Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,291 members, 7,780,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:18 PM

Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. (1683 Views)

Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. / Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. / Suspension Of Ebonyi Christian Corpers: MURIC Reacts, Supports CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by adekunle0000: 5:17pm On Jun 02, 2020
The National Youth Service Corp scheme was introduced in 1973 by the then Head of State Gen Yakubu Gowon with a stated intention of wanting to foster national unity and cohesion by having graduates sent off on a one year compulsory service to areas other than their region of birth. As always, it is a scheme most graduates are itchy to be a part of, perhaps, owing in a large part to the many exaggerated tales of funfare, as well as, the associated puns and pageantries it comes with. The question with regards to if the scheme has failed in achieving its set aim is a subjective one that only the individual can answer.
Considering that I am not so much of the religious type, I am very tempted not to use the word “testimony” in reference to my sojourn as a corper in Northern Nigeria, because of the strongly perceived religious connotations, or more appropriately, the undertones it carries, especially for the Pentecostal Christians. But it is infact the best word that I think better convey my very close shave with death. Cold shivers never ceases to run down my spine whenever I think of what had happened and what it would have become had the grace of God not intervened.
I was posted to one of the North-western States for my compulsory service to the fatherland. For the sake of stereotyping, I shall be keeping the name of the state to myself irrespective of the fact that it is quite a common occurrence in the whole of the Muslim North.
In spite of the shortcomings on basic amenities, camp was fun.
We got our posting letters for our “Places of Primary Assignment” with some of my colleagues complaining of some Corpers getting “choice postings” or as they call it in NYSC terms “consensual postings” simply as a result of their Faith. While we were being sent to both primary and secondary schools, they were getting posted to private firms with good corper's incentives, state ministries, and other federal government parastatals where chances of retainment are higer. We heard it on good account that they were demanded to write down their names and where they want to be posted when they went to their religious center for prayers. Those who had no predetermined choice of postings were guided onto the best choices that there is to be made.
Well…at the time, I never really gave it much of a thought because after spending 21 days on camp, I was starting to get that sick feeling of claustrophobia. I was burning on all cylinders to hit the towns and meet the people. Infact my eagerness was very glaring and somewhat infectious as I hurried a colleague of mine, who coincidentally shares the same place of primary assignment, for us to get going.
Luckily enough, we met some senior colleagues (seniority no dey NYSC) at our PPA. Sensing our acute eagerness to enter the class as soon as we possibly can, they gave us a ringing warning that unfortunately didn’t sound like one.
“Guy make una calm down, na North una dey o!”
Naively, i had mistook it for the almost characteristic air of “we-were-here-before-us” that sort of goes about with some Corpers. That mistake would have probably cost me my life had things not turned out differently. Here is what happened.
Trying to trace back chronologically where I had mistepped, I think I can very convincingly point to the morning assembly of that very day. I can to school feeling very energized and keen on entering the class to impact knowledge. At least, I loved my job enough for such a feeling to come up from time to time. It was my duty day and I was very keen on having everyone (both staff and students alike) do the right thing. I made the boys dress smartly by having them tuck-in their shirts which they almost never do. It was for some the shame of having rope in place of belt, some other was to conceal a wear or two on their trousers, but the majority felt there was actually no need for it.
For the ladies, I made attempt at sending back home those who had “lalai” (Henna) inked on their body as it was against the school rules. I only had to permit them in when one of the permanent staff pleaded on their behalf. This is where I think I drew the first blood. They went in eyeing me in that disgusted feminine look. They were saying a lot of things in Hausa language which I did not understand, but I was able to pick out the word “Shegia” because of the frequency with which it came. I got to know it was an abuse when I enquired about it from a friend.
Coincidentally, the “shegia” squad of girls (a term that I letter began to covertly refer to them as) that I attempted to send back home were all in the same class that I was to have my first lesson with that morning. The class like almost everything else in the North was polarized according to gender. Boys were sitting separate from the girls. Ordinarily, there are no officially stated school rules that allows them to sit that way. It only appears that class teachers have all resigned to indifference about the whole sitting arrangement thing, since the students will not stick to the seats assigned to them. By clustering together in their gender, it gives them room to disturb the class and cheat during test and exams.
