Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless (46999 Views)

Nigerian Businesses Gradually Going Cashless (Photos) / Never Use Wema/alat ATM Cards For Int'l Transactions.. / What's Wrong With My Wema Bank ALAT App (please Help) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by amaifehenry(m): 9:23am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:
I am so pissed off right now.

I wasn’t angry when I broke the card. I just wanted to make sure that:

i. I will not be able to use the card or account anymore.

ii. I will be forced to open a new regular bank account.

The Story (in brief)

I suffered a failed POS transaction yesterday.

I sent Wema ALAT a mail and they are yet to reply as of now (almost 24 hours later).

I called them this morning and listened to a recorded message about how my call may be delayed because of COVID-19. I quickly cut the call. Their customer wasn’t effective before the virus came along, so I wonder what to expect now.

I later visited their bank and the customer care rep told me the transaction will be reversed within 14 days, if they were sure that I was really unable to withdraw the money.

14 days? Why is this so?

The money doesn’t even belong to me and the owner is very angry with me right now. Someone sent it to her and she wanted to use someone else's account to receive it, but I convinced her to use me—and then this happened.

Worse, she needs it for feeding and I don't have any money to give her. (She wasn’t paying me for the service in case you’re wondering.)

I suffered the same thing in the hands of GTB. (Their regular customer service email complaints@gtbank.com isn't even working anymore.)

In fact, I opened a WEMA Alat account because of GTB’s failures. I thought Alat will be better since they marketed themselves as a “Digital Bank”, but it appears that I was wrong. They are “digital” in name only.

This should be the third or fourth time WEMA Alat is doing this sort of nonsense to me. And that is without counting the failed mobile and POS transfers.

I am actually not concerned about GTB’s and Wema’s failures. I just hate their terrible customer service.

Failed transactions are one thing. I actually consider them normal. However, poor customer service and unwillingness to quickly solve failed online transactions aren’t. And this is unfortunately common with most banks and businesses in this country.

Now, I’ve have made the decision to stop going cashless. I will start moving around with cash henceforth. I’m sick and tired of all these failed POS transactions and sluggish customer service reps.

I know I will still do some online transactions but that will be occasionally (online shopping, international payments, etc.)

That said, I want you all to answer these two questions:

1. Which bank is reliable for online transactions?

2. Which bank has the most effective customer care service in this country?

I’m thinking of opening a Union bank account since I can see they have revamped their business, but I don't want to jump into conclusions as I did with Alat.

Could you all help me out?

P.S. Please UBA and Skye (if this one still exists) are out of the equation. I used them in the past and can confidently say they are terrible. They steal money.

I don’t want Access bank too. I’ve never read anything good about them. They and fraud are relatives. I don’t want Diamond bank either since they are the new owners of Access bank.

So, any suggestions?

Hi. Very simple. Go to their social media handles : Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Go their and seriously drag them. Look for their latest tweet or post with the highest number of comments. Go under the comments and drag them. Make a good case by explaining exactly what happened, upload screenshots. Check back later and you'll get a reply. Then follow it up by providing those screenshot or uploads again. Thank me later. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Blackbishop(m): 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
lilachiever:

The only bank I can recommend is Zenith Bank.

PS: I've used FBN and they were thrash, lost 50K to their incompetency. I use GTB too, but only as a transaction account and I don't leave more than 5K in the account (never experienced a failed transaction too.

My own thing is that I'd never ever use a POS no matter what, if the POS outlet won't take transfer I'll just Waka and if I want to withdraw using ATM, I'd make sure to use my bank's ATM gangan...

