Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,860 members, 7,806,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? (59514 Views)

Tired Of Staying At Home Which Of These Skills Should I Go For? / How Old Were You When Your Life Started and How Did It Start? / Are You Jobless? Earn, Learn & Have Fun With Wordstar Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by youngsahito(m): 9:08pm On Jun 11, 2020
tunjijones:
My story.

Finished from secondary sch at 16 with high hopes and good grade. My first real challenge was jamb. Did jamb 4 time bfor i finally made it to one of the federal universities. I spent like 6 years in the uni cos of strike and stuff and my course was a five years course. I went to one of those universities where lecturer are happy when student fail. I have had a lecturer that says you will all fail in Jesus name. I wonder the mentality. They brag among themselves how they made lot of student fail. I finished from the useless school (I still feel it was a waste of my time). To make it worse i graduated with a third class. I felt all was hope was lost. People will told me even me that had 2.1 i never see work shey na you wan come see work.

I accepted my faith. Am i promised myself that am not a failure. Started looking for job. Was at home for 19 months without job and frustrated with little or no financial assistant from any one.

Luck smiled on me. I got my first job of =N=49k. I saved almost everything because i wanted to do pro courses. I did and i passed with very good grades.
I did my PGD and in open uni and i have done my masters also.

Now am doing quite well, i have far exceeded where i tot i wld be in just 7 years. I got a very good job with the pro courses (In IT) i did.

So my point is that you should never limit yourself because that that grade you come out with in sch. You can still be great if you remain focus and if luck smile on you. Do pro courses (Though it is expensive but its worth it), dont give up, you too can make it even if you come out with a PASS or Third class.

which school did u do your pgd and how much does it cost? what pro course can u recommend for someone in your shoes?
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by misye9: 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2020
misye9
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Sheriman(m): 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2020
I don read so many comments.. Naija no be country Abeg!! Naija is killing people potential. Sometimes I just think why are we still going to the University for certificate gan self and at the end of the day e go just dey for show inside where you keep am??

12 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by youngsahito(m): 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2020
Akemim:
Finish Secondary school at 19
NYSC at 25
Self employed and also doing my masters, would have finished this year, but COVID 19 and ASUU
Building my house now

Still looking for other stream of income now that I am home... I still stay with my parents though.
what kind of business are you into?
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Adex099(m): 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2020

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Saynotoapc(m): 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2020
Favoritedealer:
Make I no lie na Yahoo i do,finished UNI at 23,I stayed home for a year and looked for job everywhere I didn't see shit,got a phone and a laptop then started bombing, I made my first million at 24.
7 years later now I'm a legit business owner if you can call it a business sha, I have 9 taxis and I employ young men to drive them and they deliver to me weekly .I guess I'm still jobless cos I don't do anything all day.i just wait till weekend and collect my due

Thank God Yahoo pay you.
Take this advice
Find something else do, find better business do.
You see transportation business no be am at all..
I can still remember my Dad had 5buses (Faka)..
Drivers keep coming with different excuses, it got to a point popcy got tired sold all the buses and now OG is living on his pension and small small things from his kids.

16 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Saynotoapc(m): 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2020
Favoritedealer:
Make I no lie na Yahoo i do,finished UNI at 23,I stayed home for a year and looked for job everywhere I didn't see shit,got a phone and a laptop then started bombing, I made my first million at 24.
7 years later now I'm a legit business owner if you can call it a business sha, I have 9 taxis and I employ young men to drive them and they deliver to me weekly .I guess I'm still jobless cos I don't do anything all day.i just wait till weekend and collect my due
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 11, 2020
OYENIYIJK:

thanks for this bro but a thread like this, serious people want to know the inside and outside of every testimony.

Please, what is your side hustle those days?
Back then in school, I get paid for doing assignments, tutorials. I also write project and I design softwares with my little knowledge in programming.
All these, remain my side hustle during my service year coz I got lots of recommendations from fellas that I've handled their assignments and projects. Up till now, I still get recommendations.
With my savings during my service year + assistance from my parents + loan, I started my retail business in January.
I paid the loan last month.

PS;
After NYSC in October, I applied as an online tutor and somehow my application was successful.
So for now, I work as an online tutor and a retail store owner....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by UKBobo(m): 9:14pm On Jun 11, 2020
I am Thankful to God for where i am today. [/b]

You can still make it if you don't have a job. Just start as small as possible.

Move away from home and squat with your sibling or good friend if you are too ashamed or not free to engage yourself.[/quote]

Which side Enugu u dey?
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by udemzyudex(m): 9:15pm On Jun 11, 2020
That's the fun part #15k and you rented an apartment within 6 months.

You can't try that here in lagos, even if it is a room.

Agreement and agent fees alone will eat up everything.

