Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,136 members, 7,807,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections (25196 Views)

Donald Trump Signs On A Woman's Chest During Campaign Visit In Iowa (Pics) / Biden Calls For LGBTQ Protections In Day 1 Executive Order / Biden To Sign Executive Order To Join Paris Club & Rescind Travel Ban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by BENEAMATA: 9:48am On May 30, 2020
ProfDview1:

Even though I don't understand ur sentence, so u want mynd.44 Domini.que to loose their jobs abi.. U Want to make them jobless abi

Sorry pls explain wat u wrote again, personally I don't really understand.. Plsss
put simply , the disclaimer notice in summary informs all nairaland posters that they are , and will be held responsible for whaever they post . so why should moderators need to take actions concerning some errant comment ?
example ; i post a comment saying the head of state , general idi amin dada is a cannibal , by the explanation given by the person you quoted , the moderators job of censoring such post wouldn't be necessary because i will be solely answerable to litigations if a defamation suit comes up .of course such laws will mean membership of these sites ( nland , twitter , facebook et al ) will require more vital info 'fore you can join .
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Golan007: 9:51am On May 30, 2020
hotwax:

So what did trump do? He should keep quiet so looters loot and burn to appease you people?

Is looting the right way to morn? He had 94% approval rating from Republican base in yesterday poll.

He is the president. He has a country to rule. He can't allow thugs burn down the country.

Have you checked Loyd record? He is an hardened criminal who is going to prison like night party. His killing is gruesome and extrajudicial. But do you know how many people he himself has killed?

Check his record. Leave trump alone. He hasn't done anything wrong.

He didn't kill Loyd. It's a police brutality issue we face with sars in Nigeria everyday.

What do you mean Lloys is a hardened criminal?
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by blowjohn(m): 9:51am On May 30, 2020
jaxxy:
I think Twitter shud have left potus remarks, not fact checking them. Twitter community can largely takecare of itself.

Trump isn’t even against fact check bt not one sided fact check. Which is Correct. Nice.

I agree completely.
Is twitter saying that trump is the first human to tweet something that others might not like?
So they had a law on fact checking and the first human to be fact checked after 1 year is Donald Trump?
Isn't that suspicious?
By the way, why would people, especially the blacks go on a looting and burning spree?
And the stupid mayor of Minneapolis could not do anything but talk bullshit

2 Likes

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by adelaja70(m): 9:53am On May 30, 2020
HITLER STARTED THIS WAY...

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Shormiey(m): 10:05am On May 30, 2020
proxillin:

So how is this Trump fault?

How does this amount to looting and burning thugs are doing?

You can see Trump has no fault here...

Based on what you posted, it maybe business gone wrong. Business gone wrong between 2 individuals will now become international war.

Thats why its not gud to take side.
Go and read about every every ok....trump talks anyhow he doesn't have control over his tongue....
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by DonXavi(m): 10:17am On May 30, 2020
T
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Sleekmedulla: 10:30am On May 30, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:
Look at Trump's fat and stupid face grin grin grin He is such a slowpoke, he makes idiots look like geniuses. grin grin grin grin
76 likes for this vague and pointless comment ?? Nairalanders please you can be more reasonable. Smh

2 Likes

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by adelaja70(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2020
bluefilm:

adelaja70 wey you na?

Wia you dey?

Oya come and see o!

Shebi I tell you say Trump no dey play, you come dey talk nonsense?

Trump is the man!!!
WHAT'S wrong with this one? Is that the shut down he promised? Togolese president can do more than this watery executive order... From shut down to sue.. Lolz!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by dominusgai(m): 10:42am On May 30, 2020
Emphasis on all members. Do you know how many quotes from prominent people promoting violence that Twitter and Facebook refuses to ban. Currently carpernik is promoting destruction and looting of more shops. Antifa accounts with people actually being beaten has never been censored, Chinese officials post on twitter when twitter is banned in China. Post a verbatim video of democrats lying and it will be censored. Google telling Prager U their videos are misleading to the modern day youth yet refusing to do the same to radical Muslim videos. You have Muslim people calling for the destruction of Israel yet their accounts are left alone yet a company was banned for promoting their UV light technology that have been in use for over a decade.
post=90108000:
We love Twitter's stance on this one.

This tweet violated The Twitter's Rule about glorifying violence, Tribalism and Religion shenanigans....

Professionalism @ it's peak.

A social media company that works.

