Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase - TV/Movies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase (69909 Views)

Multichoice Hikes Subscription Prices On DSTV, GOTV / FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase / Multichoice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down June 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by 9icetoo(m): 4:56pm On May 31, 2020
Netflix will be the end of dstv. Many people have stopped paying for dstv already.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Itohan11: 4:56pm On May 31, 2020
MCN bore the burden for four months. It can't and shouldn't pay vat on behalf of subscribers. Vat collected isn't part of its turnover. It simply collects for remittance to the government
Karlifate:
Multichoice is increasing tariffs in this period where people are losing their jobs left & right.
Las las, pipu wey go pay am, go pay am.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 4:56pm On May 31, 2020
edoairways:

Fat lie
Travel out of your hamlet for once and have a feel of how life is in more civilised climes.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 4:57pm On May 31, 2020
Itohan11:
Why should we? Who should pay vat? The consumer or service provider?
The consumer pays VAT not the company. The company only collect the vat on behalf of the government, this has been the global practice worldwide
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Itohan11: 4:58pm On May 31, 2020
VAT increase has affected costs of all goods and services. Also that the power companies already did so from March.

MCN bore the burden for four months. It can't and shouldn't pay vat on behalf of subscribers. Vat collected isn't part of its turnover. It simply collects for remittance to the government
edoairways:

Put the blame on VAT increase not multichoice
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 4:59pm On May 31, 2020
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
Travel out of your hamlet for once and have a feel of how life is in more civilised climes.
I have traveled to many countries so I know what am saying. Aside that, what is obtainable in country A may not be practicable in country b, reason been that the business environment are different.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Karlifate: 5:00pm On May 31, 2020
Itohan11:
Nigerians will adjust to the changes & folks that can't afford it, will find an alternative.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 5:05pm On May 31, 2020
Itohan11:
VAT increase has affected costs of all goods and services. Also that the power companies already did so from March.

Multi choice Nigeria can't continue to bear such burden as it affects their profit. Should they be forced to bear, some persons might loose their jobs. @ bolded the remitted revenue doesn't fall from the sky it comes directly from sales or services rendered, but should they bear the burden it deplict the company's revenue. Why wasn't an uproar when mtn did theirs?
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 5:12pm On May 31, 2020
9icetoo:
Netflix will be the end of dstv. Many people have stopped paying for dstv already.
Netflix might gain some subscribers in Nigeria, however, the cost of data is another factor to be considered. Mind you dstv still controls the viewership of most football league in sub sahara Africa. This government is not relenting as they may consider taxing Netflix very soon if it profitable
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 5:15pm On May 31, 2020
kikero:

CTL was shut down for pirating signals. They even at one time pirated the signals of HiTV...a Nigerian company self.

More recently, they were shut down for pirating Multichoice, Startimes, and BeIN...

In other words they were stealing content, and selling it as theirs. Content providers complained.

Startimes works...and is cheaper.
Nigerians should switch to star time for once instead of wailing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 31, 2020
flokii:
Why can't NCC stop DSTV/GoTv from cheating Nigerians?

We've said it times without number that the South African company should embrace "Pay as you go" system of billing just like it is in SA and other sane climes.

Why increase tariff when people hardly get value for the money they pay. This rubbish has to stop.

The flip-side of this argument is that Nigerians are entitled in wanting to enjoy DSTV, and still pay low prices. For starters, cable TV across the world is aluxury, as you cannot therefore make an argument for its regulation like electricity, telephony and water (which are essential goods).

I personally have not turned on my DSTV since October 2019; they called me so often to renew that they became a nuisance, and I had to tell them off. I share a Netflix family account with four (4) other people, and use paid for unlimited internet. Trust me, Netflix is by far a better option than DSTV (sans football which you can watch using a VPN online).

The same way times are difficult for businesses is also how times are difficult for DSTV. They are also mostly shopping for international content using an FX rate that has skyrocketed, and burning diesel daily, just like YOU the average consumer.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 31, 2020
jimi4us:
Im sick and tired of watching repeat shows on DSTV

Netflix Bro . . .