8 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Sadteen: 9:15pm On Jun 11, 2020
Sysdatek:
Finished school

Went straight into fx and crypto
No time
No regrets
E too bad 2kusd a month
can you teach me forex?
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Exmilitant(m): 9:16pm On Jun 11, 2020
2003-2005 I WAS RECIEVING 30K MONTHLY FROM NDDC. 2006-2008 45K MONTHLY NDDC. 2009 AMNESTY SOUTH AFRICA, DUBAI, ISRAEL. WAS PAID 1.5MILLION. 2010 MOBILE OFFSHORE 350K MONTHLY. 2011 TO DATE PRIVATE BUSINESS THAT RAKES IN MILLION. I AM HIGHLY FAVOURED.

38 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Meklex(m): 9:16pm On Jun 11, 2020
Graduated 2015. Did my NYSC in 2016. I started looking for ways to be self employed during my NYSC.

I found MMM, Fiverr, KDP, Mini Importation and Cryptocurrency and they have all been a blessing to me

20 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 11, 2020
Igolonwaanyi:
I've never been jobless.

Left secondary when I was 16. I spent four years at home working as a sales girl, saving for Uni, and helping my dad out with my salary sometimes.

Entered University, started side jobs while schooling. Editing people's novels for small fee. Working as a sales girl during ASUU strike and vacation.

In my third year, I got a steady job writing for a blog daily. My start pay was 25k monthly. With that I was able to pay my outstanding school fees, textbooks and final year clearance. Luckily it was during the free education period of 2013-2019.

Graduated last year. Since then, I've not had to apply for any job. Still doing that writing job (40k now) and also handling my own blog.

Hopefully by 2021 I'd have saved enough to leave Nigeria for masters.
Fantastic shocked

U don't have to reach ngozi okonjo iweala level to be declared an Amazon.
U are one kiss
U earned it.

So wear it like a crown. kiss

12 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Jewingle(m): 9:17pm On Jun 11, 2020
Hello
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Kokoebapluse(m): 9:17pm On Jun 11, 2020
Am 26 years old am still schooling, i dont have any job but inshallah am planning to go and learn a skill auto electrical ( rewire) here in Kaduna after lockdwon.

10 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Britishcoins(m): 9:17pm On Jun 11, 2020
Let me talk my own, I started apprenticeship immediately after jss3, my uncle owns electronic and boutique business then, so those 10 years was like a wasted year because I was settled with peanut #50k which was not even enough to pay for agent fees for good business location, but God so kind, I have a lot of experience on Mobile gadget, during the era of ponzi scheme I made almost 600k and did not disclose it to anyone, that money later saved my life.
Today I have a boutique that gave me atleast 180k monthly profit.... Although this is just a year old.
My plan is to venture into mobile accessories... And I believe God will do it..
Poverty is a disease...
If you want to succeed in life, as a youth run from fornication, I get favors many times because I have never break my virginity...
May God bless all our hard working youths

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 11, 2020
udemzyudex:
That's the fun part #15k and you rented an apartment within 6 months.

You can't try that here in lagos, even if it is a room.

Agreement and agent fees alone will eat up everything.
So true.
Just yesterday, I asked my dad (he's into real estate and properties) how much it'll cost me to get a room self-contained apartment;
His response;. ₦120k per annum for 2 years (that's ₦240k), then agreement and commission of ₦150k.
That's around ₦400k in total.
To spoil matter, he said that's the least I could get.
Local man just weak undecided

1 Like

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by callmeRichie(m): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2020
I went through the first page and really got to learn, business is the deal of the day right now! I'm giving up on academics already, I'm losing taste of it gradually.

Starting from my degree result, it was a pure disappointment! And this is the biggest blow I ever had! Academics is probably a no go area for me again, well I won't right myself off yet sha, I don't know what God has in stock.

I'm saving hard presently, hoping to start Fishery or Sound/Phone Techs later, no matter how small.

We would be OK laslas!

7 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by iLegendd(m): 9:21pm On Jun 11, 2020
Nice thread even though I only read the title.

3 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Akemim(m): 9:22pm On Jun 11, 2020
youngsahito:
what kind of business are you into?

I do blogging and dropshipping
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Lamize: 9:24pm On Jun 11, 2020
Reading all this testimony and comments is making me so emotional and tears almost dropping. Please don't ask me why.

I'm 20years, finished ND and planning to continue with my HND after this pandemic is over. Teaching at a private school for the meantime, anybody with an idea on any side hustle I can engage in please help me. Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by petitejolie(f): 9:25pm On Jun 11, 2020
Hmmmnnnn....me wanted to join one man in one business of supplying agric products like maize, cashew nuts , millets to a partiular company wont mention its name. So i put my savings and i told him oga this is my savings o, i really want to do something for myself cos i saw prospect in it. Its over a year now d man cant account for the money. Since then I've been scared of getting into any bizness at all. Its not like im swimming in money for me to risk loosing it . i saved so badly while taking care of my other needs. It was so painful

9 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by SALLYBERRY01(m): 9:26pm On Jun 11, 2020
tunjijones:
My story.

