Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62747 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 7:59pm On May 23, 2020
Calicoe:
I never thought there would be someone contemplating between Nigeria and Canada. For me it is Canada sharply for numerous reasons I can't count
If I had no job, I wouldnt have contemplated at all. I needed diverse views and inputs like yours, hence I brought it here. Thanks for contributing bro
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:00pm On May 23, 2020
VickyRotex:

Hi, it's my pleasure and good to know you find it helpful.

In bold, great, great, great!

You cant go wrong with either of the 2 professions. IT is a big deal in Canada, the same with some other professions. Public health too is another, and like you mentioned, this wasn't likely valued as much until this pandemic. I have some friends in the public health field and they're so in demand right now. I dont even need to talk about the money they get from it. grin

Like someone mentioned, skills are more of what cannyland values than degrees. So even with your degree, continue to learn like you said. Learn online, learn one or 2 hands on skills. You can be working a professional job and also have a side business based on your skills that will also bring you money.

I've read how people talk about debt, yes that's the way the system is programmed. And Tax isn't even funny. Its like you are working for the government, although they have a tax return system that is very valuable and rewarding. At the end of day it depends on what you are looking for. If you are someone who isn't competitive, or feel the need to accomplish everything in a short space, then you take your time. Once there's life, there's hope for what you can accomplish. Go for what you can afford. The good thing also is health care is free in Canada, because that's another unplanned emergency that can put one in debt, but the government covers majority of that worry. Coupled with your work medical insurance, you will likely not have so much to pay when it comes to buying medications.

Not everyone living in Canada has massive debts as being portrayed. (but again, I might be wrong undecided ) Some people work, save and decide to opt for only what they can afford. some have debts but yet strategize and are able to manage it. It all depends. Not one shoe size fits all. The interesting thing is Nigerians are really the ones in competition with themselves. Canadians really dont care that much. The most debt a Canadian will be in is mortgage (which of course is massive ooo angry ), but compare to a Nigerian that just arrived Canada in 3 months and is already thinking of opting for several loans for car, mortgage, school etc. Priority is key! That's not to rule out the fact that the system is set up in a way to make everyone live in debt. That's why most companies will offer you credit card, offer you increase in your card limit, and even offer you mortgage (even when you are barely a year in the country), that's when you realize that not everything is free and you need to think and plan wisely.

So dont let any of this scare or discourage you. If you sense the need to do, and you've been able to discern, then make plans and move. Also age is really on your side, especially with the point based system. If you are 30 or < you get a even higher point.

And absolutely, please feel free to reach out. Cheers
You're just so resourceful. I sent you a PM already ma'am!

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Abolarin91(m): 8:01pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
I have mailed you. Please remove your number online
Ok.
I didn't get any mail from you
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:02pm On May 23, 2020
solok:
i think you can have both my broad. you will be surprised...when you scratch the surface small.....to know that more than quite a handful of naijas..even in civil service have dual citizenship.
with the global covid19 lockdown though, I believe all such moves are 'on hold' for now.
las las...i recommend you keep working on the Nigerian opportunity while at the same time keeping eye on the Canada opportunity....which is only likely to open when the global lockdown is eased....and what's more, the process is not moinmoin....it takes months if not years to emigrate legally....unless you want to land there as 'stoway' in which case you would have made up your mind to put away all your bukuru certificates/experience and start as a cabbie or farmhand and begin to work your way up with or without your siblings social/palliative support.
I love your point of view especially the idea of killing two birds with one stone. Thanks bro.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:03pm On May 23, 2020
Holyfield1:
That's it my brother... I wish you well wink
Wish you all the best too my brother
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:05pm On May 23, 2020
madjune:

Its ok bro.
I feel you. We living in crazy times.
We all need God now more than ever.
We need to save ourselves from ourselves because truth told, man will inadvertently destroy the world.
Sure bro.....I agree with you
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:13pm On May 23, 2020
AnthonyAk:

This is good , id advise you to join your sibling in alberta. Calgary has one of the softest landing for nigerians. As most nigerians there are the proper ones and housing and cost of living is cheap.

Do you have a degree? if so thats good, look here for [url=https://ca.indeed.com/jobs-in-Calgary,-AB]jobs[/url]. But i wouldnt stay with my siblings for too long to the sooner u plan the better.

