Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:02 PM

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (23990 Views)

Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Jim Agbaje Tells CNN Why He Wants To Govern Africa's Most Populous City, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nonsoboy4life(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2020
Juliusmalema:
The list is logical and okay...

All are in order except Ijaws. Ijaws are not more than 3.65 million.
I concur.. actual ijaws are small except if they added other ethnic minorities in Delta... Ibibio is even larger than ijaw

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Please stop giving me brain dead comments and go through our conversation to see enough evidence based on Newspaper publications cheesy

I don't post links again to what I have researched and known over the years...It is a stupidity taken to far to be repeating myself all the time...

your arguments are always littered with petty logics and rarely sound. Infact timidly irrational to sound minds.

Always trajectory even at that with illogical juxtaposition....who does that again?

No connect to every link of submission even the least validation...No
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 10:07pm On May 28, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
funny request..

Can u bring a reference to show actual populations of your group in your own very country Nigeria?

I encounter lots of Igbo traders in port novo ..far more than any other Nigerians there.. If u have ever visited benin,u can attest too

Port novo is indigenous to two groups.

Yorubas and the other group.
Cutonu, I cannot say, but port novo is indigenous to two tribes, which Yoruba is part of it

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
funny request..

Can u bring a reference to show actual populations of your group in your own very country Nigeria?

I encounter lots of Igbo traders in port novo ..far more than any other Nigerians there.. If u have ever visited benin,u can attest too
You mean Port Novo that is actually a Yoruba town cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Salewa97: 10:09pm On May 28, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
funny request..

So Igbos are more than Yorubas in Benin where the Benin government themselves recognized Yoruba as an ethnic group with an official population of 12% of the total population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin

So we shouldn't believe the Benin government but we should believe you because you said you saw Igbo traders in Benin?

You will do well with a career in comedy!

12 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by senatordave1(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2020
Michael004:
[s][/s]Trash list.

Magrebes is the most populous tribe. Where did your Hausa get 78million. Where ijaw get 15million, who dash igbo 44million. Igbo is 34 million in population why Hausa and Yoruba are 43 and 40 million respectively.

I think I will align with you largely.Hausa 45 million,Yoruba 42 million,oromos and igbos 33 mil.we have kikuyus 30 mil

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Offpoint: 10:10pm On May 28, 2020
Sammy07:

That means, you guys agreed that you're the one that voted Fulanis into power since 1960. cheesy

Anyways, let's not go offpoint.
Be careful with my name
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 10:10pm On May 28, 2020
Juliusmalema:

I don't post links again to what I have researched and known over the years...It is a stupidity taken to far to be repeating myself all the time...

your arguments are always littered with petty logics and rarely sound. Infact timidly irrational to sound minds.

Always trajectory even at that with illogical juxtaposition....who does that again?

No connect to every link of submission even the least validation...No
Bruv

Stop being silly and use the internet for once to learn

Trolling is not going to add anything to you

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by senatordave1(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Na this night u edit this particular Wikipedia..Lol

From good source

The Hausa language is the second most spoken indigenous language with 120 million speakers.
Those who speak the language can be found in Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Benin, Cameroon, Togo, Central African Republic, Ghana, Sudan, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Senegal, and The Gambia.

Yorubas number 3 position is in order.

Yorubas outnumber igbos

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Living in Denial is not a good way to live your life

Oku people are also referred to as Aku Muhammadian grin

That's not Sierra Leone Wikipedia page.

There is note on any Aku in Sierra Leone Wikipedia page. Check it out :https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Sierra_Leone

Meanwhile, Sierra Leone first president, was an Okoro.
Check him out:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Okoro_Cole

An Igbo president of Liberia too :https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_James_Roye

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 10:11pm On May 28, 2020
pazienza:

Actually there is.

All ethnic census conducted by British have always put Igbos more than Yorubas.

1921, 1931, 1952 census all had Igbos more than Yorubas

https://www.nairaland.com/5875972/1952-nigeria-ethnicity-census-resu
You keep believing in your own lies.

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 10:11pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You mean Port Novo that is actually a Yoruba town cheesy

You know their problem?
If they see some Igbos doing business anywhere outside Igbo land, they'll assume that Igbos are many and populous.

