Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,517 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62656 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sircatherine45(m): 9:50pm On May 22, 2020
My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

the devil and the sea

choose where your heart lies...

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by macmoyor(m): 9:50pm On May 22, 2020
Why not tag along with your fed Job while tidying up your visa, assuming you are yet to get one.. better you stay employed and visa in your hands.. Put in your resignation only when you have crossed the Canada port of entry...you can also take vacation to Canada, if you haven't.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 9:51pm On May 22, 2020
kingoftech:

How do you source for clients please?

well God brings them but i do my part too

i actually use email marketing to get clients, i have a way of getting their emails

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Topmaike007(m): 9:51pm On May 22, 2020
Federal job keel you there

5 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

Please what part of tech are you into? I would really appreciate a reply
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by pippimp(m): 9:51pm On May 22, 2020
Mikelarteta:
If you have the opportunity, I sincerely believe you will be better of here. Am not exaggerating, on my off days regular job, I do food delivery and I will make that your 1 month salary in 10 hours.

Where? Nigeria? I need what you are smoking.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by KaptainAfrika: 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
This is the most important reason why you should go to Canada - "I am academically inclined"

Please go to a place where your passion, is appreciated and rewarded.

TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sircatherine45(m): 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
PoliticallyInco:

Move to Canada. In my humble opinion.
Biko.
That your level 12 salary could be a week's pay in Canada. The beginning will be rough. But you are a Nigerian. You are dogged. Go there have a plan. Get a goal. Take actions to chase it based on the Canadian environment.

The only good thing about the civil service in Nigeria is job security of sorts. And freedom to run a business and work. Please if you can,
kindly ignore that stupid conflict of interest rule. It is the most stupid rule of the civil service. They use you for 35 years or so. Then dump you. You have no business experience when and if your gratuity is paid. Your pension/gratuity is of little value to to inflation and loss of value of the naira. So the only good thing is little job security and freedom to run your own business.

In my honest opinion, plan well. Save enough. Improve your skills. And go to Canada. You can also work and run your business. Entrpeneural opportunities are there too and the economy more stable and predictable. Financing is also a possibility with good credit rating.

The Canadian option also better favours your CHILDREN. They have much of a headstart. Especially with the opportunity of being born and raised there. Think about it. Hopefully they won't worry like you now about what to do.

Unless you are not up for the initial stress that comes with this move. Otherwise, look beyond the now and see the future. Talk with your siblings. What are the opportunities? What are your plans and theirs for you? Are you schooling first? Are you working immediately? How much are they willing to support to allow you find your footing?

Have a concrete plan with contingencies. Take the bold step. All things go well you have Canadian Residency and Nigerian Citizenship. You can move between countries whenever you want.

OP, take this advice

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by kingoftech: 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

well God brings them but i do my part too

i actually use email marketing to get clients, i have a way of getting their emails
How do I contact you please?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Switch07(m): 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

well i do web and app dev, email marketing that am very good at

and am good in video animation

Please sir can I learn from you and can I know the cost of the program
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
Even agbero in Lagos is making far more money than you in Nigeria. You don't belong here bro.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by tabaski: 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
Guy get out and very fast. Wish I have ur opportunity.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by obowunmi(m): 9:52pm On May 22, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.

Get married and move to Canada.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Mawex(m): 9:53pm On May 22, 2020
Now if I say choose between HELL or PARADISE, which one will you go for definitely nobody need to tell you to go for PARADISE. So my brother make a wise choice, as I dey type right now I'm just thinking of getting transport fare to CANADA because even if na TP I get to CANADA I'm sure imma leave Naija for the good of myself, my family and for the good of my unborn children and their children. May God help us all.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 9:53pm On May 22, 2020
kingoftech:

How do I contact you please?

just go to my company websites and mail me, dont want to drop my contact here
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Brightgem(f): 9:53pm On May 22, 2020
Sad o! Many want to leave. Some of us want to stay and fix things in our small way.

Na still we country. But once you even begin to debate staying or leaving. Just leave. The salary structure here is just ridiculous. You have another option though. Move to a more likely well paying job, it wnt be in government tho. Ur skills might be needed in multinationals etc. who pay way better. Or you move to a different career path entirely. The government jobs hold no awe for me, no growth everything dull and slow.

For some of us, we no dey even reason am. Every one can't leave afterall.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 9:53pm On May 22, 2020
Switch07:

Please sir can I learn from you and can I know the cost of the program

there are loads of tutorial on youtube

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by lichocho(m): 9:54pm On May 22, 2020
xreal:

Na dem
we book all kind of space..contact us for more space
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by emmylight4u: 9:54pm On May 22, 2020
Read ur write up...I can relate.

Kindly apply for study leave for a year or 2.

Move to Canada asap.

