Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments (28998 Views)

How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) / Condiments Available / Using Locust Beans(iru/ogiri/dawadawa) To Cook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 10:58am On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

Naza longtime o..

Different strokes for different folks....I know we have ogiri that comes in smelly paste like well wrapped with leaves and sold 20-50naira in the local market around some states in the south east.

Okpei is that very black smelly stuff too, it's different from the usual ogiri.

Their is also Iru from yoruba, in a small seed like form well fermented. It gives similar taste like when u use the ogiri in Igbo markets.

We also have the peeled seeds of ugu, cooked wrapped and left to ferment for some days... My people use it in uha soup and the palatable ofe Owerri as well.
I am aware of these as well.You know your condiments well. You must be a good cook grin.

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 27, 2020
TigerFoods:
Iru; the Godmother of all Condiments.

https://www.tigerfoods.com/iru-the-godmother-of-all-condiments/
Could you throw more light on what you mean by first cooking the dawadawa in oil?
I'm interested.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 10:59am On Jun 27, 2020
ursullalinda:

Ogiri for porridge and ukwa?.......indeed there are different methods of cooking.......thanks for enlightening me.
You're welcome
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 11:01am On Jun 27, 2020
pocohantas:

Thanks for this. We don’t really eat it in my part of the SE. I hate it sef, can’t stand it. This was my first time of using it and an Anambra person actually suggested it. cheesy
It is common among Anambra people. You must be from Abia. Glad you liked it grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 11:05am On Jun 27, 2020
sassysure:

In my place, ogiri can be used to make bitter leave yam porridge. Sprinkle some dry fish on top and kiss kiss

We use it to make ji afìfìa( gosh, I miss home. cry).
Do they still do this. That's one of my best way to eat yam.
Ogiri isi can be used to make ji afifia but onubu as the vegetable. We don't use it with ji afifia with "green" as vegetable rather we use ukpaka. I'm already salivating typing this grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 11:06am On Jun 27, 2020
Goalnaldo:
I can't even tell them apart lol. You Delta Igbo?
Anambra
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 11:06am On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
I am aware of these as well.You know your condiments well. You must be a good cook grin.
cheesy I learnt while growing up..
No sis, all boys.

It's been a while, seems u took a break, abii u preparing for bbn5..cheesy
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 11:08am On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

cheesy I learnt while growing up..
No sis, all boys.

It's been a while, seems u took a break, abii u preparing for bbn5..cheesy
No wonder, you don't have an option.

I'm waiting for season 5 grin.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:11am On Jun 27, 2020
I hate that shit.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by blazer90707: 11:25am On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

The difference is the addition of scent leaf for Igbos. I used banga so people who aren't Igbo will flow with the discussion.

Palm fruit is called banga in our pidgin especially for SS people(delta and rivers precisely).

Akwu is it's Igbo name.

Ofe is soup in Igbo.
I know what ofe akwu is that's why I said the only similarity is the palm fruit.anybody who hasn't tasted Banga but ofe akwu can't claim to know how Banga tastes and vice versa. They might be similar but taste different because of ingredients and method of cooking. BTW Banga is not pidgin but the isoko and urhobo names for palm fruit
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
No wonder, you don't have an option.

I'm waiting for season 5 grin.
Lol, I have option o, As far as bae knows how, I don't have bizness with kitchen department o.... Unless I want to do pampering.

Just that she z Abia.. And u know abians are limited To few native soups in addition to achara stuffs.

Yea we anticipate for the new season.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by blazer90707: 11:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

Lol, I have option o, As far as bae knows how, I don't have bizness with kitchen department o.... Unless I want to do pampering.

Just that she z Abia.. And u know abians are limited To few native soups in addition to achara stuffs.

