Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head (49662 Views)

Akinwumi Adesina Proposes ‘United States Of Nigeria’ / COVID-19 Crisis: Ramaphosa, Johnson-sirleaf Akinwumi Adesina's Steps / Akinwumi Adesina Meets John Connors, American Who Sponsored Him In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by adecz: 10:00pm On May 24, 2020
But this guy Is Trump's man nah! undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Tedpgrass: 10:00pm On May 24, 2020
easyflex:

POINTS OF CORRECTION

1. If the U.S is not happy with the outcome of the decision of the board, they should withdraw their funds if they want to. It's not going to be the end of the world.
Too bad Nigeria has superior veto power compared to the USA in AfDb.

2. Everything is not investigated in the US. Same administration that found way to exonerate convicted criminals, Gen. Michael Flyn, Roger Stone etc just because they are Trump's cronies.

The same Trump administration that fires any Inspector General that seek to investigate it?.

Their hypocrisy on this stinks to high heaven and their agenda won't pass.

Even Libya + Ivory coast has enough vote to overrule US on this.

Hope the Africans come together on this and stave off this unnecessary intrusion..

14 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Obijulius: 10:00pm On May 24, 2020
Thanks for your viewpoint.

Stay safe.
BreconHills:

Absolute rubbish. When has Trump or his administration been right about any appointee? Is Trump not supporting the madman on Ecuador who is supervising thousands of covid deaths or is it the Phillipine President who threatens his opponents with rape, or maybe Putin who Trump grovels grovels before.

Read the report again. A triple A credit rating for the bank and oversubscribed bond issuance are signs of global respect for the Afdb President.

Trump should face the decline in US AI and 5G tech - something he brought on himself through hostile immigration policies. China holds billions in US Treasury certificates and is the largest real estate investor in the US. Trump must learn to live with the new kid on the block the American century is over.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by omonnakoda: 10:02pm On May 24, 2020
Dtribeless:

That might be newsflash in your part of the world, but it's regular in most developed societies. When conflict of interest is possible/likely, independent prosecutors/investigators are chosen to remove all doubt (cue even Trump and Mueller). If Adesina has nothing to hide (and I think he doesn't), then he should let this go ahead. The board of governors still have to act on the report.
My part of the world is ?
You don't know me

It is not up to Adeshina and that is where you reveal your ignorance

He has no input into the process
All Executive directors are placed their by Heads of state or equivalent
You have no understanding of how the Afdb operates otherwise you won't say this.

There is a board .

The board represent THE OWNERS of the bank

The owners decide

In multilateral organizations like the World bank and IMF decisions are always political
If every whistle blower complaint was subject to so called independent inquiries the organisation would be paralysed

The US never calls for such inquiries in organizations where it is in charge.

In this case it does not have enough votes to force this through and that is why it is going public

The question is what is the threshold for such an inquiry?
WHO DECIDES

The AFDB has an Ethics committee populated by Executive Directors appointed by SHAREHOLDERS.
The US was represented on that committeeby one of the complainers Steven Dowd.
That is the ESTABLISHED procedure

Headed by a Japanese guy

All those people represent their country.
So the question of independence is risible.

Independent inquiries are appropriate for civil service bureacraciies. Not multilateral organizations like the IMF AFDB etc
Unless they are in the rules

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Dtribeless: 10:03pm On May 24, 2020
easyflex:

POINTS OF CORRECTION

1. If the U.S is not happy with the outcome of the decision of the board, they should withdraw their funds if they want to. It's not going to be the end of the world.
Too bad Nigeria has superior veto power compared to the USA in AfDb.

2. Everything is not investigated in the US. Same administration that found way to exonerate convicted criminals, Gen. Michael Flyn, Roger Stone etc just because they are Trump's cronies.

The same Trump administration that fires any Inspector General that seek to investigate it?.

Their hypocrisy on this stinks to high heaven and their agenda won't pass.

Even Libya + Ivory coast has enough vote to overrule US on this.

Then Nigeria should veto this request then (you will find out who has more influence). Again, you overnight American lawyers: Flynn, Roger Stone and all Trump's cronies can be pardoned as the US president deems fit. The inspector general, an official of the executive branch, serves at the pleasure of the president and can be fired. All the president needs to do is provide the senate a reason within a stipulated time. Relevant US senators are requesting this and will get it. If Adeshina has nothing to hide, let him allow an outside investigator look into this. Again, only the board of governors can vote him out. They seem on his side so he has no worries.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by gaventa: 10:03pm On May 24, 2020
So many of us are just low life haters! We have chose to discriminate and hate on our own. Any accusation by the colonial masters we end up criticizing our own. How many times have we probed expaitrates in our different parastatals? Do we think we don't try to but their people won't allow such happen . I saw a video of Chinese expatriates in Zambia been accused of treating Zambian workers Inhumanely just because of covid19, they were asked who is more likely to have the virus between Chinese and zambians and he never answered he even refuted that the virus came from China. This is how they stand up for their own but we are so quick to be happy when our kinsmen are goin down maybe as a result of ethnic bigotry or whatever. What a shame. Let's raise our consciousness and emancipatd ourselves from mental slavery. Criticise your brother in private but don't sell him out even if he is at fault

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Mftivi: 10:04pm On May 24, 2020
Africa Development Bank and USA is ordering a probe, folks here didnt disappoint, as usual they cannot read in between the lines and count their teeth with their tongue. People when no know where rain begin beat them.

