Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. (2553 Views)

Polish PM Blasts ‘ Short-sighted’ Europeans Opening To China After Macron Visit / Why Is Ukraine Not Going Offensive by attacking Moscow / The World Is Coming For China After Recovery. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by proxillin(m): 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
Should we apologize to Trump for blaming china and cutting WHO funding?

Throughout January, the World Health Organization publicly praised China for what it called a speedy response to the new coronavirus. It repeatedly thanked the Chinese government for sharing the genetic map of the virus “immediately,” and said its work and commitment to transparency were “very impressive, and beyond words.”

But behind the scenes, it was a much different story, one of significant delays by China and considerable frustration among WHO officials over not getting the information they needed to fight the spread of the deadly virus, The Associated Press has found.

Despite the plaudits, China in fact sat on releasing the genetic map, or genome, of the virus for more than a week after three different government labs had fully decoded the information. Tight controls on information and competition within the Chinese public health system were to blame, according to dozens of interviews and internal documents.

Chinese government labs only released the genome after another lab published it ahead of authorities on a virologist website on Jan. 11. Even then, China stalled for at least two weeks more on providing WHO with detailed data on patients and cases, according to recordings of internal meetings held by the U.N. health agency through January — all at a time when the outbreak arguably might have been dramatically slowed.

WHO officials were lauding China in public because they wanted to coax more information out of the government, the recordings obtained by the AP suggest. Privately, they complained in meetings the week of Jan. 6 that China was not sharing enough data to assess how effectively the virus spread between people or what risk it posed to the rest of the world, costing valuable time.

“We’re going on very minimal information,” said American epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove, now WHO’s technical lead for COVID-19, in one internal meeting. “It’s clearly not enough for you to do proper planning.”

“We’re currently at the stage where yes, they’re giving it to us 15 minutes before it appears on CCTV,” said WHO’s top official in China, Dr. Gauden Galea, referring to the state-owned China Central Television, in another meeting.

The story behind the early response to the virus comes at a time when the U.N. health agency is under siege, and has agreed to an independent probe of how the pandemic was handled globally. After repeatedly praising the Chinese response early on, U.S. President Donald Trump has blasted WHO in recent weeks for allegedly colluding with China to hide the extent of the coronavirus crisis. He cut ties with the organization on Friday, jeopardizing the approximately $450 million the U.S. gives every year as WHO’s biggest single donor.

Continue reading. https://apnews.com/3c061794970661042b18d5aeaaed9fae

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Vyzz: 9:27pm On Jun 03, 2020
angry

1 Like

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by hotwax: 9:43pm On Jun 03, 2020
Everyone knew the virus is from China.

They told us it does not spread from animal to human
later they said its not airborne
then they said face mask wont stop it.

while they misinform us, the virus was spread. It was a biological warfare

6 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FarahAideed: 9:43pm On Jun 03, 2020
Trump is always right , the guy has a great hunch

13 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by waledeji(m): 9:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
FarahAideed:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by hotwax: 9:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
FarahAideed:

He has FBI and CIA reporting to him.

10 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FlordFlorez(m): 9:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
I no dey click.
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 03, 2020
WHO is Attacking China ? grin grin grin
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FarahAideed: 9:54pm On Jun 03, 2020
waledeji:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lemme spoil your day small Yoruba Moozlim

2 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by waledeji(m): 9:54pm On Jun 03, 2020
FarahAideed:

All this noise about nothing cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FarahAideed: 9:57pm On Jun 03, 2020
waledeji:
All this noise about nothing cheesy cheesy wink

2nd term asssured in JESUS NAME

2 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by proxillin(m): 9:58pm On Jun 03, 2020
FarahAideed:

Dont let them kill you oo

3 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 10:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
As if trump didn't also praise China for their response before undecided
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by proxillin(m): 10:25pm On Jun 03, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

Based on misinformation from WHO

7 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 10:30pm On Jun 03, 2020
proxillin:

...Whom Based on misinformation from China
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by tgirlblaze(f): 10:46pm On Jun 03, 2020
Oga
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FarahAideed: 10:54pm On Jun 03, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

Generational poverty is cooking stew on your destiny and you think Trump is your problem ..Don't let Yafiba Moozlim mislead you please

2 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Blackmann001: 11:04pm On Jun 03, 2020
.. The world is a surker for China especially the gullible Europe....