I would keep that abj land dont loose ur naija roots , forget what every one is saying you will regret it. The nigerians that are doing well are bi coastal. Coming to nigeria sometimes puts canada is perspective and vice versa. You will miss the simple things of naija dearly

Set around a year or a year and 6 months depending on if u need to go to school or not. This is a reasonable time to become fully settled. Good luck.
This is really educative. Thanks for the precision and succint points you made. I will surely keep this in mind. Thank you so much
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:14pm On May 23, 2020
cassidy1996:
I didn't, I applied for customs. I didn't hear anything from them before covid-19 problem. Bros anyone you can help me with in any of the federal establishments . I will be grateful thanks
Let's keep in touch but also bear in mind that not much is happening at the moment.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:19pm On May 23, 2020
kastgeraldino:
OP I believe you have some low self esteem. My monthly net pay is over 400K and yet I feel grossly underpaid and cash-strapped. I'm in my early 30s and single. Maybe you have other means to supplement your income, but I can't understand how a person with your qualifications would feel okay with the salary amount you just mentioned. I understand that consistently earning a paltry sum can make you adjust your earning potential negatively, but you have the opportunity to make something of yourself and earn real income that can make you save something substantial by the time you're 40. All you need is hardwork and focus. Do not miss it.

Bro, I do not feel okay with my current income. That's why I am trying to switch jobs or consider migrating. Low self-esteem? Maybe, but I don't think I suffer such or have any reason to. Sometimes, we need to leave our comfort zone to know that other people are doing far better out there. I'm glad that this forum gives me an opportunity to interact with great minds like yours. I have decided to opt for migration.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:20pm On May 23, 2020
abbyode:
That phrase about collective poverty is what struck me to reply. Guy, relocate to Canada fast. Stop wasting your destiny. People earn as high as over N1M monthly in Nigeria and they are relocating. It’s not all about money. Relocate fast!
That phrase got me too.....thanks bro
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MrEgghead(m): 8:22pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
No wonder you are so informed. Many people are actually ignorant of the true state of things in the civil service. Thanks brother. Do you work in the health sector?
No, I'm a student.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by prciouschika(f): 8:23pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
the part you mentioned "my unborn kids will forever be grateful" really got to me.

Okay but am sorry if it didn't go down well
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:24pm On May 23, 2020
MrEgghead:
No, I'm a student.
shocked :oyet you know so much? I'm impressed bro
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:25pm On May 23, 2020
prciouschika:

Okay but am sorry if it didn't go down well
You shouldn't apologize please.....It actually inspired me. I should be thankful to you and I am thankful.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Denique(f): 8:29pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
grin your sense of humour is top-notch. Can I PM you?

Ah, it would be rude of me to decline such from Ndi Canada! cheesy
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 8:31pm On May 23, 2020
Denique:

Ah, it would be rude of me to decline such from Ndi Canada! cheesy
grin grin
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by kastgeraldino: 8:31pm On May 23, 2020
I get you. The salary amount I was talking about was 50%-60% of 300K that you stated as an amount that would make you not consider migrating. I have been getting calls to move back to Lagos (from Abuja) for finance jobs that are offering me . You can really do a lot especially if you're motivated to get Canadian credentials as you hustle your way.

TallNigerian:
Bro, I do not feel okay with my current income. That's why I am trying to switch jobs or consider migrating. Low self-esteem? Maybe, but I don't think I suffer such or have any reason to. Sometimes, we need to leave our comfort zone to know that other people are doing far better out there. I'm glad that this forum gives me an opportunity to interact with great minds like yours. I have decided to opt for migration.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by rs172(m): 8:31pm On May 23, 2020
jojoseph:
listen very well and listen, take this advise from someone that spent 35years plus in U.S. I will advise you to stay put and plan you life very in Nigeria.
In about 25 to 30 years from now, your siblings will regret their actions including all those Nigerians that ran away from Nigeria.
Most Nigerians in these countries will die poor, it is not a curse, it's just the reality. 80% of Americans live from pay check to pay check. Google it. It means you're one pay check from being homeless.
The system that these white set up, is Notting but slavery system. You will serve them until you die and your children will continue to serve them until they die too.Generation over generation.
The average black man lacks capacity for deep thinking or logical thinking. We are selling ourselves into slavery and don't know it.I really feel sorry for a lot Nigerians because most of them don't know what is going on in these foreign countries.
I know about 10 of my colleagues that have passed away they die poor including a professor. It's not their fault, it's the system but most africans are ignorant of this system.
How many of the Nigeria billionaires that you know that brought their wealth from U.S. or Canada or London. None, they all made their money in Nigeria.
I'm happy i relocated back to Nigeria with my American wife and we are doing fine and we contributing our quoter to the development of Nigeria. You probably will not appreciate my advice now maybe 20 or 30years from now you will to appreciate it.

Mtchhhhwwwww, why can't you stay in Nigeria and make the money you are now spending in Nigeria, why did you have to go to America and make money, it funny how people who spend their youthful life in a sane country, come here to talk thrash of the country that gave them a better edge in life, it just funny...

