Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,977 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt (38583 Views)

Home Schooling The Way To Go: Private Schools Now Charging Exorbitantly / Don’t Reopen Schools Now - Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President Urges FG / Why Lagos Can’t Reopen Schools Now – Sanwo-olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by 2mercy: 3:13pm On May 28, 2020
By Deborah Akpede

Some parents in Lagos State have kicked against reopening of schools in view of the continued spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

The parents who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in separate interviews agree that it was important for the federal and state governments to continue to safeguard children from the pandemic.

NAN reported that the Federal Government on Wednesday said that it was considering reopening of schools based on morning and afternoon shifts method.

The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, made the disclosure in Abuja during a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

A civil servant, Mrs Ayobami Ojo, who resides in Ikotun, urged the government to allow children to remain at home until containment of the pandemic.

“There is no need of considering any morning and evening classes for now; let the children continue to stay safe at home as the virus is increasing everyday.

“Children will naturally not be as cautious as adults; schools cannot be compared to markets.

“Reopening of schools should be considered when confirmed cases drop very well,” Ojo said.

Also, a businesswoman, Mrs Abiodun Aina, living at Ayobo, said that children’s lives could be jeopardised by hasty school resumption.

“It is difficult to control adults, let alone children, we should not risk the lives of children.

“A two-shift option for classes may not stop the spread of the virus.

“It is better for them to remain at home until COVID -19 subsides or vaccination is found.

“Nigerians should stop putting pressure on government to reopen schools. Why are we in a rush? We need to be patient,” Aina said.

A businessman, Mr Kayode Jacob, who resides at Iyana-Ipaja, said that governments should not consider reopening primary schools at the moment.

According to him, doing so at the moment would be dangerous.

“University and secondary schools students can be cautioned.

“They can observe social distancing and other precautions, but these will be difficult for nursery and primary school pupils.

“The lives of our children should be paramount because they are the leaders of tomorrow,” Jacob said. (NAN)

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2020/05/28/dont-reopen-schools-now-lagos-parents-tell-govt/

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Yungmil: 3:15pm On May 28, 2020
pls don't open school is very dangerous, more especially nursery, primary and secondary schools. These set of people can hardly take care of themselves.

FTC AGAIN WITH MTN DAILY FREE MB. don't mind me its MTN doing dat is doing it.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Jokerman(m): 3:17pm On May 28, 2020
Selfish parents.... If they open schools, you can't ask your children to stay home... No be force... Allow other parents

76 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by ojun50(m): 3:21pm On May 28, 2020
Any tin wey sweet government make them do,
About 5million teachers out job
Npower 500,000 we join the labor market soon

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 28, 2020
Times are hard. At least, they love to taste of the school feeding programme as well.
That's if it ever gets to them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Goldenheart(m): 3:41pm On May 28, 2020
angry

School closed when cases were less than 10..
School opens when cases are almost at 10k...

All these copy copy will end in tears.. cry

164 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Sacchi1162(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Open the schools. If you don't want your kid to go, they should stay at home. Some people are actually earning from the schools too. It's not compulsory and moreover some parents want their kids to go to school sef

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Emax911: 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
no problem...ur children head is turning to block..

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by SenatorBright(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
My friend who is a private school teacher has convert to a per term sales boy. If this government could allow crowded markets to function as well as transportation system, then why will they shut down school. For heaven sake we are almost approaching June. Many schools didn't complete the work of the last term and will have a hectic 3rd term to put things together.
WAEC and NECO and other government examination are not left behind.

It is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind that Coronavirus case in Nigeria is scam. Why do we keep children at home for no genuine reason??

Apostle must hear this.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by ABLESOFT2(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
I Dnt Tink Opening Of School Both SEC And UNI Is A Good Idea...
If We Are To Check Doz Public Skul's Dat Do Av Almost 60 student In A Class.
Can We Just Try 2 Imagine If One Of Doz Student Has Dat Sickness(covid-19)..
Dier Knw Way Dey Won't Touch Or Speak To Dat Peson.
Let Just Stay Home 4 Nw..Until We Are Sure We Can Deal With Da Virus.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by barrypro: 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Re-opening schools is not the best option for now

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Lincoln275(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Hmmm! Orisirisi, as if Govt send them
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by jigbijigbi101: 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Pointless...
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Orces: 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Abeg make them open school make I quick reconnect with my bitches when dey miss me

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by martineverest(m): 3:42pm On May 28, 2020
Hinopion:
Open joor. We need salary
such a selfish thinking

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Staphylococcus: 3:43pm On May 28, 2020
Jokerman:
Selfish parents.... If they open schools, you can't ask your children to stay home... No be force... Allow other parents

Am certain you a Bachelor.

If you had kids, you wont have that sense of judgement.

If you had a loved one, even if school resumes in times like this, You wont risk it.

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Oxtertee(m): 3:43pm On May 28, 2020
It's well
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by AFULA(m): 3:43pm On May 28, 2020
Nothing concern me... Provided NYSC...no go stop payment before my POP..

9 Likes

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by alsudaes1(m): 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
Jokerman:
Some people have been going to the market and mingling yet find it difficult to go to work. How long can we keep the country on lockdown should be the question posed to such people because I don't see any hope in sight for a total clearance of the virus from Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Wiseandtrue(f): 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
2mercy:

NAN reported that the Federal Government on Wednesday said that it was considering reopening of schools based on morning and afternoon shifts method.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2020/05/28/dont-reopen-schools-now-lagos-parents-tell-govt/

The private school is good to go!!!

The only problem I see here is the public schools

But with this plan above, it should work!!!

Modified
omotola224:
Private schools are immune to the virus, I don't understand your comment
Private schools can manage pupils well, remember the time of Ebola

Public schools is largely populated however with this morning/afternoon section, it might work!!!

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Emekuslala1: 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
Staphylococcus:

Am certain you a Bachelor.

If you had kids, you wont have that sense of judgement.

If you had a loved one, even if school resumes in times like this, You wont risk it.
Next time use "I'm or i-am". Stop disgracing yourself on a public forum, ewu!. undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by victordaimond: 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
2mercy:

Ok oo,Anyone dey like dey should do,me Sha know sey I'm gonna be great in dis life and d rest to come...who schools help?...I gotta make it !
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by tophumble(m): 3:45pm On May 28, 2020
O serious
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 28, 2020
They keep saying don't open schools. For what exactly? Is it to prevent the children from being exposed? Mind you, other sectors have been opened and the same parents kicking against the reopening of schools expose themselves to crowded markets, offices (especially banks) and still come back home to the same wards they are trying to protect. What sense is there in all that. It only takes one exposed person to infect thousands of contacts if we are to go by the epileptic policy and if this disease is still really that "widespread". Take the case of a father who infected his entire family some months ago. Did the children go to any school?

Please let the educational sector also be opened. Covid 19 has reduced to the bearest minimum and with the right precautionary measures in place, there won't be any rebound of the pandemic.

The teachers are the worst hit of this lockdown with no form of support or relief from the govt. If we all decide to change career and quit teaching for good, then will people understand our importance and the need to put us into consideration first before any other profession.

We are the medium to civilization. Without us, the world future will be bleak and Ignorance will be the order of the day.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Finnese001: 3:45pm On May 28, 2020
okay
Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by babaRUNtinz(m): 3:45pm On May 28, 2020
make dem open LASU o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt by Bsure: 3:45pm On May 28, 2020
Pls don't open schools...

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Getting A Diploma At 'French Village' In Badagry? / University Of Abuja Admission List: / FUNAAB Expels Michael Adewale Ifemosu For Writing Open Letter To VC On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.