Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62629 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by DexterousOne(m): 11:00pm On May 22, 2020
Kayouzka:

Amen. Those running are cowards

Those runaways are fed up
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ajixegun: 11:00pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

pick one and become a pro

others would fall in later

I don't know if you can be my mentor in tech world?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Buuks77: 11:02pm On May 22, 2020
henryelfhel:
IT security
pls can you throw more light on IT security pls
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Dangrace01: 11:02pm On May 22, 2020
Exmilitant:
ha. no better way to express yourself other than cursing? Well, i have visited, France, the Uk, Holland, Dubai, Greece, Spain, the US, Canada, Brazil, China, India and more than 19 African countries and i still have more countries to visit and flex my life but i won't exchange living here with any of those coutries. For wishing me dead, i will leave the matter to my goddess.

Ur goddess Niger Delta man.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:03pm On May 22, 2020
Ajixegun:

I don't know if you can be my mentor in tech world?

why do you want to enter tech

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by HBB1(m): 11:03pm On May 22, 2020
I made this mistake years ago...

My brother and sister had been begging me to leave... i said mba, Naija till I die!

I wasted 3 years of my life slaving in a messed up system.

Now I don carry my kaya!

Know this, the most important factor in determining success is environment and not effort!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MrEgghead(m): 11:03pm On May 22, 2020
alekside:
The 80k for level 10 with a year left for 12 weak me too. Lies too dey too much for most of these Nairaland stories.
It's very true...
Grade level 10 is currently #794274 per annum

3 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Dangrace01: 11:04pm On May 22, 2020
wiseone28:
No way as long as they keep ruling us

Forex trading?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 22, 2020
Leave asap.
I'm sure you don't want to be in a country where its youth will be dragging successful artists all day long on twitter.
Leaving the politiciana to continue their loot unabated.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Zaronxpanol(f): 11:06pm On May 22, 2020
Hello Op, I studied for my BSc in a foreign country and while my Ex-Husband studied for his MSc, and Ph.D. in Copenhagen Denmark. He returned to Nigeria and struggled financially as a young Lecturer in a government university, during the early stage of his career. However getting married to a financially stable wife like me, who works in a well paying private organization made life more comfortable for him. Although his life is better now as an Associate Professor compared to when he started.
So these facts below are coming from a well-traveled person. I have been to at least 13 countries and 4 continents.
FACTS
1 Abroad is for the strong and open-minded. Are you ready to hustle real hard doing any kind of Job before your dream job?
2 No matter the job you do abroad low class or dirty job, you will earn a decent income. But are you ready to forfeit that I am a graduate or MSc status? In case there is a delay in getting that job you desire, or God forbid the coin turns to the other side.
3 My Ex-husband returned to Nigeria from Denmark not because they were no jobs. But because he couldn't get an Academic job which was his passion, and he is now an Associate Professor in Nigeria. He is happy and people respect his status. Although he may not be rich, he is comfortable in Nigerian standard. He told me he cannot be selling chicken burgers and chips or be a Waiter, cleaner, or do a security job in Denmark with his Ph.D.

While some of his mates who stayed back in Denmark, are now managers of hotels, restaurants, environmental, and security outfits with their Ph.D. They now earn more than Vice-Chancellors of Nigeria Universities salary-wise except those VC's who became best friends with their bursars and registrars and see their appointment as a call to partake in the sharing of the national cake shocked wink tongue
So are you willing to change your career path in case things don't go your way? or you are after professional prestige which my husband preferred?
As for me, I did jobs unrelated to my course after graduating in the country where I studied and changed to a career in the financial sector immediately I returned to Nigeria. I am after a financially stable and quality life and not after professional prestige and grammar or I must work here or there. Pay me good money( 7 digits ) I will work for even LAWMA cheesy grin
4 If your transfer to a new organization is successful, and they can pay you above 200k I will advise you to stay back.
5 Government job has long term benefits and pays towards the end of your career. Suffer now and enjoy later compared with private jobs where you enjoy now and your future is unpredictable.
6 If you cannot transfer to a well-paying government organization please relocate abroad. 80k is not worth the stress for a 30years old man. Except if you marry a woman with high income who can assist you, otherwise you will live a life of pity with that 80k when you marry a liability or a selfish wife.
7 Know what you want and what you can let go of without thinking twice. You can't lay hold on everything in life peace cool