Oga I am using UBA and I don't have any issue with them since 2007.... So you complaining about virtually all the banks baffles me... As an ex banker once you report a cash retract or dispense pending issues, first report at the branch level then start calling customer care line they will give you the code of your report so you can track the progress of your complains. And believe me it works. They will be calling you from time to confirm if you have received the alert
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Naijaarchive(m): 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
I use ALAT and Gtbank too but never experience either dispense or pos error... The only time I experienced error was during a airtime transaction of around 2k on ALAT... I contact them on Instagram.. Was asked to send the transaction details or screenshot and it was reversed same day... Within an hour i think.. I guess the Covid-19 is affecting their customer service... I always get audiences with them.

No Bank in Nigeria is perfect or free from dispense errors let's face the truth... What matters is reversal rate...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Lamanii22(f): 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
Try FCMB
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Sterope(f): 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
Stanbic IBTC has been the best for me. Zenith isn't bad either.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Jabioro: 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
On your own,you are a terrible customer,hard to deal with, difficult to satisfied..Opay or Paycom bank may your bank..

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Deicide: 9:24am On Jun 05, 2020
I broke my own Because the bank is useless, told them to close my account they keep giving excuses and telling me trash

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Saynotoapc(m): 9:25am On Jun 05, 2020
Op try Vbank.
Transaction are made online.
There customer service is top notch.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Tboymessiah(m): 9:25am On Jun 05, 2020
mhizv:

Fidelity!? That bleeped up bank?

They still owe me 10k since last yr! And a failed transfer of 7k this year!

They keep posting me! Next 7 days ! Next 7 days.

They only paid back a recent failed transaction,after I told them I had sent an email to CBN...cos they'd pay double if CBN confirms the failed transaction,and a delay In refund from them.

bro, please guide me on how to mail Cbn, on this issue...

hope to hear from you.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 05, 2020
FCMB: This bank got the best customer care
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by NaijadrivaCars: 9:26am On Jun 05, 2020
Op, there is a link you can report the erring bank to CBN and they will pay you N10000 extra for not reversing your payment in 24hrs.

Your Bank Fails To Resolve Your Complain

If after lodging your complaint your Bank still fails to engage you and resolve the complaint within 2 Weeks as provided for in the ATM HELP DESK Circular, you have the right to escalate your complaint to the Consumer Protection Department (CPD) of the CBN.

Complaints to Consumer Protection Department

You can only direct your Complaints to CPD upon the failure of your Bank/Financial Institution to resolve your complaint within the 2 weeks timeline given by the CBN.

Contacting Consumer Protection Department

You can contact the CPD through the following channels: 
E-mail: cpd@cbn.gov.ng 
Letter: Director, Consumer Protection Department 
Central Business District, Abuja 
Your letter of Complaint should be addressed to the Director, Consumer Protection Department. You can submit your letter at the CBN Head Office OR at any of the Central Bank of Nigeria branches of nationwide. 
Does the CPD Deal with all Types of Complaints? 
The CBN deals with all financial related complaints so far as it is against Financial Institutions within its regulatory purview. How to Write an Effective Complaints Letter 

Your complaint should be clear and concise to avoid ambiguity. The Complaint letter (petition) should contain amongst other things the following: 
• Name, Address, Contact Phone Number & E-mail of the Complainant; 
• Name of your Financial Institution; 
• Personal banking details (Do NOT include PIN & Passwords, pleasewink 
• History/Date of the transaction in dispute; 
• Amount claimed (if any); 
• Attach relevant documents to support you claim and; 
• Evidence to show that you have first lodged the complaint at your bank. 

You can make your further inquiries and obtain additional information on the Complaints Handling Process of the Central Bank of Nigeria from the Complaints Unit of your Bank/Financial Institution or from CBN offices nationwide.