4 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by EsomahJD: 10:08pm On May 24, 2020
malcomxjr:
If you don’t know what to say keep shut
And who are you to tell me what to say.
If you don't like my comment, simply skip it and don't quote me senselessly.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Nonsoboy4life(m): 10:08pm On May 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Rubbish. This is simply a witch-hunt and nothing else. A comprehensive investigation was already conducted and Adesina was cleared of all the allegations. The US government is simply trying to impose a stooge just to be able to control the ability of the bank to support African countries. The extract in bold clearly exposes their intention. Hopefully, African countries will unite to prevent the attempt to hijack the bank.
There is no witch-hunt here..Adesina just like Tinubu is very corrupt and must be removed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Miracle1991: 10:08pm On May 24, 2020
If to say na children of Jezebel, they for don start to blame Buhari.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by omonnakoda: 10:09pm On May 24, 2020
If they had anything on him he would be toast by now.
They aren't happy he gave a contract to a Russian firm

He is accused of FAVOURITISM which is funny and other actions of incompetence

Incompetence is judged by shareholders not inquiries

The timing of this is calculated to ensure he does not return when his tenure ends in a few weeks.
How can he be reappointed if such an enquiry is going on?

I have no strong investment in Adeshina only to say if he goes let another Nigerian replace him

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by omonnakoda: 10:10pm On May 24, 2020
BEEFIE:

it's done in every part of the world including USA
What is done ?
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by EsomahJD: 10:11pm On May 24, 2020
Na me and you go the same night school na. undecided

Coldie:

Seriously u go school?
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Dpharisee: 10:13pm On May 24, 2020
Dtribeless:

What control, you idiot? They are the largest non-african shareholder; shouldn't they ask how their funds are being disbursed? This clown thinking is the black man's bane -- far too stupid and cynical.

Can't you make your point without being abusive?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by ORIJIN201(m): 10:14pm On May 24, 2020
Dtribeless:

I don't care (that is my opinion). Why should anyone feel insulted about some anonymous person/post online? I don't.
You insulted those guys while passing your opinions. You called one a mad person, and you called another "poverty stricken." It's not worth it. Nothing warrants that.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 24, 2020
"Adesina was accused by a group of unidentified whistleblowers of handing contracts to acquaintances and appointing relatives to strategic positions"

They never fail to disappoint. No matter how you work hard and please a Yoruba man in office, he will ALWAYS favour his fellow yoruba man over you.

That's the reason they Really don't see anything wrong with the nepotism Buhari exhibits everyday.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 24, 2020
YeribanzavsAfon:
[s]E don happen

From Billion Vans

To 60 bank accounts with one BVN

Now to AdB

I wonder Abacha and Yorubas who has out-LOOTED the other.

Let's settle it here click like for Abacha and share for Yorubas.[/s]
Thrash

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by GeorgeTheCoder: 10:17pm On May 24, 2020
Obijulius:
[s]This is going to end well.

When Trump or any of his appointees accuse you of corruption forget it, you are corrupt.

The AFDB was becoming a Chinese lackey and corruption can it be ruled.

Akinwunmi goofed on this one.

We move! No time for jokers!

Let the better man take the office![/s]

You rush to comment and still say rubbish. Not surprising as your intelligence can bbe judged by the fact that you admire Trump

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Dtribeless: 10:19pm On May 24, 2020
omonnakoda:

My part of the world is ?
You don't know me

It is not up to Adeshina and that is where you reveal your ignorance

He has no input into the process
All Executive directors are placed their by Heads of state or equivalent
You have no understanding of how the Afdb operates otherwise you won't say this.

There is a board .

The board represent THE OWNERS of the bank

The owners decide

In multilateral organizations like the World bank and IMF decisions are always political
If every whistle blower complaint was subject to so called independent inquiries the organisation would be paralysed

The US never calls for such inquiries in organizations where it is in charge.

In this case it does not have enough votes to force this through and that is why it is going public

The question is what is the threshold for such an inquiry?
WHO DECIDES

The AFDB has an Ethics committee populated by Executive Directors appointed by SHAREHOLDERS.
The US was represented on that committeeby one of the complainers Steven Dowd.
That is the ESTABLISHED procedure

Headed by a Japanese guy

All those people represent their country.
So the question of independence is risible.

