Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? (27186 Views)

Does A Woman Earning More Than The Husband Affect The Marriage? / My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. / How to handle finances in Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by covid2019: 4:59pm On Jun 03, 2020
As noted elsewhere in my previous thread: https://www.nairaland.com/5829221/build-small-house-now-keep, I have been seriously considering building a house, but after a few inquiries and inspections, I discovered that I could only afford a land and build in remote area in my state.

The effect is that my neighbours and everyone in my vicinity will be of low income or lower middle class. This effect is seen in churches, schools etc around there too.

Personally, I don't care about this but my elder brother will not allow me to rest. According to him, "Nigga, you like village too much, leave that place," he is of the opinion that I should even leave the state entirely-- he is New York based anyway.

NOW, these thoughts have been in my subconscious mind, having subliminal effects on me.

Considering, that this great forum has people from all walks of life, I have decided to bring this issue here: TO WHAT EXTENT DOES ONE'S RESIDENT ENVIRONMENT AFFECT HIM especially with regard to finance.

Should I forget about building now-- since I can only afford to build in a remote area now-- and rent in a highbrow, upscale area?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of living among the rich.

Thanks.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 03, 2020
When you live among the rich, you start to act rich before you know it you’ll get rich.

Remember to thank your brother for saving you from village people. grin

321 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Amanee(f): 6:24pm On Jun 03, 2020
How can you use an obscene amount of money for rent when you can make a lifetime investment and live rent free? It's simple logic forget all this living with the rich, a wise man once said 'cut your coat according to your cloth'. Don't go and live somewhere where you'll end up with hbp while trying to keep up with the Joneses.

A word is enough for the wise.

246 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Casan0va: 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2020
My man, buy that land and start building.
Don't even think about it twice. If you rent in an expensive place, you'll spend more trying to "keep up" and at the end of the day should an unfortunate thing happen to you or your finances, you realise you don't have a place of your own.

Like someone once said, "we're one major health problem away from being broke"

Use your head

Coolabbie:
I will speak for myself and my experience.

I live in such a neighborhood and I love it. The calibre of people I have met just walking down my street is something that would never have been possible if I was living in low-income neighbourhoods.

Twice, I have gotten job offers without any mention of cv. One of them works closely with the governor, the other owns a radio station.
The people that offered me this job did not know me from Adam, they only know I am a neighbour.

#MyOpinion

The connection part is true, but do you have the necessary skills to undertake such jobs?

You can live in a high-rise estate and not meet such influential people that will give you such offers.

There are a lot of options for the guy.
He can develop his land and use it for agriculture

He can build an apartment where he'll rent to tenants and still live there if he wants

He can build a house to his taste where he can live with his family

You're coming from the angle of being a female though, if you check from the angle of a male maybe you'll rethink.

Selah

92 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Coolabbie: 7:14pm On Jun 03, 2020

I live in such a neighborhood and I love it. The calibre of people I have met just walking down my street is something that would never have been possible if I was living in low-income neighbourhoods.

Twice, I have gotten job offers without any mention of cv. One of them works closely with the governor, the other owns a radio station.
The people that offered me this job did not know me from Adam, they only know I am a neighbour.

Besides, nothing beats the inspiration gotten from walking around your neighbourhood and seeing beautiful mansions, clean streets, and breathtaking landscaping.

The quiet, the serenity, the security is something I will not trade.

The sun even hits different here walahi grin grin

Please, don't do it if you can't afford it. But if social mobility is your thing, then it should definitely be an option.

#MyOpinion

330 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by bukatyne(f): 7:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
covid2019:
As noted elsewhere in my previous thread: https://www.nairaland.com/5829221/build-small-house-now-keep, I have been seriously considering building a house, but after a few inquiries and inspections, I discovered that I could only afford a land and build in remote area in my state.

The effect is that my neighbours and everyone in my vicinity will be of low income or lower middle class. This effect is seen in churches, schools etc around there too.

Personally, I don't care about this but my elder brother will not allow me to rest. According to him, "Nigga, you like village too much, leave that place," he is of the opinion that I should even leave the state entirely-- he is New York based anyway.

NOW, these thoughts have been in my subconscious mind, having subliminal effects on me.

Considering, that this great forum has people from all walks of life, I have decided to bring this issue here: TO WHAT EXTENT DOES ONE'S RESIDENT ENVIRONMENT AFFECT HIM especially with regard to finance.

Should I forget about building now-- since I can only afford to build in a remote area now-- and rent in a highbrow, upscale area?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of living among the rich.

Thanks.

There are a number of things:

1. If you rent in an upscale area, how do you intend to pay the rent? Can your monthly income afford your stay there? For instance, the cost of schools in Lekki would be different from Iyana Paja. Same would be the cost of clothing, utility, market etc. You would however have access to meet people (if you are very very good at networking) for growth opportunities.