They even claim Igbos are the largest group after the indigenous in any state in Nigeria. grin

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Mightyhaiz: 10:12pm On May 28, 2020
Salewa97:

So Igbos are more than Yorubas in Benin where the Benin government themselves recognized Yoruba as an ethnic group with an official population of 12% of the total population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin

So we shouldn't believe the Benin government but we should believe you because you said you saw Igbo traders in Benin?

You will do well with a career in comedy!
well perhaps there are actually audio Yorubas as earlier insinuated after all.. Cos they are barely visible or maybe they dress and speak like Igbo's grin

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 28, 2020
Bendeco2020:

Another tribal illiterate dictated

let me tell you the truth, most countries outside Africa don't know about any other tribe in Nigeria apart from Igbo.

If u travel to any nation the first question their citizen will ask u when you tell them that u're from Nigeria is "Are you Igbo?"

Most foreigners have not come across Yoruba man. They are only aware of Igbos.

This is crack.shit. I live overseas, I know the exact scenarios that you are alluding to. This is only the case because Igbos are loud and are usually seen as clowns.

Now when they get overseas they beat their chest and call themselves Igbos and complain about Nigeria and tell foreigners how much they hate Nigeria. They tell foreigners Igbos are the only good tribe in Nigeria and Igbos are the good looking fair skinned tribe in Nigeria. Also ibo is much easier for these foreigners to pronounce, this has nothing whatsoever to do with population.

As an Ijaw descendant who identifies as Yoruba by culture, the women in these countries always mistake me for igbo, when I ask them why, they say oh because you are good looking and not as dark as a typical African so you must be ibo, I ask them who told you this, and they always say an ibo person told them, then I have to set them straight. Ibo people spread their lies and propaganda everywhere. BEWARE!

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 10:15pm On May 28, 2020
pazienza:

That's not Sierra Leone Wikipedia page.
There is note on any Aku in Sierra Leone Wikipedia page. Check it out :

Meanwhile, Sierra Leone first president, was an Okoro. Check him out:
An Igbo president of Liberia too :
Ogbeni stop lying
There is no Ethnic groups on Sierra Leone page
And The first president of Sierra Leone never identified as an igbo man

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by AhoadaRivers: 10:15pm On May 28, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
they are clowns. They think population is an achievement even if it's a fake figure.

Their entire region is like one south west state (Oyo).

Jukunland is bigger than SE which is just a part of Iboland but Jukuns are still a tiny minority far below Ibo population.

I've always told you yoruba numbskulls that geographical land size is not equal or correlative to population size.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by engrchykae(m): 10:15pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
So Yorubas are not found in anywhere else but Nigeria?
ask Google
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by yommen: 10:16pm On May 28, 2020
Easternsun2020:

The way you counter them is hot and commendable. Bravo!

It confirms his inferiority complex, always wants to play the catch up game. But why are ibos always making so much noise from behind na?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Salewa97: 10:16pm On May 28, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
well perhaps there are actually audio Yorubas as earlier insinuated after all.. Cos there are barely visible grin

This one don't know that the major Ethnic group in Porto-Novo are the Yorubas and the Gun people. Infact Porto-Novo name was originally Ajashe a Yoruba word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto-Novo

They use lie swear for you guys?

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 10:17pm On May 28, 2020
Offpoint:

Be careful with my name

Sorry brother offpoint, I told the guy make we no go offpoint, I don't like going offpoint in any discussion.

Going offpoint, will make us derailed the thread which will not be good for us.
Sorry, bro offpoint, I'll make sure never to go offpoint again.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:17pm On May 28, 2020
Large ethnic Igbo populations are found in Cameroon Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, as well as outside Africa.

There are large Igbo communities in Southern cameroon

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 10:18pm On May 28, 2020
Sammy07:

You know their problem?
If they see some Igbos doing business anywhere outside Igbo land, they'll assume that Igbos are many and populous.

They even claim Igbos are the largest group after the indigenous in any state in Nigeria. grin
Ajase Aka Port Novo is a pure Yoruba town before even Egun people came into the town.

They think we don't know our history.

