Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless (47030 Views)

Nigerian Businesses Gradually Going Cashless (Photos) / Never Use Wema/alat ATM Cards For Int'l Transactions.. / What's Wrong With My Wema Bank ALAT App (please Help) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by sammysmiles(m): 10:10am On Jun 05, 2020
Adebaba1:
FCMB is not bad tho, you can try them
dat 1 na bank for old people
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by walkwithgod(m): 10:11am On Jun 05, 2020
liverpudian9:

Fcmb keh na Yoruba dier bankers dey speak for abeokuta they are not different from old community bank

Lmao, your comment had me in stiches bro.

Any Bank wey dey outside Lagos,...na dier local dialect Dem dey use run show oo..very irritating
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by spiritedtete: 10:11am On Jun 05, 2020
IFNOTGOD:

not all reversal was 24hrs

even d banks will always tel u 7 working days n d only way to get ur money is to immediately copy consumer protection.

a MFB in lekki, was trying to play me n don't want to credit me with my fixed deposit I had with dem, I simply sent a mail dat my next mail will b to CPD n dey won't line d nasty mail.

not long I got my alert.

now how many of us have utilized dis opportunity.

let me give u a let in, I work in d bank n I resolve issues relating to customers account such as excess charges, account issues anything dat has to do with irregularities in ur acct, now if u come on ur own I may take few days cos cases are many but if I see CBN letter Omo, I drop every job n work on dat issue cos if dem debit bank na me e go affect for KPI.

no bank wants CBN to handle their case cos CBN is always on d side of d customer if u no fit prove ur charges in line with d CBN guide n u pay more

Agreed with everything you wrote... perhaps it's just me.. i use to have issues with dispensed errors... transfer issues.. but since that 24hours rules... i just go to sleep i never experience any excuses... my money comes back in no time... perhaps i was just lucky.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by walkwithgod(m): 10:12am On Jun 05, 2020
The best digital bank now na KUDA DIGITAL BANK.

Zero transaction fees.

Just go to your playstore and download the app.

I'm closing my Alat, Gtb, ecobank and access on Monday.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by snowball11(m): 10:13am On Jun 05, 2020
lilachiever:

The only bank I can recommend is Zenith Bank.

PS: I've used FBN and they were thrash, lost 50K to their incompetency. I use GTB too, but only as a transaction account and I don't leave more than 5K in the account (never experienced a failed transaction too.

My own thing is that I'd never ever use a POS no matter what, if the POS outlet won't take transfer I'll just Waka and if I want to withdraw using ATM, I'd make sure to use my bank's ATM gangan...

Zenith bank is not much a difference from the banks the Op just highlighted. I am sure because you took those measures is the reason you are relatively safe from the hands of Nigeria banks. As a matter of fact, i am still unable to get back my N5200 failed pos transaction i made since last year November with my zenith master card. I went to the bank to lodge a complaint about the failed pos transaction and was told that the money will be reverted after 14 working days. I left the bank and waited for the said 14 working days for me to get back my money all to no avail. I went back to the bank to know why my money wasn't reverted after the expiration of the 14 working days and was given a flimsy excuse of how the money was held by CBN and all that blah, blah, blah. I left the bank angrily and never went back again because i became so busy. I almost forgot about the money not up until this lock down that i decided to call their customer care number to ascertain why until this time that my money is still yet to be reverted to my account. I was taken aback by the response of the agent who told me that the reason my money was not reverted to my account was because the transaction actually went though on the day and that the merchant got the money. I said to the customer agent and yet the bank could not text or call me to inform me of the development;..........a so called 21st century bank in the stature of zenith bank. I was quite disappointed in the bank. As we speak, i am yet to get my money back!

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by lobinche101(m): 10:13am On Jun 05, 2020
A simple tip.
Think of a bank with few number of customers. Erase GTB, FIRST BANK,ACCESS,ZENITH and the so called 'BIG'' banks.
Focus on the slow growing but gradual and steady banks where you can easily walk into without queues to talk to a customer care rep who you can easily build a robust relationship with rather than a bank with millions of customer.
The truth is no matter the bank you are using, the issue will still occur but the grace is in you having a bank you can call your own, you have someone to take to and easily go their and sort your issues without stressing yourself.. we are talking about your money....
KEYSTONE BANK IS THE ONLY SOLUTION I CAN SMELL.. stay safe
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by mako007(m): 10:14am On Jun 05, 2020
liverpudian9:

Fcmb keh na Yoruba dier bankers dey speak for abeokuta they are not different from old community bank
You said abeokuta, they have to employ locals that can effectively communicate with locals

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Offpoint: 10:15am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

Do you know what Ibadan women call LAPO?