If you want progress as a nation, cut China off... Every nation of the world shld unite against Chinese imports... Then they will feel responsible to things....

The government is arrogant, bullish, dubious, curny, domination, too aggressive ND lives in self denial...

250k bribery by China coy in zamfara, the country leaders said nothing, not evn a condemning statement.......

China will eventually ruin Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Elimon(m): 11:32pm On Jun 03, 2020
Blackmann001:
.. The world is a surker for China especially the gullible Europe....

If you want progress as a nation, cut China off... Every nation of the world shld unite against Chinese imports... Then they will feel responsible to things....

The government is arrogant, bullish, dubious, curny, domination, too aggressive ND lives in self denial...

250k bribery by China coy in zamfara, the country leaders said nothing, not evn a condemning statement.......

China will eventually ruin Nigeria
After Cutting China off what next...did WHO or the West tell you they ever cared about this African continent...
China is the only country holding Africa in the hand... The West did more harm than good

1 Like

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by proxillin(m): 11:38pm On Jun 03, 2020
Elimon:

After Cutting China off what next...did WHO or the West tell you they ever cared about this African continent...
China is the only country holding Africa in the hand... The West did more harm than good

yes by providing slavery loans.

The ilegal chinese minners arrested in osun few months ago where released under chinese pressure. China will suck nigeria dry

2 Likes

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Blackmann001: 11:48pm On Jun 03, 2020
Elimon:

You talk like someone excited abt a nu order without properly analyzing stuffs...

Do u know china's aids to Nigeria is 48million Naira..? For Corona fight.. Common Germany alone gave naija 20million dollars.. Evn dou our trade with Germany is nothing to write home about....

There is a course to rebuild Yemen and Germany is putting In 120mill dollars again..

The US aid + UK aid jointly Pays for all our more than 4milkion hiv patient to stay alive.... European union paid over 60% of our funding for 2006 census..

China donates less than 21milliin to WHO while small Britain donates over 100million dollars...

Do u know China is the only creditor in the world currently refusing to freeze loan servicing credit from developing nation for the period of Corona....?

Do u tink an Austrian company will agree to produce substandard goods for u on ur demand evn if ur willing to pay just so Dat u will defraud ND fleece ur ppl of their hard ern money..? All China firms do it...

Do u know dt more than 90% schorlaship from China Institutions and Govt is to study Only Chinese language and no other knowledge... While 100% scholarship from western schls and Institute ND government is to study wotever u like...

Du u know China loads laborers in planes to developing country to take up jobs which their loans sponsor.. Whiles the west leaves u to do all the work ND hire whoever u choose..?

Guy.. U don't know China hence you talk with emotion... I made a job of studying China ND its international relations.... D west is not holding Africa from development, dey hold dem selves

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by seanwilliam(m): 2:27am On Jun 04, 2020
grin where are those cyber idiots who always attack trump ?
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Subduer: 2:52am On Jun 04, 2020
FarahAideed:
Trump WINS re-erection in November. No shaking
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Minsk24: 4:57am On Jun 04, 2020
proxillin:

Lol... You see how biased you are... Daang.. Did you not complete the article to see that the WHO has no rights to engage in independent investigation and must rely on info from their host country.. WHO was trying to extract info from China and hence they praised them publicly which yielded results... The same inefficient Trump was briefed about the virus early but did nothing..
Now he blames the WHO,
Right wing people have an issue of using their brains to think for themselves... Sorry for the harsh words tho, but it's pathetic..
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Jokerman(m): 10:29am On Jun 04, 2020
Trump is a great leader. Not easily manipulated like sleepy joe �...

