Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

NYSC Service Current Status On Camps - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Service Current Status On Camps (3227 Views)

My Girl Friend Is About Going For NYSC Service / What's Your Take On 2-Year NYSC Service? / Sex In NYSC Camps: How True? As A Corps Member Please Share? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Service Current Status On Camps by Mzmary9: 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2020
With the social media agog in the last few days as regards the recommendations made by the Economic Sustainability Committee headed by the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osibanjo that NYSC Orientation Camp be suspended for Twenty-Four (24) months, it poses a subject of serious concern to me.
No doubt, the recent scourge arising from the global outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has become a serious threat to human existence and as such we certainly require extraordinary measures to live in these times.
However, as a nation with its dominant population as youths we need to tread with caution on the proposed suspension of the Orientation Course which obviously from my personal experience has made the NYSC Scheme the most globally recognized, efficient, laudable, sustainable and impactful of the youth schemes/programs we can boast of as a Nation.
Reminiscing the excitement to which I looked forward to NYSC as a young graduate back in the days, I remember vividly that I was actually looking forward to the Orientation Course more than the service year itself. For me the fun of camping with other young graduates from all over the country for a period of three weeks, coupled with the stories of the paramilitary trainings had an ecstasy that tagged along it in my mind.
Beyond my expectations, I was purposefully and extensively trained during my NYSC Orientation camp with skills that did not only make me exceptional during my service year as I leveraged on them but has also helped me emerge the man I am today.

I make bold to say that of the four cardinal programs of the NYSC, the three weeks orientation course is the core of what National Service is all about. It is packaged to equip you physically and mentally with an all-inclusive components comprising of:
• Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Sessions to curb the deep threatening youth unemployment in our nation.
• Military drills for physical and mental discipline and to checkmate insecurity and support inadequate security manpower.
• Lectures on topical subjects and other necessary spheres required for national development to equip you with the requisite knowledge.
• Leadership and citizenship training to prepare youths for participation in decision making and crave for teamwork to ensure success.
• Sporting activities.
• Martial arts for self-defense, physical fitness exercise
• National consciousness and identity sessions to build more patriotic youths; disease control to enable them join hands with government in such a time as this; advocacy training that equips you with life skills, and above all young people cultivate friendly ties living together in a regimented environment and this gives way for social integration and make room for a level platform for peaceful existence and nation building.

The saying, it takes 21 days to build a habit became true for me as a determined young man who left the NYSC orientation camp completely revamped and prepared for life of excellence.
If government now decides to suspend orientation course of the NYSC; obviously it will be a complete incapacitation of youth development in our nation as the Orientation Course for me remains fundamental in achieving the ideals of the scheme. This may gradually become an overture to ignite our already existing challenge with youth restiveness in Nigeria.
Retrospectively, I remember as a graduate of Accounting, that my career paradigm shift emanated from the Orientation Course. I joined the SDG’s while on camp and was trained as an advocate for the Millennium Development Goals. It was there I realized that there was more to be given to humanity beyond the dream of being a banker clad in suit. I did not get the opportunity to serve in the bank as I desired because of NYSC posting policy but I was posted to an insurance firm.
I realized that this burning desire to work in the banking sector was soon consumed with the passion I developed in the course of my mentoring as an SDG volunteer. This totally turned around my career path as not only did I discover myself but I did so well in the advocacy and was immediately employed at the end of the service year by an international NGO. The job has taken me to over fifteen countries of the world.
I was also well involved in the social activities on camp and I merged as the Mr Macho for that Orientation Course. My appreciation goes to the sponsors of that event on camp that year as the opportunity exposed me to what you may call my side hustle today; modelling for clothing labels.
I am sure there are thousands of other Nigerians willing to tell their stories of how the NYSC Orientation Course remains pivotal in whatever success they attained today. In my opinion, we should be looking at safer ways of hosting Orientation Courses rather than egressing it out only to end up with a country where its youth also become its albatross.

A friend of mine currently serving with this 2020 Batch “A” Stream I corps members called me about two weeks ago to express her frustrations in line with the organizational ethics. Listening to the young lady speak, I could only discern a youth who was not properly oriented before releasing her to the work environment. I am certain this is the fate of hundreds of the 2020 Batch ‘A’ Stream I corps members that had their Orientation Course truncated because of the pandemic.
In light of the huge challenges facing both the young graduates and over-saturated labour market, the need for the Orientation Course cannot be over emphasized as what has over the years made a difference between success and failure for most Nigerian graduates is the training and preparation they underwent during their camping period.

Ola Chinedu
Patriotic Citizen

Re: NYSC Service Current Status On Camps by Discombulator: 3:51pm On Jun 25, 2020
Re: NYSC Service Current Status On Camps by Discombulator: 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2020
Blackjazzyy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olrw9wtTWZQ
You will never be a youtuber cos you be mumu,person create thread about nysc and you turned it into your playground. Your content is whack by the way

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Corpers And Ex Corpers To Protest Non Payment Of Allowee In Kaduna - Streethubng / Warning To Prospective 2012 Batch B Corpers / Is This Female Nysc Corper A Nigerian??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.