realistic with ourselves lol
Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 8:02pm On May 22, 2020
He had the option of grabbing a stick. In this case, there was an ALTERNATIVE that would have worked perfectly.
If he was say, in a desert, where there is only sand, then it would be "unrealistic" like both of you said, to keep trying to reach it. But in this case, guyman dey for forest. If you digest the details in the story, you will get my point dear.

ibkayee:
You call it lazy, what if the Fox was just being practical. Perseverance is good, but sometimes we also need to be realistic with ourselves lol

Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 8:04pm On May 22, 2020
"being real"...lol

Obama would have decided to "be real" as you said it and would never have ventured trying to be the president as no BLACK MAN with an AFRICAN DESCENT ever reached there before.

Anyways...Whatever works for you smiley

MrBrownJay1:
its all down to being real....
Example: no matter how crazy a man is about Tiwa or Genevieve, if he sees her at the club and get ROYALLY rejected, this would be the time to "be real" and accept defeat. sometimes, its far better to be real with yourself than fool yourself for years about something that you may NEVER achieve.
so be real with yourself and dont be having unrealistic expectations.

calling it a sour fruit, is just to pat his bruised ego!
Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by ibkayee(f): 8:10pm On May 22, 2020
Yuceeluv:
He had the option of grabbing a stick. In this case, there was an ALTERNATIVE that would have worked perfectly.
If he was say, in a desert, where there is only sand, then it would be "unrealistic" like both of you said, to keep trying to reach it. But in this case, guyman dey for forest. If you digest the details in the story, you will get my point dear.

I definitely get your point dear

I think it's also important not to judge people based on your own personal abilities and make assumptions, who knows, he may have been lazy, or he may have been practical. I understand the point you're trying to make though cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:13pm On May 22, 2020
Yuceeluv:
"being real"...lol
Obama would have decided to "be real" as you said it and would never have ventured trying to be the president as no BLACK MAN with an AFRICAN DESCENT ever reached there before.

Anyways...Whatever works for you smiley

so you actually believe that Obama grew up wanting to be the 1st black president (or even a politician) ?!?!? really?! the dude was a lawyer, thats what he was dreaming of becoming, and after being an attorney at law, the opportunity to get into politics came in the picture and he took it.

there are many black people out there who had the same opportunity as Obama before him and failed miserably (Jesse Jackson being one of them). i guess you believe jesse jackson should keep disgracing himself by trying to be the next president, abi?

lets BE REAL...

1 Like

Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 8:23pm On May 22, 2020
lol no matter how you try to rigmarole, fact is there is a process to becoming the president of any country let alone, U.S.A. And for obama to have gone through all the processes of qualification, he did TRY to become the president. It might have been that he gave it a shot only once and made it. Fact is, HE GAVE IT A SHOT!
And i do not know if you read the history well but if you did, you will know, with no doubt, that how close jesse jackson came to being the president, was what gingered obama and gave him HOPE!

MrBrownJay1:

so you actually believe that Obama grew up wanting to be the 1st black president (or even a politician) ?!?!? really?! the dude was a lawyer, thats what he was dreaming of becoming, and after being an attorney at law, the opportunity to get into politics came in the picture and he took it.

there are many black people out there who had the same opportunity as Obama before him and failed miserably (Jesse Jackson being one of them). i guess you believe jesse jackson should keep disgracing himself by trying to be the next president, abi?

lets BE REAL...
Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 8:25pm On May 22, 2020
You are right, the judgmental part was wrong! Corrected as has been noted smiley

ibkayee:

I definitely get your point dear

I think it's also important not to judge people based on your own personal abilities and make assumptions, who knows, he may have been lazy, or he may have been practical. I understand the point you're trying to make though cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:34pm On May 22, 2020
Yuceeluv:
lol no matter how you try to rigmarole, fact is there is a process to becoming the president of any country let alone, U.S.A. And for obama to have gone through all the processes of qualification, he did TRY to become the president. It might have been that he gave it a shot only once and made it. Fact is, HE GAVE IT A SHOT!
And i do not know if you read the history well but if you did, you will know, with no doubt, that how close jesse jackson came to being the president, was what gingered obama and gave him HOPE!

wandaful!!!
jesse jackson was "real" with his own self and gave up hope of ever becoming the next president, because he knows (and we all know) he aint got it, but now you are trying to use his failure as the reason for another man's success?!?! you are veering off the main issue here. its all about UNDERSTANDING your abilities and ACCEPTING them. jesse jackson can change his ways and be different all he wants, or better yet run for president 100times, he will never be president.

no matter how much i want to be the next Mbappe and winning the WC with France, i must be real with myself and accept that i was never good enough playing football... and no matter how much i want it, i must be real with my own self. we all should!
Re: Sour Grape Syndrome!!! by Yuceeluv(f): 8:59pm On May 22, 2020
Okay

MrBrownJay1:

wandaful!!!
jesse jackson was "real" with his own self and gave up hope of ever becoming the next president, because he knows (and we all know) he aint got it, but now you are trying to use his failure as the reason for another man's success?!?! you are veering off the main issue here. its all about UNDERSTANDING your abilities and ACCEPTING them. jesse jackson can change his ways and be different all he wants, or better yet run for president 100times, he will never be president.

no matter how much i want to be the next Mbappe and winning the WC with France, i must be real with myself and accept that i was never good enough playing football... and no matter how much i want it, i must be real with my own self. we all should!

(1) (Reply)

Tale Of World Oldest Couple Who Have Been Married For 79 Years / The Day My Mum Gave Me The Beating Of My Life / Failure Of The Nigerian Society: Who Is To Blame.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.