Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale (463 Views)

Memes Of An Ex-corper (this Will Make Your Day) / Meet Progress Oberiko, Ex Corper Brought The Lunatic Family Of 5 To Limelight / Tall Male Corper & A Short Female Corper: "When Goliath Finally Meets David" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by mrdemdem(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2020
I came, didn't see though, but I conquered regardless. You see, I'm one of the very few uncommon corp members passing out today. Blind, restrictive but relentless.

When I lost my sight and later enrolled into a special school for the blind, I honestly thought I had simply settled in for a training on how to read and write braille. I thought that would be the height of the formal education I, being a blind person, could get. Then on one of my early days in the school, in between my chatters with an older colleague, I learnt that there's a college of education specially instituted for the disabled where we, the blind, can attend if we want a higher education. The name of the college is Federal College of Education, Oyo (SPED). As a student of my special school, if you could proceed to the college after the completion of your special training, you're very fortunate.

And so I wanted this higher education so badly. I wanted to attend this special college and get my NCE certificate. I didn't just want to learn braille and typing, I wanted an advanced knowledge, the type I was sure I could acquire in the special college.

Whenever visitors, humanitarians came to visit us in the special school, our principal would always appeal to them for a scholarship that could see one or few of us, his students, through higher education at the special college.

He would say: "please ma, please sir. Many of our students here are very intelligent, but have parents who are financially handicapped. This school will appreciate if you could award a scholarship for the best minds here so they could get the opportunity to further their education at SPED" .

So, subconsciously, it got registered in my mind that my only option for a tertiary education is the college. Because my school is located at Ogbomoso, some good students of LAUTECH would come for a visit with gifts and relief materials, address us with very fine grammar and clap wildly for any twenty-something year old blind students who had managed to define Noun as a name of any pelson, animal, case or tin.

I loved those university students. I admired their sophistication and fluent, flawless way of speaking oyinbo. I would always struggle to speak to them, shake their silky hands and have them validate my little intelligence. And so I wanted to be like them, but blindness wouldn't let me. I can only attend the special college, so I thought.

Curious enquiries on blind students and their education from some outsiders exposed me to another option for acquiring higher education. I got to know that my kind, the blind, can equally go to the university to study. So I made it my dream. It became a paramount priority. I wanted the kind of exposure, sophistication displayed by our LAUTECH visitors. I wanted to speak english like them and make someone else's head spin, just as they did to me.

I followed the steps on how I could gain admission into the university, and I was eventually admitted to study Mass Communication at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. It was the first good thing that happened to me since the day I bade goodbye to a colourful world. So I started learning the profession of the press guys.

I studied my course with great passion and vigour. I didn't have it easy in the university as it was not instituted specially for the disabled like the special college, but I was able to tune out the challenges. I knew my only tool of standing tall and prominent in this world that is seemingly set up for only the able-bodied- is quality education, hence I gave it my all and graduated excellently from the university.

It was time for NYSC and guess where I was posted to? The special college of education where I would have attended, collected my NCE certificate and never got the chance to partake in the national youth service. You know, NCE holders don't go for NYSC.

And today, I'm passing out with thousands of fellow youth corp members across the country. Today, I'm getting certified as one who has successfully completed the NYSC scheme. And lest I forget, I now have the kind of exposure, sophistication and can also speak english language intelligently like those LAUTECH students of my special school days. �

Moral of my epistle? No matter the challenge, always strive for the best.

Ladies and gentlemen, permit me to introduce you to Demola Adeleke, the latest ex corper in Nigeria smiley

Please help push to front page.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by JasonScoolari: 7:58am On May 31, 2020
If you can see this, Jason is so proud of you bro...

Only Congratulations is permitted in your life henceforth.

God bless you Demola.

4 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by Babesperfect(f): 8:00am On May 31, 2020
Good one
Keep fighting

2 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by majamajic(m): 8:02am On May 31, 2020
Wow , congrats
I wish u all the best ahead

2 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by Nobody: 8:07am On May 31, 2020
Wow. You write so well.

some good students of LAUTECH would come for a visit with gifts and relief materials, address us with very fine grammar and clap wildly for any twenty-something year old blind students who had managed to define Noun as a name of any pelson, animal, case or tin.
Love your humour as well.

Greater heights.

2 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by nepapole(m): 8:10am On May 31, 2020
Congratulations bro! May you continue to succeed in all you lay ur hands on... Amen!

2 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by Vyzz: 8:11am On May 31, 2020
We thank God

2 Likes

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by mrdemdem(m): 8:18am On May 31, 2020
Don't know why the pictures aren't uploading cry.

Anyway, thanks everyone kiss
Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by toyotamuscle: 8:23am On May 31, 2020
hi nairaland, for all your website and blog needs you can reach out to Emerson digital company.At Emerson digital we offer services ranging from business websites to E commerce websites, blogs, logo design and seo.we will build a website for you at a low cost of 45, 000 naira only.we are based is abuja.call or chat on whatsapp on 08089411836.
Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by rentAcock(m): 8:33am On May 31, 2020
I just want you to know that you are destined for greatness. You have beaten all odds to be where you are today. You write very eloquently and I believe you will excel in any path you choose in life.

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: ”thought I Couldn't Go To Uni, Now I'm An Ex-corper"; A Blind Nairalander's Tale by illicit(m): 10:16am On May 31, 2020
Wherever you are, I am proud of you....

(1) (Reply)

Twentyxpro Is Changing Lifes / If You Are Planning To Serve In Lagos Get In Here / IMPORTANT!!!! The Shocking Things That Happened During My NYSC!! True-life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.