Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming (1197 Views)

Alagbon Ayomide, An Eksu Graduate Making A Living From Shoemaking / Man Who Fetches Sand For A Living In Enugu (Photos) / “I Am An Uber Driver, Not A Yahoo Boy" - Man Reveals What He Does For A Living (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 5:39pm On May 24, 2020
I discovered a lot of Nigerians want to port to tech basically because of the money and opportunities just like more of our parents ventured into finance in their own days.

Programming is not a piece of cake.

Many want to learn web and app development, you see people on nairaland saying they want to learn php, python and java so has to make big money so to speak and equally get great jobs overseas.

But most people don't know IT is very large, programming is not the only thing that can fetch you money in the IT Department. A lot of people can build websites for as low as ₦20,000 the competition right now is too high.

Getting clients equally is not easy, the best form many programmers get clients is via referrals. Equally due to the covid19 outbreak most people don't care about a website what they care about is money how to make money. As a freelance myself when i talk to prospects about websites they are not really motivated to do it but when i add this add-ons to the proposal it drives them to make decisions, i believe this can help you too.

You need to find ways to help companies generate profit, this is the season of sales.

Most of this fields are great for you if you can be creative enough to drive sales for clients, depending on your creativity and client base you can be earning between 100 to 200k in a month.

These are fields in IT you can actually become a pro in, not everyone would know how to code.

PICK A NICHE AND BECOME A PRO

Email Marketing and newsletters design: I do cold mail a lot and the result is always fantastic, the first thing that moves a client is how did you get their email it triggers them to use your service, it has worked for me a lot. Email Marketing is an art, according to statista over 20 to 40 million Nigerians use smart phones and we all know you need an email to make your phone fully functional for example android without an email you cant access playstore and some other core functionalities of your phone. You need to know how to make sure the emails sent aren't going to the spam folder or promotion tab but directly into their inbox.

I charge between 15k to 25k to do email marketing for individuals and companies multiply that by 10 clients, you can be earning between 100k to 150k per month on your own, platforms like mail chimp, getresponse, mailrush etc would help you send out mails to thousand of people in minutes or hour or you can get a private smtp. The ROI average is at 47% if you do it rightly. Get companies a client that covers the cost of that campaign makes them use your services more. I sent a cold mail to a prospect on Thursday i guess and he told me he wanted to get field agents to do the marketing for his company but changed his mind and wants to engage my service instead.

Lead Generator: Apart from sending newsletter, you need to learn how to get functional email addresses. Companies pay thousands of Naira for email addresses, you might be wondering why because they know some of their clients can miss their ads but would not miss their mails so they are always trying to get email addresses they can use for their newsletter campaign. Sending emails is not enough if its not sent to the right people . Leads can be created for purposes such as list building, e-newsletter list acquisition or for sales leads.
Lead generation isn’t just about getting people to visit their site in the first place. It’s also about collecting their info so they can contact those visitors, and nurture them into becoming loyal customers and raving fans. To guide them through that journey, you need to use the right lead generation tools.

Lead generation is not about just getting emails but getting direct emails or contacts of people that would purchase services of your clients. For example you cant get emails of just anybody for construction firms, you need to get leads of companies into property development or financial institution or private investors who are active in Real estate Development.
After getting the emails make sure you verify if the emails are OK, don't sell dead mails to clients it spoils your chances of another deal or even deals

Article writing: You can earn between 5000 to 15000 Naira writing articles for companies. Most innovative companies know how important writing articles draw clients, writing an article for real estate companies that drives sales for them will drive money for you for example a topic like this Top places to live in Lagos for Expatriates can bring thousands of foreigners to their website which turns to sales for them. You can start by writing engaging articles on nairaland that makes front page you can use those articles as your portfolio when defending your proposals and equally your price. Believe me there is no website that commands respect like nairaland in nigeria , i was checking the top websites in nigeria on similar web virtually all websites draw their traffic from nairaland even linda ikeji. Pictures attached from similar web

SEO Expert: Every company that has a website no 1 wish is to make sure their website is on google first page. Most people think SEO is magic , to grow your SEO you need to write articles of interest and find appropriate keywords. Write articles that you know people would search for, be in the minds of people. Cheapest places to live in Ajah is a good Topic that can drive traffic for real estate firms in lekki. Seo guys charge 25k for their job multiply that by 5 and you can earn more if you work more smarter and harder. i use real estate a lot because many real estate firms are always looking for clients every second that's why they spend a lot on ads.  Neil patel doesn't build websites but can draw 3 million visits to a website in a month , imagine how much companies pay for his services

Digital Marketing: Running ads for companies and individuals would bring revenue to you too, just know how to run the ads and bring clients for them watch how they keep coming back and referring others to you. Run ads for people on facebook, instagarm, twitter and even nairaland would draw profit for any company if its done rightly.

