Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? (2533 Views)

United States VS United Kingdom / Ireland Vs Uk Embassy / South Africa Vs Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by AnEnigma(m): 9:39pm On Jan 20, 2011
So I would be making a tough decision some weeks for now and I am canvassing opinions. I intend to do my Msc this year and I have gotten admissions into US and UK schools. I have been wondering where I should go and several factors come into play for me.
First of all I am not to crazy and gung ho about settling back in any of these countries of course if the opportunity comes I would love it but if not I would always opt for trying to make it back here in Nigeria than struggling for jobs over there, the reason is that I am pretty confident that my chances in the oil and gas sector would be a lot better here than over there, but hey what do I know?
Furthermore, I have been looking at the time frame required to complete the degree, given that I would be 26 this year without any serious experience by the time I finish a degree in the US I would be 28 going on 29 would that be good career wise? I know it might not be a problem over there in the US but what are really the chances of holding down a job there? I hear also that the situation is pretty grim in the UK most people I know there have not got any good jobs and I also hear post study work would be closing down soon. So there is my dilemma, and finally cost.
For those of you over there in the US and the Uk tell me what your experience has been.

HELP oh!
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by Delta007(m): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2011
It all depends on what you are looking for.

The only advantage going to the UK is the 1-year post graduate programs. Apart from that, UK na real sufferhead; believe me.

Still, depending on the program, some N.American universities offer 12-15mths post grad programs.

If I were in your shoes, at 26, I'd pick US or Canada. Infact, at 30/31, you could be a Canadian citizen with some good work experience which you can take back to Nigeria with you. I know you are not bent on settling afterwards but I believe in keeping all options open. You never know the future. You do not lose anything if you do not exercise all your options. Also, I do not know where you get your money from but I work hard for mine and stretch its value; hence, if I pay $20k for a post grad degree, for instance, in any country, I must make sure I make triple that money before I leave that country. At the minimum, my $20k, my time and my effort gets me the education, experience, money and more importantly, good contacts and network. That's just my philosophy. Goodluck with your decision!
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by kadman(m): 2:23am On Jan 21, 2011
Delta007 has said it ALL. I have nothing else to add.

I just finished my masters in the UK, and upon the age advantage (I'm 24) and even with the Post Study Visa advantage I have, if i could turn the year back I would do Canada and not think twice about it . That's my own advice.
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by AnEnigma(m): 2:31am On Jan 21, 2011
Delta007:

It all depends on what you are looking for.

The only advantage going to the UK is the 1-year post graduate programs. Apart from that, UK na real sufferhead; believe me.

Still, depending on the program, some N.American universities offer 12-15mths post grad programs.

If I were in your shoes, at 26, I'd pick US or Canada. Infact, at 30/31, you could be a Canadian citizen with some good work experience which you can take back to Nigeria with you. I know you are not bent on settling afterwards but I believe in keeping all options open. You never know the future. You do not lose anything if you do not exercise all your options. Also, I do not know where you get your money from but I work hard for mine and stretch its value; hence, if I pay $20k for a post grad degree, for instance, in any country, I must make sure I make triple that money before I leave that country. At the minimum, my $20k, my time and my effort gets me the education, experience, money and more importantly, good contacts and network. That's just my philosophy. Goodluck with your decision!
Thank you very much, I did try to get into Canadian schools but no head way at all at least for the course I want to do so I had to settle for the US and UK. Hmmmm getting canadian citizenship does not sound like a bad idea either, hmmmmm interesting.
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by AnEnigma(m): 2:33am On Jan 21, 2011
kadman:

Delta007 has said it ALL. I have nothing to add.

I just finished my masters in the UK, and upon the age advantage (I'm 24) and even with the Post Study Visa advantage I have, if i could turn the year back I would do Canada and not think twice about it . That's my own advice.
Do you consider coming back to Nigeria to get a job? I mean I was reading somewhere where one had to earn about 40 000 pounds a year to qualify for some sort of visa. Thats close to 10 million naira a year shocked shocked what would I be doing in another man's country if I can earn that?
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by Delta007(m): 6:07am On Jan 21, 2011
An_Enigma:

Thank you very much, I did try to get into Canadian schools but no head way at all at least for the course I want to do so I had to settle for the US and UK. Hmmmm getting canadian citizenship does not sound like a bad idea either, hmmmmm interesting.
What issues did you experience? Which programs/institutions?
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by AnEnigma(m): 9:08pm On Jan 21, 2011
Delta007:

What issues did you experience? Which programs/institutions?
I was not given a place on the program seems funding issues and all even though I stated I had my funding, Petroleum Engineering at the University of alberta. I am still trying to get a place but its difficult, I want to do a course in petroleum engineering. You have any bright ideas? Are there any better areas in the oil and gas industry with your experience?
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by Delta007(m): 11:18pm On Jan 21, 2011
An_Enigma:

I was not given a place on the program seems funding issues and all even though I stated I had my funding, Petroleum Engineering at the University of alberta. I am still trying to get a place but its difficult, I want to do a course in petroleum engineering. You have any bright ideas? Are there any better areas in the oil and gas industry with your experience?
I'm guessing you are talking about an M.ASc in Pet. Engineering. These M.ASc positions are very competitive. Have you tried the M.Eng route? The M.Eng programs are usually one year and they are less competitive. Go to www.aucc.ca and go thru the list. The application window is closing really fast.
Re: United States Vs Uk - Education Which Do I Choose? by AnEnigma(m): 3:57am On Jan 22, 2011
Delta007:

I'm guessing you are talking about an M.ASc in Pet. Engineering. These M.ASc positions are very competitive. Have you tried the M.Eng route? The M.Eng programs are usually one year and they are less competitive. Go to www.aucc.ca and go thru the list. The application window is closing really fast.
I made the mistake thinking that the MAsc route was the only real recognised route, so I shelved it, now I have looked at the curriculum again and I have seen very little difference infact the Meng is geared towards the industry which is what I am looking at. If I finish the Meng and feel like going on to do an Msc then I hope I would be able to transfer. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Hello / M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ American Girlfriend Want ♍Ƹ In Yankee By All Means! / My Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove & Moremi Statue (+ Cost Breakdown)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.