Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks (37754 Views)

Barcelona Fans Pay Tribute To Asisat Oshoala With A Moment Of Applause / Liverpool Squad Knelt In Honour Of George Floyd / Manchester United Stars Pay Emotional Tribute To Wayne Rooney (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by ogbiwa: 6:15am On Jun 01, 2020
England forward Jadon Sancho was among a number of sports stars adding their voice to worldwide protests against racism on Sunday.

Protests have been held after George Floyd, an unarmed black man, died while being restrained by Minneapolis police.

Sancho unveiled a 'Justice for George Floyd' T-shirt after scoring for Borussia Dortmund against Paderborn.

Earlier, Marcus Thuram took a knee after scoring for Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Sancho, who scored a hat-trick as Dortmund thrashed Paderborn 6-1, was shown a yellow card for the gesture.

Sancho later wrote on Instagram: "Delighted to get my first career hat trick, a bittersweet moment personally as there are more important things going on in the world today that we must address and help make a change.

"We shouldn't fear speaking out for what's right, we have to come together as one & fight for justice. We are stronger together! #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd."

Floyd died in police custody on Monday after white officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on his neck for almost nine minutes to pin him down.

Chauvin has since been charged with his murder and sacked.

What are other sports stars saying?

American tennis player Serena Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, shared a lengthy post on Instagram.

Underneath a video of a young black girl asking why she is treated differently to others because of her skin colour, a "heavy-hearted" Williams wrote that she was "lost for words".

Two-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka wrote on Twitter: "Just because it isn't happening to you doesn't mean it isn't happening at all."

Teenager Coco Gauff, who had a fairytale run at Wimbledon in 2019, urged her Twitter followers to "demand justice for George Floyd".

The 16-year-old posted the faces of black Americans who died in recent years at the hands of authorities or white fellow citizens, asking: "Am I next?"

Coco Gauff posted the image on Instagram, with the caption: "When will it stop? When will we be seen as human and not a threat?"

Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster wrote a lengthy post on Twitter: "This is way deeper than just pointing out who's staying quiet and whose speaking up."

Brewster, who has previously spoken about the racist abuse he has suffered, continued: "For years and generations, we've been screaming out for change and to be heard, yet the pain continues.

"We don't want special privilege. A level playing field is all we have been crying for, forever.

"Hear us. #BlackLivesMatter."

Vanessa Bryant, the widow of basketball legend Kobe, shared an image of her husband wearing an 'I Can't Breathe' t-shirt.

"My husband wore this shirt years ago and yet here we are again," she wrote.

"Life is so fragile. Life is so unpredictable. Life is too short."

Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton criticised those in his industry for not speaking out.

"I'm one of the only people of colour and yet I stand alone," the Briton, 35, wrote on his Instagram story.

"I would have thought by now you would see why this happens and say something about it but you can't stand alongside us."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/52871279

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by logon599: 6:16am On Jun 01, 2020
If George Floyd was white and the cop who killed him was black, I wonder the kind of reaction this would've been generating. Just me and my thoughts.

MODIFIED
For those quoting me with bile and vile, I would urge you to calm down and revisit your quotes. My comment has nothing to do with maltreatment of blacks or not. My comment is simply flipping a narrative to see a possible outcome in such eventuality. It has nothing to do with blacks vs whites.
While I fully understand the sensitivity of the topic and the kind of heated passion it's bound to generate, I also think that venting that passion on an all black Nigerian forum is hypocrisy and counter productive. @Donald Trump's or @Minnesota police Twitter handles would be a more suitable place to start with venting your anger. Have a productive day

Martowskin1
GeneralPula
BabaO2
Wman
Rebelutionary

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by bolaayenimo: 7:49am On Jun 01, 2020
That's the most gruesome killing I have seen In recent times. Thank God for camera. They would have lied they did it self defense.

When will the killer cop be taken to court?

138 Likes 7 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by WuzzyTech: 7:49am On Jun 01, 2020
..It was cold blooded murder Sha

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by bigstan11787(m): 7:49am On Jun 01, 2020
I pray this bring a revolutionary change in American and the world at large.

RIP

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by bigstan11787(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
The. Thing that baffles me is the way Nigerians carry the matter for their head like jerry coil..and the one that happens right under their nose, they just keep quiet.

Let me not mention the word hypocrisy sha

97 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Algold: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
It is a crime to be black in America, it is a bigger crime to be poor in Nigeria.

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by danoghene: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
So sad
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by bigstan11787(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
Forever in our heart

3 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
I was surprised that we Nigerians carry the matter for head self

Police has been killing innocent people in Nigeria no protest
Our own no de pass social media

I wish we can learn from these guys

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by athaboi(f): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
When do we also start paying tribute to the tribalism, religionism, ethnic bigotry here in Nigeria bcoz is as dangerous as racism if not worse

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by lekki1444: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
When you stop this your nonsense get rich or die trying bling bling flossing debauchery hedonistic destructive get 1 million tattoo all over my body wear all the gold jewellery black culture

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by GIDIBANKZ(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
It is well
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by nrexzy: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
Black lives matter....
We are tired of all these white supremacist... They have stolen our culture, re-written our histories, enslaved us with Religion and still Taking our lifes.....

