Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us (1053 Views)

Court Legalises Abalaka's HIV Vaccine, 16 Years After / HIV/AIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by GabyLynn: 4:40pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hi all,
I am calling on any HIV postive person that travel across the Nogerian border to enlighten me on how to cross with my Retroviral Drug in my Hand Luggage without any problem.
My family are based in the US am expecting, just got diagnose during Antenatal care with a high CD4 count, Mum is expecting me to come over for delivery.
Medicine has advanced, baby will be fine.
Problem is, can I cross into US with my drugs? If you are on one, then you know important it is not to miss the timing not to think of stopping the drugs, hoping to acquire on arrival which may be late.
Well, I am open for all the usuals on Nairaland,
Just looking for people like me to help me out.
Before I forget, Mum and family are not aware of this development,
Pls, Are there HIV + mothers who have travelled to the US to have their kids here? How is it like?
Do they discriminate?
Can they keep it away from family members?
NB,
I am happily married to a wonderful man who remains HIV- and has been my Rock, Father, Husband and all you can think of, extremely loving me unconditionally.
Thank you for reading my long story,
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by GabyLynn: 8:09pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hi NairaLanders,
I know this is my cross, but pls I need help here.
Mothers, Wives, Travellers, Doctors, and all knowledgeable individuals, try and drop a line or two,
Biko,
Cheers
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by evilspirit: 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2011
some drugs are prohibited from being transferred to the us.i'm not sure the category anti retroviral drugs belong.make more research and all the best.you are lucky to have such a wonderful hubby.were you diagnosed after marriage and how come your hubby is negative
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by geegee(f): 9:02pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I'm hiv + too but I'm not on ARV drug but I can assure u its not a problem travelling with them. All u need to do is put them in ur hand bag where it can easily be seen. When asked what it is for u can tell them quietly.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by evilspirit: 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2011
@geegee after reading some of your threads and posts ,you are an inspiration.i will go to yaba to get tested on Monday but  your story is complex.how come you were positive and your hubby negative.is he still negative?do you think he would still love you if he knew he was negative the day you brought in the result because he will think he didnt infect you wont even cry talk less of revealing his mistakes.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by GabyLynn: 11:10pm On Jan 21, 2011
@geegee
thank you very much for your response, my dear the thing just dey oh,
my cd4 count does not qualify for drugs as well, but once pregnant it is mandatory to start the drug (PTMCT).
I am thinking it is safer in hand luggage, though I learnt that Obama has lifted up the ban on the restriction of HIV persons entering the US for whatever purpose. JUst dont want to be part of the experimental few.
@evilspirit
thank you so much, everything is ok for now.
once your husband trust and married you, whatever comes out of it is just distractions,
I cant explain how this happened, I've been married to him for 4years, though never had a Test (over confidence of my lifestyle? I guess) this is our first pregnancy.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by GabyLynn: 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2011
My dear NairaLanders,
I know how serious this topic is, and understand how and why those affected may not publicly advise me. Though I've recieved great advices here, I just want to plead with anynone who may wish to open up to me privately to do so via my email address:
gaby_lynn@yahoo.com
thank you very much, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Cheers
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by citadeledu: 10:46am On Jan 31, 2011
i am tired of reading your post asking same question.

My brother is positive for 21 years,he is married and his wife who is pregnant and on ARV travels with arv to both US and UK and AUSTRIA.had her first baby through C-section and second normal delivery.all negative,dont let anyone scare you ,push your baby.well i dont think you have a problem with your status you sound informed and confident.

Even before you US lifted thier ban they 've going to deliver,they simply post their drugs to dhl office in the city they are viiting.
There is limit to how many days you can carry at least for a week,The drugs you will be given is like 700 usd a month and trust me you cant afford it unlike UK where we have totally free medication for a drug worth 500 GBP sterling,

once you arrive dont go to a hospital go to a heart to heart centre,like GHT george house trust pretend you just wanna take a test, you will get first
class free treatment.you can just walk in and get 30 usd anyday you come.your baby will get free milk and so many other beneficiary.

anyway let me stop here
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by GabyLynn: 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2011
@citadeledu
ai ya, no taya for me biko,
thank you so much for your replies, they are really assuring.
my Mama na Iron lady(and a midwife), na she dey chose hospital,
but I've been informed that, they Doctors can be very discreet. My Doctor here advise me to informed the Doctor on arrival how far I've come
with my drugs, before registering.
No taya abeg, are you advising me to post my drugs to dhl office now, or it doesnt matter the quantity since the ban has been lifted.
thank you so much, really appreciate.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by citadeledu: 10:28pm On Jan 31, 2011
MY DEAR DHL THE REMAINING OR BETTER STILL YOU CAN PUT THE 3 MONTHS STOCK IN YOU MAIN TRAVEL LUGGAGE SO THEY CAN SCREEN IT WITHOUT YOU EVEN KNOWING.BUT BEST OPTION IS TO DHL THE REMAINING DRUGS.THE BORDER IS STILL A STRICT ONE .if you carry plenty they have every right to believe you are an intending immigrant,take 2 weeks stock preferably.best of luck.
Re: Hiv+ Mama, Travelling To The Us by Ochick: 12:37pm On Mar 10, 2011
citadeledu:

i am tired of reading your post asking same question.

My brother is positive for 21 years,he is married and his wife who is pregnant and on ARV travels with arv to both US and UK and AUSTRIA.had her first baby through C-section and second normal delivery.all negative,dont let anyone scare you ,push your baby.well i dont think you have a problem with your status you sound informed and confident.

Are you serious about your bro. That's sooo uplifting,

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Child Bearing In The Us / Stubborn TYPHOID What Should I Do?? / Surprising Health Benefits Of Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.