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bruv

Stop being silly and use the internet for once to learn

Trolling is not going to add anything to you

People can be radically funny but can't prove any point. Internet screenshot is not a point but an outright trash that can be disposed and junked at will ...

It Marvel's me on how someone who couldn't use internet few months back here will be advising a sagacious juggernaut on how to use internet....Don't stress your illogicality too far.

The point remains that you have not proven any single point and has not given sound feed back to any questions.

So you now prove a case by screenshot of media reportage?

This is Hilarious indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 10:20pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Ogbeni stop lying

There is no Ethnic groups on Sierra Leone page

And The first president of Sierra Leone never identified as an igbo man

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Sierra_Leone

He is Krio. All slaves in Sierra Leone, including the Ibos and the Akus, condensed into single ethnic group called Krio (Creole).

So he was Krio. But looking at his name, you can tell what part of Krio he came from.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Ajase Aka Port Novo is a pure Yoruba town before even Egun people came into the town.

They think we don't know our history.

Are you minding them grin

They thought they're the only one that travelled grin

I bet, the Igbos he saw in port novo ain't up to 1,000 cool

Pls, stop quoting and replying that Julius or whatever his name his.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Salewa97: 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
well perhaps there are actually audio Yorubas as earlier insinuated after all.. Cos they are barely visible or maybe they dress and speak like Igbo's just to get patronage grin

Below is the official CIA figure on Benin and the Yorubas are listed as the Ethnic group in Benin.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bn.html

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by yommen: 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
My man stop talking nonsense

Even when people were evacuated from South Africa recently, we saw a great deal of Yorubas coming home, who would have thought considering the numbers of igbos in South Africa

Yorubas don't often travel to other places in Nigeria as much as igbos often do, but when it comes to travelling out of this country, Yorubas would give anyone a run for their money.

Olodo can't even spell illiterates properly. cheesy

And You are the illiterate pulling dumb stats straight from your harse

Of course SW Nigeria is where most others within Nigeria are coming to. The dream of an average Ibo man living in SE is SW why we dream to travel out of the country. Why should I go to Anambra when Anabrarians see even Ogun State as London?

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
proeast:

The list is correct except the Ijaw part. There is no way they can be anywhere near 15 million.
Dummy, so you believe Hausa is 78million.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
Arabic then Swahili Hausa is probability number 3,while Yoruba 4,5 or 6
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 10:23pm On May 28, 2020
Michael004:
Dummy, so you believe Hausa is 78million.

Don't mind them, they believe the list is correct but disagree with Ijaws being 15m.

Yet they don't wanna accept that Igbo figures are doctored cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by AhoadaRivers: 10:25pm On May 28, 2020
TheGodlessGod:
I understand you want to see your ethnic group as the best but you don't have to be deluded and making rubbish claims.

Yoruba tradition (ifa and orisha) are widely celebrated in Americas (north and southern Americans) and some of them trace their origin to yoruba people in Nigeria.

Igbos are into trade that's why they are loud, when xenophobia was happening last year and nigerians there was returning home people thought igbos would be like 90% of the population there but everyone was shocked seeing even more people coming home are from South West.

But if you reach south Africa they mostly knows igbos, been loud doesn't make you populated.

Business Post Nigeria
Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture | Business Post ...

Shut your dirty mouth, If we add the Igbo DNA carriers in the carribeans and south America. The Igbo population will dust yoruba population by several millions.

You want to pretend that most African Americans are not of Igbo heritage, you want us to fill this thread with pictures of AAs rediscovering their Ibo roots? Most Jamaicans are of Igbo descent, the Jonkunu yam festival in Jamaica and Carribeans stems from the Igbo culture, do yorubas celebrate yam festival?
The word 'Unu' in Jamaican patois and Carribean pidgin is an Igbo word derivative. The first black president of Haiti was a former slave of Igbo descent.

So if you yorubas want to go that lane, be our guest, as we all know that if we factor in Igbo-descendant population in the Americas and Caribs and add it to the local population and in diaspora, 200 million will be a conservative figure for Igbo global population count.

15 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Fresh Supremacy Battle In APC / Buhari May Keep Petroleum Portfolio For Himself - Olusegun Adeniyi / This Government Is A Government Of Sadists - FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.