Finished from secondary sch at 16 with high hopes and good grade. My first real challenge was jamb. Did jamb 4 time bfor i finally made it to one of the federal universities. I spent like 6 years in the uni cos of strike and stuff and my course was a five years course. I went to one of those universities where lecturer are happy when student fail. I have had a lecturer that says you will all fail in Jesus name. I wonder the mentality. They brag among themselves how they made lot of student fail. I finished from the useless school (I still feel it was a waste of my time). To make it worse i graduated with a third class. I felt all was hope was lost. People will told me even me that had 2.1 i never see work shey na you wan come see work.

I accepted my faith. Am i promised myself that am not a failure. Started looking for job. Was at home for 19 months without job and frustrated with little or no financial assistant from any one.

Luck smiled on me. I got my first job of =N=49k. I saved almost everything because i wanted to do pro courses. I did and i passed with very good grades.
I did my PGD and in open uni and i have done my masters also.

Now am doing quite well, i have far exceeded where i tot i wld be in just 7 years. I got a very good job with the pro courses (In IT) i did.

So my point is that you should never limit yourself because that that grade you come out with in sch. You can still be great if you remain focus and if luck smile on you. Do pro courses (Though it is expensive but its worth it), dont give up, you too can make it even if you come out with a PASS or Third class.

what do you mean by pro course, and what are the IT courses you took.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by BoboKush(m): 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2020
dukeprince50:
My story is very annoying sha.
I left secondary school while I was 17, got admission into a private uni but couldn't continue because of the way the school treat students, there is no respect for the students. and I'm not the kind of person who fancy a secondary boarding school kinda settings and my course was not accredited in that same school, after spending few years there, I thought its not worth the stress so I left and went to a state school and studied a five year course, I was suppose to graduate last year but then because of ASUU, I graduated January this year, I decided to forget my certificate though I had a good grade but I wanted a different life that is not about certificate and then coronavirus came and time deh tick, age deh go. I was never at home Jobless but when I look back, most part of my life after secondary school was useless but whenever life gives me a reason to quit, I just can't give up, I have a feeling as long as I keep struggling to go higher, I may get to the top one day

I will get to the top one day

18 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by ublight: 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2020
Pentolution:
my dear the best thing for you to do is to acquire a skill instead of staying at home and waiting for a job. I know some people at after 18 years 10 years they haven't seen a job. sometimes even the job available pays a useless 50-60k, because of the state of the Economy. These days skills pay more than some corporate jobs. It's better to acquire apprenticeship skills such as Barbing, hair dressing, computer skills e.t.c because they require less capital and their Returns are very high and quick to recoup. or better still if you have the funds you can go into trading, while still applying for jobs so that you won't lose on both ends.

meanwhile at Emerald music we promote your gospel music, market and distribute it. we include your music to Gospel mixtapes, we do video shooting, TV and radio promotion if you want album we can do it for you contact me on 0 8 1 3 0 2 9 4 3 2 9 thank you.

how much
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Niceman4u(m): 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2020
Igolonwaanyi:

How much do you have yourself?

The truth you don't know is this- rich men can't settle for broke girls who have nothing to bring to the table.

Let's assume you're broke, are you breathtakingly beautiful? How packaged is your ManCHESTer and ASSnal.

If No to those question, you better start looking for blue eyes to charm wealthy men, or get a loan to work on your body.

How can dignify that clout chaser by replying him/her.
I don't know if it is a he or she.
That 'he-she' being is found of looking for attention here.
Pls don't waste ur precious time for such a person

2 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by raphy(m): 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
let me charge my Bartry will be back to tell my story.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by youngsahito(m): 9:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
Akemim:

I do blogging and dropshipping
I haven't heard about this dropshipping?
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by udemzyudex(m): 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2020
GentRoyal:

So true.
Just yesterday, I asked my dad (he's into real estate and properties) how much it'll cost me to get a room self-contained apartment;
His response;. ₦120k per annum for 2 years (that's ₦240k), then agreement and commissioner of ₦150k.
That's around ₦400k in total.
To spoil matter, he said that's the least I could get.
Local man just weak undecided

I'm telling you, that's why a serious person earning let's say #50k in Uyo or any state in the South will achieve more than someone earning the same amount in lagos.

2 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Tiwalade01: 9:30pm On Jun 11, 2020
Can you please say more one the rice business??Am in terested

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Top 7 Skills You Should Acquire In 2020 / How I Was Wrongly Accused Of Rape And Got Sacked / Man Sacked After Being Caught On CCTV Masturbating In Office's Kitchen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.