Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:58 PM

Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall (32861 Views)

Do I Need Juju To Blow As A Musician? / DOWNLOAD MP3 Simmy – Ubala Ft. Sun-el Musician / Skiibii Dumps 5 Star Music Record Label, To Launch His Own Label With New Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by tesseract: 11:17pm On May 25, 2020
Smh...
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by JessetariahMD(m): 11:17pm On May 25, 2020
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
A rapper Mos def once said
You can't sign me for a hundred dollar and take away my millions
before you sign any deal
Get yourself a competent lawyer
no just go sign only you

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Chimaautomobile: 11:17pm On May 25, 2020
Orces:
Jude okoye and artiste drama go hand in hand nowadays
Ibos..... angry
What happened to ibos
Hummmm
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Olatlaccon(m): 11:18pm On May 25, 2020
what a nice piece...it's business I can't spend and not wanting profit...they live flashy lifestyle but deep down they ain't enjoying shit cos everything is being given to them by the label...I love hearing the complete story before judging....But record label dey make money on dem artists make we no lie....

20 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Shaprara: 11:18pm On May 25, 2020

Alot of record label owners are frauds, they find upcoming artiste, give them a contract with no counsel involved, with heaven and earth promises, they naive ones sign, then the record label owners take them around to take money in from investors, the record label owners cashes out and live the artiste hanging with no promotion, the artiste is left to fend for him or herself.

7 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Bluffly: 11:18pm On May 25, 2020
Simple formula.
Contract focused on profit and instant gratification= Record Label wins and artiste remain at base.

Contract focused on Long term benefits = benefits to all.

A balanced contract is the best. If I'm a record label, I will give a contract that can make the artist average earners but they won't be able to sign with another record label anywhere in the world or stay on their own for at least 10 years. I can't make them comfortable and then they run away. It must be all encompassing

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by lomprico(m): 11:19pm On May 25, 2020
Orces:
Jude okoye and artiste drama go hand in hand nowadays
Ibos..... angry

banky n wizkid nko? yolobas

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by BanjiRaymond(m): 11:19pm On May 25, 2020
abobote:
While music label have a major role to play in packaging and marketing an artist, if you are good, nothing can bring you down, not even the force of gravity
This country has brought a lot of people down, so many wasted talents. what you wrote here is for other countries, not Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 25, 2020
Hmn true talk.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Beverlyjean(f): 11:22pm On May 25, 2020
dominique:
I agree to an extent. The labels have a bit of part to play in an artist's downward spiral

Those record labels spend millions to package an artist and want to recoup their investments in multifolds shortchanging the artists in the process. The artists seeing how much is being made off them will want to break free and make money on their own. It's only after they go solo that they realize that performing and promoting are different ball games. After some time, they start to decline. If only the record labels can make these contract more lucrative, maybe the artists won't have to quit on them before their contract expires

Investing in an artiste is a huge risk...the artiste could b a one hit wonder, so they try to recoup their money on time incase the artiste fades faster that a shadow nearing nightfall

31 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by styless(f): 11:26pm On May 25, 2020
TrUE

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by horlarwereleh(m): 11:27pm On May 25, 2020
dominique:
I agree to an extent. The labels have a bit of part to play in an artist's downward spiral

Those record labels spend millions to package an artist and want to recoup their investments in multifolds shortchanging the artists in the process. The artists seeing how much is being made off them will want to break free and make money on their own. It's only after they go solo that they realize that performing and promoting are different ball games. After some time, they start to decline. If only the record labels can make these contract more lucrative, maybe the artists won't have to quit on them before their contract expires

This is it

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by BiafranBushBoy: 11:29pm On May 25, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
before you sign any deal
no just go sign only you

Lol...

It goes to just MTN.

Nobody except MTN, Glo, airtel, makes money from your mb.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by futurerex: 11:29pm On May 25, 2020
EmzyT:
Na all these things I wan come dey read? Abegi sad
Reading it will cost you nothing. Remember, ignorance is not an excuse. Why not read and get enlighten.

20 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by ugbanante: 11:30pm On May 25, 2020
Nice piece. If u can not keep with the terms of contract in showbusiness, just sing for your own pleasure anyway.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by stalwart123(m): 11:31pm On May 25, 2020
They should go and learn from Fiokee, the guitar man.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by JessetariahMD(m): 11:32pm On May 25, 2020
BiafranBushBoy:

Lol...

It goes to just MTN.

Nobody except MTN, Glo, airtel, makes money from your mb.
My man no vex o
enlighten me o
so all this movie sites and uhmm music site
are you telling me they don't make money from downloads?
I mean the directors of the movies and the labels
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by jahdoo360(m): 11:32pm On May 25, 2020
The best way to survive in that industry is to allow the record label to promote you to stardom and then own your own record label. That way you win on both sides, provided you are a talented artiste.

