Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,460 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents (60651 Views)

UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution / Ibukunoluwa Are Withdrawn From OAU For Bad Performance, Grabs 1st Class At Bowen / How Do I Get Testimonial From A Secondary School I Did Not Finish From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by 1Sharon(f): 9:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
DeckXavier:
you're strong girl.

She is. A Nigerian girl went through something similar and killed herself

2 Likes

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Northeastern: 9:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
sagna112:

How do I tell my parents this, it only mean I have brought shame to them. I have remained in school since then crying from one angle to another I don't know whether to go home to my parents to inform them of the truth or keep telling them lies.

I need your sincere advice.

Uche, rush and go and tell your parents. Maybe they can call for the remark of your script. Someone might be after you. I don’t see how someone will pass the other science courses and come and fail biology. Something is not adding up here.

If it doesn’t workout, go and study biology and use that disappointment as a motivator. Strive to graduate with a first class and apply to US schools for a masters.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by hope4nigeria(m): 9:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
sagna112:
My name is Uche a 100Level supposed medicine and surgery student of a Nigerian University, I used to be very brilliant and that was what instigated me to apply for Medicine and Surgery after acquiring an aggregate score of 270 in both JAMB and POST-UTME Examinations, I was then admitted a years ago into a university.

I am the only child of my parents, they have spent so much on me just to make sure I become a doctor, dad had to sell one of his plots of land to pay for my registration fees, purchase a brand new laptop, a phone and clothes for me and all my needs, Mum who has no job since she was sacked by the state government will always try to send the little that will pass through her, when I think of the way she announced to her friends when I gained admission to study Medicine it brings tears from my eyes.

It will be an injustice on me to be blamed or for me to blame myself, I know the effort I have also made, I have always taken my studies serious, I never missed any lecture, I neither miss assignments nor tests, I sit at the front of the class, I don't keep bad gangs, I have never attended a party, sometimes I do RTDB (Read Till Day Break), what is then my offense? why me?

At the end of my 100 level Second semester my CGP was reading 4.2 without a single carryover, I was very happy because I thought I had scaled through the danger zone.

The unexpected occurred when I logged into the school portal at the end of my Second Semester Examination to check my result, I cleared all the courses with A's and B's but a course was reading Carryover, I nearly fainted when I saw the result, it was a biology course I offered in second semester to me the course was the simplest of all. I did not inform my parents because I din not want to dishearten them.

The school resumed, so I went to my HOD and complained, she took me to the Exam office who searched thoroughly for my script and from what I saw it was obvious I failed, I scored 32% and was asked to change department, my HOD advised that I go to Biological Sciences, my eyes were filled with tears.

How do I tell my parents this, it only mean I have brought shame to them. I have remained in school since then crying from one angle to another I don't know whether to go home to my parents to inform them of the truth or keep telling them lies.

research shows 99% of people who fell into your situation always end up over successful in life, find a way to tell them, they may not be happy now but they say he who laugh last laugh the best. Stay focus and how you excel, you may even be Africa most richest person. For the lecturer who failed you, he/she thinks can change your destiny but he will end up push you to your success. Just wait and see bro

1 Like

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by akilo1: 9:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
Abeg go join native doctor school jor
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by loko50(m): 9:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
The result of social media addiction
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by 4gunners(m): 9:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
Amotolongbo:
@dear OP, Sagna112

I’m writing to you as someone who had passed through this kind of experience before. Mine was worse than yours. I will share the experience with you

Inform your parents on what is happening, they can’t beat or rebuke you

I was admitted to study pharmacy in 2006 at the great citadel, Obafemi Awolowo University. After my first session, I had 4 carryovers. Not as if I wasn’t serious or very dull, things just went in the way I didn’t understand.
I summoned courage and repeated the first year, taking only the 4 courses. I passed all and proceeded to 200level.
I repeated 200level and had to take all the courses again in my fourth year at the university. After the fourth year, I passed the courses though with resit in two courses. I promoted to 300level for the fifth year.

I repeated 300level and had to take all the courses in 300level in my 6th year at the university.