Explainer Videos: With websites like renderforest you can make great animated videos or explainers. Companies want to run ads but they need nice contents that would drive sales for them.

Yes i build websites and apps but i didn't just settle down there, i took my time to learn all this things. If you have a tech company and don't know how to do this things you would be making loads of losses from your end too.

NOTE: Nothing in this post is intended to be a guarantee or promise. The results i have is because i intentionally implemented proven strategies and they are not typical, its down to hard work, commitment and being intentional. Your results will be impacted by numerous factors not limited to your experience, background, discipline, and time you commit to applying it - i make no result-based guarantees whatsoever. You need to be patient and result driven to attain this mark equally you need to start small to grow big especially on your pricing

Please No One should send me private message through nairaland, i wont get it because i dont have access to the mail i used to create the account anymore. if you have any question or request drop it in the comment section and i would see it.

https://softplace.com.ng/other-it-ventures-nigerians-can-try-to-earn-a-living-from/

Thank You
Good evening Lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 5:39pm On May 24, 2020
what do you think

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 5:39pm On May 24, 2020
lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 24, 2020
shocked
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 5:58pm On May 24, 2020
Weedsmoker:
shocked

shocking right

lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:24pm On May 24, 2020
There are advanced complex websites that can't be done for 20k. Most people who do those 20k websites have no ideas about Javascript and it's frameworks. I think people should check front end developers and back end developers job posts to see what they would really be doing on a day to day basis. Anyone can install WordPress and edit a template but not anyone can build a complex web application from the ground up.

Most of what you listed are related to digital marketing. So they could just all fall under digital marketing. There are other lucrative areas in tech like UI and UX design, 3d modelling and animation and project management.

Programming as a field is also very wide. There's more to it than just web and app development. What about game development? It's a totally unexplored niche in Africa and the gaming industry is getting much bigger by the day. What of data science? There's so much in programming. With the advancements of game engines today you can build games without writing a single line of code. Look at that game built by that Chinese programmer with unreal engine without writing a single line of code. It's a triple AAA game called bright memory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:27pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
There are advanced complex websites that can't be done for 20k. Most people who do those 20k websites have no ideas about Javascript and it's frameworks. I think people should check front end developers and back end developers job posts to see what they would really be doing on a day to day basis. Anyone can install WordPress and edit a template but not anyone can build a complex web application from the ground up.

Most of what you listed are related to digital marketing. So they could just all fall under digital marketing. There are other lucrative areas in tech like UI and UX design, 3d modelling and animation and project management.

yes thats true but are nigerian clients patient for you to build a website at that cost and with a large budget, have worked with a lot tell them how complex the website would be they be would be wowed now get down to the price and see them saying someone said he can build this website for me at 40k

someone told me last week he needed a business website with an ecommerce system installed him, gave him my quotation he called me and said he would only pay 100k for a massive project with 2 years for hosting and domain from the same money

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:30pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

yes thats true but are nigerian clients patient for you to build a website at that cost and with a large budget, have worked with a lot tell them how complex the website would be they be would be wowed now get down to the price and see them saying someone said he can build this website for me at 40k
You must not work for Nigerian clients. There's Upwork, Fiverr and if you are very good at your craft there's toptal.
Then aside this platforms, what of remote jobs? What of teaching? Wyzant et al. There's a lot of ways to go about this things without touching Nigerian clients. Nigeria is poverty capital of the world. You can't expect much here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:31pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You must not work for Nigerian clients. There's Upwork, Fiverr and if you are very good at your craft there's toptal.

yh have never used it thou, read the reviews about them and i lost interest thou people have been encouraging me to try them

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by EazyJ(f): 6:33pm On May 24, 2020
These days, the word on most young folks mouth on Nairaland is "I want to learn programming." Yeah! Learning programming is great but most don't know that there are some other fields in IT that doesn't require programming.

1 Like

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:33pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Then aside this platforms, what of remote jobs? What of teaching? Wyzant et al. There's a lot of ways to go about this things without touching Nigerian clients. Nigeria is poverty capital of the world. You can't expect much here.

i even passed cross over first exam, i was called to continue the exam but i lost interest because of my gigs here in nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:34pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

yh have never used it thou, read the reviews about them and i lost interest thou people have been encouraging me to try them
You can even target those Americans directly without even using any of those platforms but it will be expensive. You can run google and Facebook ads targeting those developed countries to get clients. Indians do this all the time but you need a lot of money for ads cause those countries are expensive to target in ads not like here you can get 0.01 dollars a click. There a click fit reach 30 dollars o.