IT seems you like a lot of native foods oo. I guess you and bae would just strike a balance . You would cook all the native soups and special special delicacies while she would cook the normal ones she knows

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 27, 2020
chii8:
In Igbo,it's called okpei and the sister also ogiri.
I love okpei wink
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 27, 2020
Macsjebs:
E dey sweet for okro and ewedu
Put Ugwu inside o cool

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 11:52am On Jun 27, 2020
blazer90707:

IT seems you like a lot of native foods oo. I guess you and bae would just strike a balance . You would cook all the native soups and special special delicacies while she would cook the normal ones she knows
I like variety... I am deeply rooted to native.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
Ogiri isi can be used to make ji afifia but onubu as the vegetable. We don't use it with ji afifia with "green" as vegetable rather we use ukpaka. I'm already salivating typing this grin

Heee grin
U are indeed daughter of the soil.

I have thought of buying ùkpaka(ùgba) from amazon.
My kids love to eat it with yam and oil.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by NnamdiN: 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2020
Pavore9:
@TigerFoods, what is the shelf life and the weight of this Ugu pack? Is your ogiri product already in the market?
we have beautifully packed ogiri in the market. Very nice and affordable. Send a pm if interested

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by gwama: 3:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
In Burkina Faso, Ivoiry Coast, Senegal and Mali, the name of Iru is soumbala or soumbara, it is made with Néré tree, the scientific name of Néré tree is Parkia biglobosa. cool cool cool
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 3:36pm On Jun 27, 2020
sassysure:

Heee grin
U are indeed daughter of the soil.

I have thought of buying ùkpaka(ùgba) from amazon.
My kids love to eat it with yam and oil.
Lol @ daughter of the soil. Ukpaka and oil with yam(especially ji iyoo) yum yum grin

Amazon? You don't live in Nigeria?
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 3:41pm On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

Dump your babe and look for anambra girl lipsrsealed grin, your taste bud will never remain the same, o bu so achara ka I ga na eri grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
Lol @ daughter of the soil. Ukpaka and oil with yam(especially ji iyoo) yum yum grin

Amazon? You don't live in Nigeria?
Ji iyoooo.
I am dead.
If u roast that yam, put freshly processed palm oil in between the middle, shit.
I want to go back to my village o cry cheesy

Nope.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 3:54pm On Jun 27, 2020
sassysure:

Ji iyoooo.
I am dead.
If u roast that yam, put freshly processed palm oil in between the middle, shit.
I want to go back to my village o cry cheesy

Nope.
in fact you are the main daughter of the soil grin.

You pass me Abeg.
You must be missing a lot since you don't reside in Nigeria.
I just bought my akwu in the market today,na ofe akwu get me tomorrow grin

I will send yours through amazon when I finish cooking cheesy
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
Dump your babe and look for anambra girl lipsrsealed grin, your taste bud will never remain the same, o bu so achara ka I ga na eri grin
I av had Anambra, But bae beat them all... cheesy in every every.... She is learning a lot.... With time aha m a buru come and chop.

Anambra unu n'esi ite mma mma o....Unu na umu Nwaanyi contry5...I give u people the medal for now... grin Bae will bounce back to reclaim the medal after learning all.
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:

You pass me Abeg.

Ofe-akwu inspirational Saturday... cheesy
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 4:08pm On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

Ofe-akwu inspirational Saturday... cheesy

lol
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 4:11pm On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

I av had Anambra, But bae beat them all... cheesy in every every.... She is learning a lot.... With time aha m a buru come and chop.

Anambra unu n'esi ite mma mma o....Unu na umu Nwaanyi contry5...I give u people the medal for now... grin Bae will bounce back to reclaim the medal after learning all.
Don't mind me. It's good that she's learning. I wish you guys the best.
Do and call us Abeg, I wan wear ashebi grin

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
Don't mind me. It's good that she's learning. I wish you guys the best.
Do and call us Abeg, I wan wear ashebi grin

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

Finally grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Munzy14(m): 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:
Finally grin
The meme.... grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by nazablossom(f): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
Munzy14:

The meme.... grin
grin cheesy
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2020
nazablossom:

You pass me Abeg.

U dey do me longer throat, right? cheesy cheesy
Its alright cry

I envy you guys but people like me improvise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Make Delicious Bitter Leaf Soup With Assorted Meat (Photos,Video) / Lady Poses With An Antelope They Killed At Her Community In Anambra State. / How To Make Spaghetti (Delicious Jollof Spaghetti)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.