Finally, the worse came after my 6th year in OAU pharmacy school, it was a withdraw from the faculty of pharmacy to other faculty.
I wept and felt so bad as if that was the end of my life. Every thought in me had elements of suicide in it. But my parents were so aware, I called my mum who was at work immediately my course mate notified me of my fate. Dad had known earlier that day before me through one of our lecturers.

My parents stood by me and made sure I was happy and supported me financially, physically and spiritually until I was able to change my department to Geography in the faculty of Social Sciences.

I’m a Geography department graduate now and on a verge of being a registered Surveyor and I feel more happy and fulfilled than being a pharmacist

Being withdrawn from the medical school is not the end of life. There are billions of opportunities in other fields.

Please notify your parents now. They will know later, but they will feel more disappointed then than now.

I think I know you. Well, my twin brother who happened to be a friend of yours told me about your situation, I felt very bad.
I'm glad you pulled through; you're indeed a strong woman.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm an OAU alumni as well.

Extend my greetings to your hubby grin. He is lucky to have a strong woman beside him.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by toprealman: 9:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
hidhrhis:
Bro calm down
Drink a bottle of water or glass of milk
I don't drink alcohol that's why I said milk
Call your mum
Just say mum their is something I want to tell you
Then split the beans
I swear if u keep it from them I will help you list a 100 ways you will regret it
I cried and told my mom the first day I had sex though she was disappointed at least I got it out of my mind and since then I stopped
First and last time
So my brother do the right thing when everyone in this life condemn and neglect us in terms of trouble we still have God and our parent to save us
They are your parent
Is not like you impregnated someone
Seriously.,......lol
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Onlyonebuhari: 9:18pm On Jun 03, 2020
Oga which school did u attend? No one will withdraw you from medical school in 100L. Even if u fail all the biological sciences courses in 100L u will get repeat. Oga please tell aus another thing.
We pass through medical school and the most difficult Medical school is OAU College where we did 320 questions in 80 in anatomy head and neck.

1 Like

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by 1Sharon(f): 9:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
dokxavi:
UNILAG has been throwing people who fail in 100 level out since ages. They are usually told to change course to another department, no repeat, no resit.

Wow..so harsh!
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by IYANGBALI: 9:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
Meet one of your family members or anyone close to your parents and tell the person what happened. The person will know how to break the news to your parents. Not being a medical doctor is not the end of the world. If you're really desperate to be called a doctor, go and learn how to repair wristwatches so that your customers can always call you a doctor(doctor of wristwatches). All na the same
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Drpee33(m): 9:20pm On Jun 03, 2020
I was faced with such situation when i was in my 4th year in the medical school...it was not easy... My dad was late and i only had my mum. I had to inform her and that was the beginning of my success. Through her help i applied for a remark of my papers and afterwards I passed... I had to stay focused until i graduated as a medical doctor 6yrs ago... And i am truly happy that I informed my mum.!!!

