Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Why 2go Messenger Died - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why 2go Messenger Died (566 Views)

Family Releases Burial Rites For Wigwe, Wife, Son Who Died In Air Crash / CCTV At Obi Cubana's Hustle & Bustle Shows How A Female Clubber Died (Video) / If Only 2go Had Given This A Thought! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 2go Messenger Died by jukekeocha: 4:59pm On May 28, 2020
2go was bigger than Facebook in Nigeria with over 12 million users from Nigeria while Facebook had 6.5 Million users in 2012 - Apps africa

It was the hottest app, everyone was using it, if you were not on 2go you were not a cool kid, I got my first feature phone (java phone) around 2008, and was instantly addicted to the app.

The funny part was I didn't even create a new account, I bought a used phone, when I opened the 2go app, I found the previous owners account and just started using it. Looking at the craze that surrounded the 2go app back then, it could have been the first African owned successful social network, well. It was for five years, but after that it became a child's app

Everyone says WhatsApp killed 2go, what they don't know is that...........................................
Continue reading Why 2go messenger died
Re: Why 2go Messenger Died by ademasta(m): 5:03pm On May 28, 2020
E die because WhatsApp came
Re: Why 2go Messenger Died by benjanjo1: 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
jukekeocha:
2go was bigger than Facebook in Nigeria with over 12 million users from Nigeria while Facebook had 6.5 Million users in 2012 - Apps africa

It was the hottest app, everyone was using it, if you were not on 2go you were not a cool kid, I got my first feature phone (java phone) around 2008, and was instantly addicted to the app.

The funny part was I didn't even create a new account, I bought a used phone, when I opened the 2go app, I found the previous owners account and just started using it. Looking at the craze that surrounded the 2go app back then, it could have been the first African owned successful social network, well. It was for five years, but after that it became a child's app

Everyone says WhatsApp killed 2go, what they don't know is that...........................................
Continue reading Why 2go messenger died

Everyone says WhatsApp killed 2go, what they don't know is that WhatsApp actually launched two years after 2go launched, and 2go reigned three more years while WhatsApp watched . WhatsApp only became the goto app in Africa after Android became popular in Africa, 2go failed to evolve, they just ported their featured phone (java phone) app into an Android shell and launched

2go then they failed to include media, WhatsApp allowed people to share photos, allowed people to create groups for free unlike 2go rooms which you have no control over and you still have to buy gocredit to access

It took a while, but then everyone made a switch

The thing about social networking is we need each other for a community to thrive, if all my friends are on WhatsApp I got to be on WhatsApp to connect with them, when I log into 2go and find nobody I'll leave, check them out on WhatsApp, after a while I stopped checking 2go, after a while I uninstalled the app

This is the same reason Telegram is not the default messaging app in Africa, people are used to WhatsApp, all our friends and family are on WhatsApp, bro you've got to give us free internet access for us to switch over, no kidding.

2go refused to pivot also, WhatsApp now has status, because without that people won't access the app unless they have messages, they want to keep you engaged, they want to give you a reason to open the app even when you haven't received a message notification. If only 2go had added a user feed, or a media status like that of WhatsApp, maybe it would have been a different story.

Would have made me feel good that my brothers from SA made a really popular social app.

Today all of Africa's social spaces are controlled by the western world, they know everything about us, even more than our government does. Yes, Facebook knows where you are now, your government doesn't even know where you currently live, they have no recent photo of you.

2go is that great fallen Iroko tree.
Re: Why 2go Messenger Died by iCauseTrouble: 5:07pm On May 28, 2020
I miss those days of 2go. Made meaningful friends though grin

1 Like

Re: Why 2go Messenger Died by Coder2Client(m): 5:11pm On May 28, 2020
well, I can't say it's dead but users reduced drastically. I still used it till 2018 when I realized kids have dominated the platform.

1 Like

Re: Why 2go Messenger Died by Emmanuel555(m): 5:37pm On May 28, 2020
2go is now a memory

(1) (Reply)

10 Businesses You Can Start With Just 20k In This Present Situations / Ajimobi Predicted His Death At 70 / Daily Income Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.