Let me digress a little in order to give you a complete picture of what I meant by “…almost everything else.” Virtually all of the cities in the North is polarized either according to religious divide or according to residential status. First time visitors are not always conscious of this fact until probably when they want to rent an apartment.
Frankly speaking, there are places where the landlords will outrightly refuse to rent out his apartment to you for the singular reason that your faith does not align with his own and that of the majority of those that resides within that vicinity. Christians resides within Christian communities, the same way Muslims lives within Muslim communities. Settlers resides in the many Sabon Gari’s, away from where the indigenes resides. Almost every major town has its own Sabin Gari; which in most part makes up the bulk of the Christian community. It is infact so serious that I can conveniently tell your faith by merely looking only at your address.
When I enquired to know why, I was simply told that it is as a result of security and trust reasons. Both sides have always lived in suspicion of each other. Evident in the frequent riots and unrest that are characteristic of the North. According to a settler-friend, they live side by side with their fears; knowing that any moment, “Kasala fit burst!” Those who are unfortunate enough to be on the wrong side of town as at when the “Kasala burst” are usually the first causalities. There are actually no specific day for these riots, but my Christian Landlady warned me as a newcomer to be very mindful of my movements on Fridays especially when jummat prayers are going on. Muslims are told likewise to be mindful of Friday evenings (Night vigils) and Sunday mornings.
Back to the issue. I entered the class to their discomfort, answered to their lackadaisical chorus greetings and went straight to the chalkboard to rewrite the topic of the day. Behold the lesson was began! I teach Government to Ss3 students only. As it is with my style; a steady sequence of writing, explaining and writing again. I had the class as I was explaining a concept on the topic of discuss, when I noticed a particular girl among the “Shegia square of girls”. She was quiet but was obviously not paying attention. She was reading from a cheap story book which she tried to conceal under her desk.
I accosted her and told her to put away the book and pay attention to what I was saying. I returned back to the board to write some more. As I write I heard a few giggling laughter and a long sigh, which obviously came in the direction of the “Shegia squad of girls”. I was at this point slightly upset. It was clear that I was being made a mockery of behind my back.
I turned back again to explain another concept but this time I saw this very same girl reading very comfortably a pocket-sized copy of the Holy Koran. I became furious with anger. I walked straight to where she was sitting almost without thinking. She, by reflex, retreated with the Koran. I demanded in anger that she hand over the book to me. It never really occurred to me that it was not just any book; it was the Holy Koran. The entire class was in graveyard silence as the all continue to watch the unfolding drama.
Suddenly there was a sort of realization in her eyes. She was no longer as defensive of the Book as she initially was. She sort of relaxed her dispositions, perhaps expecting me to wrestle the Book out of her hands and do whatever I Intend to do with it. I stretched out my hand, still in anger, insisting that she hands over the book or I will deal with her mercilessly. A grim appeared on the side of her face which further enraged me as she made attempt to hand the Book out to me.
At I was about taking the Koran, I heard a loud and commanding “Stop!”. The commanding nature sound was what actually stopped me from taking the book. Because I really did not know what to do with the book and even careless what it stands for, my first instinct would have been to fling it out of the class through the window.
Miraculously, the voice was that of a fellow Corper who was himself a Muslim. He came into the class, collected the Book and left without saying a word to either me or the student.
Thankfully I did not touch the Book or desecrate it. That would have just sealed my death warrant. The angelic Corper who saved my life letter explained to me why a non-Muslims should never be allowed to touch the Koran not to talk of holding it. He frankly told me that we (non-Muslims) are considered ritually unclean, especially since we urinate without washing our penis and hands, as well as, our preference for tissue paper over water when we defecate.
I soon heard from one of the class members that the “shegia squad of girls” had gossiped among themselves that since I was becoming overzealous, all they needed to do was to dig a ditch and watch me fall into it. Thank God that their plans never came to fruition.

