Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform (590 Views)

Islamic Preacher: Men Who Don't Grow Beards Are Luring Others To Homosexuality / Islam's Position On Homosexuality / From The Shackle Of The Sin Of Homosexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 5:12pm On May 31, 2020
Tanzimat reform was under the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century. It decriminalised homosexuality amidst a bunch of other reforms. How do you view this as a Muslim?

1 Like

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 6:02pm On May 31, 2020
The discrimination! must have been a mercy to them.
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 6:03pm On May 31, 2020
aadoiza:
The discrimination! must have been a mercy to them.

Huh?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 6:05pm On May 31, 2020
LordReed:

Huh?
What?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 6:42pm On May 31, 2020
aadoiza:

What?

What discrimination are you talking about?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 7:05pm On May 31, 2020
LordReed:

What discrimination are you talking about?
Yeeh! Pardon my mistake. I read the heading wrong.
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by sulasa07(m): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
LordReed:
Tanzimat reform was under the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century. It decriminalised homosexuality amidst a bunch of other reforms. How do you view this as a Muslim?
As long as the Qur'an isn't changing,the law is the law, Empires come and go.There are claims most of the Empire Leaders were Homos and Hypocritical.Just like today's Tayyip Erdogan.
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 12:30am On Jun 02, 2020
LordReed:

I'm not actually familiar with this event, but as far as Islam goes guidance is only from Allah and his Messenger SAW. Islam does not dance to the tunes of individuals, or civilisations. If Allah says it's lawful then it's lawful, and if He says it's forbidden then it's forbidden, no questions asked, no Yoruba Yoruba. As a matter of fact, Saudi can go ahead and declare homo lawful it still won't change a thing to true Muslims. Geddit?

2 Likes

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by IMAliyu(m): 6:14pm On Jun 02, 2020
I haven't found much in depth information on this.

But I remember someone on r/izlam explaining it as they decriminalised homosexuality being that having a same-sex sexual attraction was not a crime and not punished, but sodomy was still a crime and punished according to Islamic law.
I'm not sure if this is correct though.

Islam and most Muslim societies are openly anti-homosexual and that's no secret
Now my personal though on is, I'm rather neutral on the subject. The ottomans did what they did for their own reasons.

My commentary on homosexuality.
The libertarian leaning side of myself holds the opinion that no government or authority should interfere in an individual's private life as long as they don't interfere with someone else's life or cause harm to another. From this position is where I view homosexuality, if their activities are proven to affect the community, society and everyone negatively, then criminalisation and punishment makes sense (even though attraction isn't something that's under your voluntary control), but if not, why should you care & why do you want to control someone else?

We don't really know the cause of homosexuality and neither can we cure it, attempts have been made, but they weren't humane and weren't successful. And every society to exist has had gay people openly or secretly, and killing or imprisoning all of them is not the solution. This is the reality of the matter. I'm not a fan of acceptance culture that comes from the west, but this is something we have to confront.

1 Like

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 9:26pm On Jun 02, 2020
aadoiza:

I'm not actually familiar with this event, but as far as Islam goes guidance is only from Allah and his Messenger SAW. Islam does not dance to the tunes of individuals, or civilisations. If Allah says it's lawful then it's lawful, and if He says it's forbidden then it's forbidden, no questions asked, no Yoruba Yoruba. As a matter of fact, Saudi can go ahead and declare homo lawful it still won't change a thing to true Muslims. Geddit?

So you won't complain if the same thing happened here in Nigeria?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 9:26pm On Jun 02, 2020
sulasa07:

As long as the Qur'an isn't changing,the law is the law, Empires come and go.There are claims most of the Empire Leaders were Homos and Hypocritical.Just like today's Tayyip Erdogan.

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 9:29pm On Jun 02, 2020
IMAliyu:
I haven't found much in depth information on this.

But I remember someone on r/izlam explaining it as they decriminalised homosexuality being that having a same-sex sexual attraction was not a crime and not punished, but sodomy was still a crime and punished according to Islamic law.
I'm not sure if this is correct though.

Islam and most Muslim societies are openly anti-homosexual and that's no secret
Now my personal though on is, I'm rather neutral on the subject. The ottomans did what they did for their own reasons.

My commentary on homosexuality.
The libertarian leaning side of myself holds the opinion that no government or authority should interfere in an individual's private life as long as they don't interfere with someone else's life or cause harm to another. From this position is where I view homosexuality, if their activities are proven to affect the community, society and everyone negatively, then criminalisation and punishment makes sense (even though attraction isn't something that's under your voluntary control), but if not, why should you care & why do you want to control someone else?

We don't really know the cause of homosexuality and neither can we cure it, attempts have been made, but they weren't humane and weren't successful. And every society to exist has had gay people openly or secretly, and killing or imprisoning all of them is not the solution. This is the reality of the matter. I'm not a fan of acceptance culture that comes from the west, but this is something we have to confront.

As an side what do think is a solution to homosexuals in the society at large if you don't want acceptance?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by IMAliyu(m): 10:51pm On Jun 02, 2020
LordReed:

As an side what do think is a solution to homosexuals in the society at large if you don't want acceptance?
I don't mind decriminalisation, but I don't think a traditionalist society like ours is going to accept it or the societal normalisation of it.

So live and let live?

I said I'm not a fan of the "acceptance culture" and not accepting things on a case by case basis. When we let acceptance to run loose we end up in weird places.
E.g. in some parts of the west, the idea of gender being separate from biological sex and we have people coming up with their own pronounce, the infinite number of genders. Some calling for the acceptance of pedos and incest...
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2020
IMAliyu:

I don't mind decriminalisation, but I don't think a traditionalist society like ours is going to accept it or the societal normalisation of it.

