Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic (2692 Views)

Vintage Photo Shows Football Fans Wearing Facemask During 1918 Pandemic / See Sowore Fans Wearing The New Nigeria Jersey At Wembly Stadium Today. / UCL: Football Fans Fume At What Neymar Did After Madrid's Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:36pm On May 24, 2020
ATLANTA (WXIA) - Stadiums continue to sit empty.

There are few answers on when they may be filled again. While leagues and conferences discuss a return to sports, many of those plans bar fans for the foreseeable future.

While times are unique, it's not the first time sports has been affected by a pandemic.

"The virus is on a similar time track," said Andy McNeil, a Georgia Tech graduate and mechanical engineer. "History does repeat itself."

McNeil has had an image in his office for years of Grant Field at Georgia Tech in 1918. One image shows the team on the field. The other, the stands - filled with fans wearing masks over their faces.

A note on the back of the picture reads "Georgia Tech during 1918 pandemic."

McNeil's great-grandfather, Thomas Carter, took the picture.

McNeil first found the images as a child. When he rediscovered them later, he had the originals blown up so he could frame them.

It's been a talking point for years as people inquired about the pictures. An era that once seemed unimaginable, now a reality.

"When the coronavirus started, I was like, 'Wow, I had a family member who lived through this'."

McNeil's great-grandfather, Carter, loved adventure. Hoping to learn more about the Flu Pandemic in 1918, McNeil listened to old tapes his family had produced. In them, were interviews with Carter.

Perhaps attending a football game during a pandemic was seen just as daring.

"People understood the ramifications of the Spanish Flu at that time," McNeil said. "Would he be alive if he didn't wear a mask? Who knows."

Society has come so far in some ways.

The world is currently rushing to produce a vaccine for COVID-19, yet the image of a football game in 1918 mirrors what life looks like today, with many people donning face coverings.

"It's a dose of reality," McNeil said. "Before coronavirus, I couldn't imagine being at Georgia Tech with a mask on. A pandemic never crossed my mind. It's a reality that history repeats itself, and we can get through it, but we have to do the right thing."
https://www.wthr.com/article/vintage-picture-shows-football-fans-wearing-masks-during-1918-pandemic

1 Share

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by izzou(m): 3:39pm On May 24, 2020
See as person nack suit and tie because him wan watch football angry

Tufiakwa
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by DanseMacabre(m): 3:40pm On May 24, 2020
Hmmmm. There's nothing new under the sun indeed.

So this brings to fore the question, what are we missing

See how crowded football fans are simply by wearing masks. Yet even with our masks circa hundred years later, with all our medical and scientific advancements, they're telling us we cannot congregate. Some people are insisting on waiting till a compulsory vaccine is found before resuming activities fully around the globe.

This is despite the fact that COVID 19 has been proven beyond all doubt to be far less severe than the Spanish Flu.

I must indeed be missing something.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:41pm On May 24, 2020
izzou:

Tufiakwa
Those were the genteel times. The era of gentility.

History truly has a disconcerting way of repeating itself.

1 Like

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Enoch07: 3:42pm On May 24, 2020
and we'll repeat it again in 2020 or 2021
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by fulaniHERDSman(m): 3:42pm On May 24, 2020
cool
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by awesomely: 3:42pm On May 24, 2020
Truly history repeats itself.
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by izzou(m): 3:45pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

Those were the times

Everyday na suit.

Even the women then: the dress na like 1000 yards of cloth dem use sew am grin

I thank God say I no dey then
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

https://www.wthr.com/article/vintage-picture-shows-football-fans-wearing-masks-during-1918-pandemic

They should stop calling that American football of theirs "Football".

Ffs, this is something that they play with their hands half the time, so why try to confuse us

***Georgia Tech... all shown in that photograph must have been students. Or at least 90% of them. Look at how they are dressed. Must have been a collegiate American football match.

At the risk of stating the obvious...