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by overdrive(m): 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2020
More please!
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by budaatum: 5:40pm On Jun 02, 2020
If I were in your place, I'd have brought my own Koran to class the following day since I'm certain it's of a superior quality to whatever they may have.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8650023_img20190201163249_jpege28709ae4ce2b3ae50722142d115041d

The reverse side is in Arabic, as seen below.

It's called "breaking down barriers to learning", and, "knowing those one teaches", but I bet you never went to teaching school to learn like I did.

As for them giving juicy permanent appointments to their own, what smart people these Northerners are for not giving it to foreigners who can't wait to leave!

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CaptainStephen(m): 5:46pm On Jun 02, 2020
Part of youth service is learning to embrace other peoples way of life which includes religion.

You must learn to apply tact and common sense. Its even more worse that you come here to make rudderless accusations because of the antics of a teenager.

And its glaring you haven't learnt yet, this is rule 101 i advice youth corpers during my time with them at the orientation camp.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
Religion of peace indeed!!!
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CAPSLOCKED: 5:48pm On Jun 02, 2020
IF YOU HAD TAKEN THE KORAN, YOU'D HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO KANO WHERE YOU'LL BE BEHEADED FOR ALL MANNER OF ALLEGATIONS AGAINST MUHAMMAD. THERE'S NO CONTEST FOR YOU TO WIN WITH THESE VIOLENT PEOPLE AND JESUS WILL NEVER SAVE YOU FROM THEIR MADNESS.
IN ALL YOU DO, AVOID ANYTHING THAT WILL IMPLICATE YOU AGAINST ISLAM.
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by BlackfireX: 5:56pm On Jun 02, 2020
Islam A Bad
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2020
God really saved you. You dodged a bullet there. There was a Yoruba woman killed almost in the same scenario as yours. You should always be careful in the north. 89% of idiots worldwide make northern Nigeria their abode.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 02, 2020
CaptainStephen:
Part of youth service is learning to embrace other peoples way of life which includes religion.

You must learn to apply tact and common sense. Its even more worse that you come here to make rudderless accusations because of the antics of a teenager.

And its glaring you haven't learnt yet, this is rule 101 i advice youth corpers during my time with them at the orientation camp.

That "rudderless antics of a teenager" led to the death of a female teacher in Gombe a few years back. It was probably the "rudderless antics of teenagers" that led to Akaluka's beheading too. How one can stand up and try to justify such stupidity beats me.

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Ishilove: 7:01pm On Jun 02, 2020
Useless bunch of animals
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Olofin2(m): 7:18pm On Jun 02, 2020
Cursed religion, cursed region!
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 02, 2020
Subhumans.
Didn't you say Northside? Any feature or character, brutish and beastly, that's what I naturally expect from there. It's abnormal to expect normalcy from partially evolved beasts, stuck inbetween wildlife and human habitat.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Spiff20(m): 7:30pm On Jun 02, 2020
Who can summarize that epistle pls
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CaptainStephen(m): 7:37pm On Jun 02, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

That "rudderless antics of a teenager" led to the death of a female teacher in Gombe a few years back. It was probably the "rudderless antics of teenagers" that led to Akaluka's beheading too. How one can stand up and try to justify such stupidity beats me.
You haven't learnt anything yet.

Its unfortunate poorly raised folks are cheering you up here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by engrchykae(m): 8:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
light099:
Subhumans.
Didn't you say Northside? Any feature or character, brutish and beastly, that's what I naturally expect from there. It's abnormal to expect normalcy from partially evolved beasts, stuck inbetween wildlife and human habitat.
I saw them today in a trailer load of goats travelling to the East,they are closer to goats and cows than to humans

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2020
engrchykae:
I saw them today in a trailer load of goats travelling to the East,they are closer to goats and cows than to humans

Exactly.
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Daum: 9:42pm On Jun 02, 2020
One reason I grow my beards and keep a low haircut. I have learned to live amongst them. I can tell you that somehow you no go fear die if you be Muslim. Like, Islam gives you this crazy mind like you don't care about life here. Anybody bleeps with you, you show them pepper.

Becareful out there
Use your head

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 03, 2020
CaptainStephen:

Maybe it's because it has not affected someone close to you. The classic Nigerian "it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't bother me". I don't know if you live in Nigeria. Or whether you're living in a bubble.
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by osamz007: 10:03am On Jun 03, 2020
Them go wash penis still use am fu ck olosho them go wash hands still use am shot innocent people. What a funny sect
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Eraddray(m): 12:33pm On Jun 03, 2020
CaptainStephen:

You are sick... i and the Op is right....u're really sick to hv replied him with ur stupid comments.... that's their stupid practice in the north and it's unfortunate u made him look like he did something wrong.. instead of u to admit the system is wrong... i think u're one of them... u this idiot

