Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (46844 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by VickyRotex(f): 1:14am On Jun 02, 2020
BABANGBALI:
My brother I won't advice you to leave your work for now, going into business is very risky moreover 2 million naira is nothing in Nigeria of today. I made the same mistake when vickyrotex advised me to leave my job at NNPC and go into cement business. Today na lamentation level I dey o, meanwhile NNPC was paying me 2.5 million per month then

Quote me when you reach Malachi! cool cool

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by nitt: 1:19am On Jun 02, 2020
@op sincere advice.

don't quit, keep saving...

at the nearest possible time, buy a land in a developing area.. build 2-3 mini flats for rent.

keep one within or outside the flats for yourself.

once you achieve this, if u r tired of the stressful banking job, budget 500k to buy a federal govt slot.

resign and move to the less stressful govt job (preferably lecturing) use the spare time to go into a business u r passionate about.

I know of someone who worked in this top banks earning similar amount as u are. he followed this plan above, saw it through in 10 years.

Na big boy now, he earns govt pay, collects his rent every new year and has peace of mind.

all the best

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Gosamezu: 1:31am On Jun 02, 2020
If you can call it a good bank job, then, why must you quit.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by blackjack21(m): 1:33am On Jun 02, 2020
FivePeas:
I think you're being too hasty and would appeal to you not to make a hasty decision that will cause you damage because you sound like someone who's about to react ( from negative reactions ) rather than someone who's about to embark on a well planned action. There's a difference. Trust me I know.

I qualify to give you sound counsel as a business operator and would like to discredit any thoughts of you quitting you job because of your savings.

Let's take it step by step

1. Financial security is important. Can you reduce your monthly expenses and boost your savings so you can save let's say 300k monthly, which in six months gives you an approximate of another 2 Million Naira

2. Start the process of setting up a business while you're still employed. This way you can weigh the options if it's for you or not. And can easily convert your salaries towards the establishment of the business

3. Do not quit your job until you've had a well to Houghton out business plan and have put it into effect. Remember money is just half the equation, the other half the business

4. Be more tolerant rather than being irritated because things aren't working for you from a place of convenience. Start thinking positive thoughts about the positives of your job. I'm sure it can't be all negative. Whatever it's costing you, give yourself the opportunity to reflect and tell yourself giving it six more months for proper planning won't do you harm

5. Get a second accommodation closer to work. So you can shuttle between both ends. Friday home till Sunday. Have you considered this?

the brain on you, I throway salute yakata.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by kakashi12(m): 1:37am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

I really need an advice. I currently work with one of the Nigerian banks. My monthly take home is about 450k and quite good. My major problem right now is that I have just been transferred from a Branch at one end of Lagos to another end of Lagos. All efforts to convince my boss to deploy me to a closer branch has proved abortive.

Going to work daily right now is a very difficult especially during this raining season and covid 19th period. I spend roughly 3-4 hours on the road when going to work and back home.

I am currently raising my kids on my own right now and dont know how I would manage when school resumes. Before now I drop them off on my way to work in the morning and my friend picks them up to her house in the afternoon till I get back.

I currently have a savings of 2million and would love to start a biz( I dont know what kind) as am comptemplating resigning and start a biz instead so that I can have time for my kids and not die due to stress

Please i really need advice for you all.
Do not resign your job. Why not make alternative arrangements for accomodation.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Ewedegubbler: 1:41am On Jun 02, 2020
if you are an Igbo man and possibly from Anambra or Enugu state, I say go for it because its already in your blood. if not please stick to your job for now.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:48am On Jun 02, 2020
FivePeas:
I think you're being too hasty and would appeal to you not to make a hasty decision that will cause you damage because you sound like someone who's about to react ( from negative reactions ) rather than someone who's about to embark on a well planned action. There's a difference. Trust me I know.

I qualify to give you sound counsel as a business operator and would like to discredit any thoughts of you quitting you job because of your savings.

1. Financial security is important. Can you reduce your monthly expenses and boost your savings so you can save let's say 300k monthly, which in six months gives you an approximate of another 2 Million Naira

2. Start the process of setting up a business while you're still employed. This way you can weigh the options if it's for you or not. And can easily convert your salaries towards the establishment of the business

3. Do not quit your job until you've had a well to Houghton out business plan and have put it into effect. Remember money is just half the equation, the other half the business

4. Be more tolerant rather than being irritated because things aren't working for you from a place of convenience. Start thinking positive thoughts about the positives of your job. I'm sure it can't be all negative. Whatever it's costing you, give yourself the opportunity to reflect and tell yourself giving it six more months for proper planning won't do you harm

5. Get a second accommodation closer to work. So you can shuttle between both ends. Friday home till Sunday. Have you considered this?

