Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

How I Built Shelter For 3 Widows - Okafor, Lawmaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Built Shelter For 3 Widows - Okafor, Lawmaker (177 Views)

Lagos To Empower Amputee Single Parent, Relocates Her To Temporary Shelter / Obaseki Unveils Shelter For Libya Returnees / Smart Nonso Okafor: Mother Sells Akara, He Won Anambra Assembly Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Built Shelter For 3 Widows - Okafor, Lawmaker by thatsleepboy1: 5:10pm On May 24, 2020
How I built shelter for 3 widows – Okafor, lawmaker.

Member representing Nnewi North constituency in Anambra State House of Assembly, Hon. Smart Okafor, has fulfilled his promise to build a house for three childless widows in his constituency.

The widows, who were living in mud house in Okpuno, Nnewichi, Nnewi, were married to the same husband who is now late, but had no children.

Speaking during the handing over ceremony, Okafor stated that he was moved by the plight of the aged widows to provide them with shelter.

According to him, the beneficiaries deserved to be tended like babies considering their ages and should not be allowed to die in penury.

The lawmaker, who stated that he started the building project in March 2020, expressed joy over its timely completion, and subsequent handover for use by the widows.

“When I visited these women early this year, I was moved to pity when I noticed that the oldest who was in her seventies or eighties was blind and sick. Their dilapidated mud house was not so different from living outside as it was riddled with gaping holes which could not prevent cold, mosquitoes, or even snake attacks,” he narrated.

“Each time it rains, they suffer severe cold as major parts of the zinc covering the thatched house were leaking, coupled with the fact that some parts of the mud house were already falling, posing a death trap to them as it could collapse at any moment.

Disturbed by their plight, I decided to build a modern house for them, a house that will not only give them basic shelter but also a sense of belonging. Women of their age live in houses built by their children but since they were unfortunate to have any, I decided to be a son to them. And what sons do for their mother, I promised to do for them.

This house may not be all these women require in their life, but I believe this house will not only put smiles on their faces but will also strengthen their life and increase their life span”.

The 3-bedroom bungalow with a sitting room is furnished with a set of cushion chairs, side stools and centre table, a flat-screen LED TV and pay-TV decoder with one-year full subscription.

Each of the three rooms is furnished with a wardrobe, bed, mattress, beddings and curtains. Both the kitchen which is also furnished, the toilet and bath are all in line with every sense of modernity.

Dignitaries that graced the occasion included the Speaker of Anambra State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Uche Okafor, Igwe Nnewi, His Royal Highness, Igwe Dr. K. O. N. Orizu (III), among others.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/how-i-built-shelter-for-3-widows-okafor-lawmaker/

Re: How I Built Shelter For 3 Widows - Okafor, Lawmaker by HRHQueenPhil(f): 5:16pm On May 24, 2020
My plan for when I blow
A minimum 50 room old people home for the elderly managed by myself..I hate seeing them suffer and hustling

1 Like

Re: How I Built Shelter For 3 Widows - Okafor, Lawmaker by thatsleepboy1: 5:22pm On May 24, 2020
HRHQueenPhil:
My plan for when I blow
A minimum 50 room old people home for the elderly managed by myself..I hate seeing them suffer and hustling

May the good Lord answer your prayers. Amen.

(1) (Reply)

The Funny Circle Of Basic Economics / Do You Think It's The West's Fault For Nigeria's Misfortune? / LASG Begins Periodic Fumigation Of Ministries And Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.