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 31, 2020
showafrica:

If you have been to Europe or America you will agree with me there is what is called DTH and DTT or satellite and terrestrial services. Everybody cannot be rich at the same time however, there are some world events that should not be denied to anybody because of money. Do you know if Nigeria monopolise NTA to only one company and make sure that NTA is the only channel allowed to cover federal and presidential events, NTA will become a premium content and will belong to DsTV 15k bouquet. Therefore, the middle class and the poor will no longer have access to NTA and local news. Questions is why would a country to that to his people. It is exactly what dstv is doing to our nation. Everybody cannot afford dstv however, football is a world event, so why would the Nigeria govt deny his citizens EPL because, they cannot afford it.

Let me describe epl for you.. It is a product from england that is on demand. Instead of Nigeria to buy the product from england sell to her citizens at a subsidize rate such that it will reach every nook and cranny. They decided to hand it over to a private firm and told the firm to pay the govt fixed amount of money and resell to Nigerians AT ANY PRICE they want. The firm pays the govt and exploit her citizens. Because, the rich can afford it, no problem but the poor who cannot can go to hell. DTT was created for the poor so that they wont miss out and thats what ctl and metro do. However, in a sane country the DTH is mandated to resell the product to the DTT providers (retailers) but for whatever reason Dstv dont want it. Why bc exploitation will pay more. You see the problem. This is the point where the govt failed her citizens and dstv is taking advantage of it. I hope you understand.

OK....let's clear up some misconceptions

1.EPL rights are very expensive. EVEN in the UK...the BBC cannot air EPL matches, only highlights, and maybe one match per week...because the BBC cannot afford EPL TV rights. Only Sky (DSTV's equivalent in the UK) and BT (more recently) can air EPL matches because they can afford it.(BBC does broadcast epl matches and results on radio only...but not on TV)

2.If BBC cannot afford EPL rights, NTA cannot, nor can the Nigerian government. I doubt the Nigerian government can afford to even buy and subsidise EPL rights.

3.All the money you pay for DSTV is not only to help them pay for rights to the EPL viewing...it also goes into paying for the rights to air all the channles that appear on DSTV...and that includes Nigerian channels like AIT, TVC, CHANNELS, and even NTA! You seem to think that the money you are paying DSTV goes to paying for EPL alone. It does not.

4.No European country does what you have just described. They don't buy viewing rights and resell at lower prices. They would be BROKE in months if they did that. As would their football leagues.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Biggaboi(m): 5:44pm On May 31, 2020
SarkinYarki:
How can you protest increase on something that's not essential ? If they increase and you can't pay then dump their ass and opt for NTA's Startimes which I hear is like 500 naira a month for many stations ..
Please bro I've had a startimes decoder for years which I haven't been able to use due to the fact of not having antenna for it. I understand it can work with a regular TV antenna. The one I bought last time didn't work and the one I'm using now for my TV can't give enough signal strength for the decoder to work. Is there a special antenna for the decoder? By the way I bought it from someone
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by lucasalves: 5:51pm On May 31, 2020
Biggaboi:

Please bro I've had a startimes decoder for years which I haven't been able to use due to the fact of not having antenna for it. I understand it can work with a regular TV antenna. The one I bought last time didn't work and the one I'm using now for my TV can't give enough signal strength for the decoder to work. Is there a special antenna for the decoder? By the way I bought it from someone
Hmmm why don't you do what normal people do and call someone to fix it for you? The level of reasoning in this country self

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Sunnyja: 6:29pm On May 31, 2020
lexdany:
see as them dey make money � for our head...if only tstv survived and created competition, all these rubbish for no dey Happen

meanwhile check out my signature
What really happened to tstv?!
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by qtx(m): 6:29pm On May 31, 2020
ProsperChild:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/nigerians-groan-protest-dstv-gotv-tariff-increase/
that's d power of monopoly, there is nothing anybody can do about it, not even d govt. So get that into your skulls now.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by showafrica(m): 6:56pm On May 31, 2020
kikero:

1.EPL rights are very expensive. EVEN in the UK...the BBC cannot air EPL matches, only highlights, and maybe one match per week...because the BBC cannot afford EPL TV rights. Only Sky (DSTV's equivalent in the UK) and BT (more recently) can air EPL matches because they can afford it.(BBC does broadcast epl matches and results on radio only...but not on TV)

2.If BBC cannot afford EPL rights, NTA cannot, nor can the Nigerian government. I doubt the Nigerian government can afford to even buy and subsidise EPL rights.