Gbomu sori lantern (Putting your breast on a lantern). The worst mistake a businesswoman can make is to borrow money from LAPO. It will end in tears. cheesy cheesy cheesy
It won't end in tears bro....

It'll end in PREMIUM LAGER TEARS PLANTINUM
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Newboss(m): 10:15am On Jun 05, 2020
Stop using Nigerian banks, you won't listen. If any Nigerian company has a South African competitor in Nigeria, use that competitor. Whether it's mobile network, Internet service, banking, Insurance, avoid Nigerian companies if you can. They're very complacent in Nigeria. Maybe they're better outside Nigeria, but definitely not in Nigeria.

In this case, use Stanbic IBTC bank

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by DrDax: 10:15am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:
I am so pissed off right now.

I wasn’t angry when I broke the card. I just wanted to make sure that:

i. I will not be able to use the card or account anymore.

ii. I will be forced to open a new regular bank account.

The Story (in brief)

I suffered a failed POS transaction yesterday.

I sent Wema ALAT a mail and they are yet to reply as of now (almost 24 hours later).

I called them this morning and listened to a recorded message about how my call may be delayed because of COVID-19. I quickly cut the call. Their customer wasn’t effective before the virus came along, so I wonder what to expect now.

I later visited their bank and the customer care rep told me the transaction will be reversed within 14 days, if they were sure that I was really unable to withdraw the money.

14 days? Why is this so?

The money doesn’t even belong to me and the owner is very angry with me right now. Someone sent it to her and she wanted to use someone else's account to receive it, but I convinced her to use me—and then this happened.

Worse, she needs it for feeding and I don't have any money to give her. (She wasn’t paying me for the service in case you’re wondering.)

I suffered the same thing in the hands of GTB. (Their regular customer service email complaints@gtbank.com isn't even working anymore.)

In fact, I opened a WEMA Alat account because of GTB’s failures. I thought Alat will be better since they marketed themselves as a “Digital Bank”, but it appears that I was wrong. They are “digital” in name only.

This should be the third or fourth time WEMA Alat is doing this sort of nonsense to me. And that is without counting the failed mobile and POS transfers.

I am actually not concerned about GTB’s and Wema’s failures. I just hate their terrible customer service.

Failed transactions are one thing. I actually consider them normal. However, poor customer service and unwillingness to quickly solve failed online transactions aren’t. And this is unfortunately common with most banks and businesses in this country.

Now, I’ve have made the decision to stop going cashless. I will start moving around with cash henceforth. I’m sick and tired of all these failed POS transactions and sluggish customer service reps.

I know I will still do some online transactions but that will be occasionally (online shopping, international payments, etc.)

That said, I want you all to answer these two questions:

1. Which bank is reliable for online transactions?

2. Which bank has the most effective customer care service in this country?

I’m thinking of opening a Union bank account since I can see they have revamped their business, but I don't want to jump into conclusions as I did with Alat.

Could you all help me out?

P.S. Please UBA and Skye (if this one still exists) are out of the equation. I used them in the past and can confidently say they are terrible. They steal money.

I don’t want Access bank too. I’ve never read anything good about them. They and fraud are relatives. I don’t want Diamond bank either since they are the new owners of Access bank.

So, any suggestions?

Are you in Lagos? Ikeja?

Union bank at Acme Road is dope.

Let me know when you are going so I can tell my Account Officer to give you a 5 Star treatment.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by ekesol: 10:17am On Jun 05, 2020
People are using international bank , and you went to sign on with Yoruba regional bank without spread. Don't worry they would soon send ur matter to the Oni's table and there they will discuss u matter.
How on earth can u say u don't want Access Bank, zenith,Diamond,or even fidelity. Bros e be like say ur matter we self go table am for oju it's for surulere may be u need Tinubu weed.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by timstone(m): 10:21am On Jun 05, 2020
angelfallz:

i have the same issue of failed transaction on POS with GTBank. they told me mine would be resolved in 8 days. i am patiently waiting. their complaints email is not working, but i have filled out a dispense error form.
You can also escalate to CBN.