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by AugustusA1(m): 11:07pm On May 22, 2020
Post like this are the ones I like to reply. Listen carefully I'll be very brief and straight to the point.
Dude get out of Nigeria Please.
I had a job myself with Lagos State Govt in 2012, and I had a slight opportunity to travel to the US in 2015, I grabbed it and here am I in NY. It was rough in the beginning, but hey I'm glad I did. I am like a moving train Godswilling. I became an EMT, and PCT making 22$&23.50 per hour both jobs respectively. In that I tried go back to school because I had a prior degree in Nigeria. I went in a fast track nursing degree and I am a recent RN-Grad. Bro I had a job waiting in one of the hospitals for 46$ per hour, working 12hr shift just needed 3day work to make fulltime hours and many more overtime if I chose to. I declined that job, and I am 2wks into a supervisory post in a Rehab ctr making 52$ per hr-8hr shift. My main job is with NYC H+H Hospital working as a floor nurse. I am poised to become a practitioner in few years and hopefully God help me. Look bro, July 31st coming will make my 5th Year in NY. Looking at what I've achieved its only God and I doubt I would have been able to do the same with Lagos state govt. I look forward to join the Airforce as a reservist officer RN just to serve 1wkend every month. Bro plz Canada is well way better than Nigeria and I'll implore you to not dull yourself up PLEASE.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:07pm On May 22, 2020
Zaronxpanol:
Hello Op, I studied for my BSc in a foreign country and while my Ex-Husband studied for his MSc, and Ph.D. in Copenhagen Denmark. He struggled as a young Lecturer in a government university during the early stage of his career financially and getting married to a financially okay wife who works in a well paying private organization thin comfortable. Although his life is better now as an associate professor compared to when he started.
So this fact below is coming from a well-traveled person. I have been to at least 13 countries and 4 continents.
FACTS
1 Abroad is for strong and open-minded. Are you ready to hustle real hard doing any kind of Job before your dream job?
2 No matter the job you do abroad low class or dirty job, you will earn a decent income. But are you ready to forfeit that I am a graduate or MSc status? In case there is a delay in getting that job you desire, or God forebid the coin turns to the other side or there.
3 My husband returned to Nigeria from Denmark not because they were no high paying jobs. But because he couldn't get an Academic job which was his passion. He told me he cannot be selling chicken burgers and chips or being a waiter or security with his Ph.D. While some of his mates who stayed behind are now managers of restaurants in Denmark with their Ph.D. They earn more than Vice-Chancellors of universities now. So are you willing to change your career path in case things don't go your way or you are after professional prestige which my husband preferred? As for me I did jobs unrelated to my course after graduating in that country and changed career immediately I returned to Nigeria, I am after a financially stable and quality life and not professional prestige or I must work here or there. Pay me good money I will work for even LAWMA grin cheesy
4 If your transfer to a new organization is successful, and they can pay you above 200k I will advise you to stay back,
5 Government job has long term benefits and pays when towards the end of your career. Suffer now and enjoy later compared with private jobs where you enjoy now and your future is unpredictable.
6 If you cannot transfer to a well-paying government organization please relocate abroad. 80k is worth the stress for a 30years old man. Except if you marry a woman with high income who can assist you, you will leave a life of pity with that 80k when you marry a liability or a selfish wife.
7 Know what you want and what you can let go of without thinking twice. You can lay hold on everything in life peace

how open is demark to blacks, thou i prefer migrating to wales, scotland or ireland

one thing hindering me is racism

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by litaninja(m): 11:07pm On May 22, 2020
If you like your future, get on the next plane out of that place.

TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 22, 2020
sisisioge:
I'm not gonna read...just leave for Canada biko. Federal job ke!
“I’m not gonna read” got me ROTF

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by taskcompleteng: 11:09pm On May 22, 2020
Boss Abeg teach me I want to learn

Onlyonebuhari:
Let me tell u the simple truth, I export Yam and kola nut. The money I get from it I can't get it from Canada or the US. Let me tell u the real truth....I apply for credentialing in Canada and they have been disturbing since Monday that am qualified, they will issue work permit and Visa but I don't need it.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by YungLasaint(m): 11:09pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

go to my profile check for my website and you would see my mail and mail me
Alright thank you sir.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by REDBULL1(m): 11:10pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

the reason why i don't save on git is because most Nigerians are not patient , they give you a project by 1am and expect it to be ready before 12pm, so i skip a lot of things

Bro, how were you able to apply for the job? Was it a remote position?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Mikelarteta(m): 11:11pm On May 22, 2020
pippimp:

Where? Nigeria? I need what you are smoking.

Show some respect. You are rude and reckless.Am sure I wasn’t talking to you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by YungLasaint(m): 11:11pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

I just sent you a mail
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:12pm On May 22, 2020
REDBULL1:

Bro, how were you able to apply for the job? Was it a remote position?

no its not a job but freelance i get clients

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:13pm On May 22, 2020
YungLasaint:
I just sent you a mail

visit my website from my profile and get my mail

i dont see the mails from this email account sorry

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Zaronxpanol(f): 11:13pm On May 22, 2020
My ex-husband studied in Denmark, although I visited for 3 weeks why we were dating. It is a well-developed country with passive racism based on my short stay and most blacks do menial jobs. By the way, I studied in Nairobi
softplace:

how open is demark to blacks, thou i prefer migrating to wales, scotland or ireland

one thing hindering me is racism

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by bjnice(m): 11:14pm On May 22, 2020
ETHIX:

Hmmmm, dont allow fear to blind his eyes. Those long term benefits are rubbish.
I can bet it that if he finds himself in Canada his regret will be that he left Nigeria late.