3.All the money you pay for DSTV is not only to help them pay for rights to the EPL viewing...it also goes into paying for the rights to air all the channles that appear on DSTV...and that includes Nigerian channels like AIT, TVC, CHANNELS, and even NTA! You seem to think that the money you are paying DSTV goes to paying for EPL alone. It does not.

4.No European country does what you have just described. They don't buy viewing rights and resell at lower prices. They would be BROKE in months if they did that. As would their football leagues.

You mistook somethings... Epl is British product infact they skip airing some matches in England for fans to pay for tickets. The aim is to maximize profit for the nation. In UK, all homes are able to pay for Sky, make your research why bc viewing rates are checkmated. All we want Nigeria to do is to regulate the rates of products if it must be monopolized. Yes, dstv forces Nigerians to pay for stupid contents. Ask yourself, why is it that dstv does not have a bouquet for football lovers alone. When they lost the right to epl, they lost 70% subscribers. Remove epl from dstv nobody will subscribe above 5k. You said epl is expensive, how much does dstv pay, We dont know. Epl is not a Nigerian product and we should not allow them bid any amount and sell to us any amount. Bein sports has a package for sports only and 10x cheaper, is it not from the same Barclay? If dstv has ss1 to 10 for 5k, who will subscribe to CTL or metro. Thats why subletting faced out in Europe. Since the satellite operators can create different packages for everyone. My point is dstv is exploiting us and the govt is not doing anything about it. If its a competitive market, i wont blame the govt but since is a monopolistic market, govt have a say. If not, we will wake up one day and if you dont pay 100k, u wont watch epl. If the govt mandate them to bench epl conte ts for 5k, they either cut Nigeria off or succumb. If they cut Nigeria off, Nigerians will find a thousand ways to watch the same EPL and still remit tax to the govt.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 31, 2020
Sunnyja:
What really happened to tstv?!

TSTV did not study their market well, launched too soon, made promises that they could not keep (like the internet with your decoder promise) and also were airing pirated signals from BeIN...when Bein was screaming that they had signed no agreement.

This article gives a good overview of why they failed
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 31, 2020
[quote author=showafrica post=90169239]

You mistook somethings... Epl is British product infact they skip airing some matches in England for fans to pay for tickets. The aim is to maximize profit for the nation. In UK, all homes are able to pay for Sky, make your research why bc viewing rates are checkmated.

1.Actually, if you get a SKY package, you get all premier league matches, and even lower leagues, and some other leagues.

2.Not all hosueholds can affrod SKY. There are things like Freesat, and the interent, and Freeview. Unfortunately, only SKY and BT can air premier league matches.

3.All matches are aired on SKY and BT. They don't skip matches (initally in the 1970's and 80's matches were not aired on British TV live for that reason..most of them because people were worried that fans won't go to the stadium to watch. That has turned out to be unfounded)

By the way, I know people who live in the UK, and infact spent some time there myself..that's how I know this stuff.

All we want Nigeria to do is to regulate the rates of products if it must be monopolized. Yes, dstv forces Nigerians to pay for stupid contents. Ask yourself, why is it that dstv does not have a bouquet for football lovers alone. When they lost the right to epl, they lost 70% subscribers. Remove epl from dstv nobody will subscribe above 5k. You said epl is expensive, how much does dstv pay, We dont know. Epl is not a Nigerian product and we should not allow them bid any amount and sell to us any amount. Bein sports has a package for sports only and 10x cheaper, is it not from the same Barclay? If dstv has ss1 to 10 for 5k, who will subscribe to CTL or metro. Thats why subletting faced out in Europe. Since the satellite operators can create different packages for everyone. My point is dstv is exploiting us and the govt is not doing anything about it. If its a competitive market, i wont blame the govt but since is a monopolistic market, govt have a say. If not, we will wake up one day and if you dont pay 100k, u wont watch epl. If the govt mandate them to bench epl conte ts for 5k, they either cut Nigeria off or succumb. If they cut Nigeria off, Nigerians will find a thousand ways to watch the same EPL and still remit tax to the govt.

You can always swtich to Startimes. No EPL , but they do have the Bundesliga...plus you can watch EPL matches at a viewing center.(Viewing centers have a special separate deal from DSTV )

Again, EPL rights are expensive. It cost HiTV $28million in 2006. NTA's budget in 2017 was $11 million dollars. See why NTA cannot afford premier league rights , nor can the Nigerian government.

