Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,832 members, 7,806,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster (1210 Views)

Scammers On Online Car Market / Vacancy For An Online Car Curator / Online Car Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by Gkemz: 11:37pm On May 25, 2020
Before you buy a car or anything advertised on the social media platforms like jiji, olx, cheki, Facebook, Nairaland, etc always ensure to observe meticulously all the safety measures so that you don't lose your cash to a fraudster. It can even land you into a bigger trouble apart from losing your money. It's even better to buy a faulty car from the right owner than to fall a victim to fraudsters who deal on stolen cars. Please allow me share my recent experience so that others will learn from it.
For a while I've been searching for a bus to purchase for commercial purposes.
I saw this fairly used bus that was posted on jiji for sale, and negotiated with the seller who claimed to be the owner of the bus. A week after the negotiation, I called to inform the seller that I would be coming with my mechanic from the neigbouring state on Saturday (last week) to inspect the bus and thereafter proceed with the payment if the bus is confirmed to be okay by my mechanic. Meanwhile he claimed that the bus is frequently being used by his driver for transportation which was why I called him 2days to the appointed day of inspection to ensure the bus is made available on that day. He gave me assurance that the bus is safely packed inside his premises awaiting the arrival of it's new owner.
On Saturday morning, I set out with my mechanic to the address the seller gave me through a phone call. When we got there, neither he nor the bus was on sight as they were nowhere to be seen. I called him to inform him that we have arrived the location. After about 10 minutes he surfaced without the bus. I demanded for the whereabout of the bus. This time he told me that the bus is packed at a mechanic workshop because the fuel pump is being changed. We took a cab to the mechanic workshop to ascertain the situation of the vehicle. When we got to the workshop, what we saw was unappealing to the eyes. We made the following fundings;

1. The vehicle has been packed in the mechanic workshop for too long by looking at the tyre and the greaze oil that was designed all over the body. When asked, the seller insisted he just brought the vehicle to the workshop that morning, which made the seller a bloody liar caught red handed.

2. The vehicle he claimed belonged to him was not his. When we demanded for the vehicle's key and the necessary documents, he placed a call to person he calls the owner. I asked him if he's not the one I've been speaking with on the phone. However he denied speaking with me rather that it was his brother who has the same voice with him. I asked him how he got to know about all the things I discussed on the phone with the so-called brother and by the way why was he holding his brothers phone. Even though his stories and claims didn't add up, I proceeded to see the end of it. Since he couldn't provide a valid answer to that question, I didn't bother to wait any further for the owner to arrive since the seller has proven not to be reliable, trustworthy and straightforward. I told him that we'd be back shortly after my mechanic cautioned me that the vehicle is not legit. I told him to wait for us while we left. That was how the deal ended but the scammer till today has been calling expecting my return.

3 Likes

Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by chatinent: 11:44pm On May 25, 2020
Alaye just needs money.
Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by Gkemz: 11:47pm On May 25, 2020
chatinent:
Alaye just needs money.
My street sense didn't allow him succeed.
Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by Tillatalk: 1:58am On May 26, 2020
You are lucky your street sense saved you
Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by TPound(m): 2:38am On May 26, 2020
Gkemz:

My street sense didn't allow him succeed.

Do you still need the bus?
Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by Gkemz: 1:14am On May 27, 2020
TPound:

Do you still need the bus?
Yes but location matters
Re: My Encounter With An Online Car Fraudster by TPound(m): 2:20am On May 27, 2020
Gkemz:

Yes but location matters

Can you chat me up on Whatsapp through the number in my signature?

(1) (Reply)

Need Bolt/taxify/indriver Driver / Toyota Corolla 04 For Sale / Noise From Front Wheels Of My 2007 Highlander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.