Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,797 members, 7,798,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari (362 Views)

Emefiele Suspension Tied To $1bn Transaction Allegedly Linked To Dangote - Fake / How Abacha Stole Billions In Truckloads - Enrico Monfrini (BBC) / Abacha Stole Close To 1 Billion Dollars - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by boman2014: 12:28am On May 30, 2020
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that late
General Sani Abacha, Nigeria’s late military
Dictator, stole close to $1bn between 1993 and

Buhari in an article published in Newsweek, a
United States-based publication, thanked
countries that have returned the looted funds
back to Nigeria.

Though the President did not mention the name
of Sani Abacha directly, it was clear that he was
referring to the late dictator.

Buhari served under the late Abacha as head of
Petroleum Trust Fund.

He said, “And we can now move forward with
road, rail and power station construction -- in
part under own resources -- thanks to close to a
billion dollars of funds stolen from the people of
Nigeria under a previous undemocratic junta in
the 1990s that have now been returned to our
country from the US, UK and Switzerland.

“That these friendly nations agreed to return
these funds after so long is testament to the fact
that Nigeria is rightly seen as an increasingly
stable and beneficial place to transact and
invest. It is much the same across the continent,
with sub-saharan Africa now outpacing Asia,
Europe and North America by some measure in
terms of foreign direct investment inflows-to-
GDP, perhaps for the very first time.”

Hundreds of millions of dollars stolen by the late
Abacha and kept in foreign accounts have since
been recovered by various Nigerian
governments.
I
In 1998, General Abubakar Abdulsalami recovered
$750m from the Abacha family; in 2000, General
Olusegun Obasanjo recovered $64m from
Switzerland; still in 2002, Obasanjo got another
$1.2bn from a deal with the Abacha family and
another $160m in 2003 from Jersey, British
Island. Obasanjo got another $88m in 2003,
$461m in 2005 and $44 in 2006, all from
Switzerland.
I
On his part, former President, Dr Goodluck
Jonathan retrieved $227m from Liechtenstein
while President Buhari got $322 in 2018 and the
last $311 in 2020.

http://saharareporters.com/2020/05/29/abacha-stole-close-1bn-head-state-says-president-buhari

Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by SarkinYarki: 12:34am On May 30, 2020
So he now agrees Abacha stole ?

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by philo04(m): 12:35am On May 30, 2020
Buhari cannot say this!!!!!!
Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by Chikelue2000(m): 12:43am On May 30, 2020
philo04:
Buhari cannot say this!!!!!!
I am telling u...that must be Jubril of Sudan.....

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by Chikelue2000(m): 12:45am On May 30, 2020
The problem of Nigeria is the problem of the north....see how much Abacha stole yet no body is talking about him negatively....Buhari will leave office soon n u will b shocked to hear his own loot....maybe not him just his appointees....but they will all call Jonathan n curse him too but look d other way when it comes to the north

4 Likes

Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by kcute(m): 12:54am On May 30, 2020
Baba say d man nor b looter.
Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by AroleOduduwa2: 1:01am On May 30, 2020
Buhari should be able to tell Nigerians the real figure, he was part of Abacha’s government, he headed the looting office back then (PTF).

He should also tell us how much he has looted since 2015
Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by blakid(m): 2:12am On May 30, 2020
This man is just too daft to rule his household not to talk of a Country. Was he not the same modafucker that pronounced Abacha a true hero of the Nation, staring that he never stole a dime.
Mehn, I rest my case on this President Buhari's type of stupidity...
To think we still have 3 good years to go with this man is making me loose my sanity...

1 Like

Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by AhoadaRivers: 2:13am On May 30, 2020
Abokii buhari claimed 'Abacha never stole' because Abacha was from his tribe. Even his brother the AGF from the north called Malami called it 'Abacha asset'. Would he have called it 'Obasanjo asset' or 'Ekwueme asset' or 'GEJ asset' if these people had stolen that money and stashed it away in foreign land? No the abboki idiot would have callee it 'GEJ loot' or 'OBJ loot'.

Imagine if this humongous money was stolen by an Ibo or any other tribe, there is no way jubril Buhari would have claimed that person never stole.
Re: Abacha Stole Close To $1bn As Head Of State, Says President Buhari by Mynd44: 5:12am On May 30, 2020

(1)

Lower Niger Bloc – Igbo People Come See What It's About! / Nobody Has The Right To Tell The President Where To Hold Meetings- Presidency / I Suspended Oshiomole For Failing To Pay My Pension- Oshawo, APC Ward Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.