6 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by EmzyT: 11:33pm On May 25, 2020
futurerex:
Reading it will cost you nothing. Remember, ignorance is not an excuse. Why not read and get enlighten.

I cannot can tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by futurerex: 11:33pm On May 25, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
I disagree abeg
before you sign any deal
no just go sign only you
Na the record label the sale the MB to you

18 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by DarkJeddi(m): 11:35pm On May 25, 2020
abobote:
While music label have a major role to play in packaging and marketing an artist, if you are good, nothing can bring you down, not even the force of gravity
Leave matter,many that are good are singing in the market square.. grin

18 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 25, 2020
Paid write up

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Slynation(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:
if I was an artiste, I would rather go for a bread label than go for Jude Okoye's label.
Lol.. . Unfortunately if you were an artist, record labels will come for you and not you going to them...

8 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by brainfordetails: 11:38pm On May 25, 2020
This is insightful.

8 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Studio247: 11:38pm On May 25, 2020
Every right thinking Music artist Will hustle well and hire the services of a good manager instead of being tie to a record label that will try to destroy you when your contract is over .

Look carefully, how many Music Artists in Nigeria who left their record label are still doing well in the industry? Most of them are struggling with their careers, some we don't even hear of them again.

When I see some upcoming Artist hustling a record label up and down I laugh at them.

Bros ask your senior colleagues sure they have gist for you.

Record labels agreement in NIGERIA is CAPITAL slavery monkey dey work bamboo dey chop.

Record label will make you and break you mostly when your contract is over and you don't have a peaceful separation.

When they start blocking your shows you will know that you just entered one chance.

Cynthia Morgan may have have own short comings
But Nigerian contract are not always flexible.

Have you thought of why why Nigerian artist don't like renewing their contracts ?

Cos the contract is to rigid
Ojoro too much.

May God give every Music artist money to fund his music that way no one will be a slave to the other.

3 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Abagworo(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2020
No Artiste alive who invests in himself without the backing of the Record Label has ever made money or profit except foolish fame and we all know fame alone does not pay the bills.

Read about the rapper Tech N9ne or more recently Chance The Rapper.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by julybaba(m): 11:39pm On May 25, 2020
Hmmm

Do you really need to "give" me a life I don't measure up to in the name of "promotion"?

How do you expect to recuperate all the money spent on an artiste before the career ends (probably in 5 years time)?

Do you want the artiste to keep servicing contract debts after his/her career has ended?

Sometimes you'll think you are offering help to someone, but instead you are creating bigger problem for them.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Vitamin17(m): 11:39pm On May 25, 2020
angry

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by mordred44: 11:40pm On May 25, 2020
So mayD also sign to sleep on tv carton....abeg make nobody quote me na question i ask

3 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by fabuloz1(m): 11:42pm On May 25, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Leave matter,many that are good are singing in the market square.. grin
grin

4 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by sureteeboy(m): 11:45pm On May 25, 2020
JessetariahMD:

My man no vex o
enlighten me o
so all this movie sites and uhmm music site
are you telling me they don't make money from downloads?
I mean the directors of the movies and the labels
Not a kobo. The only way record labels can make any money from your a song is if you actually paid before you can download that song. If you check music platforms like iTunes, Deezer, you get to pay for those songs, regardless of the mb you're still going to spend on downloading the songs.
But if you're visiting these free websites, the only set of people making money from your downloads is the network providers you bought mb from

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Stephie3000: 11:45pm On May 25, 2020
https://www.doingbusinessafrica.com/post/dj-black-coffee-music-s-hooks-up-with-gallo-and-africa-s-biggest-media-company

FlightMode Digital, the investment holding company owned by acclaimed International DJ Black Coffee, has concluded a deal acquiring a significant stake in Gallo Music Investments (GMI), from Lebashe Investment Group for an undisclosed amount.

GMI, South Africa’s largest and oldest independent music label, was purchased by Lebashe from Tiso Blackstar for R75-million in March this year. GMI was incorporated into news and entertainment business Arena Holdings, which is 100% owned by Lebashe Investment Group.

While Lebashe Chairman Tshepo Mahloele believes the investment in GMI significantly enhances Arena’s entertainment offering to its consumers, the transaction with FlightMode will add tangible value and attract diversified audiences to its platform.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Osinachi Nwachkwu Song Played To Evangelise In UK While Being Buried. Video. / What Rick Ross’ “hold Me Back” Video Tells The World About Nigerians / Fela Kuti: 15 Year Anniversary: Your Favourite Fela Lyrics And Quotes Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.