1 Like

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:34pm On May 24, 2020
EazyJ:
These days, the word on most young folks mouth on Nairaland is "I want to learn programming." Yeah! Learning programming is great but most don't know that there are some other fields in IT that doesn't require programming.

hmm this is deep

3 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:34pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

i even passed cross over first exam, i was called to continue the exam but i lost interest because of my gigs here in nigeria
Imagine bros yet the minimum on crossover is 30000 dollars that's like a million a month chei. angry
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:35pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You can even target those Americans directly without even using any of those platforms but it will be expensive. You can run google and Facebook ads targeting those developed countries to get clients. Indians do this all the time but you need a lot of money for ads cause those countries are expensive to target in ads not like here you can get 0.01 dollars a click. There a click fit reach 30 dollars o.

yh i do send cold mails to americans but have not gotten clients from them , the only one that responded said she prefer to work with homebased tech guys , so i felt maybe i should face nigerians then

3 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:38pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

yh i do send cold mails to americans but have not gotten clients from them , the only one that responded said she prefer to work with homebased tech guys , so i felt maybe i should face nigerians then
Use the freelancing platforms first. Gain enough traction and clients there and you won't even suffer to get them. Most of them find it hard to trust people from outside when there's no previous experience with their own people.

Honestly I just regret getting into tech late. If I had proper mentorship, I would have dedicated a year of my life immediately I graduated but better late than never.

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:40pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Imagine bros yet the minimum on crossover is 30000 dollars that's like a million a month chei. angry

bro nigerian clients are too demanding and i have couple of them so i had to face them and forfeit the remaining part of my exam

this was my email remainder to continue my exam after passing that first hard test so it wont look like am lying

1 Like

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:43pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

bro nigerian clients are too demanding and i have couple of them so i had to face them and forfeit the remaining part of my exam

this was my email remainder to continue my exam after passing that first hard test so it wont look like am lying
What was the first hard test on? JavaScript
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:47pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

What was the first hard test on? JavaScript

its actually one test like that analytical thinking and all , i went for customer care representative actually because i felt competition might be too much in programming

every job has its own unique test, i know a friend that passed all test but failed oral test

There is another section where you act like a customer care representative and start answering customer care questions almost like 5 test sha, i got tired

there is a particular software they would recommend you download and study

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:48pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

its actually one test like that analytical thinking and all , i went for customer care representative actually because i felt competition might be too much in programming

every job has its own unique test, i know a friend that passed all test but failed oral test

There is another section where you act like a customer care representative and start answering customer care questions almost like 5 test sha, i got tired

What's the language you use most?
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:49pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Programming as a field is also very wide. There's more to it than just web and app development. What about game development? It's a totally unexplored niche in Africa and the gaming industry is getting much bigger by the day. What of data science? There's so much in programming. With the advancements of game engines today you can build games without writing a single line of code. Look at that game built by that Chinese programmer with unreal engine without writing a single line of code. It's a triple AAA game called bright memory.

tensazangetsu20:

how many nigerians can afford to buy unity bro for game development , like i said this field i listed are more easier the funds gotten from this can be used to train yourself in other fields

lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 6:49pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

What's the language you use most?

java

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:00pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

how many nigerians can afford to buy unity bro for game development , like i said this field i listed are more easier the funds gotten from this can be used to train yourself in other fields

lalasticlala
I forgot embedded systems programming with C and C++.
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 7:02pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I forgot embedded systems programming with C and C++.

my friend works in tech company, he told me they plan to sack them because of covid 19

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:05pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

my friend works in tech company, he told me they plan to sack them because of covid 19
He will easily get another job. No be tek experts dey advertise programming job left, right and center.
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 7:06pm On May 24, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

He will easily get another job. No be tek experts dey advertise programming job left, right and center.

due to covid19 bros believe me most companies are not making profit and they want to cut cost

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:12pm On May 24, 2020
softplace:

due to covid19 bros believe me most companies are not making profit and they want to cut cost

More companies are hiring programmers now sef to automate a lot of stuff. On Upwork, programming has more jobs listed than other sides. The marketing niche went down. Lots of stupid jobs posted there daily.
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by Raustin(m): 8:42pm On May 24, 2020
I learned alot from this thread . Thanks OP. I have questions : I Want to start my journey into tech by learning UI/UX Design. I have no previous experience. Where can I Start from? What design tool should i master first ? How soon Can I Be proficient enough to start earning?
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 8:46pm On May 24, 2020
Raustin:
I learned alot from this thread . Thanks OP. I have questions : I Want to start my journey into tech by learning UI/UX Design. I have no previous experience. Where can I Start from? What design tool should i master first ? How soon Can I Be proficient enough to start earning?

i encourage you start from youtube there are a lot of free tutorials that are taught for hours on youtube

Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 7:51pm On May 25, 2020
lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 27, 2020
softplace:

Can I send you a DM?
Re: Other IT Ventures Nigerians Can Try To Earn A Living From Aside Programming by softplace: 3:07pm On May 27, 2020
chuxyfranklin:

Can I send you a DM?

Please this is my mail
Hello@softplace.com.ng

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Advise Me !! An Art Student Under Pressure To Study Nursing / Stanbic Ibtc Sack / What Will Be My Situation If I Join The Army?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.