From CBN website

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Naijaarchive(m): 9:26am On Jun 05, 2020
amaifehenry:

Hi. Very simple. Go to their social media handles : Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Go their and seriously drag them. Look for their latest tweet or post with the highest number of comments. Go under the comments and drag them. Make a good case by explaining exactly what happened, upload screenshots. Check back later and you'll get a reply. Then follow it up by providing those screenshot or uploads again. Thank me later. Goodluck

This is the best way to get any company attention in Nigeria... Especially Instagram/Twitter.... Works for me always be it bank or telecoms
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Davidem111(m): 9:26am On Jun 05, 2020
Don't near fidelity bank, my gf uses dat bank its just too horrible, I will suggest zenith bank for you

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by nepapole(m): 9:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Just start using kolo
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by alasane: 9:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Wema na bank?...haba
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Vivian16: 9:27am On Jun 05, 2020
FCMB is the way to go, try them
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by chigutz(m): 9:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Fidelity bank is one of the best In terms of being customercentric and improvement in their technology
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Horlamie1997: 9:27am On Jun 05, 2020
I use Wema alat too and the annoying part during this lockdown is that I called but was delayed for so long before I was finally attended to..I spent Over 30mins before my call was picked,they were playing me foolish songs while I was waiting Not knowing my Sim account balance will be deducted for the calls I made to the customer care..the money I loaded to subscribe and make some important calls that morning went for vanishing..imagine how you will feel from account balance of 2500+ to 0.00naira after you checked...and what I complained for hasn’t been rectify uptill now that I am typing

3 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by KingMicky3286: 9:28am On Jun 05, 2020
Nigeria banks are shit , thats why scammers do anyhow with their accounts. They don't take action when things go wrong.

in abroad where i live, when you give a complaint, they will act fast to make their customers happy.

Nigerian banks will make you to regret having a bank account.

We need a banking revolution in Nigeria to meet up with the world standard .
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by amaifehenry(m): 9:28am On Jun 05, 2020
amaifehenry:

By the way. Waiting 14 days is standard banking protocols for resolving failed transactions. Too many fraud so they need to validate. I think its too long sha. I feel your pain. Do as I just said. Also send them a DM as well on those social media handles. Am sorry to say, but threaten to close your account while dragging them.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Ufedolove: 9:28am On Jun 05, 2020
femmyapson:

Bro in this case..
OPAY account is the best solution for you.
No kululu No Kalala.
All you will be doing is just transfer to the POS outlet acc no and receive your cash.
No card maintenance fee palaba.. No debit/credit alert service fee..#0 transfer charges to all bank.
Download their App on playstore to get started

Op, I recommend this too. I personally use it. I don't leave money in any of my banks' accounts. I send them to my Opay account immediately to avoid failed transactions, charges, illegal and unnecessary withdrawal. It's totally free.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Bash92(m): 9:28am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

The Story (in brief)

I sent Wema ALAT a mail and they are yet to reply as of now (almost 24 hours later).

I called them this morning and listened to a recorded message about how my call may be delayed because of COVID-19. I quickly cut the call. Their customer wasn’t effective before the virus came along, so I wonder what to expect now.

I later visited their bank and the customer care rep told me the transaction will be reversed within 14 days, if they were sure that I was really unable to withdraw the money.

14 days? Why is this so?

The money doesn’t even belong to me and the owner is very angry with me right now. Someone sent it to her and she wanted to use someone else's account to receive it, but I convinced her to use me—and then this happened.

Worse, she needs it for feeding and I don't have any money to give her. (She wasn’t paying me for the service in case you’re wondering.)

I suffered the same thing in the hands of GTB. (Their regular customer service email complaints@gtbank.com isn't even working anymore.)

In fact, I opened a WEMA Alat account because of GTB’s failures. I thought Alat will be better since they marketed themselves as a “Digital Bank”, but it appears that I was wrong. They are “digital” in name only.

This should be the third or fourth time WEMA Alat is doing this sort of nonsense to me. And that is without counting the failed mobile and POS transfers.

I am actually not concerned about GTB’s and Wema’s failures. I just hate their terrible customer service.

Failed transactions are one thing. I actually consider them normal. However, poor customer service and unwillingness to quickly solve failed online transactions aren’t. And this is unfortunately common with most banks and businesses in this country.