2. If you build in the village, can you afford to complete the house at once? Is it an area that would develop? What are the utilities available there? Proximity to your place of earning? Is it an environment you can build seclusion? If yes, is there security? What is the financial goal of your family?

Is it the amount to rent in the upscale area that would build in the village? Can you look for a semi-upscale area so you are not working for your landlord? Are there things you can invest the money that would yield more returns or even start earning income enough to pay your rent going forward?

There are many things to consider.

The rent in the city vs build in the suburb has gotten more complex than in our parents' time.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by bukatyne(f): 7:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
Coolabbie:

Best, nothing beats the inspiration gotten from walking around your neighbourhood and seeing beautiful mansions, clean streets, and breathtaking landscaping.

Please, don't do it if you can't afford it. But if social mobility is your thing, then it should definitely be an option.

#MyOpinion

@bold cheesy

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by sisisioge: 7:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
Biko listen to your brother!

It is better to buy a flat in a nice neighborhood than to build a mansion in a poor one biko. Business opportunities, nice social connections, good educations for your kids, better access to the good things of life...biko choose well.

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Hathor5(f): 7:24pm On Jun 03, 2020
sisisioge:

It is better to buy a flat in a nice neighborhood than to build a mansion in a poor one biko. Business opportunities, nice social connections, good educations for your kids, better access to the good things of life...biko choose well.

What if one risks not blending in well?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by sisisioge: 7:29pm On Jun 03, 2020
Hathor5:

What if one risks not blending in well?

Why won't you want to blend in? You network with your neighbours, attend the landlord association meetings, use the community garden...madam, your neighbours are the Folawiyos, Ezeego, Dantata...you must blend in grin

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Unnerve: 7:29pm On Jun 03, 2020
Coolabbie:

Besides, nothing beats the inspiration gotten from walking around your neighbourhood and seeing beautiful mansions, clean streets, and breathtaking landscaping.

#MyOpinion
Did you build the house, are you renting, or just squatting with someone?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Coolabbie: 7:30pm On Jun 03, 2020
Unnerve:

Did you build the house, are you renting, or just squatting with someone?
Renting

11 Likes

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Unnerve: 7:32pm On Jun 03, 2020
sisisioge:

Written like someone who has never had to think about having her own house with her name on it.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Hathor5(f): 7:33pm On Jun 03, 2020
sisisioge:

Why won't you want to blend in? You network with your neighbours, attend the landlord association meetings, use the community garden...madam, your neighbours are the Folawiyos, Ezeego, Dantata...you must blend in grin

It is not a question of not wanting to but a matter of not being able to. Relocating won't make you a different person. The way you speak, what you talk about, how you eat, what you know, your etiquette will give you away. You can't buy (social) class and people may look down on you and even try to avoid you and then also your children.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Unnerve: 7:36pm On Jun 03, 2020
Coolabbie:
Renting
But there are people who built in your neighborhood, even the one you rented was built by someone.

If you were to start looking to get your own house, would you be financially capable enough to build/buy one in that same neighborhood, considering how much you're already spending on rent?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by bukatyne(f): 7:36pm On Jun 03, 2020
sisisioge:

If he cannot afford it, is worse than living in a poor neighborhood.

It is like parents who send their kids to schools they can barely afford.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Cedarfarms: 7:40pm On Jun 03, 2020
sisisioge:

I don't understand........how can you attend landlord association meetings??

Are you one!

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Coolabbie: 7:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
Unnerve:

But there are people who built in your neighborhood, even the one you rented was built by someone.

If you were to start looking to get your own house, would you be financially capable enough to build/buy one in that same neighborhood, considering how much you're already spending on rent?
It wasn't long ago I finished NYSC, not looking to build anything soon. One month income pays my rent. I'm good.

Modified
I do not do yahoo for those sending me pms.
I only earn in dollars and spend in naira

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Unnerve: 7:49pm On Jun 03, 2020
Coolabbie:
It wasn't long ago I finished NYSC. One month income pays my rent. I'm good.
Your one month income pays a year's rent in an upscale neighborhood? That's interesting

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by HoliMaree: 7:59pm On Jun 03, 2020
Coolabbie:

#MyOpinion

Kool
Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by covid2019: 8:01pm On Jun 03, 2020
Ilegend
Conglomerate
Emmanuelewumi
Ahiboilandgas
Sholapey

2 Likes

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by covid2019: 8:04pm On Jun 03, 2020
fairfora:
It all depends on what you seek to achieve. I have friends living in Lekki and I've vowed never to join them. Not because I cant afford a befitting house in Lekki. In the estate where I live in Lagos, there's 24 hours power supply daily with perfect road network. We are served by the so-called 33 grid. People find it hard to believe when they visit that a place in Nigeria could enjoy power so constantly. Security isn't a problem and roads leading home are lit in the night.