Selfish and greedy set of people

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MrEgghead(m): 8:32pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
shocked :oyet you know so much? I'm impressed bro
I'm versatile. Government workers are poorly paid generally.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Mawex(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Amen! Thanks for your honest input. I really appreciate it. Have you made any move towards migration?
Not yet because I didn't have money to process things, right now I'm working my ass off to get the right amount of money I need to migrate, but the pandemic has put a stop to my hustle shaa.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Period007(m): 9:15pm On May 23, 2020
MrEgghead:
You're right.
It's only those in the health sector that earn relatively higher even at the same level.
A medical doctor (fresh) currently earns 220k and pharmacists about 138k.
Other sector workers especially the mainstream public service are only struggling, lecturers are not exempted...A new medical doctor far earns than a Ph.D other.
I've all the salary structures with me.
But oga,pharmacIsts earn far more than that amount sha.That amount is for interns
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by goldmatrix(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2020
You don't have other options? I'm only seeing Canada and something like ministry there. Is the ministry an option too?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MrEgghead(m): 9:28pm On May 23, 2020
Period007:

But oga,pharmacIsts earn far more than that amount sha.That amount is for interns
It's even lower than 138k I mentioned.
it's about 127K per month....The annual pay for a new employed pharmacist is #1,527,126, do the calculation.. A new pharmacist starts on CONHESS 09. For a Doctor it's #2,642,189

There are allowances they earn Sha but that's their basic salary.

Check below for a pharmacist!

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Mcslize: 9:41pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Yes, that post and many others have informed my decision. I will be migrating...

Good! Congratulation in advance.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by prciouschika(f): 9:50pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
You shouldn't apologize please.....It actually inspired me. I should be thankful to you and I am thankful.

Happy I did cheesy do take care of you wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by cassidy1996(m): 9:51pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Let's keep in touch but also bear in mind that not much is happening at the moment.
I will mail to remind you, i appreciate. thanks Bros...

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by prciouschika(f): 9:55pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:

Happy I did cheesy do take care of you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by hugochuks60(m): 10:06pm On May 23, 2020
Well I have read a lot of comments here.
The grass is always grener on the other side but the truth is that life is all about risks n some uncertainties.
Nigeria is our fatherland n we r used to everything here, but problems r plenty here n it has been d same for decades, electricity is scarce n in fact u hustle for it, job prospects r like searching for a specific kind of hay in a hay pack, roads r bad, health systems r nothing to write home about, educational system is bad n ASUU strikes makes it worse off. If u choose to remain in Nigeria, u will av these including security to deal with, however, we always pray for things to get better.
If u choose Canada, well u av siblings there, so settling down won't be n option, however u may av to get at least one qualification in their soil to upgrade ursef in their terms n also have to pay more bills n pay heavily for basic things like Nigerian food, water, upkeep, accessories, etc. U will also pay huge taxes too. And getting a job might not be easy at the initial time so u will need to work hard to pay up ur bills.
Get a leave of absence n go there, see how u can easily adapt, then u can finally resign n relocate. Don't forget to turn to n entrepreneur n come n invest in Nigeria so that u can help amiliorate our unemployment challenges ooo. Also seek God's direction through prayers.
All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by afroxyz: 10:24pm On May 23, 2020
Mikelarteta:
If you have the opportunity, I sincerely believe you will be better of here in Canada . Am not exaggerating, on my off days outside regular job, I do food delivery and I bet you can make that 1 month salary you make in Nigeria in 10 hours.

Are you spemding the money in naira or Canadian dollars? How much do you save monthly? Let's stop deceiving ourselves with disparities in currency.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by afroxyz: 10:27pm On May 23, 2020
rs172:

Mtchhhhwwwww, why can't you stay in Nigeria and make the money you are now spending in Nigeria, why did you have to go to America and make money, it funny how people who spend their youthful life in a sane country, come here to talk thrash of the country that gave them a better edge in life, it just funny...

Selfish and greedy set of people

There are over 100k Americans currently in Nigeria. That's should tell you something
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by God1stson(m): 10:50pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
Bros abeg when u don reach canada, remember me I need the right contact to travel out of this country. To wash plate for Canada better pass to work for oil company for naija. I have come close to gaining 2 federal jobs in Nigeria but because i dont have connect and from the wrong part of the country i was denied. I made up my mind that even i had put in half of the efforts i put in nigeria in a place like canada, I would have been giving poor pple scholarship bak home. Pls just Pm me when u get there i am dead serious chijiwiz@yahoo.com cool

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Abolarin91(m): 11:10pm On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Thank you bro. Why not try the express entry? pm me
Can you pls explain what you mean by express entry?

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Banke, Lady Uses Recycled Tyres To Build Furniture (Photos) / I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.