Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,478 members, 7,781,399 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:48 PM

Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return (24375 Views)

Odion Ighalo Set To Complete Transfer To Al-Shabab Of Saudi Arabia / Ighalo Set To Leave Manchester United This Week At End Of His Loan Spell / Odion Ighalo Set New Goal Record In Chinese Super League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by robosky02(m): 8:55am On Jun 05, 2020
Man Utd loanee Ighalo open to Super Eagles’ return

Manchester United striker, Odion Ighalo, has revealed he is ‘thinking’ about returning to the Nigeria national team.

The forward played a key role as the West Africans qualified for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after missing the previous two editions in 2015 and 2017.

The former Watford striker emerged as the highest goalscorer in the qualifiers before firing the Super Eagles to a third-place finish in the tournament in Egypt, scooping the top scorer award in the process.

Ighalo, however, announced his retirement from international duty after his five-star performance in the competition, along with the team captain and former Chelsea star John Obi Mikel.

In doing so, the forward cited the difficulty of having to travel the distance between China to Nigeria for national duty.

Ighalo moved to England in January, joining the Red Devils on loan from Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua and has been the toast of the fans with his blistering performances, scoring four goals and providing one assist in only eight games before the suspension of the division due to the outbreak of coronavirus.

The 30-year-old, who recently extended his loan deal with the Old Trafford outfit until January 2021, has not ruled out a return to the Super Eagles.

The forward played a key role as the West Africans qualified for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after missing the previous two editions in 2015 and 2017.

The former Watford striker emerged as the highest goalscorer in the qualifiers before firing the Super Eagles to a third-place finish in the tournament in Egypt, scooping the top scorer award in the process.

Ighalo, however, announced his retirement from international duty after his five-star performance in the competition, along with the team captain and former Chelsea star John Obi Mikel.

In doing so, the forward cited the difficulty of having to travel the distance between China to Nigeria for national duty.

Ighalo moved to England in January, joining the Red Devils on loan from Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua and has been the toast of the fans with his blistering performances, scoring four goals and providing one assist in only eight games before the suspension of the division due to the outbreak of coronavirus.

The 30-year-old, who recently extended his loan deal with the Old Trafford outfit until January 2021, has not ruled out a return to the Super Eagles.

“I am still in contact with Gernot Rohr and Amaju Pinnick, and they congratulated me on my loan deal,” Ighalo told Brila FM.

“I am still thinking about returning to the national team, but right now I want to concentrate on my club career.

“I left the national team because of the distance between Nigeria and China, but now that I am in Manchester and just like life and in my career, you never can tell.”

Since his retirement, young Lille striker Victor Osimhen has been leading the Super Eagles attack with the forward scoring three goals during the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying games against the Republic of Benin and Lesotho.

Victory in both games propelled the three-time African champions to the top of Group L with six points and they were scheduled to take on Sierra Leone in another qualifier in March before it was suspended due to Covid-19.

Ighalo made his international debut for the Super Eagles against Uganda in a friendly in 2015 and had 35 caps for the West Africans, scoring three goals before he surprisingly quit the national team.

The forward’s return to the Super Eagles will boost Nigeria’s aim to win the Africa Cup of Nations in 2021 and qualify for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

https://sportinglife.ng/man-utd-loanee-ighalo-open-to-super-eagles-return/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by OmoDavido(m): 12:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
Welcome back in advance

14 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Centcanada: 12:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ok
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by lexyman(m): 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
Why are people so keen in destroying the SE ... Ighalo coming back to the SE is another disaster looming . There is a system in place and this should not be altered by anyone . Ighalo should stay far away and allow the younger generation of strikers that we have to take the stage .

whoever that wish for this should be declared as enemy of the Super Eagles and enemy of Nigeria

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by gurusnizkid23: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
The voting stuff is everyday pls vote for me
*NIGERIA CAMPUS AWARD 2020.*
An Award platform targeted at rewarding creativity and hardworking West Africans.
Kindly click on this link
www.muchmore9ja.com.ng/awards
to vote for *Ige oyeniyi* under the award category of the comedian of the year
Thank you.
*_Kindly Reboardcast._*��
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Gramps: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
We don't need him. We have osimhen cool
Unless he wants to coach undecided

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by daddycrazy: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
I don't want him to come back. If he hadn't miss that one on one chance against Argentina, who knows? Nigeria might have made it all the way to the semis.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by MilesMaxwell: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
Welcome back home

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by LesbianBoy(m): 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
Why am i not surprised. I saw this coming grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Nathphil(m): 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2020
Come back we need you, and don't turn your back on us again oo, if u are not ready.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by LesbianBoy(m): 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
See in this life just hustle, when you are successful everyone will want to associate with you even if you dey misbehave!

If ighalo had not signed for Man United would they have called him back grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Blazebond(m): 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Abeg make nff ignore him o,make him face him man United alone,he is not needed at the super eagles.

2 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Great! But he can be used for experience sake.
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Coronavirus84: 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Your sins are forgiven my brother, sin no more. Up Manchester United Odion Ighalo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by ODJ124(m): 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
welcome back bro..

11 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by phransix2: 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
Greatest Nigerian Footballer Ever...

Argue with ur keypads

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by BAVOSKI(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
It will be Nice to see you back

2 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by OnPointMan(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
He should come back biko.

Alright, check my signature for your wellness formula
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by XXLMANDIGO: 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
The real Star Boy and not that broke drug addict tongue

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Larryallfather(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ok na, just hope he plays better than just scoring cheap penalty
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by pyyxxaro: 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Who cares
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by INTEGRITYA1(m): 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Beautiful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Exc2000: 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
cool

Thank God oooo

Twitter users should carry there wahala away from his page with their oversabi useless criticism

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by Joefat: 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Welcome in advance..
Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by adiosgracias(m): 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Y now. He should allow Osimhen Shine.

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by longetivity(m): 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Thank you odion jude ighalo

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by joviegghead: 12:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
Okay, that's great. But I'm kinda comfortable with a younger oshimen spearheading the attack.. But, having 2 deadly strikers ain't bad tho. Welcome back in advance. I just hope your 2nd coming ain't gonna be disastrous.

3 Likes

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by collinometricx: 12:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
He must be concussed to have thought of such.

1 Like

Re: Ighalo Set For Super Eagles’ Return by safarigirl(f): 12:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
Come back, and mess up

So that we will forget the AFCON glory, and hold you the way we have held Yakubu for years.

They say bow out when ovation is loudest, it is for a reason. Don't ruin a good ending with unnecessary epilogue.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season / Cristiano Ronaldo Named Player Of The Year At Globe Soccer Awards (Photos) / AFCON 2021: I Was Better Than Mendy – Egypt Keeper, Abou-Gabal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.