My friends who built houses in Lekki are always on Generator. They spend hugely on water treatment. Roads are always flooded, etc. Theres a comptroller of customs who wanted to live in Lekki. He moved with his family. Niw he wants to come back grin traffic gets worse at peak periods in that axis. Most times I'd get to the airport much earlier than those living in Lekki. Most times, I get to VI or any part of Lagos earlier than they do. I always ask myself, what's so special about Lekki sef? You dont want to even near that place now that rain has started.

The government of Nigeria has made city's life so difficult. Overseas, you could live anywhere and still enjoy all the benefits of life...in fact people preferred living on the outskirts where they enjoy the serenity. We have a manufacturer who cited their facility at a remote village in Germany. This is a multibillion euro company. As remotely as they're situated, they've been able to reach the length and breadth of the world courtesy functional rail system. From their facility, they could comment to every part of Europe. From any airport, you easily reach them via train.
The day we have a functional rail system in place in Nigeria( if it would happen in my generation) , it's goodbye to lagos hectic life and I relocate to my town. From my town, I can get to the station early to catch a Lagos-bound train. 5:30pm, I don commot office to join a train that would take me back home. Do you know why longevity in Nigeria is so short? It's due to the hectic lifestyle of working Nigerians. We spend most of our active hours in traffic and accumulate stress in the process. The look of a 40-year old average lagosian isn't same when compared to that of his counterparts in Europe or US.

Thanks for your input

22 Likes

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by covid2019: 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2020
Divsy:
I think the major advantage of living in a rich neighborhood is that you'll be challenged to do more for yourself. you'll be self motivated enough to be in a healthy competition which on the long run will be to your advantage unlike when you're in the village.
kristonium:
Advantages

1. Security - everyone minds his or her business. No one has your time

2. You think and aim higher. You will surely see those who will be challenging you to dare

3. Having your children grow in an environment where they can rob shoulder with other rich children, and start building viable rapport as they grow.

4. Networking. When you attend CDA's meeting, club or religious gathering you can also meet and network with other rich people who can help your business or create platform for investment opportunities.

I think you should stay in the rich neighborhood, as you make more money, you can still comfortably build a house in that your village, and still buy or build in that highbrow area.

What's the essence of leaving in the village and you are the one settling all the fights in the village?

Thanks for your input

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by sisisioge: 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2020
Hathor5:

It is not a question of not wanting to but a matter of not being able to. Relocating won't make you a different person. The way you speak, what you talk about, how you eat, what you know, your etiquette will give you away. You can't buy (social) class and people may look down on you and even try to avoid you and then also your children.

Hmmmm...I get you. Culture is actually the way of life that we assimilate from out environment. If a leaf stays too long on a soap, it ends up turning to a soap. Soon enough, your style of eating changes, your mode of dressing changes, etc. It is like moving from Nigeria to Canada, you will eventually integrate into the system...nasty weather and all.

Back to the neighbourhood talk, moving to this neighbourhood is with the assumption that you have the minimum requirement to live or own a property among them.

For example, I used to work in an office where I was like the most fashionable employee. It was a big company o yet I was always the face of the coy when meeting clients in my unit. Then I moved to a much smaller org where the girls there nicknamed me oldie. My style was considered not trendy. I had to gradually change pieces and rematch my wardrobe to blend in. Again, this was possible because I had the minimum requirement to gradually blend in.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by partnerinbiz4: 8:07pm On Jun 03, 2020
No go spend all your money trying to stay woke oo If you can supply airtime 5k to 10m, contact 0909--6--3-00200. Only serious persons please. We have an online presence even here on Nairaland with over 5366 positive feedback.May God heal us of covid19.

2 Likes

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by sisisioge: 8:11pm On Jun 03, 2020
bukatyne:

If he cannot afford it, is worse than living in a poor neighborhood.

It is like parents who send their kids to schools they can barely afford.

I thought he would have the minimum requirement to blend in, not like a fish out of water. Instead of building the mansion in the poor area, buy a flat in a nice community. They are people living around there too nau. He is probably a business owner or a professional too. He is probably educated as well...what's more? It is better for him to go and learn and reinvent himself than to be the prince in the village.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by sisisioge: 8:13pm On Jun 03, 2020
Unnerve:

Written like someone who has never had to think about having her own house with her name on it.

So buying a flat isn't the same as buying a property with your name on it? Very myopic! Wait until you hear that a flat in Maryland Lagos is worth more than your two mansions in the village!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 03, 2020
Of course it does, especially when you live in an estate where there is 24hr electricity, MIF etcI; more bills to pay, proportional to 'more levels'

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? by Triangles1(m): 8:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
Just imagine having opportunity to meet Dangote and Alakija or Otedola every day.

When you live among the poor you start reasoning like them and gossip except you have a high momentum to survive.

My father once told me that if you want to end at no.10 always focus on 99.

27 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Twins Have A Special Connection: Fact Or Myth / 20-Year-old Lady Stuck In Toddler's Body / Couple Burnt To Death In Lagos After Power Surge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.