7 Likes

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by donMIG(m): 9:20pm On Jun 03, 2020
U r the only child they can't kill u
Just tell them already... This one no b anything
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Charlex23(m): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2020
I don't understand, how would they bounce you out because you failed just one course. That's strictly unfair.Telling ur Dad won't be adviceable and I'll advice you to tell your mum now bcs the earlier the better. Come on life is too short to be sad, no need to give it a pensive thought. just spill it out and you'll be glad you did.Good luck lad.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Harmlesspill(m): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2020
ayoncox:
Beg your HOD for a repeat if it is possible.
See the answer you are looking for.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Donwoosky: 9:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
This is how our useless school system frustrate youths and and at times they end giving up or even committing suicide... Why can't they have an alternative like rewriting the course as carryover and the guy continues with his studies. Just try and meet a lecturer close to you and discuss the whole matter there must be a way out.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by sharone21(f): 9:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
WHY YOU SHOULD STUDY IN CAMEROUN
Dear student,
I'll quickly share with you the benefits of studying in Cameroun, away from all the stress and frustration that comes with education in Nigeria. Here are some benefits you'll get:
⏩Free application :OCTOBER & JANUARY admissions(those with awaiting results can apply because of this). ⏩Beautifully structured educational system.⏩No JAMB exam, No Post-UTME exam, No weeding, No interview Automatic admission. ⏩Just WAEC/SSCE or NECO/SSCE. ⏩Fees CHEAPER than fees in private universities in Nigeria or Africa. ⏩HND 1-3 Pay HALF(50%) tuition fees + Registration fee on arrival, spread remaining fee in that session before exam starts. BSC 4 Pay 67% tuition fee+ Registration fee, spread remaining fee in that session before exam starts (because students have to be pre-registered with the government university &Ministry). ⏩Usually 3yrs HND with 1year top up BSc even for Nursing( if you have Diploma in Nursing ie OND, 2 years)…If there are many RN/HND Nurses that show interest, ONLINE RN-BSC will kick start). FULLY ACCREDITED private institutions by its Ministry of Higher Education (and awards certificates) & EASILY VERIFIABLE. ⏩NO STRIKES. ⏩Similar cost of living with Nigeria. . . Other Attractions: ��Affordable hostels ( according to taste). ��Cheaper internet cost.��Learn other culture or language( Optional). ��No xenophobia or Cultism. �Miscellaneous( inbox me for details). � % FREE INFO( Zero charges). NOTE: RN/HND 1-3’s fees was recently slashed by 37% and BSc Nursing Year 4 was recently slashed by 25%
Whatsapp: +2348088435¬¬935 or inbox me @ Ify John(Facebook)
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Amotolongbo(f): 9:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
flyingpig:

LOL my story is so similar to yours.

I failed math in my year one and was instructed to repeat. I admit I didn't put in my best effort anyway.

I repeated year one and passed the math, subsequently I was promoted to year two, in year two I repeated again, once again I didn't take my year 2 serious. I joined non-serious students and it greatly influenced my study rate.

After my second repeat in year 2, it dawned on me how much time I had wasted, my mates were in year 4, while I was repeating year 2.

Finally I crossed over to year 3 while my mates were in final year.

Now I'm in my fourth year. Truly, Pharmacy was my passion to study because in Nigeria, the Health guys are more stable after graduation, but to be honest I have no flare for it. I don't enjoy reading it.

I failed chemistry miserably when i was in secondary school. What I enjoyed and passed enormously was geography.

I enjoy studying geography till today but I don't enjoy studying pharmacy, I just see it as a necessity, in order to survive in Nigeria after graduation.

While repeating year 2, a part of me wished I'd be withdrawn so I can go do geography or any other thing I "enjoy" reading.

Building your occupation around your "hobby " brings more career fulfilment than any other thing. But my dad already has plans of setting up a pharmacy for me once i graduate.

In the end, I passed the repeating year 2 class and now in year 4, should be in final year by January.

Somehow, I wonder if I'd truly find joy, fulfilment, ease in studying and practising a geography related course. And if i would be happy or as rich as I would be while working as a Pharmacist, if i had eventually switched to a geography related course.

And I just saw what @Gboyegad just posted. embarassed
brother, you can still go for your passion after the pharmacy program
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Veiniously: 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
i had many caryovers in my year one first semester am still picking them till now am in year 3 , dont know why your school acted that way maybe because of your course thats why. For me i would say you should inform your parent ... Although i never informed mine because in my school you carry that course over not throwing you out of the department or course... So am still picking mine some semester i write 2 carry overs from my year1 first semester carry over seriously its not easy thats why i go for what i can do.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by ogaofficer(m): 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
Amotolongbo:
@dear OP, Sagna112

I’m writing to you as someone who had passed through this kind of experience before. Mine was worse than yours. I will share the experience with you

I was admitted to study pharmacy in 2006 at the great citadel, Obafemi Awolowo University. After my first session, I had 4 carryovers. Not as if I wasn’t serious or very dull, things just went in the way I didn’t understand.
I summoned courage and repeated the first year, taking only the 4 courses. I passed all and proceeded to 200level.
I repeated 200level and had to take all the courses again in my fourth year at the university. After the fourth year, I passed the courses though with resit in two courses. I promoted to 300level for the fifth year.
I repeated 300level and had to take all the courses in 300level in my 6th year at the university.