What you are advocating for is price controls. It sounds nice...but is a nice way to drive off investors, and to make your bad economic situation worse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by joshboo(m): 7:43pm On May 31, 2020
jimi4us:
Im sick and tired of watching repeat shows on DSTV

Exactly. Honestly make people make do other mediums to entertain themselves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by mondi2: 8:02pm On May 31, 2020
Please, I want to know if GOTV had increase their tariff rate also and what is the new tariff rate?
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by showafrica(m): 8:12pm On May 31, 2020
[quote author=kikero post=90169626][/quote]

I disagree with you, I know a couple of games sky dont broadcast and i insist we dont compare Britain with Nigeria. The same Europe almost all the countries in Europe have there own broadcast right.. They refused sky or any other company in England to come and exploit them. Either give us the right or eat your epl thats the power of a nation. Portugal, sports TV, bulgaria, diema sports, greece- cosmote, italy - sky italia, spain etc.

Yes, here there should be price control for monopolistic product otherwise, exploitation will be the order of the day.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:14pm On May 31, 2020
kikero:

Why should Nigerian government buy EPL in the first place? It would be foolish for them to think such when their local league aren't patronized.. They should take decision at all

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:15pm On May 31, 2020
mondi2:
Please, I want to know if GOTV had increase their tariff rate also and what is the new tariff rate?
Effective from 12 mid night June 1st 2020
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by edoairways: 8:27pm On May 31, 2020
OrdinaryNigeria:
U said people shud opt for NTA and Startimes? Will u keep quiet b4 thunder strike u to coma.
Dstv shud allow them air football only and see how dey wil leave our country. Dstv hold 200milion people spell bound.
There are Nigerians who can operate better TV broadcast but, DSTV collobi every
The day you and I stop watching EPL is the day things will change
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by femi214: 9:29pm On May 31, 2020
annford:
I personally 'divorced' DSTV and Gotv years ago. I use Free-to-air both in my home and office. Free-to-air gives me over 600 channels including most of the channels DSTV and GOtv offer, so why should I throw away thousands of Naira every Month when I spent less than 20k on the Free-to-air?

Can you share your knowledge about this?
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Ogagawhite(f): 9:54pm On May 31, 2020
Thank GOD say free to air still Dey work

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by texazzpete(m): 9:57pm On May 31, 2020
Nigerians are greedy Sha.

DSTV compact Plus gives you ALL the football you need and most channels. For N10925. Approximately $28 per month.

That's a steal, truth be told. Globally, Most sports + TV packages are pricey and cost much more than that.

The price is fair.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by xcelentattitude(m): 9:58pm On May 31, 2020
ntgaep:

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

None of neither MultiChoice, DStv or GOtv is raping you, as you have claimed.

The company, as a legal and lawful entity operating in Nigeria, is only implementing the law as encapsulated in the Finance Act, 2019.

In case you are not aware, the law raised VAT rate from 5% to 7.5%, meaning a 2.5% increment was made law.

Now, multiChoice bore the increment for subscribers for 4 months. You must admit that even in difficult times such as this, that was a noble gesture from the company.

However, Father Christmas does not hand over gifts all through the year. Therefore, you are bound as a Nigerian to pay the legislated amount of tax, and so you must.

I am sure you're not one of those lazy youths, so you can pick up a calculator and determine if the new prices reflect the VAT rate or it was an exorbitant upward review of prices.

Merci!

Hmm..... Understood.

Thumbs up!

I love how you made your point without name calling. Makes me believe there are still intelligent people on nairaland.
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by Cassie74: 10:00pm On May 31, 2020
kemji47:

Its neither NCC nor NBC. Its the federal govt. VAT was increased hence the price increase.

They were talking about DSTV's Regulator.. Just corrected the mistake.. NBC is the regulator not NCC
Re: Nigerians Groan, Protest DSTV/GOTV Tariff Increase by rubi96(f): 10:00pm On May 31, 2020
Since April, I haven't subscribed to Dstv and they been disturbing me. Na to lock up now o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Pictures Of TSTV Decoders Ready For Distribution November 1 / Kiddwaya Unfollows Nengi And Dorathy After They Labelled Him "Dirty Guy". (pixs) / Our Own Area Cartoon Series.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.