A company that respect the rules they lay down and ALL MEMBERS must follow even if you are the President of The United States Of America.

#RESPECT.

#DoubleTuale

Our moderators are trying in this part of the world also,
we can't take that away from them.
It is not easy moderating 'SOME slow ' Nigerians.
Slow and steady we will get to this point also.
Respect to the moderators here too!
They are really trying.

kiss

RantHQ comes to mind,
they are still settling the matter as we heard!

Say No More!
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Exc2000: 10:56am On May 30, 2020
Okworigeorge:
the mods will have to approve each comments/thread before they can show on the site. more mods will be needed, more job creation

not feasible.. nairaland has over 2 to 3 million active account across Africa you cant effectively moderate such numbers and approve their comments
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Talong(m): 11:17am On May 30, 2020
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Golan007: 11:37am On May 30, 2020
proxillin:

with this question, you sold yourself out. It means you dont read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8366533/George-Floyd-moved-Minneapolis-start-new-life-released-prison-Texas.html

I had already seen his history.

It is well stated that he's been out of prison for over 10 years now.

He left Texas for Minnesota to turn his life around and he's been doing this for over a decade now.

He even published a statement denouncing gun crime by the younger generation but I see you've neglected this.

Your love for Trump supersedes your desire to tell the truth even as someone's life and indeed death is the issue.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Golan007: 11:47am On May 30, 2020
proxillin:

so u read the link i sent to you, summarized it back to me then insulted me. You were not aware he was a criminal until i sent you that link. If you did, you wont ask me the question that made me sent you the link.

you are a shameless fellow

I had read it before asking you.

By the way, I asked hotwax and not this moniker.
This is to let you know I'm in my full elements.

Hotwax cannot make a man who has paid his debt to society, being out of trouble for over a decade out to be a criminal who makes it to prison like some " nightclub ".

It is not uncommon for a young man of colour to have a criminal record in the US.

To use that as a reason to demonize him in his death is not only immoral but evil.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by FLYFIRE(m): 11:53am On May 30, 2020
mariovito:
This guy is losing his mind.
He is losing his mind? How about a non-medical person like Bill Gates telling the world what do to be safe & is being PUSHED on ALL social media platforms but a professional medical person's opinions ARE DELETED by same platforms (Facebook, Twitter & the rest). This man IS BEING USED BY GOD, pray for him. You WOULD HAVE BEEN CHIPPED ALREADY, used AGAINST yourself & SWITCHED OFF when you are NO LONGER NEEDED

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Okworigeorge(m): 12:18pm On May 30, 2020
Exc2000:

not feasible.. nairaland has over 2 to 3 million active account across Africa you cant effectively moderate such numbers and approve their comments
nairaland has 2.4M members, not active members. BTW anything is possible
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Jakemedg(m): 1:11pm On May 30, 2020
Shormiey:

Are you sure? Callings blacks "thugs' and calling whites "good people".
What are you trying to say?
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

The bill is stupid because then Twitter is being punished for what the users said. If you have a problem take it up with the user.

Would you sue a paper company for the words of a book writing slander against you?

How will this work when a large number of users are bots or troll accounts?
that was the status and why social media enjoyed legal immunity until Twitter and Facebook started deleting posts that don’t align with its beliefs or opinion.

They should have allowed those that want to sue to sue Trump or others they feel offended by their post and not selective deletion they do.

There’s a reason twitter and Facebook are made not to allow monikers unlike Nairaland so u can sue.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 30, 2020
jaxxy:
I think Twitter shud have left potus remarks, not fact checking them. Twitter community can largely takecare of itself.

Trump isn’t even against fact check bt not one sided fact check. Which is Correct. Nice.

Wtf did you just post..does this make any sense to you?
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

You can also read provision 2 of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

See how it contradicts with this?

Meaning that all websites not just Twitter and Facebook are liable for what people say on their website because removing comments that infringe on the site rules are 'editorialising'.

He views private companies like Facebook and Twitter as government entities

But the first ammendment specifically says that free speech laws apply to the government not private entities.

When Trump signed up for Twitter he agreed to their rules. Trump can say whatever but Twitter also has the right to moderate their websites.

So now tell me, if Buhari wanted to pass a law making nairaland liable for the comments of it's users because it enforces it's rules and thus could be prosecuted for such would you support it?