Finally, the worse came after my 6th year in OAU pharmacy school, it was a withdraw from the faculty of pharmacy to other faculty.
I wept and felt so bad as if that was the end of my life. Every thought in me had elements of suicide in it. But my parents were so aware, I called my mum who was at work immediately my course mate notified me of my fate. Dad had known earlier that day before me through one of our lecturers.

My parents stood by me and made sure I was happy and supported me financially, physically and spiritually until I was able to change my department to Geography in the faculty of Social Sciences.

I’m a Geography department graduate now and on a verge of being a registered Surveyor and I feel more happy and fulfilled than being a pharmacist

Being withdrawn from the medical school is not the end of life. There are billions of opportunities in other fields.

Please notify your parents now. They will know later, but they will feel more disappointed then than now.
I love your story, it's inspiring. I will show this to my lady who happens to be studying surveying in that same school. But how did you make it to be a Reg. Surv as a Geography graduate?
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Donwoosky: 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
1Sharon:

She is. A Nigerian girl went through something similar and killed herself

I swear nah why the wan frustrate me for ABSU that year I just leave then jaa for the main time. grin
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by oliverlistic(m): 9:24pm On Jun 03, 2020
sagna112:

100level
Just 100level. You're too young to be making issue out of these not when you have a truck full of options ahead of you.
You don't have to sit for any jamb because you can always repeat 100level or change department and your parent must be inform on every step you're making.
Never hide anything from your parent.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by SeriouslySense(m): 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
Thank you Sir, for this advice,, a good one, I hope it is what the person needs.
Amotolongbo:
@dear OP, Sagna112

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by stasius: 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
You can start all over my dear. Rewrite Jamb and forge ahead.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by 1Sharon(f): 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2020
Donwoosky:

I swear nah why the wan frustrate me for ABSU that year I just leave then jaa for the main time. grin

Lol you dropped out?
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by ilemona4u: 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2020
Smilingjuhn:
Young Man, I very much understand your plight. I was a victim too. had to spent 9 years in the university just because I dropped out out from medicine in 200 level coupled with strikes.
Just exactly the way your parents struggled to ensure u get the best, so also mine did. My Mum is my confidant always. She very well believe in my abilities irrespective of challenges. I had to open up to her regarding the issue immediately I saw the result (not minding the consequence). Though, she was really shocked about it knowing very well I am a very intelligent child. She almost had B.P. I almost committed suicide considering my parents feeling, the fact that I will be looked at by my people at home as a failure, lose a year and start all over in another department. What helped me where some of my good that knew me well. They were always around me to ensure I don't do anything stupid to myself. Also, my mum stood by me to keep encouraging me and made efforts to know what actually happened for me to fail. In all, I was told to put in for another medical related course which I did and completed but never had joy. I still wanted to go for medicine after NYSC. Tried admission in one of the best universities in Nigeria but due to regional differences, I could not go through with the admission. during that time, I was also pushing for MSc which eventually the school granted me and I completed.

Guess what, I got my first job while rounding up my MSc. after about two years, I got a better one. After about 3 years I got the best job ever! Funny enough I earn more than most of doctors of today (except those that have upgraded themselves). NB

NB-Most of the doctors of this era have to work in 2 or 3 private hospitals monthly to earn well. Some are still struggling to get jobs while some are planning to go to Canada.

Never let the mentality of having a degree in a particular profession make you feel you cant achieve greatness in life. No profession or course of study is useless. Just be determined to put in your best in whatever course you find yourself doing. You can drop your email address if you need me to guide you and give you detailed info on what you should do.