Spot on.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by es144000: 2:07am On Jun 02, 2020
Start something first before leaving.Business is not easy.Have something going first if possible.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by sunshine1974(m): 2:10am On Jun 02, 2020
FivePeas:

with sensible people like you still left in this country, then there is hope for this country

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by DanjaNinja(m): 2:13am On Jun 02, 2020
FivePeas:

You are wise. God bless you for this advise.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by deltateam: 2:20am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

I really need an advice. I currently work with one of the Nigerian banks. My monthly take home is about 450k and quite good. My major problem right now is that I have just been transferred from a Branch at one end of Lagos to another end of Lagos. All efforts to convince my boss to deploy me to a closer branch has proved abortive.

Going to work daily right now is a very difficult especially during this raining season and covid 19th period. I spend roughly 3-4 hours on the road when going to work and back home.

I am currently raising my kids on my own right now and dont know how I would manage when school resumes. Before now I drop them off on my way to work in the morning and my friend picks them up to her house in the afternoon till I get back.

I currently have a savings of 2million and would love to start a biz( I dont know what kind) as am comptemplating resigning and start a biz instead so that I can have time for my kids and not die due to stress

I use God beg you not to make that big MISTAKE.

You think #2 million is big until you enter a business which is 50:50.

#450k is very considerable in this era. That you have not been relieved is a miracle. Resigning to me is being ungrateful to God.
There's always a way around those things you mentioned. I believe you have a car or can afford one even if it's second hand economic car like 1996 Honda accord that looks decent.

You can hire a driver from a reputable driving school.

Remember that you can be scammed of that #2 million. What will you now tell your children?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by spiritedtete: 2:26am On Jun 02, 2020
2 million pere... you wanr resign... lol. And you pay school fees and rent... what biz do you want to do to start earning 450 monthly asap.... ?

Please that mind deceiving is your village people o.

Do not try this.... because when you see Saturday you will call it monday o.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Mutemenot(m): 2:47am On Jun 02, 2020
If 2m is all you could save from 450k monthly job, my dear you aren't good for any business . Don't even think of resigning cos that 2m 'll vanish in the next 2 months .
Consider how to relocate if possible or get a good maid to assist you with your kids sch runz
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Adeife05(m): 2:52am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Please Ma as at least for now don't quit your job, work more for at least one more year at least by then and will have more capital to finance ur future business plan. If you save 300k per month out of 450k in another year you will have 3.6M if you have add to the 2M you already have its 5.6M, With that money u can start at good business to cater for u and your children.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Niccoloimhotep: 3:02am On Jun 02, 2020
@op, i feel like slapping you with wooden shoe. Just 2 million saved and you want to quit a job of 450k when you have kids to feed. As a banker, i expect you to be financially intelligent. I live and work in ibadan with a multinational company and currently have over 6M saved up in physical cash asides my gratuity and pension which is close to about 6M, yet i dare not contemplate quitting my job without grooming a business over the years to perfection. Imagine 2M, living in high cost lagos with kids and quitting a job of 450k for an unknown business, i swear your village people have already started meeting on your matter.
Awo lo .....

3 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by od501: 3:15am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

I don't wanna be wordy here. Don't quit, i repeat do not quit!
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by AristocraticMe: 3:46am On Jun 02, 2020
FivePeas:

Wise advice. Nice one.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Jabioro: 3:54am On Jun 02, 2020
Something dey worry you..you think say outside now easy..make you no try that nonsense of quitting your job..get a new accommodation,get an avoidable school closer to your new home for the children..and save money,get experience ,be more patient...
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by azpekuliar: 3:57am On Jun 02, 2020
RenaissanceGuy:
I don't know how long you've been earning ₦450K, but having a paltry ₦2m in saving is quite low. Think about that in relation to the business you're planning on starting.

He is raIsing his kids alone. You know how much school fees be now?
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by deenee: 3:58am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

My honest advice, please keep your bank job for now. 3-4 hours commute to and fro work is a normal routine for most people in Lagos-self employed or otherwise.

Entrepreneurship is not an easy route in Nigeria especially when you are starting up. Besides 2m is really nothing depending on the kind of business you have in mind.

I will suggest you try and work around creating a balance so you can still retain your job at keast for now, have significant savings, have a full proof plan on what you want yo do as an entrepreneur before resigning.