2 Likes

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:51pm On May 24, 2020
izzou:

Everyday na suit.

Even the women then: the dress na like 1000 yards of cloth dem use sew am grin

I thank God say I no dey then
Better then than now that immodesty is the order of the day

1 Like

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:51pm On May 24, 2020
mansakhalifa:

They should calling that American football of theirs "Football".

Ffs, this is something that they play with their hands half the time, so why try to confuse us
Confuses me too
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:52pm On May 24, 2020
fulaniHERDSman:
cool
Dick, why are you booking space?
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by DanseMacabre(m): 3:52pm On May 24, 2020
Enoch07:
and we'll repeat it again in 2020 or 2021

2120 or 2121 you mean.
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 3:53pm On May 24, 2020
DanseMacabre:

See how crowded football fans are simply by wearing masks. Yet even with our masks circa hundred years later, with all our medical and scientific advancements, they're telling us we cannot congregate. Some people are insisting on waiting till a compulsory vaccine is found before resuming activities fully around the globe.

This is despite the fact that COVID 19 has been proven beyond all doubt to be far less severe than the Spanish Flu.

I guess they are erring on the side caution?
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by dandydrey(m): 3:54pm On May 24, 2020
wawu
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by izzou(m): 3:55pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

Better then than now that immodesty is the order of the day

Better?

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

Confuses me too

I don't just get it sad

Look at rugby. It is pretty much a distant cousin of football as well but they don't go around calling it just "football" simply to confuse everyone else.

They make sure to call it Rugby union or rugby football. Because they know the real thing is the real estate thing. Simple.
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Enoch07: 3:55pm On May 24, 2020
DanseMacabre:

2120 or 2121 you mean.
Bros u don already see d future. quickly open one church one side abeg make I come drop my tithe
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by DanseMacabre(m): 3:57pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

I guess they are erring on the side caution?

Probably. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though.
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 24, 2020
DanseMacabre:

You have a point here, you know?
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by DanseMacabre(m): 3:59pm On May 24, 2020
Enoch07:

Bros u do already see d future. quickly open one church one side abeg make I come drop my tithe

grin

Mea culpa bro. I misunderstood your comment. I forgot that we aren't even safely out of the woods yet, let alone being allowed to watch matches. And 2020 is still young.

My comment still stands tho. grin

1 Like

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by excanny: 3:59pm On May 24, 2020
izzou:

Tufiakwa

T-shirts were newly invented then and wasn't so popular.

1 Like

Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 4:00pm On May 24, 2020
izzou:

Better?
Yes. Is keeping your private parts private too much to ask?
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by izzou(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2020
Ishilove:

Yes. Is keeping your private parts private too much to ask?

People still dress decently these days...

Women look more smart and beautiful these days, unlike when they were covered like 50kg bags of millet lipsrsealed
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by izzou(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2020
excanny:

T-shirts were newly invented then and wasn't so popular.

Ohh
Okay
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by Ishilove: 4:22pm On May 24, 2020
izzou:

People still dress decently these days...

Women look more smart and beautiful these days, unlike when they were covered like 50kg bags of millet lipsrsealed
True grin
Re: Vintage Picture Shows Football Fans Wearing Masks During 1918 Pandemic by scoundrel(f): 10:36pm On May 26, 2020
Too much prevention is not enough prevention. Unlike back then when they could congregate while wearing masks, we have less chances of spreading the plague already upon us. Why is this? It is simple: we are locked down at home and practicing proper hygiene. It saddens me to realize that once this virus is under control or accepted as a reality of life, all the hand sanitizers and soaps which grace public places will disappear once again.

(1) (Reply)

[PHOTOS] Meet The Wives & Kids Of Your Favourite Nigerian Footballers / El Clasico: Real Madrid C.F vs FC Barcelona. Today kick off Time 6.15pm / Women's World Cup: Real Definition Of Sportsmanship (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.