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CaptainStephen(m): 7:22pm On Jun 04, 2020
Eraddray:
You are sick... i and the Op is right....u're really sick to hv replied him with ur stupid comments.... that's their stupid practice in the north and it's unfortunate u made him look like he did something wrong.. instead of u to admit the system is wrong... i think u're one of them... u this idiot
You don't know anything also
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CaptainStephen(m): 7:26pm On Jun 04, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

Maybe it's because it has not affected someone close to you. The classic Nigerian "it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't bother me". I don't know if you live in Nigeria. Or whether you're living in a bubble.
I know well, I spent most of my life in the north, was a camp commandant and understand perfectly well what youth corpers encounter and how they should go about it.

Tact and common sense is required as well as learning to accommodate people's way of life.The young man is yet to grasp the purpose of youth service.
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 04, 2020
CaptainStephen:
I know well, I spent most of my life in the north, was a camp commandant and understand perfectly well what youth corpers encounter and how they should go about it.

Tact and common sense is required as well as learning to accommodate people's way of life.The young man is yet to grasp the purpose of youth service.

It is not about youth corpers. It is about the orientation in the north. All a Hausa criminal has to shout if caught stealing in an Igbo man's shop is allahu Akbar and see what follows. The female teacher killed in Gombe was chased by her female students and killed because they said she flung a Koran as part of the bag she seized from a girl that had the cheek to bring the bag into an exam hall (iirc). The north has a problem that I don't know how they'll fix it (if they are willing to in the first place).
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by Eraddray(m): 9:40am On Jun 06, 2020
CaptainStephen:
You don't know anything also
fuckoff my mention... u keep saying u Donno anything... u this uncivilized deluded fool
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by OneDollarSalary(m): 6:40pm On Jun 07, 2020
Jezz, Adekunle0000, I thank God for your life. I pray God take you out of there in one piece (if you are still there).

Any prospective corps member should adhere to the advice of "respecting people's culture and religion".
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by budaatum: 7:12pm On Jun 07, 2020
Shut up. You are much smarter than this.

CAPSLOCKED:
[s]IF YOU HAD TAKEN THE KORAN, YOU'D HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO KANO WHERE YOU'LL BE BEHEADED FOR ALL MANNER OF ALLEGATIONS AGAINST MUHAMMAD. THERE'S NO CONTEST FOR YOU TO WIN WITH THESE VIOLENT PEOPLE AND JESUS WILL NEVER SAVE YOU FROM THEIR MADNESS.
IN ALL YOU DO, AVOID ANYTHING THAT WILL IMPLICATE YOU AGAINST ISLAM[/s].

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by budaatum: 7:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
CaptainStephen:

3 like for you!
Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CAPSLOCKED: 12:21am On Jun 09, 2020
budaatum:
Shut up. You are much smarter than this.
SO WHAT IS THERE NOT TO TALK?

1 Like

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by budaatum: 12:24am On Jun 09, 2020

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by lafiagi007: 6:59am On Jun 09, 2020
CaptainStephen:

You took words out of my mouth, bro!. He is yet to learn, he is yet to mature. I remember, my state Cordinator telling us to abide by the rules of the community we are sent to.he said if they said don't kill this kind of snakes please don't do it, if they say don't go out at night don't do it, I camped in benue where they are mostly xtians and traditionalists. So I don't know why the OP is trying to make seem like north is bad, most likely you've been preconditioned before getting to the north.
If you will not mess up with their religion, North is the best place that can happen to your life, believe it or leave it!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Northern Muslim Students Implicating Christian Corpers Into Blasphemy. by CaptainStephen(m): 10:03am On Jun 14, 2020
lafiagi007:

You took words out of my mouth, bro!. He is yet to learn, he is yet to mature. I remember, my state Cordinator telling us to abide by the rules of the community we are sent to.he said if they said don't kill this kind of snakes please don't do it, if they say don't go out at night don't do it, I camped in benue where they are mostly xtians and traditionalists. So I don't know why the OP is trying to make seem like north is bad, most likely you've been preconditioned before getting to the north.
If you will not mess up with their religion, North is the best place that can happen to your life, believe it or leave it!.
Thank you, is obviously a kid who hasn't experienced life yet.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which State Is Good To Serve For A Graduate Of Theatre Arts / EKITI A17 Pcms (whatsapp Group) / Entry Level Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.