Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? (71524 Views)

COVID 19-I have lost sense of smell / Loss Of Sense Of Smell And Taste / Your Vagina Should Smell And If Your Man Doesn't Like It DUMP Him, Gynecologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Princewell2012(m): 12:19pm On May 28, 2020
ThreeBlackBird:

Even abroad, na malaria drugs them dey use manage the virus. Why should it be different in Nigeria?

Have you ever heard someone lose sense of taste for malaria before?
Don't mind him. I have had uncountable malaria before but never lost my sense of smelling. That's shows you it is not ordinary malaria. Thank God am better now. I can perceive any odor very well now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by wesley80(m): 12:19pm On May 28, 2020
Felt same more than a week ago. Started out looking like malaria but being an AA and one that regularly treated malaria, something was off about the symptoms I felt this time. By the second day, the pains on my body and joints were immense and I literally slept all through the day with slight fever and headaches. No cough or difficulty breathing experienced but by the second day, I'd lost my sense of smell but could still taste sweetness and saltyness. Was thinking of going for a typhoid test as I was certain it wasn't malaria this time but meanwhile binged on fruits - barely ripe mangos (I read a single one contains 30 times as much Vit C as you can get in an orange). I found the local herb - lemon and garlic soaked in boiled water very helpful as the relief it gave was near immediate. Also took good multivitamin capsules and started feeling some relief by the 4th day and my sense of smell is gradually returning after a week.
Been working from home so able to isolate effectively but my brother came around and despite our precautions also started feeling symptoms. I think the virus is all over Lagos.

11 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Cheks5(m): 12:19pm On May 28, 2020
TrueHeart365:
Wow! Me too. It started with malaria symptoms, then I couldn't taste nor smell anything

I've recovered though.

But it's a scary experience
same thing happened to me. I had malaria symptoms, pains in my joints, slight headache, and a little chest pain.did not loose my breathe. but little climbing step and I will just be breathing like I ran 100 metres. I took malaria medicine and gradually it progressed to slight headache no chest pain and complete loss of smell and partial loss of taste. can taste salt and sugar but not the flavour in a meal. infact it's just like tasting the salt used to prepare any food. now I have regained the my tasting and smelling ability, but now I have mucous like feeling in my nose but no mocous and a feeling of coughing, but no cough.

5 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by hstar: 12:20pm On May 28, 2020
Rodwave:

No evidence to backup this your claim
No evidence ke, dybala contracted it over and over.
Now, I've recently recovered and the headache comes back again.
But I'm self treating myself
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 12:20pm On May 28, 2020
swaqq:
i just recovered last week
thank God . but how long did urs last and which medications did u take .?
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Getfun: 12:20pm On May 28, 2020
Hmm mine was two Sundays ago.. Started with sudden tiredness, took anti malaria, in three days lost sense of smell and taste for like three days.. Now it's gone for like week now this coming Sunday makes it three weeks..
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by kponkedenge(m): 12:20pm On May 28, 2020
martineverest:
malaria doesn't make one lose sense of smell and taste..covid is real

It does. That's one of the symptoms. As well as high temperature and sometimes headache.

You only made mention of no sense of smell.... Which is a general symptom of many flu or sickness... You didn't complained of dry cough or chest pain which is a symptom of Covid-19.... Malaria doesn't give you cough or chest pain.
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by olurili(m): 12:21pm On May 28, 2020
am still battling with it, not fully recover self

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by johnmattew: 12:22pm On May 28, 2020
Elvis778:
Hmm, this thread Sha,
Well I didn't have loss of taste and sense of smell,
But I had serious dry cough, mild malaria and at some point difficulty in breathing,was going through the internet searching to know if those are symptoms of COVID-19 or just common cold, was so scared but convincing my self it's not COVID-19,
my mum started having same too after some time, my junior brother also.had it.too, we just took cough syrup and anti maleria medicine which made me feel more sick, but got better after taking the whole tablets, am getting better sha
But I still believe its not COVID-19
the fact that almost everyone got same symptoms in ur family speaks alot....malaria isn't contagious,corona is contagious..think about it

6 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 28, 2020
konkonbilo:
yes.. Very well. Even the malaria drugs taste bad

That it tastes bad at all means you didn't loose your sense of taste.