Do you understand what it means to become a permanent secretary in Nigeria and eventually becomes a HOS of the federation. The influence, power wielding is left unimagined. Do you think the northerners are studpid when they prefer to stay and man strategic government ministry in Nigeria? No they understand that is where the shot is court. I'm even surprised that someone of his age has achieve such feat in the civil service in our present time.
It is choice, wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by rs172(m): 11:15pm On May 22, 2020
datola:
This that every one is leaving for Canada. Who will now remain to fix Nigeria

Most of you people just like to reap from where you did not sow.

And you are not going to the Canada to solve any problem for humanity but just to get 'good employment' and now pray that Nigeria catches fire and averyone remaining there should go to hell.

For those of you badmouthing Nigeria. Remember 'ajo Ko le da bi ile' (Other people's country can never be.like your own country)

By God's grace Nigeria shall be great again in my life time.

As if, it's we the younger generation that spoilt Nigeria, ajo ole da bi ile, no commot you hear, dey form patriotism there

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:16pm On May 22, 2020
Zaronxpanol:
I studied in Nairobi while My ex-husband studied in Denmark, although i have visited for 3 weeks why we were dating. It is a well-developed country with passive racism based on my short stay and most blacks do menial jobs.

i actually considered norway too , i really dread racism

today i went searching for racism crime in wales before i make my decision to move to wales LOL

thou its minimal and under control

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by drail400(m): 11:17pm On May 22, 2020
There is comfort in familiarity, but it takes real courage to step outside ones comfort zone.
Moving your whole life to another country so you can start a completely new one requires a good deal of resilience and bravery

Amen. Those running are cowards[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ekunsgreat: 11:17pm On May 22, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
please bro relocate to Canada... please kindly help me too I want to relocate
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by dgee1(m): 11:17pm On May 22, 2020
Hello, please I can source for Kolanut and BitterKola in large quantities. How can I connect with you sir?
Onlyonebuhari:
Let me tell u the simple truth, I export Yam and kola nut. The money I get from it I can't get it from Canada or the US. Let me tell u the real truth....I apply for credentialing in Canada and they have been disturbing since Monday that am qualified, they will issue work permit and Visa but I don't need it.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:17pm On May 22, 2020
Zaronxpanol:
Hello Op, I studied for my BSc in a foreign country and while my Ex-Husband studied for his MSc, and Ph.D. in Copenhagen Denmark. He struggled as a young Lecturer in a government university during the early stage of his career financially and getting married to a financially stable wife who works in a well paying private organization life abit comfortable for him. Although his life is better now as an associate professor compared to when he started.
So this fact below is coming from a well-traveled person. I have been to at least 13 countries and 4 continents.
FACTS
1 Abroad is for strong and open-minded. Are you ready to hustle real hard doing any kind of Job before your dream job?
2 No matter the job you do abroad low class or dirty job, you will earn a decent income. But are you ready to forfeit that I am a graduate or MSc status? In case there is a delay in getting that job you desire, or God forbid the coin turns to the other side or there.
3 My husband returned to Nigeria from Denmark not because they were no high paying jobs. But because he couldn't get an Academic job which was his passion. He told me he cannot be selling chicken burgers and chips or being a waiter or security with his Ph.D. While some of his mates who stayed behind are now managers of restaurants in Denmark with their Ph.D. They earn more than Vice-Chancellors of universities now. So are you willing to change your career path in case things don't go your way or you are after professional prestige which my husband preferred? As for me I did jobs unrelated to my course after graduating in that country and changed career immediately I returned to Nigeria, I am after a financially stable and quality life and not professional prestige or I must work here or there. Pay me good money I will work for even LAWMA grin cheesy
4 If your transfer to a new organization is successful, and they can pay you above 200k I will advise you to stay back,
5 Government job has long term benefits and pays when towards the end of your career. Suffer now and enjoy later compared with private jobs where you enjoy now and your future is unpredictable.
6 If you cannot transfer to a well-paying government organization please relocate abroad. 80k is worth the stress for a 30years old man. Except if you marry a woman with high income who can assist you, you will leave a life of pity with that 80k when you marry a liability or a selfish wife.
7 Know what you want and what you can let go of without thinking twice. You can lay hold on everything in life peace

Chai! God bless you richly for this post! Indeed you are well travelled and rich in experience!! You have said it all! Raw without mixing it up with sweetners and I have learned a lot from just this post you put up here.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by shegzee43: 11:18pm On May 22, 2020
MediaInspiredNG:
When you're at a major crossroad, ask God for guidance. Not all that glitters is gold.

May God continue to satisfy you with wisdom.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by YungLasaint(m): 11:19pm On May 22, 2020
softplace:

have not seen any link to your site sir
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by softplace: 11:20pm On May 22, 2020
YungLasaint:
have not seen any link to your site sir

fixed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

Banke, Lady Uses Recycled Tyres To Build Furniture (Photos) / I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.