I still believed Gt bank is the best
if you try the email and is not working
keep on trying it or you call your desk officer
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by emmydee(m): 10:22am On Jun 05, 2020
Sorry about your predicament. I have 2 Current accounts with GTbank for over 12 years now. Yes, there are dispense errors and other distortions with cashless banking just like with all other banks. But whenever it happens, GTbank has always responded, sometimes even without me walking into the bank. I am surprised you are so hurt about their services but sincerely, GTbank is one of the sharpest in cashless transactions.
UBA deducts money arbitrarily, Access and Ecobank have excessive leakage in terms of fraud and UBN and FBN are "just there". I don't even want to mention WEMA and FCMB, I don't have info on Fidelity but just bear in mind that NIGERIA is still very backwards in all these new technologies especially banking. I advise you continue with GTbank or try Zenith but always be at alert in case of fraud. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by miketayo(m): 10:22am On Jun 05, 2020
funny enuf i never had a problem with reversing failed transactions with my alat account. try zenith bank. last last u will save ur money under ur bed
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Mypeople2(m): 10:22am On Jun 05, 2020
crackhouse:
na zenith bank u want use secure space?
I sent money to someone's Zenith Bank account. The person went to use POS.Do you know it is more than a month now they haven't seen the money ? The money is now hanging on the air since he did the transfer using POS .
So OP, now you can see no bank is exempted and you shouldn't have broken your ATM card because of this.
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Jaemes(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2020
Guy Register and use Kuda Bank
Thank later

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by femi777: 10:26am On Jun 05, 2020
Nettybrown:
Try fidelity

Hmm
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Bizibi(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2020
lilachiever:

The only bank I can recommend is Zenith Bank.

PS: I've used FBN and they were thrash, lost 50K to their incompetency. I use GTB too, but only as a transaction account and I don't leave more than 5K in the account (never experienced a failed transaction too.

My own thing is that I'd never ever use a POS no matter what, if the POS outlet won't take transfer I'll just Waka and if I want to withdraw using ATM, I'd make sure to use my bank's ATM gangan...
exactly!!! I prefer zenith Bank....
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by liverpudian9(m): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Try standard chartered bank no charges on transfers and atms and dey gave me 3k for opening account with dem

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by InvertedHammer: 10:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

The Story (in brief)

I sent Wema ALAT a mail and they are yet to reply as of now (almost 24 hours later).

I called them this morning and listened to a recorded message about how my call may be delayed because of COVID-19. I quickly cut the call. Their customer wasn’t effective before the virus came along, so I wonder what to expect now.

I later visited their bank and the customer care rep told me the transaction will be reversed within 14 days, if they were sure that I was really unable to withdraw the money.

14 days? Why is this so?

The money doesn’t even belong to me and the owner is very angry with me right now. Someone sent it to her and she wanted to use someone else's account to receive it, but I convinced her to use me—and then this happened.

Worse, she needs it for feeding and I don't have any money to give her. (She wasn’t paying me for the service in case you’re wondering.)

I suffered the same thing in the hands of GTB. (Their regular customer service email complaints@gtbank.com isn't even working anymore.)

In fact, I opened a WEMA Alat account because of GTB’s failures. I thought Alat will be better since they marketed themselves as a “Digital Bank”, but it appears that I was wrong. They are “digital” in name only.

This should be the third or fourth time WEMA Alat is doing this sort of nonsense to me. And that is without counting the failed mobile and POS transfers.

I am actually not concerned about GTB’s and Wema’s failures. I just hate their terrible customer service.

Failed transactions are one thing. I actually consider them normal. However, poor customer service and unwillingness to quickly solve failed online transactions aren’t. And this is unfortunately common with most banks and businesses in this country.

Now, I’ve have made the decision to stop going cashless. I will start moving around with cash henceforth. I’m sick and tired of all these failed POS transactions and sluggish customer service reps.

I know I will still do some online transactions but that will be occasionally (online shopping, international payments, etc.)

I’m thinking of opening a Union bank account since I can see they have revamped their business, but I don't want to jump into conclusions as I did with Alat.

P.S. Please UBA and Skye (if this one still exists) are out of the equation. I used them in the past and can confidently say they are terrible. They steal money.

I don’t want Access bank too. I’ve never read anything good about them. They and fraud are relatives. I don’t want Diamond bank either since they are the new owners of Access bank.

So, any suggestions?

/
I have nothing negative to say about Zenith bank compared to other Nigerian banks.

/
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by chitheo(f): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2020
Union bank is very okay. There was a time I called their customer care and I was answered swiftly. Give them a try and I'm very sure you won't regret doing so.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by TGM2015: 10:28am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

Is their customer care reliable? I am very particular about this?
Try Union Bank, I am very sure you will not regret it. You will hardly get a failed transaction using their ATM card, online service (I use the Union Mobile as I have no need for the Online (Web-based) banking. On their customer services, their email is reliable but I will advise you call. One feature why I like the Union Bank is the electronic banking and the ATM security. Union ATM card will not work on Web sites with less security or with high reported fraud, you can choose to switch off (block) your card at time using the Union mobile. I use this feature always, you cannot even get a cash from ATM when it is off, with correct pin, it will tell you to contact your financial institution. This prompt always remind me, I did not on my card, I logged in, switched on (unblock), use the ATM, get my money, turn off the card, and move on.