3 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by 1stdammy: 12:22pm On May 28, 2020
TrueHeart365:
Wow! Me too. It started with malaria symptoms, then I couldn't taste nor smell anything

I've recovered though.

But it's a scary experience

How long does it take you to recover back both senses, cos I am currently experiencing the same thing since last week. And again, did you use anything to get it back?
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Nickymezor(f): 12:22pm On May 28, 2020
Folzye:

Lol, just trying to pull your legs.. However what people are experiencing is not the corona virus.. Since this pandemic started, there have been adjustments to our lifestyle, the environment and the likes and the body is just trying to adjust to the new normal
Hmmmm, if u say so but then I think sm fellows definitely HV it here
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by EzzyCarter: 12:24pm On May 28, 2020
Sparkle777:

Read again Hunku, this time wit ur glasses.

Lmao . No glasses aunty, Unless it's Gucci or Prada cheesy .
Stay Safe smiley
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by johnmattew: 12:24pm On May 28, 2020
NwaIgboBoy:

yes plz I have similar thing. I loss my test & smell for six days now. plz how long did urs take to recover and which medications did u take? plz I need to know u can reply or call me 08062588906. thanks!
take ginger,garlic,vitamic c,green tea and lemon...it will help boost your immune system..stay away from it parents and people with health issues

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Investnow2017: 12:25pm On May 28, 2020
dexla:
I'm experiencing the same thing after treating malaria. The same with my sister, we both lost the 2 senses and we dont even know the real taste of what we've been cooking and it's been over a week. Some food taste really salty, some just blanch, yesterday I had sore throat and decided to get benylin for wet phlegm and septrin and this morning I could smell my damp clothe. I could just imagine if I didnt take a whiff of that smell and w aore that smelly dress to office cry cry.

When you say you had malaria, did you run a malaria test? I am just curious please.

3 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by wesley80(m): 12:26pm On May 28, 2020
Folzye:

Lol, just trying to pull your legs.. However what people are experiencing is not the corona virus.. Since this pandemic started, there have been adjustments to our lifestyle, the environment and the likes and the body is just trying to adjust to the new normal
Could you just shut up? Thank you.

14 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by johnmattew: 12:26pm On May 28, 2020
FRANKOSKI:
I HAVE LOST IT ALL, DON'T TELL ME IT'S JUST MORE THAN CATARR!
have u ever had catarrh that made u lose it sense of smell and taste?...think about it.

u are having mild symptoms of Corona..stay away from ur parents and people with underlying sicknesses like hypertension, diabetes,HIV etc

3 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Tekzyflex(m): 12:26pm On May 28, 2020
czarr:
Almost everyone in my family and church have lost their sense of smell and taste and recovered recently....which is a symptom of corona virus.

Are we all infected and recovering on our own?
after all there is a 98% recovery rate.

Am still recovering from lost of smell and taste. Am in PH. Garlic, ginger, lemon and lime has been my recipe for now.

4 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by EzzyCarter: 12:27pm On May 28, 2020
hstar:

Does cold drinks affect too?
Cos I can't do without cold drink

If you love yourself, stay away from chilled drinks till you've completely recovered. Hot drinks like ginger and tea should be ur companion now. Also, you need a lot of spicy foods...
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Princewell2012(m): 12:28pm On May 28, 2020
Vyzz:
grin

Na wetin man go need now
Make we dey chop without caring about the tase
Initially I was thinking I should move on with it. But at the same time I was like why should I lost part of my organ. Which is in charge of smelling. I said no no that can not be grin
Vyzz:
grin

Na wetin man go need now
Make we dey chop without caring about the tase
Initially I was thinking I should move on with it. But at the same time I was like why should I lost part of my organ. Which is in charge of smelling. I said no no that can not be
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Damcomolux(m): 12:28pm On May 28, 2020
same thing to
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by hstar: 12:29pm On May 28, 2020
EzzyCarter:

If you love yourself, stay away from chilled drinks till you've completely recovered. Hot drinks like ginger and tea should be ur companion now. Also, you need a lot of spicy foods...
Alright, I would stick to that.
But please do you have evidence for this or its just ur thought?
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Folzye(m): 12:29pm On May 28, 2020
wesley80:

Could you just shut up? Thank you.