Leaving a 450k per month job simply because you can't cope with a 3-4 hour daily commute esp in the midst of all the economic uncertainty is a really bad move. Starting a business with meagre funds might even be more stressful.

We are headed for a recession in the country because of covid 19+ oil price crash and consumer spending will be affected negatively along side rising inflation.

You can also consider moving closer to your new place of work to reduce the daily commute.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by FivePeas: 3:59am On Jun 02, 2020
Harmlesspill:
You talk sense!!!
You're good,,man!!

Can I talk to you about something,,, how do I get to you??

Send a mail to Tradecorner7@gmail.com
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by MrFly(m): 3:59am On Jun 02, 2020
do u have a shop opposite where u live? Instead of managing the situation u are here complaining. Maybe we can exchange yours with mine. If na fed govt job wey them go transfer u from Edo to Jigawa wetin u go do

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Ibkay32(m): 4:00am On Jun 02, 2020
Impostor:

So that you can kidnap them? Please poster ignore any such posts online pls

ode you think everyone be like you and your generation...bad mind thinker get off my post
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by InvertedHammer: 4:01am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

/
Common N50k/month jobs, stadium dey fill.
Na im you want throway N450k/month job on top stress.

I will advise that you stay away from any communication with your village people. They have remembered you.

Most people are worried about unemployment but you are worried about your ego. SMH.

What am I saying? Resign. I believe in tough love.

/
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by biobash(m): 4:12am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Personally, I don't think quitting should be the solution now, the business you want to ventured into, do you have requisite experience?

You can test the waters by start it alongside your job and see how you will fare, even if it is only on weekend basis. Looking for an apartment close to your work place might not be visible due to the expenses you will incur.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Geonigga(m): 4:19am On Jun 02, 2020
My sincere advice to you is never you resign your job. Now what you should do in order to lessen the stress you are passing through currently is to seek for an accommodation close to your office and also get a school for your kids in the same axis. Someone has already suggested getting a maid or house boy from a reliable professional agency, I think you can also heed to that.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Zhirinovsky: 4:45am On Jun 02, 2020
Don't resign now. Start a business while still working. Get someone to manage it and monitor every inch of the business process. How the business turns up in like 6 months will determine if you will resign or not.
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by kayprinz(m): 4:54am On Jun 02, 2020
Business is not all about huge capital you can start small you can check your area and look for problem you can solve then start from there . You can also start business like selling of watches, clothes and other things to you colleagues so that you can able to Mastermind business strategies,don't quit your job look for a trustworthy person or betterstill look for an organizations that deal on that aspect employ he or she to run your business for you till you are bouyant enough to quit
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by mimicue(f): 5:10am On Jun 02, 2020
Please don’t quit your job yet . Because you won’t be able to live with that standard . Starting business with 2m is a small money especially in this Covid 19 era where dollar is even high and the risk of not making money is sure for now . This isn’t even a good time to start any new business . All you need is cash now , it’s those that have cash that are kings now .

However with someone earning 450k . Your savings are really small, you need to try Nd save more money, although I don’t know the bills you’re paying so I can’t judge why you have small savings . But for business considerations in the future concerning your level , business even takes time to grow , before you will begin to even see profit can take a whole year , please stay with your job for now , rent a house closer to your place of work or get a driver and a well qualified older nanny that will take care of your children for you . For now rule out business till you’re ready and have enough money and business plan in place

Please don’t quit o, as a business person I will tell you that . You can’t make profit of 450k from a 2million Naira business for now , you will even notice that in the early stage you’re pumping more money into it to stabilize the business . Before you now begin to even see your initial capital on the business could take up to a year or more . For someone with children and bills can you start with that struggle?

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by berbs: 5:11am On Jun 02, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Rent a self contain in a relatively affordable area close to the bank with a decent environment and go back home weekends. You'll be fine.

However, if you are a lady and married, I don't know how else to advice you.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by kentzz(f): 5:14am On Jun 02, 2020
Start the business n ensure it's stable before resigning since you've not been sacked..
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by dayoade200: 5:15am On Jun 02, 2020
Pls don't leave your job now. You have to plan yourself wella before you quit. No business you ll start now and give you back 450k in a month as gain. You have to be build the business before you can make a good gain from it. 2million is a big money but believe me when you put it into a business without a good plan it ll just go off before you know. Pls have a rethink. You can get a small accommodation close to your new place of work. I think that ll help you more better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Female Graduate Hawks Food In Abuja (Photos) / Dr. Wendy Okolo, First Black Woman To Bag A Phd In Aerospace Engineering / Jamila Malafa, The First Northern Female General Appointed By The Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.