Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:54 PM

Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) (57054 Views)

Russian Fighter Jet Shoots Down U.S Reaper Drone Over Black Sea (Photos) / Heavy Rains Trigger Landslide In Japan, At Least Two Dead / North Korea Fires Projectiles Into Sea For Second Week Running (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by tot(f): 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
Elipsis:
Thanks alot. I really appreciate.

If we can develop a cheap housing module in Nigeria, it will really go a long way to address our accommodation issues. As well as being a goldmine for investors.

You identified some issues - hot weather and wet wood that will be destroyed faster. With regular maintenance, cant that be addressed? Like regular treatment or replacement of damaged parts? The same way people patch cracked walls and floors.

As regards security, one can also re-enforce the house with iron bars or something, together with other security measures like alarm systems etc.

It may not be as standard as a regular house, but at least, people will have a decent place to sleep.

What do you think? Cant this be done?

I like when people challenge the norm. You ask really good questions.
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Elipsis: 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2020
tot:

I like when people challenge the norm. You ask really good questions.
Thanks for the compliments. How do you do?
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Mrlazarus: 1:00pm On Jun 05, 2020
No way!!!
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by bezimo(m): 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Elipsis:
Can someone explain to me why these guys don't use cement to build their houses?

I've noticed this in foreign houses. Just plank and small metal. They don't even have foundations. Small breeze, everything don scatter.

Is cement very expensive there abi its illegal to build houses with cement?

I'll appreciate helpful comments.

Cement house like the type we have in Nigeria cannot stand land slide!! Landslide is like moving horizontal earthquake(lateral ripping of the earth) ..how deep your foundation is or type of building material used is irrelevant..
Besides in the western world their buildings substructure(DPC level to foundation) is made up of primarily concrete..the superstructure(upper part of the building) is most times wood except in a few cases where they used concrete blocks.

Also the natural disasters faced by the western world, hurricane tornadoes..you think if Nigerian houses face it..it won't be ripped apart..you must be joking..We are lucky in Nigeria that those type of natural disaster is not prevalent..just flooding which still comes with devastating effects..
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Proudlytips: 1:23pm On Jun 05, 2020
ye
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by tot(f): 1:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Elipsis:
Thanks for the compliments. How do you do?

You're welcome. I'm good thanks.

1 Like

Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Drizzy5001(m): 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
If only dis kind of thing can Visit Aso rock, 9ja 4 beta
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by petitejolie(f): 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
Very scary. But what’s the cause of landslide sef
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Sunky200: 2:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
Elipsis:
Can someone explain to me why these guys don't use cement to build their houses?

I've noticed this in foreign houses. Just plank and small metal. They don't even have foundations. Small breeze, everything don scatter.

reasons are:

1. cement building causes permanent damage to the site
2. ease and reduced cost of removal in case of big development in the future and lots more
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by tlops(m): 2:14pm On Jun 05, 2020
Elipsis:
Thanks alot. I really appreciate.

If we can develop a cheap housing module in Nigeria, it will really go a long way to address our accommodation issues. As well as being a goldmine for investors.

You identified some issues - hot weather and wet wood that will be destroyed faster. With regular maintenance, cant that be addressed? Like regular treatment or replacement of damaged parts? The same way people patch cracked walls and floors.

Yes, it can work in Nigeria. The wood are treated and the house can stand for decades as long as it is maintained. Our weather as mentioned in my earlier comment will affect the house so much as our maintenance culture. So the house will last as long as it is maintained.

Another factor if there is fire and no water, the house will burn down completely and fast. That can be prevented if everyone has some fire extinguisher at home or install auto sprinkler when there is fire.

Elipsis:

As regards security, one can also re-enforce the house with iron bars or something, together with other security measures like alarm systems etc.

It may not be as standard as a regular house, but at least, people will have a decent place to sleep.

What do you think? Cant this be done?

if you start reinforcing the wooden structure with iron bars then the cost may go up as much as concrete... I think the main thing stopping this will be security. Someone mentioned that their house was broken into (literally) recently.

Another (maybe main) factor is also cultural, our fore fathers have preferred building with clay and concrete rather than woods. Maybe its due to their inability to shape the (tree) woods or they think its not safe.

Summarily, I agree with you, we should explore this path as a way of boosting housing shortage in the country.
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Maverickking1(m): 3:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
farem:

A demonic warning ahead.
This one just found a useless loudspeaker to speak through!

Lol okay baby
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by bizzibodi(m): 5:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
See how wooden houses dey float like canoes cry cry cry
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by pacespot(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Countries like Norway only face natural disasters like earthquake, typhoon, landslides, etc. Nothing like inequalities, economic problems or political unrest.
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Clinton207: 1:18am On Jun 06, 2020
thank God no life was lost.
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by bucky123(m): 8:04am On Jun 06, 2020
It’s cold. Wood insulates better than concrete.
Elipsis:

Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by mechanics(m): 11:02pm On Jun 06, 2020
Eyah, it's well, thank God we don't have such in Nigeria.
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by Goodman82135122(m): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2021
Nature's really angry
Re: Huge Landslide In Norway Washes Houses Into Sea (Photos) by WhisperedNoise: 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2022
Mustiboy:

Pretty much everywhere in the world houses and buildings are built with CMU blocks, because they are inexpensive and easy to work with.

My understanding is that the US builders keep building with wood because it is the most inexpensive local construction material and US consumers are obviously not worried about durability. They also probably lack the manpower and knowledge basis for this type of work so they stick with what they know better.

In Europe, people usually expect their house to last several generations, whereas the oldest homes in the US must be 120 years old; maybe there is something about that.

Houses in the US are tore down and rebuilt at a much higher pace than in old Europe.

In the long run, concrete homes are very likely more economical; they last much longer, they do not have mold or termite issues, concrete blocks do not crack or twist like wood does. They hold off much better against elements.

Still, they offer great flexibility; you can easily delete and move the walls as long as they are not bearing the roof.

On top of that, CMU walls have higher fire and weather insulation properties than a typical wood frame wall. A hollow CMU block has a fire rating of 2 hours upgraded to 4 hours if the cells are grouted or filled with other filling materials(which is the case most of the time)

A typical wood frame wall made of 2x6 with 2x 1/2 drywall board and fiberglass wool insulation would likely fail in 30 minutes, unless built with modern 5/8 commercial grade X type gypsum boards; but still the wall would only hold 1 hour against 4 hours with a CMU wall.

The vast majority of houses in the mediterranean do not have air conditionning even though the temperatures often reach over 100 degrees. Walls are typically made of stucco over hollow or grouted (filled) CMU blocks and clay tiles roofs.

People usually keep the windows and doors closed during the hottest hours of the day and open at night so the house remain cold without using ventilation or AC, which proves the effectiveness of such constructions against extreme temperatures

This is detailed man. So instructive.
Are you a civil engineer?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘Rain Bomb’ Hits Australia, Killing At Least 8 ( Pics, Video) / Gaza Militants Practiced Kidnapping Of Israeli Soldiers (Photos) / Photos From Robert Mugabe’s 93rd Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.