He took his stand like great leaders of old
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by proxillin(m): 10:33pm On Jun 04, 2020
Minsk24:

Lol... You see how biased you are... Daang.. Did you not complete the article to see that the WHO has no rights to engage in independent investigation and must rely on info from their host country.. WHO was trying to extract info from China and hence they praised them publicly which yielded results... The same inefficient Trump was briefed about the virus early but did nothing..
Now he blames the WHO,
Right wing people have an issue of using their brains to think for themselves... Sorry for the harsh words tho, but it's pathetic..

DO you have mental decadence ? You said WHO was trying to get info from China, but because china did not cooperate, WHO had to lie to the world including Trump.

How is that too hard for your thick brain to understand?
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by Minsk24: 10:39pm On Jun 04, 2020
proxillin:

DO you have mental decadence ? You said WHO was trying to get info from China, but because china did not cooperate, WHO had to lie to the world including Trump.

How is that too hard for your thick brain to understand?

So who's fault is it.. And dumb folks like you fail to understand that not much was known about the virus which led to delay of info.. Brainwashed fellow like you quick to absolve Trump of blame.. WHO has limits and no rights to pressure a host nation.. Read the article on CNBC and stop saying thrash. Why is it only the republican people that are criticizing WHO..
Ode that cant Think
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by AllenSpencer: 12:22am On Jun 05, 2020
Gibberish!

Wasnt Trump praising China about their response to the virus in February?

He is just shifting blames to cover up his failures!

Jan. 22, Twitter:

“One of the many great things about our just signed giant Trade Deal with China is that it will bring both the USA & China closer together in so many other ways. Terrific working with President Xi, a man who truly loves his country. Much more to come!”

Jan. 24, Twitter:

“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Jan. 29, Remarks at signing ceremony for the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement:

“And, honestly, I think, as tough as this negotiation was, I think our relationship with China now might be the best it's been in a long, long time. And now it's reciprocal. Before, we were being ripped off badly. Now we have a reciprocal relationship, maybe even better than reciprocal for us.”

Jan. 30, Fox News interview:

"China is not in great shape right now, unfortunately. But they're working very hard. We'll see what happens. But we're working very closely with China and other countries."

Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.:

"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."

Feb. 7, Twitter:

“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!

Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:

"Late last night, I had a very good talk with President Xi, and we talked about — mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard, and I think they are doing a very professional job. They're in touch with World — the World — World Organization. CDC also. We're working together. But World Health is working with them. CDC is working with them. I had a great conversation last night with President Xi. It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job.”

Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:

"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."

Feb. 10, campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.:

“I spoke with President Xi, and they’re working very, very hard. And I think it’s all going to work out fine.”

Feb. 13, Fox News interview:

“I think they've handled it professionally and I think they're extremely capable and I think President Xi is extremely capable and I hope that it's going to be resolved."

Feb. 18, remarks before Air Force One departure:

“I think President Xi is working very hard. As you know, I spoke with him recently. He’s working really hard. It’s a tough problem. I think he’s going to do — look, I’ve seen them build hospitals in a short period of time. I really believe he wants to get that done, and he wants to get it done fast. Yes, I think he’s doing it very professionally.”
Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by AllenSpencer: 12:34am On Jun 05, 2020

Re: Trump Was Right About WHO. WHO Is Now Attacking China After Wasting Lives. by FarahAideed: 12:41am On Jun 05, 2020
AllenSpencer:

Same Forbes! https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2020/02/01/trumps-deficits-are-racing-past-obamas/#41d2eef48199

Why will there not be deficit when Trump has spent over 2 trillion dollars shielding the Economy from the thoughtless lockdown ..Let me give you bad dream small

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama / 140 Nigeria Police Officers Arrive Somalia For Peace Keeping / U.S. Forces Were Training The Guinean Soldiers Who Took Off To Stage A Coup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.