Because that was what the defeated social media bill was proposing.
Nairaland uses monikers reason It has mods to delete rubbish posts cause monikers can’t be sued. You can’t join Facebook with a moniker. The structure of Facebook and Twitter is to maintain real identity of users like a normal world where u can say whatever u want and be responsible for your actions if anyone decides to sue for libel or slander. That was how Facebook was until they dabbled into politics and started pushing their agenda that was when I deactivated my account. On Facebook now if u are fond of posting things against homosexuality or feminism they will delete, block or suspend your account.

Hence if the owners want to be the police after being backed by law that they are not liable, they should kuku be liable.

You said u don’t want something to be your business, the law was adjusted to back u then you turn around to make it your business when it suits you. U say u dey fact check.

They want to eat their cake and have it!

Meanwhile stop bringing Buhari into our discussions I don’t want to talk about him.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by jaxxy(m): 1:46pm On May 30, 2020
milehigh06:

Wtf did you just post..does this make any sense to you?

U can’t be fact checking only those u feel like.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Farki: 1:47pm On May 30, 2020
kokaneprodigy:
that was the status and why social media enjoyed legal immunity until Twitter and Facebook started deleting posts that don’t align with its beliefs or opinion.

They should have allowed those that want to sue to sue Trump or others they feel offended by their post and not selective deletion they do.

There’s a reason twitter and Facebook are made not to allow monikers unlike Nairaland so u can sue.

Social media isn't the government.

If I register on a website and one of the conditions of use is that I will not incite violence against others and I start inciting violence against others who is at fault, me or the website?

If I go to African Magic forums and start talking about PlayStation 5 should the moderators of Africa Magic forums be obligated to keep my off-topic and irrelevant post on their forum?

Though I agree that Twitter selectively enforces their rules then it should be up to the users to decide if they want to use it or not, which is why I don't have a Twitter account.

There is also no rule on Twitter or Facebook that you must use your real name and put your real life information out to the public.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Farki: 1:50pm On May 30, 2020
kokaneprodigy:

Nairaland uses monikers reason It has mods to delete rubbish posts cause monikers can’t be sued. You can’t join Facebook with a moniker. The structure of Facebook and Twitter is to maintain real identity of users like a normal world where u can say whatever u want and be responsible for your actions if anyone decides to sue for libel or slander. That was how Facebook was until they dabbled into politics and started pushing their agenda that was when I deactivated my account. On Facebook now if u are fond of posting things against homosexuality or feminism they will delete, block or suspend your account.

Hence if the owners want to be the police after being backed by law that they are not liable, they should kuku be liable.

You said u don’t want something to be your business, the law was adjusted to back u then you turn around to make it your business when it suits you. U say u dey fact check.

They want to eat their cake and have it!

Meanwhile stop bringing Buhari into our discussions I don’t want to talk about him.

No I absolutely must bring Buhari into this, I want to know if you actually support the bill or just support it because Trump is the one proposing it. If you did support this action then it wouldn't matter who was passing the bill.

Judging by your reluctance to answer the question it seems I already have my answer.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

Social media isn't the government.

If I register on a website and one of the conditions of use is that I will not incite violence against others and I start inciting violence against others who is at fault, me or the website?

If I go to African Magic forums and start talking about PlayStation 5 should the moderators of Africa Magic forums be obligated to keep my off-topic and irrelevant post on their forum?

Though I agree that Twitter selectively enforces their rules then it should be up to the users to decide if they want to use it or not, which is why I don't have a Twitter account.

There is also no rule on Twitter or Facebook that you must use your real name and put your real life information out to the public.
Twitter is a registered company in the US same with FB. They are governed by government laws which doesn’t allow private organizations to be politically biased.

You can’t use a moniker to open a Facebook account go figure

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

No I absolutely must bring Buhari into this, I want to know if you actually support the bill or just support it because Trump is the one proposing it. If you did support this action then it wouldn't matter who was passing the bill.

Judging by your reluctance to answer the question it seems I already have my answer.
I don’t like talking about Buhari cos he has never been intellectually sound and I hate dull people.

Lastly Buhari once attempted to bar Daar communications from Aso rock in 2015. Buhari can’t stand 1/1000 of the close criticism Trump takes daily and debates with on a daily basis. He doesn’t have the mental capacity.
Buhari jailed a journalist in a democracy and refused to release him on bail until external pressure was mounted on him. One of his ministers ordered the arrest of a man cos of poem.
That’s the person you are bringing into this discussion. It’s an insult to bring up Buhari when discussing Trump please.