You are an idiot for replying me that way... Never in your life bump into my posts like an uncultured bastard. Never ever!

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Rodwave: 12:30pm On May 28, 2020
hstar:

No evidence ke, dybala contracted it over and over.
Now, I've recently recovered and the headache comes back again.
But I'm self treating myself

Still no evidence to your claim.

You have not been diagnosed, so how did you know that you are covid19 positive?

Send me a link on dybala covid19 case if you are sure of what you are saying.
Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by wesley80(m): 12:31pm On May 28, 2020
Folzye:

You are an idiot for replying me that way... Never in your life bump into my posts like an uncultured bastard. Never ever!
Will you shut up now? Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Investnow2017: 12:31pm On May 28, 2020
Salvador1:
same thing with me I just recover from a serious malaria yet my sense of taste and smell is not yet back and I'm in Lagos too .

God oooo

Did you run a malaria test?

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by illicit(m): 12:31pm On May 28, 2020
Coronavirus

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by akcliff(m): 12:33pm On May 28, 2020
czarr:
Almost everyone in my family and church have lost their sense of smell and taste and recovered recently....which is a symptom of corona virus

Are we all infected and recovering on our own?
after all there is a 98% recovery rate.

I've been feeling same way for a couple of days now

1 Like

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by periphetes: 12:33pm On May 28, 2020
In my own assumption,

I think the frequent use of face mask limits the fresh supply of oxygen to the brain.

(face mask encourages higher level of carbon dioxide in the blood due to its incapacity to expel Co2 fully while wearing the mask)
This in return limits the optimal functioning of our sensory organs which needs more oxygen than co2.

6 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Investnow2017: 12:34pm On May 28, 2020
Edusouls:
yes seems you’re right I experienced it 3weeks ago, with tiredness, mild fever and shortness of breath I wanted to rush to hospital, called NCDC’s line they said I should give it some days, I relaxed and with multiple anti malaria drugs and other treatments am recovered fully now, yes many mild symptoms don’t need hospitalisation

.... Yes dear, but many mild carriers can spread it, hence the need to take precautionary measures.

2 Likes

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by KC031: 12:34pm On May 28, 2020
As a pharmacist, I have encountered such complaints from more than 10 clients,deep inside me,I know they might have contracted it but they will always rebuke it whenever I try bringing it up.So,understanding the psychology and religious fanatics among our people, I will give them Good supplements for immunity boost and high strength vit C not forgetting to encourage them to go for testing and observe necessary precautions and almost all of them if not all are doing perfectly well.

*Modified*
God is actually helping us here in Africa coz going by what is obtainable in UK,US n recently Brazil, we all would have been in for a long thing by now and the open drug market whereby one can conveniently walk in to a pharmacy get whatever supplements and medication one wants is a big advantage to us unlike strict measures applicable in somewhere like US.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? by Swingate(m): 12:34pm On May 28, 2020
Fellow Nigerians, the coronavirus is upon us as we speak,it is sweeping through like an ocean wave and nothing can stop it as if moves through, it will carry the weak and the sick, some will survive and some will not.
Let us brace ourselves for the impact, this is not about curfew and nose masks or believing it exists or not,. This is about our immune system and good luck,.
I wish everyone the best of luck and a healthy ready immune system, I also pray for the souls of those that won't make it and those who have already gone an external rest plus forgiveness.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply)

Meet Bangladeshi Men Born Without Fingerprints For Generations (Photos) / 12 Years With HIV - Lady Marks World AIDS Day (Pictures) / Chinese Doctor Grows New Ear On Man's Arm To Restore His Hearing(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.