Make sure u study the environment if things dont work out well u still fall back to Nigeria with your job secured.

Thank me later

7 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by efosky1246(m): 9:55pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

i actually work a lot with scripts

That's not an excuse though.

But its all good, It's just mid-boggling that an engineer making that much doesn't work with Git.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sircatherine45(m): 9:55pm On May 22, 2020
mkoabiola:
A govt ministry pays a level ten officer 80k as net salary....

Incredible

Ridiculous...

Unbelievable

Abeg which ministry is this?

80k for level ten.

Nawa ooooo.

This can't b true

IPPIS, remember?

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by jaxxy(m): 9:55pm On May 22, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

For a science career and an intellectual I think ure wasting ur time in our present federal service systems it's not they way our father enjoyed it.

Study the scenario of ure best or dream career path In the service and how long it will take and do a cross check with how long it will take u to settle Down fully in Canada. I think canada present more opportunities for u mate. Don’t let the Nigerian System frustrate u. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Thomthom(m): 9:55pm On May 22, 2020
Bros I for like follow u ooo... I get bar for other things Na just connection to japa
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MasterJD(m): 9:56pm On May 22, 2020
That line 'i am academically inclined" really touched me
Dear this country will mess your academic Strength up,and the time may come when the opportunity to migrate may not be there.

Migrate Now or never

Canada currently is one of the most stabled countries economically in the world and they Don't joke with anyone who has something upstairs.

Your children won't forgive you if you fail to utilize this opportunity and tell them the story in future.

NIGERIA OUR DEAR COUNTRY,THE HEART BEAT OF AFRICA HAS NOTHING TO OFFER.FOR CORRUPTION AND NEPOTISM RULE AS KING HERE.

But Please take note of me and remember me when you will be in the Paradise.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by deji17: 9:56pm On May 22, 2020
Canadian immigration is not automatic. You can pursue it till you have the immigrant visa. Also, abroad is not for everybody. If you are doing well at home or you have the prospect, you can stay back. Relocating is not a bad thing either.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 9:56pm On May 22, 2020
efosky1246:

That's not an excuse though.

But its all good, It's just mid-boggling that an engineer making that much doesn't work with Git.

bro nigeria clients dont have patience oo, once they give you project by 1am they want to see what youve done by 12pm , so i skip a lot of things

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Joshforeal: 9:57pm On May 22, 2020
sisisioge:
I'm not gonna read...just leave for Canada biko. Federal job ke!
Imagine he said Federal Job. I thought he will say he is a Governor or Senator. Federal Job. My mother has been in federal job for 30 years. Her only achievement is sending us her children to mediocre educational institutions we have here. Certificate wey dem no regard anywhere in the Western World. @Op even if your village people call ur number today I will hang up on your behalf

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sircatherine45(m): 9:57pm On May 22, 2020
Kenplay:

Thanks, am planning to go into pratical learning on Python, php, spss and mutlab. My area of interest is Database, Big Data Analytics and E-commerce.

go for AI, cloud, IoT and blockchain

big money there, bro

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 22, 2020
mkoabiola:
A govt ministry pays a level ten officer 80k as net salary....

Incredible

Ridiculous...

Unbelievable

Abeg which ministry is this?

80k for level ten.

Nawa ooooo.

This can't b true
The 80k for level 10 with a year left for 12 weak me too. Lies too dey too much for most of these Nairaland stories.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Dididrumz(m): 9:59pm On May 22, 2020
figoperch:

Your use of collective poverty hit me hard

I saw that too and it really Hit hard.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by wman(m): 9:59pm On May 22, 2020
datola:
This that every one is leaving for Canada. Who will now remain to fix Nigeria

Most of you people just like to reap from where you did not sow.

And you are not going to the Canada to solve any problem for humanity but just to get 'good employment' and now pray that Nigeria catches fire and averyone remaining there should go to hell.

For those of you badmouthing Nigeria. Remember 'ajo Ko le da bi ile' (Other people's country can never be.like your own country)

By God's grace Nigeria shall be great again in my life time.

There are more than enough people left in Nigeria to fix Nigeria. Let people emigrate if they want to. Europeans, Australians and Americans also emigrate too
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by IMASTEX: 9:59pm On May 22, 2020
martineverest:
u think Canadian visa is easy to get?....better stay in naija.the world is entering recession and it will be hard in abroad in coming months
Canada operates a strict immigration system that favours the qualified. It is a work over with his resume.
Education: Master's
Work experience: He has (3 years).
Adaptation: He got siblings
Cash: He should have
Security:
Health:
English test:
He will certainly get high score to take him there within few months to 1 year.

At bolded, grin grin grin you think even the devil currently residing in Nigeria won't run off when global sufferings set in.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Banke, Lady Uses Recycled Tyres To Build Furniture (Photos) / I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.