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Farki: 2:05pm On May 30, 2020
kokaneprodigy:

Twitter is a registered company in the US same with FB. They are governed by government laws which doesn’t allow private organizations to be politically biased.

You can’t use a moniker to open a Facebook account go figure

So how does Fox News, Townhall and MSNBC exist if private organisations can't be politically biased?

I opened a Facebook account but I didn't use my name, you can put any name it doesn't have to be your name.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

So how does Fox News, Townhall and MSNBC exist if private organisations can't be politically biased?

I opened a Facebook account but I didn't use my name, you can put any name it doesn't have to be your name.
i said moniker, the idea is you have to use a name. It even rejects some names if they seem fake . The summary is it was built to maintain certain level of real.

For the news outfit you mentioned reason they are liable for what they dish out. Remember CNN have been sued different times and paid damages in cash to beneficiaries. Reason if they must be partisan they must dish out facts though lopsided. Reason mainstream media will moderate guests on their boundaries and limits before going live because they liable.

Twitter wants to start operating like main stream media reason Trump is saying they should now be liable.

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Farki: 2:19pm On May 30, 2020
kokaneprodigy:
I don’t like talking about Buhari cos he has never been intellectually sound and I hate dull people.

Lastly Buhari once attempted to bar Daar communications from Aso rock in 2015. Buhari can’t stand 1/1000 of the close criticism Trump takes daily and debates with on a daily basis. He doesn’t have the mental capacity.
Buhari jailed a journalist in a democracy and refused to release him on bail until external pressure was mounted on him. One of his ministers ordered the arrest of a man cos of poem.
That’s the person you are bringing into this discussion. It’s an insult to bring up Buhari when discussing Trump please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elhyo-_fR0E

So it's this guy that you like?

Trump sent away journalists from press conferences and banned entire news agencies attending his press events, continues to attack any news outlet critical of him as 'Fake News'.

Buhari is trying to suppress social media that is critical of him now Trump is trying to do the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elhyo-_fR0E

So it's this guy that you like?

Trump sent away journalists from press conferences and banned entire news agencies attending his press events, continues to attack any news outlet critical of him as 'Fake News'.

Buhari is trying to suppress social media that is critical of him now Trump is trying to do the same thing.
you are a liar! This was during his campaign he wasn’t the president and didn’t hold any office hence you can’t say he abused power.

Government has the responsibility to free press and not private citizen.
Buhari has been using his office to harass journalists.

Trump is not suppressing social media he’s saying they can’t eat their cake and have it!

Stop lying through your teeth.

1 Like

Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Farki: 2:26pm On May 30, 2020
kokaneprodigy:
i said moniker, the idea is you have to use a name. It even rejects some names if they seem fake . The summary is it was built to maintain certain level of real.

For the news outfit you mentioned reason they are liable for what they dish out. Remember CNN have been sued different times and paid damages in cash to beneficiaries. Reason if they must be partisan they must dish out facts though lopsided. Reason mainstream media will moderate guests on their boundaries and limits before going live because they liable.

Twitter wants to start operating like main stream media reason Trump is saying they should now be liable.
Please what does moniker mean?

I have a clearly obviously fake name yet the account is still up. Twitter doesn't require your real name either.

You understand that if CNN was sued it is because of private entities or persons having a grievance and not by government mandate. The government won't sanction private companies for political bias unless they are breaking existing laws. Which is why Fox News can lick Trump's ass till kingdom come and not be taken down by the government.
Re: Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Social Media Giants' Legal Protections by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 30, 2020
Farki:

Please what does moniker mean?

I have a clearly obviously fake name yet the account is still up. Twitter doesn't require your real name either.

You understand that if CNN was sued it is because of private entities or persons having a grievance and not by government mandate. The government won't sanction private companies for political bias unless they are breaking existing laws. Which is why Fox News can lick Trump's ass till kingdom come and not be taken down by the government.
Twitter is not a mainstream media and I’m done engaging you cos you can never understand and to be honest I’m not surprised and I completely understand. I don’t have time for this back and forth you are wasting my time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ISIS Praises Ukraine War And Says It Hopes It Will Destroy 'Enemies Of Islam' / Capital Police Draw Firearms Against Invading Trump Supporters / U.S. Airman Who Set Himself On Fire Outside Israeli Embassy In D.C. Has Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.