Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary (30801 Views)

States’ Legislature, Judiciary Financial Autonomy: FG Releases Details / Reno Omokri: Heads Of Executive, Legislature, Judiciary, Army Northern Muslims / Buhari Constitutes Committee On Autonomy Of State Legislature (FULL LIST) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by oluemmakay(m): 8:21pm On May 22, 2020
Can we have the details of this Bill?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Exc2000: 8:22pm On May 22, 2020
Queenyprinxex:
What does the bill mean?

Judges and State House of assembly wont receive allocation from State Governors any more, they would get all their money straight from Abuja, meaning they can do as they like without a governor intimidating them

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by ngwababe(f): 8:22pm On May 22, 2020
Story.

That was what he said about Local Government, these Governors still dey chop our money.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by YADNUS11: 8:22pm On May 22, 2020
first time good is coming from buhari, here is the change.

Meanwhile, I will be President of Nigeria one day.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by sniperwolf(m): 8:22pm On May 22, 2020
Can someone breakdown the bill for a layman.
What was it like before now?
The new development with regards to the adjustment
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 22, 2020
Nonsense. Which autonomy? Let the states have autonomy over their treasure and resources.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Queenyprinxex(f): 8:23pm On May 22, 2020
Exc2000:

Judges and State House of assembly wont receive allocation from State Governors any more, they would get all their money straight from Abuja, meaning they can do as they like without a governor intimidating them

Ohh. Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by davibid: 8:23pm On May 22, 2020
Please include LGAs

Nice one
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Seerade029: 8:23pm On May 22, 2020
Queenyprinxex:
What does the bill mean?

This is what it means

The Order Provides that “The Accountant-General of the Federation shall by this Order and such any other Orders, Regulations or Guidelines as may be issued by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, authorise the deduction from source in the course of Federation Accounts Allocation from the money allocated to any State of the Federation that fails to release allocation meant for
the State Legislature and State Judiciary
in line with the financial autonomy guaranteed by Section 121(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as Amended)”.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Ugwueme1(m): 8:25pm On May 22, 2020
verygood so that would nolonger be greedy because of money pls help me I have spinal injure now suffering paralysis.see my signature for video evidence and full story
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by OdefaGirl(f): 8:25pm On May 22, 2020
Immediate implementation is the key....
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Xscape1993(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2020
fergie001:
President Muhammadu Buhari signs Executive Order 10 of 2020 granting financial autonomy to State Legislature and State Judiciary

https://twitter.com/MBuhari/status/1263891682430517254?s=19

https://twitter.com/MBuhari/status/1263892735184064518?s=19
Good one Mr president though I am no longer your follower.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Artzdanielsz(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2020
This one Na pure scratch my back I scratch yours.come and see the speed the state legislatures will pass the full lga autonomy bill

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by bankole200(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2020
On the right track Mr President. With this, I hope there will fair and equity in discharge of their duties and functions.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by bejeria101(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2020
Did he read it or it was played for him?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 8:27pm On May 22, 2020
fergie001:
President Muhammadu Buhari signs Executive Order 10 of 2020 granting financial autonomy to State Legislature and State Judiciary

https://twitter.com/MBuhari/status/1263891682430517254?s=19

https://twitter.com/MBuhari/status/1263892735184064518?s=19

Op,the heading is misleading.it is an executive order not a bill that was debated by nass as many aslre thinking
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 8:29pm On May 22, 2020
Seerade029:

This is what it means

The Order Provides that “The Accountant-General of the Federation shall by this Order and such any other Orders, Regulations or Guidelines as may be issued by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, authorise the deduction from source in the course of Federation Accounts Allocation from the money allocated to any State of the Federation that fails to release allocation meant for
the State Legislature and State Judiciary
in line with the financial autonomy guaranteed by Section 121(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as Amended)”.

Although this is a good and laudable move,am very happy.it is long overdue but am not sure the president has the powers to do this. Am thinking that for the state legislature and judiciary to be financially autonomous,they must be a constitutional amendment or at least an act by the nass.I remember how on several occasions during constitutional amendment,state legislatures voted against their own autonomy and that of local government which means it is a constitutional matter.this is like saying that buhari can sign an order making lgas to be free from states which is clearly illegal.

I think lawyers should throw more light on this
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Sixfeetbelle: 8:29pm On May 22, 2020
Macphenson:
Good one from Buhari. When you get it right , we appreciate you.

Please can you explain what this bill means?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Okoroawusa: 8:30pm On May 22, 2020
I Love PMB
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by chinyce(m): 8:30pm On May 22, 2020
This is will water down the excessive powers these governors have over their states. The State houses can legislate properly. Kudos to Buhari. More of these moves.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Niceman4u(m): 8:30pm On May 22, 2020
This is highly commendable, Mr President.
I will commend for the things u do and criticise u for the wrong ones.
Try to include Nigerians from other regions in ur appointment.
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by thundafire: 8:30pm On May 22, 2020
Will the state assembly accept,wen dey always run to the Governor to beg
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by sirp9898(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2020
If i don see any picture of him signing it i will not believe ;DIf i don see any picture of him signing it i will not believe
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by MDAgye: 8:32pm On May 22, 2020
what of local government autonomy
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by fergie001: 8:32pm On May 22, 2020
senatordave1:

Op,the heading is misleading.it is an executive order not a bill that was debated by nass as many aslre thinking

Mods help us..
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Okoroawusa: 8:32pm On May 22, 2020
Xscape1993:
Good one Mr president though I am no longer your follower.
I am still his follower
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 8:33pm On May 22, 2020
MDAgye:
what of local government autonomy

Inconclusive
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 22, 2020
This Gambari too dey sign.. �
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by Exc2000: 8:33pm On May 22, 2020
thundafire:
Will the state assembly accept,wen dey always run to the Governor to beg

they have nothing to beg the governor for, their own money would come from Abuja direct from the federation account

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by fergie001: 8:34pm On May 22, 2020
senatordave1:

Although this is a good and laudable move,am very happy.it is long overdue but am not sure the president has the powers to do this. Am thinking that for the state legislature and judiciary to be financially autonomous,they must be a constitutional amendment or at least an act by the nass.I remember how on several occasions during constitutional amendment,state legislatures voted against their own autonomy and that of local government which means it is a constitutional matter.this is like saying that buhari can sign an order making lgas to be free from states which is clearly illegal.

I think lawyers should throw more light on this
Totally Correct....when this.matter gets to Court. Trust lawyers, they will destroy this Order.

He approved for Judiciary in 2018 June.....yet what happens?
Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 8:35pm On May 22, 2020
fergie001:

Totally Correct....when this.matter gets to Court. Trust lawyers, they will destroy this Order.

Orr.it is a shaky order.executive orders should mainly cover minor issues mainly at the federal level.but the attorney general and accounting general are very influential and feared by many governors.they can still intimidate the governors and implement it afterall there's no financial gain for them.they can overlook it.it is only LGA autonomy that will bring issues

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary by fergie001: 8:37pm On May 22, 2020
senatordave1:

Orr.it is a shaky order.executive orders should mainly cover minor issues mainly at the federal level
Well, trust the Governors to do a virtual meeting and use the Courts and back-channels to deal ruthlessly with any Speaker that endorses it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Before Parents Start Eating Their Kids - VANGUARD / Adeyanju To Justice Nyako: Step Down From Kanu's Trial, Your Husband Is Fulani / Wike Sings "On Your Mandate Jagaban" In Gbajabiamila's Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.