#beingblackisntacrime
#blacklivesmatter
#justiceforgeorgefloyd
#saynotorasicm

6 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Nemesis0147(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
hmm
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by frankblinkz(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2020
Good gesture,i pray fifa don't come for the young lad..
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by wman(m): 7:51am On Jun 01, 2020
logon599:
If George Floyd was white and the cop who killed him was black, I wonder the kind of reaction this would've been generating. Just me and my thoughts

Bro, please don't even go there. It has been happening to blacks for so long, and nothing is been done.

The police respect you as a white more than a black.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Mawex(m): 7:51am On Jun 01, 2020
This is getting worse, but I hope it stops for good, blacks aren't threat, when will they understand that.

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by 9jayes: 7:51am On Jun 01, 2020
GIDIBANKZ:
It is well

My brother it is very well.

$50 - $5000 BTC, PayPal, Payoneer, CashApp or Fiverr funds needed at ur rate
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Sacchi1162(m): 7:52am On Jun 01, 2020
Sancho displayed his outfit yesterday. US is in chaos. Trump is playing fire with fire
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by tillaman(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
cool
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Righteousness89(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
The Protest should be about the Unnecessary Killings going on from Continent to Continent!

Lives in Nigeria are slaughtered like chicken because of their Faith...

Until Humanity return to GOD in Humility and We Completely Surrender to HIM we will keep seeing this Evils..

Human life has Suddenly become Valueless..

We need Conscious Action not Just talk.

The World needs to Return to GOD and do away with Abominations and Wickedness

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Iwillsurvivedis: 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
buju banton lyrics to "murderer"

Murderer
Blood is on your shoulders
Kill I today you cannot kill I tomorrow
Murder
Your insides must be hollow
How does it feel to take the life of another
Murderer
Murder
Yes, you can hide from man but not your conscience
You eat the bread of sorrow drink the wine of violence
Allow yourself to be conquered by the serpent
Why did you disobey the first commandment
Walk through the valley I feel no pestilence
God is my witness and he is my evidence
Lift up mine eyes from whence cometh help
You coulda never escape this judgement
Murderer
Murder
Murderer
Murder
I tell you, all men are created equal
But behind the trigger it's a different sequel
Some are murdering people to collect medals
Stop committing dirty acts for the high officials
You could wash your hands until you can't wash them any more
It is like an epidemic and you won't find a cure
Upper class you could be rich, middle class wheter you are poor
Only the righteous won't feel insecure
Have you ever thought about your skill getting bored
Murderer
Murder
Murderer
Murder
Drinking sulphur bitters won't bitter like your end
Only God can help you, no family or friend
Don't let the curse be upon your children's children
Abdenigo, Shadreck, Meshek, Daniel in the eden
Jonah in the whale's belly, but he was never condemned
Job with the leprosy, and he still reached heaven
He will do for you everything He has done for them.
Murderer
Murder
Murderer
Murder

8 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by martowskin1(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
logon599:
If George Floyd was white and the cop who killed him was black, I wonder the kind of reaction this would've been generating. Just me and my thoughts

take ur thought and jump into a lagoon....

foolish Nigeria youth, go and read the history of black and see what they went through.... because u have cheap data and Andriod phone shouldn't stop u from adding sensors to your thought

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by HantaVirus(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
Until we blacks start to realize that we are the superior race, we would be treated like animals... According to Kanye west, Slavery is a choice...People came for him for saying that but to me,thats one of the greatest thing I've heard from a black man since the days of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

9 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by bigstan11787(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
bolaayenimo:
That's the most gruesome killing I have seen In recent times. When will the killer cop be taken to court?

Tomorrow
Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Blazebond(m): 7:53am On Jun 01, 2020
Let black Americans take care of themselves,they (black Americans) are shitty racists themselves,and why are the sport starts not condemning the rioting and looting ? Why are they silent on the destructions taking place,black Americans ain't getting no bloody sympathy from me.

4 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by MISTAICEY02288(m): 7:54am On Jun 01, 2020
Cool.. It's really great to see these celebrities use their platforms to speak up for the Masses and the World generally..

1 Like

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by emmabest2000(m): 7:54am On Jun 01, 2020
Not all whites are Racists ,
So it's a about the kind of person we encounter at a particular moment

SayNoToRacism

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 01, 2020
How about treatment of blacks on blacks

African Americans discriminate other blacks from Jamaica and Africa.

Blacks in Africa discriminate again fellow blacks e.g xenophobia.

Blacks from same country practice tribalism.

Black sport men most times only date white ladies.

Hypocrites

36 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Roman Abramovich Requests Urgent Meeting With Lionel Messi’s Reps Over Transfer / Odion Ighalo Shows Off His Wife / I’m A Pure Yoruba Man From Nigeria - Emmanuel Adebayor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.