As for now, eat well, don't stay alone, share your worries to everyone you deem important and close to you. Call your the someone in your family that you can trust to help you break the news in a way it wont cause complications to your mum or Dad's health. Someone good with words...
just sent a mail sir(adazeez1995@gmail.com) Am also in a similar position . thanks

1 Like

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2020
Smartmed:
which school is this?
most schools i know dont throw u out immediately, instead you are given a chance to repeat 100level
This is very possible as their are three groups of courses..viz required,compulsory and electives. Fail a compulsory course as a fresher and see yourself asked to leave the department or faculty...
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Amotolongbo(f): 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2020
ogaofficer:
I love your story, it's inspiring. I will show this to my lady who happens to be studying surveying in that same school. But how did you make it to be a Reg. Surv as a Geography graduate?
Alright.

Geography is a cognate course to Surveying.
With Geography and some courses, you can go for a 5semesters program to become a pupil Surveyor in the school
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by davidadenrele: 9:27pm On Jun 03, 2020
sagna112:
My name is Uche a 100Level supposed medicine and surgery student of a Nigerian University, I used to be very brilliant and that was what instigated me to apply for Medicine and Surgery after acquiring an aggregate score of 270 in both JAMB and POST-UTME Examinations, I was then admitted a years ago into a university.

I am the only child of my parents, they have spent so much on me just to make sure I become a doctor, dad had to sell one of his plots of land to pay for my registration fees, purchase a brand new laptop, a phone and clothes for me and all my needs, Mum who has no job since she was sacked by the state government will always try to send the little that will pass through her, when I think of the way she announced to her friends when I gained admission to study Medicine it brings tears from my eyes.

It will be an injustice on me to be blamed or for me to blame myself, I know the effort I have also made, I have always taken my studies serious, I never missed any lecture, I neither miss assignments nor tests, I sit at the front of the class, I don't keep bad gangs, I have never attended a party, sometimes I do RTDB (Read Till Day Break), what is then my offense? why me?

At the end of my 100 level Second semester my CGP was reading 4.2 without a single carryover, I was very happy because I thought I had scaled through the danger zone.

The unexpected occurred when I logged into the school portal at the end of my Second Semester Examination to check my result, I cleared all the courses with A's and B's but a course was reading Carryover, I nearly fainted when I saw the result, it was a biology course I offered in second semester to me the course was the simplest of all. I did not inform my parents because I din not want to dishearten them.

The school resumed, so I went to my HOD and complained, she took me to the Exam office who searched thoroughly for my script and from what I saw it was obvious I failed, I scored 32% and was asked to change department, my HOD advised that I go to Biological Sciences, my eyes were filled with tears.

Brotherly,

The downfail of anyman is the not the end of his life, when you fall you will raise up, winner don't quit, quitters don't win, when give you a lemon you turn into lemonade don't be afraid man up sir your parents down open tell them the truth, it's better you tell them the truth than for you to invoke curses on your head, they have struggle so much to give you a better life they don't deserve to be lied to, they meant well for you and not matters what happens they will encourage you and advised you and support you nothing father and mother support all the best.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by amuwo1980: 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2020
sagna112:

Can u repeat the year? If not just go ahead and move to engineering. You will be happy u did . Let me tell u a story maybe that will help u , I went to 2 medical schools and still did not qualify As a medical dr , I graduate with a Bsc in one of the physical sciences and later moved to the USA , am now a physician assistant in orthopedics and very fulfilled , tell your folks , don’t fool around , pray and ask God to reveal his plans for you to you and Shepard you to it. You will be fine , I have been here before

3 Likes

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by deavicky(m): 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2020
Give me any of ur parents number let talk to them I'm a counsellor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2020
optm:
This your story is quite unbelieveable. What school ? I doubt there's any course of study in d univ that throws a 100l student out for failing just one course .
have you heard of UI?
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by felixomor: 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2020
You are still young.
You can still start again and still make it.
I have seen many of such cases, even worse.
They still fulfilled their dreams.

Dont be disheartened at all.

You only need to be bold and strong willed.
The Lord will see you through

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Salary For A Graduate Assistant In A Federal Polytechnic / Former US Teacher Of The Year Arrested For Having Sex With 17-Year-Old Student / Bloody Protest In The University Of Portharcourt(graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.