Union Bank also have WhatsApp and Twitter handle to attend to BASIC accounts issues, though you may get delay respond taking between 1 to 4 hours before they response on those channels. I always choose to call with my registered number.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by wunmi590(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2020
GuestLog:
It was WAR for me to reverse a failed POS transaction from UBA to First Bank. I consider both banks as thieves and fraudulent in nature and charges.

My best experience has been STANBIC BANK. I have never had a reason to call their customer service or know anyone who has complaints beyond what they expect from service. I transact 4-6 times daily and have no complaints whatsoever.

Honestly, you made a valid point about StanbicIBTC, I don't know why most of the people who commented didn't say anything about StanbicIBTC, may be majority of them are not using it.

I have to ditch most bank, even my gtbank for StanbicIBTC, very good customer service, I have never gone to their bank since like 3years I opened their account.

When I have issue, I sit in my house and send them mail, and fiam the issues would be resolved in no time.

Even my reversal don't take more than a day.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by timstone(m): 10:30am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

UBA is not a bank. I have an account there but my ATM has expired. I don't use the account anymore anyway. They were fond of illegally deducting my money back then. They made some funny withdrawals every week or so. Very terrible bank. I still use their AfriCard though, not because I want to but because I have no choice.

I used uba when I was in school any time my parents send money they will deduct
when I withdraw they will deduct
The last thing make me forget the bank
when I have less than a thousand naira I can't withdraw

until a friend told me of Gt bank where I can withdraw to the last zero

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by ctrl09(m): 10:31am On Jun 05, 2020
The issue is so different....... I am a big fan of POS machines, I prefer them to ATM. I have never encountered such occurrence using POS. I dey shine eyes b4 I use POS. banks have this thing from ma research but I may be wrong.
Some interbank transactions are not just okay
i.e using a first bank atm on an access bank or gtb Atm or POS, U may be running a big risk.
U have to understand these Nigeria banks before you make transactions.
All banks have their wahala so my brother choose a new generation bank and shine your eyes b4 making transactions
I use first bank and I am used to their weekend and Monday morning transaction jam.
All I know is my money is cool with them as de are d default bank of Nigeria and has been in existence for a long period of time

2 Likes

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by baobaku(m): 10:32am On Jun 05, 2020
[quote author=Shoodboi post=90305515]I am so pissed off right now.

The Story (in brief)

14 days? Why is this so?

So, any suggestions?

[To me zenith online service is okay and reply email within 5mins]
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by barnawilla: 10:33am On Jun 05, 2020
Shoodboi:

The Story (in brief)

14 days? Why is this so?

So, any suggestions?

No Bank is stealing from you, is all about understanding, Try Heritage Bank, you will thank me later. And moreover POS transaction take a little longer period to settle the dispute unlike other related failed transaction.

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Beedude(m): 10:34am On Jun 05, 2020
Zenith and Union bank wont be bad
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Jaemes(m): 10:34am On Jun 05, 2020
walkwithgod:
The best digital bank now na KUDA DIGITAL BANK.

Zero transaction fees.

Just go to your playstore and download the app.

I'm closing my Alat, Gtb, ecobank and access on Monday.

I swear Kuda Bank is the best.
I'm finally free from all unnecessary deductions made by these thieves that disguise themselves as banks
Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by JesseThunder(m): 10:34am On Jun 05, 2020
Try standard chartered Bank sir and your problems are long gone. Don't try any regular Nigeria Bank. Owning Standard chartered account has lots of advantages. You don't have to move or goto the bank to have a "regular bank account" it works for me and I also transfer money in USD,EUR to any country right from my house. God knows have never been to Standard Chartered Physical bank or office before cause I never experienced any issue with them.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Tapout(m): 10:34am On Jun 05, 2020
emperorlaqrin:

Bros them try for you but sorry I no fit reccommend UBA for my enemy

UBA and their illegal deductions... I no know if na customers money dem dey use fund wizkid contract.

1 Like

Re: Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless by Blackmoran(m): 10:35am On Jun 05, 2020
Try polaris bank or keystone.... You will thank me later..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu In 1983 Vs Tony Elumelu In 2003 Vs Him In 2016 (Pics) / Dangote And Femi Otedola Watching Arsenal Game In London / Shoprite Ilorin Locks Doors As Crowd Stormed Their Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.