Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,405 members, 7,781,177 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:14 AM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62358 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 6:56pm On May 22, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by NDakota: 7:00pm On May 22, 2020
The career dilemma...

Many years ago I was where you are now.

I took the road less traveled. I settled for a career in Nigeria.

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing an MBA.

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Do I regret not moving to the US to join my mom, a US citizen?

I do. Every. Single. Minute.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at you at 30. You're dithering. You're pussyfooting.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.

I want to leave, not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

Most crimes committed today are more out of envy and hunger than of greed.

If you can, please run. For your SAFETY!

1283 Likes 123 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MrHighSea: 7:19pm On May 22, 2020
Enyia or Egbon or Aboki,

Tomorrow morning call your brothers and tell them,

"Canada is calling".

Village people can't succeed.

438 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by NDakota: 7:19pm On May 22, 2020

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by mcemmy0z: 7:31pm On May 22, 2020
Move, your unborn kids will thank you in the future.

338 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by PoliticallyInco: 8:19pm On May 22, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.

Move to Canada. In my humble opinion.
Biko.
That your level 12 salary could be a week's pay in Canada. The beginning will be rough. But you are a Nigerian. You are dogged. Go there have a plan. Get a goal. Take actions to chase it based on the Canadian environment. Ordinary DoorDash or Point Pickup in the US for example gives you 100 Dollars per day. Per day. Almost 40k per day. (Don't know what the exchange rate is as I type this).

The only good thing about the civil service in Nigeria is job security of sorts. And freedom to run a business and work. Please if you can,
kindly ignore that stupid conflict of interest rule. It is the most stupid rule of the civil service. They use you for 35 years or so. Then dump you. You have no business experience when and if your gratuity is paid. Your pension/gratuity is of little value due to inflation and loss of value of the naira. There is no cost of living adjustment of any sort. So the only good thing is little job security and freedom to run your own business. The pay is shit. Nepotism is rife. Motivation is usually low.

In my honest opinion, plan well. Save enough. Improve your skills. And go to Canada. You can also work and run your business. Entrpeneural opportunities are there too and the economy more stable and predictable. Financing is also a possibility with good credit rating.

The Canadian option also better favours your CHILDREN. They have much of a headstart. Especially with the opportunity of being born and raised there. Think about it. Hopefully they won't worry like you now about what to do. YOU WILL BE PROUD WHEN YOU SEE YOUR KIDS IN FUTURE. IF NOT FOR ANYTHING YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU MADE THIS MOVE AS IT WILL BENEFIT YOUR KIDS.

Unless you are not up for the initial stress that comes with this move. Otherwise, look beyond the now and see the future. Talk with your siblings. What are the opportunities? What are your plans and theirs for you? Are you schooling first? Are you working immediately? How much are they willing to support to allow you find your footing?

Have a concrete plan with contingencies. Take the bold step. All things go well you have Canadian Residency and Nigerian Citizenship. You can move between countries whenever you want.

268 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 8:33pm On May 22, 2020
Said too much

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ikjosh04: 8:38pm On May 22, 2020
Hi TallNigerian, i suggest you move to Canada besides the many opportunities and sane society Canada have above Nigeria. You also have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens who should help your transition to Canada very swiftly. You should get settled in, in less than 3 months and before 6 months you should be living your dream life including career wise.
I sent you a pm, kindly reply.

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 8:41pm On May 22, 2020
Ikjosh04:
Hi TallNigerian, i suggest you move to Canada besides the many opportunities and sane society Canada have above Nigeria. You also have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens who should help your transition to Canada very swiftly. You should get settled in, in less than 3 months and before 6 months you should be living your dream life including career wise.
I sent you a pm, kindly reply.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ikjosh04: 8:47pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

you sent me a pm too please send me the message to , i dont have access to that mail again

Ok, thank you. Kindly remove your email to avoid spammers.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 8:50pm On May 22, 2020
Ikjosh04:

Ok, thank you. Kindly remove your email to avoid spammers.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 8:52pm On May 22, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing n MBA.

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.

I want to leave not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

Like i really want to port , i just want to believe God for His leading

we earn well but not satisfied about the state of the country. More like a ticking time bomb

Get a contract spends a larger percentage on fuel and data

lalasticlala

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by CanadaOrBust: 9:29pm On May 22, 2020
Canada, Canada my friend, Canada!

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by olayincar(m): 9:29pm On May 22, 2020
Bro...abeg leave this country jor
Canada all the way

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by SultanOfPuna: 9:29pm On May 22, 2020
Pray Say Village People No Go Stop Your Plane

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by CanadaOrBust: 9:29pm On May 22, 2020
Canada

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ipromote: 9:29pm On May 22, 2020
Brother leave o. Please leave.

See my siggy for Social media Advertising!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
Nwanne biko leave for Canada if you can.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by oka4ugoo: 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
You can do both bro. Pursue another federal job bro, secure the job, at least collect two or three months salaries before u migrate bro. But before u migrate bro, do not resign from the job, I repeat do not resign, just drop them a letter that you dey go for medical treatment abroad by that way 3 or 4 more months salaries fit drop before their eyes go clear. Nigeria na scam, so if you fit scam Nigeria scam the useless country.

167 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Anthony0094(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
if all these people they shot because of lockdown are in canada they will be alive today, and u that is alive and have the chance to leave here is asking weather u have to,

my brother RUN

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by eleko1: 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
sad cc vickyrotex

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by martineverest(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
u think Canadian visa is easy to get?....better stay in naija.the cost of house rent per month in Canada is far more than ur entire salary in Nigeria per month

.the world is entering recession and it will be hard in abroad in coming months

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by IMASTEX: 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
With a master's degree & 8 professional courses, tell me you don't know the best decision. And I will tell you to return your qualifications.

Meanwhile, those seeking what will bring extra income and thinking agriculture. Click here

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by figoperch: 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing n MBA.

I want to leave not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

Your use of collective poverty hit me hard

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Holyfield1(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
What are you still doing in Nigeria?

Currently getting a Canada VISA isn't a child's play but if you're so sure you have all the requirements

Apply and flee please

Federal or no federal job, this country has no future

Please do the needful and your children will forever thank you. kiss

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Okikiola7134(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2020
undecided
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by lichocho(m): 9:31pm On May 22, 2020
Run..............

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Jack500: 9:31pm On May 22, 2020
See this Op o, u are just in level 10 and u are saying u have gone far, even those in level 14 are porting, level 10 that is the entry level for professionals like pharmacist etc, na there u say u gone far with 80k salary?

U are not yet serious, move as fast as possible if u have the legal means or u will live to regret it forever(now this is not a threat, but a warning)

Peace.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by datola: 9:31pm On May 22, 2020
This that every one is leaving for Canada. Who will now remain to fix Nigeria

Most of you people just like to reap from where you did not sow.

And you are not going to the Canada to solve any problem for humanity but just to get 'good employment' and now pray that Nigeria catches fire and averyone remaining there should go to hell.

For those of you badmouthing Nigeria. Remember 'ajo Ko le da bi ile' (Other people's country can never be.like your own country)

By God's grace Nigeria shall be great again in my life time.

123 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them
Sir, what area of Tech are you. Am asking because am a final year student Statistics/Computer science and would need a career guide from you.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Senior Lawyer Wears Torn Gown And Wig To Court As Nigerians React. Photos / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.