So live and let live?

I said I'm not a fan of the "acceptance culture" not accepting things on a case by case basis. When we let acceptance to run loose we end up in weird places.
E.g. in some parts of the west, the idea of gender being separate from biological sex and we have people coming up with their own pronounce, the infinite number of genders. Some calling for the acceptance of pedos and incest...

Sounds reasonable.
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by sulasa07(m): 5:00am On Jun 03, 2020
LordReed:

This is Nigeria,it won't happen
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 10:05am On Jun 03, 2020
sulasa07:

So you think. Social mores change all the time, just take a look at the baby mama thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by tintingz(m): 6:01pm On Jun 03, 2020
sulasa07:

Why do you think so?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by sulasa07(m): 6:09pm On Jun 03, 2020
tintingz:

Why do you think so?
Just still believing so but we already have Bobrisky,Adenrele and others among us,I know they are crossdressers but most crossdressers are gay
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2020
LordReed:

I might not, provided it's not turned into some sorta agenda.
My biggest problem with homosexuality is not that some people do it (people do a lot of weird stuff) but that a supposedly civilised people are bent on normalising it. Some people are turd eaters, therefore coprophagy should be normalised right?

Whatever wierd crap you relish doing keep it under wraps. Simple!
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 10:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
aadoiza:

I might not, provided it's not turned into some sorta agenda.
My biggest problem with homosexuality is not that some people do it (people do a lot of weird stuff) but that a supposedly civilised people are bent on normalising it. Some people are turd eaters, therefore coprophagy should be normalised right?

Whatever wierd crap you relish doing keep it under wraps. Simple!

The reason for the need to normalize it is because people use it as an excuse to deny other peoples rights.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 1:10am On Jun 05, 2020
LordReed:

The reason for the need to normalize it is because people use it as an excuse to deny other peoples rights.
How's that even possible if you don't go around telling people about your deviant way of life?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 9:04am On Jun 05, 2020
aadoiza:

How's that even possible if you don't go around telling people about your deviant way of life?

Prejudicial criminalizing it is a denial of rights. Do you need to announce it before it is known? Does a man need to announce he is sleeping with a sex worker when he is seen with her in a hotel?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 2:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
LordReed:

Prejudicial criminalizing it is a denial of rights. Do you need to announce it before it is known? Does a man need to announce he is sleeping with a sex worker when he is seen with her in a hotel?
Do you think we were really oblivious of such deviant inclination as homosexuality. We were well aware of it Ll right, and we detested and despiced it, but looked the other way.
The prejudicial criminalizing Is merely a ramification of homosexuality being weaponized and made a social engineering tool.
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2020
aadoiza:

Do you think we were really oblivious of such deviant inclination as homosexuality. We were well aware of it Ll right, and we detested and despiced it, but looked the other way.
The prejudicial criminalizing Is merely a ramification of homosexuality being weaponized and made a social engineering tool.

Weaponized in what way? How is it a being made into a social engineering tool?

1 Like

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
LordReed:

Weaponized in what way? How is it a being made into a social engineering tool?
A few years ago, Desmond the amazing (whatever he's called), a drag kid, performed in a bar full of gay people but the world moved on without raising an eyebrow. Now, imagine a bar full of normal guys watching and drinking to a female minor twerking, I'm sure the headlines would be earth shattering.
That's weaponization, mate. They can do as they like, and normal people dare not slate them for fear of being tagged homophobic.

Social Engineering: Do not tell me you haven't come across suggestions to normal people to try out homosexuality. Or why are kids suddenly encouraged to choose their gender, after having been born a particular gender?
Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by LordReed(m): 10:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
aadoiza:

A few years ago, Desmond the amazing (whatever he's called), a drag kid, performed in a bar full of gay people but the world moved on without raising an eyebrow. Now, imagine a bar full of normal guys watching and drinking to a female minor twerking, I'm sure the headlines would be earth shattering.
That's weaponization, mate. They can do as they like, and normal people dare not slate them for fear of being tagged homophobic.

You cannot compare a child actor who happens to be gay with a minor being used for sexual fetishes, not even in the same ball park.

Social Engineering: Do not tell me you haven't come across suggestions to normal people to try out homosexuality. Or why are kids suddenly encouraged to choose their gender, after having been born a particular gender?

No I have never seen any suggestion to heterosexuals to try homosexuality. Can you show me an example?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do U View The Decriminalisation Of Homosexuality During The Tanzimat Reform by aadoiza: 6:35pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

You cannot compare a child actor who happens to be gay with a minor being used for sexual fetishes, not even in the same ball park.

Is a minor supposed to be in a bar? Are there not old-enough gay men they could have hired fur their entertainment?

No I have never seen any suggestion to heterosexuals to try homosexuality. Can you show me an example?
Funny you haven't. If I come across such again I will post it here.
When I was a lad, I thought I was a computer grin. I still remember one of my big sis saying "no, you're not a computer". But these days if a child thinks their opposite gender, they're proded into taking hormones to ease them into becoming that. Shame!. All of a sudden, minors can act legally, only when they decide to switch genders. What happens to "wait till the age of 18"? I guess it's only relevant if the civilised people say so.

(1) (Reply)

Ramadan Kareem / Is Islam A Violent Religion / 60 Beautiful Mosques

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.