Now, I’ve have made the decision to stop going cashless. I will start moving around with cash henceforth. I’m sick and tired of all these failed POS transactions and sluggish customer service reps.

I know I will still do some online transactions but that will be occasionally (online shopping, international payments, etc.)

I’m thinking of opening a Union bank account since I can see they have revamped their business, but I don't want to jump into conclusions as I did with Alat.

P.S. Please UBA and Skye (if this one still exists) are out of the equation. I used them in the past and can confidently say they are terrible. They steal money.

I don’t want Access bank too. I’ve never read anything good about them. They and fraud are relatives. I don’t want Diamond bank either since they are the new owners of Access bank.

So, any suggestions?

Try standard chartered bank of Nigeria, have been using them since march, no illegal deduction, free transaction, no maintenance fee charged and you can easily get in touch with there customer care team. They have a toll free line too in case you have a complain.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Larrycool1234(m): 9:29am On Jun 05, 2020
Zenith bank bro ....
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by AdaGod1(f): 9:29am On Jun 05, 2020
yesloaded:

UBA online customer care is ok but they can descut money like tomorrow no dey
their customer care is superb including access but uba can cut money ehhh

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by chinoonew09: 9:29am On Jun 05, 2020
Try ecobank of naija U will like it and their customercare service.. Mine since Feb 6 2009 till nw.,they are tryin.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by confluence: 9:30am On Jun 05, 2020
Sorry about this Op, I bank with GT Bank, am surprised about delay services, i normally send mails to cardservices at GT bank, find out about it ,mails are treated on time.
Shoodboi:

The Story (in brief)

14 days? Why is this so?

So, any suggestions?

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Saynotoapc(m): 9:31am On Jun 05, 2020
Blackbishop:

Oga I am using UBA and I don't have any issue with them since 2007.... So you complaining about virtually all the banks baffles me... As an ex banker once you report a cash retract or dispense pending issues, first report at the branch level then start calling customer care line they will give you the code of your report so you can track the progress of your complains. And believe me it works. They will be calling you from time to confirm if you have received the alert

UBA no follow, did online transaction, it wasn't successful. Went straight to the closest branch made complain to the customer service.
She give me form which I filled, madam had to tell me that this might take months before they reverse the money. What I notice was this failed transaction are being fixed by the head office.
With annoyance I just Waka comot.
Up till date, I'm yet to get my money
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Willy123(m): 9:31am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

ii. I will be forced to open a new regular bank account. [color=#006600][/color]

The Story (in brief)

14 days? Why is this so?

So, any suggestions?You don't wantt this bank you don't want that bank....l will advise you to go for Piggy Bank

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by sliqboy: 9:31am On Jun 05, 2020
Nettybrown:

Just visit any of the branches and see for urself bro.
I agree,
Zenith bank is the best bank for me.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

The Story (in brief)

14 days? Why is this so?

So, any suggestions?

i can vouch for union bank's customer care service.

I'm not too savvy with their online platform, but i dont think it's like GTBank.

UBA is a waste of time. I closed their account years ago, a problem with payment nearly made me lose my first provisional license.l so i closed the account in anger. But i realised i made a fatal error as i had registered it as my salary account for internship. I called their customer care and did all I could to reopen the account to no avail. I had to go through the process of opening another salary account. I then got a call from them last year that they had reopened my account and my ATM CARD was ready. Useless set of people.I haven't gone to meet them
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by JamesHanu(m): 9:32am On Jun 05, 2020
Bro try VFD bank(Vbanking)..
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by woleabayo(f): 9:32am On Jun 05, 2020
well i never had issues with GTB,ACCESS,DIAMOND ..........SO winkPLS RECONSIDER ANY OF THEM

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jeff And Mackenzie Bezos Are Getting Divorced After 25 Years Of Marriage / Profitable Businesses You Can Start From Your Room / Tony Elumelu In 1983 Vs Tony Elumelu In 2003 Vs Him In 2016 (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.