Independent inquiries are appropriate for civil service bureacraciies. Not multilateral organizations like the IMF AFDB etc
Unless they are in the rules

Your part of the world is not where you live; it's Africa, given you're commenting on this blog and your diction. There is also a prosecutor in every justice system, but why are special prosecutors chosen in certain circumstances? Agreed -- multiple investigations can paralyze organizations, but how many of such do you know of against Adeshina? The US is merely "urging", not forcing (this should address your concern about my understanding of the process). Other shareholders can agree with your concerns and refuse. What the US does or does not do is not the issue here, as they pay the piper and cannot be held to the same standard (whether that is fair or not). Again, have you read the report? Please do then circle back. Until you do that, this back and forth has zero value.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by EsomahJD: 10:21pm On May 24, 2020
US knows that Nigerian corrupt leaders swim in nepotism. If they should narrow it down to tribe, then it's a big pointer against Adeshina.

If his hands are clean, he should face the panel with confidence.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by omonnakoda: 10:23pm On May 24, 2020
Dtribeless:

Your part of the world is not where you live; it's Africa, given you're commenting on this blog and your diction. There is also a prosecutor in every justice system, but why are special prosecutors chosen in certain circumstances? Agreed -- multiple investigations can paralyze organizations, but how many of such do you know of against Adeshina? The US is merely "urging", not forcing (this should address your concern about my understanding of the process). Other shareholders can agree with your concerns and refuse. What the US does or does not do is not the issue here, as they pay the piper and cannot be held to the same standard (whether that is fair or not). Again, have you read the report? Please do then circle back. Until you do that, this back and forth has zero value.

I think it is quite stupid to ask if I read the report

have you read my quotes on this thread
Please do. Until then keep quiet

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by kayjay69(m): 10:26pm On May 24, 2020
Spoken like a man with sense.
fallout87:
No one is asking the right questions.

For one the US doesn't care for the most part about African (or foreign) interest unless they want to seize control or put their man in place.

Why is this so important to Munchin? Mind you Munchin is a man who doesn't care about middle class or poor here in the US..... talk much Africans.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by ajailer(m): 10:32pm On May 24, 2020
Mnuchin is a criminal that won't allow Trump's tax return to be exposed now wants to put his dirty nose into an African affair.

No matter whether Adeshina is guilty or not, this is an African affair and outsiders are not needed for poke nosing.

10 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Daum: 10:34pm On May 24, 2020
Nigeria dy Bleep up I swear. It's a shame that the black race doesn't even have any country to stand up for the black skinned human anywhere in the world. If to say Nigeria now better country, we for the summon American ambassador over black lives matter in the US. We for dy get issues with the Indonesian government over black skinned people in Papua new Guinea.

God, just make me and my team President for 3 months
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Dtribeless: 10:35pm On May 24, 2020
omonnakoda:

I think it is quite stupid to ask if I read the report

have you read my quotes on this thread
Please do. Until then keep quiet

What is stupid is you not confirming if you've read the read report. I see no mention of 1 detail in the report. You discuss the procedures of the Ethics committee; is that equal to reading the report. I know you want this back of forth to degenerate into an insult-fest, so I'd ignore you. When you read the report, you'd be more enlightened.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by timay(m): 10:36pm On May 24, 2020
Mftivi:
Africa Development Bank and USA is ordering a probe, folks here didnt disappoint, as usual they cannot read in between the lines and count their teeth with their tongue. People when no know where rain begin beat them.

They know most Africans are dumb. They couldn't find anything on him, so they resort to media, because they know his dumb people will finish the job because they like to worship white people.

Same thing they did to Libya. They couldn't get Gaddafi, they used the media against him and his dumb people fell for it. I'm sure they are. is enjoying their democracy grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by omonnakoda: 10:36pm On May 24, 2020
Dtribeless:

What is stupid is you not confirming if you've read the read report. I see no mention of 1 detail in the report. You discuss the procedures of the Ethics committee; is that equal to reading the report. I know you want this back of forth to degenerate into an insult-fest, so I'd ignore you. When you read the report, you'd be more enlightened.
shut up
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by FuckAllTheMODs: 10:36pm On May 24, 2020
seunmsg:

The board already conducted an independent investigation. The US is simply saying they want him indicted at all cost irrespective of the truth. It won’t happen.

Read that post again bro...

The first one was conducted by a department in AfDB not an independent firm or body.

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Dtribeless: 10:37pm On May 24, 2020
omonnakoda:
shut up

As if that means anything. African man with a black insignificant brain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Orji Kalu Rocks Chukwueze Jersey (Photos) / More Photos From Obasanjo's Meeting With Wike, Peter Obi, Makinde And Others / Anambra Election: 'Vote & Die' - IPOB Members Protest In Onitsha (Video/Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.