Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists (1285 Views)

Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 11:45am On Jun 05, 2020
The original-language words rendered “slave” or “servant” are not limited in their application to persons owned by others, as we know it today. Hebrew word "ʽeʹvedh" which refers to slave or servant can refer to:

1. Persons owned by fellowmen(which is how we understand slavery today - Ex.20:17)

2. Or the term can designate subjects of a king(may or may not be an actual slave but person rendering service - 2Sa 11:21; 2Ch 10:7)

3. Subjugated peoples who paid tribute (these are colonized people forming part of an empire or kingdom, like we had in our time - 2Sa 8:2, 6)

4. "ʽEʹvedh" was also used in referring to worshipers (servants) of Jehovah (1Ki 8:36; 2Ki 10:23) and more specificallyto special representatives of God, such as Moses. (Jos 1:1, 2; 24:29; 2Ki 21:10)

The Greek term douʹlos corresponds to the Hebrew word ʽeʹvedh.

CONDITIONS THAT LEAD TO SLAVERY

1. Before the Common Era. War, poverty, and crime were the basic factors that reduced persons to a state of servitude. Captives of war were often constituted slaves by their captors or were sold into slavery by them. (Compare 2Ki 5:2; Joe 3:6.)
The Israelites experienced being captives many times, unlike in modern times where little captives are taken during warfare and almost everyone is killed. Taking captives were a more humane way of stopping the needless killings and wasting of human lives. International peace organizations like the UNO have done a lot in trying to maintain global peace as such, war is no longer a prominent factor that reduced person's into a state of servitude.

HOW WERE SLAVES TREATED IN ISRAEL?

Laws governing slave-master relationships- the Hebrew slave was to be released in the seventh year of his servitude or in the Jubilee year, depending upon which came first. During the time of his servitude the Hebrew slave was to be treated as a hired laborer. (Ex 21:2; Le 25:10; De 15:12)
A Hebrew who sold himself into slavery to an alien resident, to a member of an alien resident’s family, or to a settler could be repurchased at any time, either by himself or by one having the right of repurchase. The redemption price was based on the number of years remaining until the Jubilee year or until the seventh year of servitude. (Le 25:47-52; De 15:12)
When granting a Hebrew slave his freedom, the master was to give him a gift to assist him in getting a good start as a freedman. (De 15:13-15).

Protections and privileges. The Law protected slaves from brutalities. A slave was to be set at liberty if mistreatment by the master resulted in the loss of a tooth or an eye. As the usual value for a slave was 30 shekels (compare Ex 21:32), his liberation would have meant considerable loss to the master and, therefore, would have served as a strong deterrent against abuse. Although a master could beat his slave, the slave, depending upon the decision of the judges, was to be avenged if he died under his master’s beating (Ex 21:20, Le 24:17).
Certain privileges were granted to slaves by the terms of the Law. As all male slaves were circumcised like all the free males(Ex 12:44; compare Ge 17:12), they could eat the Passover, and slaves of the priest could eat holy things. (Ex 12:43, 44; Le 22:10, 11) Slaves were exempted from working on the Sabbath. (Ex 20:10; De 5:14) During the Sabbath year they were entitled to eat of the growth from spilled kernels and from the unpruned vine. (Le 25:5, 6) They were to share in the rejoicing associated with the sacrificing at the sanctuary and the celebration of the festivals.—De 12:12; 16:11, 14.

2. First-Century Christian Position - In the Roman Empire slaves were very numerous, with Roman individuals owning hundreds and even thousands of slaves. The institution of slavery had the protection of the imperial Roman government which the Israelites were under.
First-century Christians who lived under the Roman government did not take a stand against governmental authority in this matter as they were peaceful and did not advocate a slaves’ revolt. They respected the legal right of others (Roman's, Greek etc), including fellow Christians, to own slaves. But Christian master were to treat their slaves according to the privileges of the Jewish system, which includes granting them their freedom in due time and material benefits to start afresh. The apostle Paul also admonished Christian slaves not to take improper advantage of their relationship with believing masters ( 1 Ti 6: 2) For a slave to have a Christian master was a blessing, as his owner was under obligation to deal righteously and fairly with him.—Eph 6:9; Col 4:1.
In the Christian congregation all persons, regardless of their social status whether slaves or free men, enjoyed the same standing. All were anointed by the same spirit and thus shared in the same hope as members of one body. (1Co 12:12, 13; Ga 3:28; Col 3:11)

3. Enslavement to Sin. This is the last and most common rendition of slavery in the Bible that most people are familiar with so I won't dive into it.

In summary,the highlight of the Bible's dealing with slaves showed it was more than fair. All slaves had a chance of being repurchased at anytime or released at the 7th year of servitude or at the jubilee year, whichever came first. If they were injured in servitude they were to be released immediately, if they were killed in servitude by the master, the master was to be killed in return. They were also to be given a gift on their release to help them not fall back into servitude.

Gbami
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 8:34am On Jun 06, 2020
Illustration of a Roman slave owner and his servants

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 11:31am On Jun 06, 2020
Exodus 21
2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges.[a] He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Leviticus 25
44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

It is very clear that slaves were considered property and that there was a difference between a slave that was an Israelite and one that was not.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 11:43am On Jun 06, 2020
Before they will come and LIE that it is only in the old testament, here is the new testament of the bible condoning SLAVERY.

EPHESIANS CHAPTER 6 VERSE 5.

EPHESIANS,6 VERSE 5: Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 11:55am On Jun 06, 2020
More new testament encouraging and propagating slavery.

TITUS CHAPTER 2 VERSES 9-10.

Titus 2:9–10

NIV

9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, 10 and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:14pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:
Exodus 21
2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must take him before the judges.[a] He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Leviticus 25
44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

It is very clear that slaves were considered property and that there was a difference between a slave that was an Israelite and one that was not.

1. EX 21: 2 - 5. At times slaves held a position of great trust and honor in a household. Giving a slave a wife was not an obligation of his master during his servitude, it was a privilege to be given such. A hebrew slave during his servitude years was aware of the law governing receiving a wife from his master during his servitude years or bearing children from such a wife during his servitude. It was not COMPULSORY he married her but was VOLUNTARY. if he voluntarily chose to exercise this right by marrying her he had the option to leave at the end of his servitude or be a slave for life with his master.

Under the Law governing FREEMEN such still applied. If a man was not able to bear an heir until his death, his brother was to marry his widow and bear male heirs for him. The male child or heir was legally the child of the deceased brother and not the brother who impregnated his widow.—Ge 38:8; De 25:5.

2. Lev. 25: 44-46 - Yes none Hebrew slave could be owned for life and even passed on, but the LAW governing slavery did not make this a MUST, that is why words like CAN are used. It was left at the discretion of the master to decide how to handle his affairs. Other than the right to freedom for the Hebrew slave after 7 years of servitude or at the jubilee year, whichever came first - all other laws governing the privileges and treatment of slaves or servants where the same. If they were injured in servitude Hebrew or no Hebrew they were to be released immediately, if they were killed in servitude by the master, the master was to be killed in return.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:18pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:
Before they will come and LIE that it is only in the old testament, here is the new testament of the bible condoning SLAVERY.

EPHESIANS CHAPTER 6 VERSE 5.

EPHESIANS,6 VERSE 5: Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Did you read the post above? You would have found references to the NEW TESTAMENT. go and read it.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:25pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Did you read the post above? You would have found references to the NEW TESTAMENT. go and read it.

I read where you wrote for a slave to have a master is a blessing!
How slavery can be a blessing to a slave boggles the mind!
How being exchanged for money and having no rights being a blessing to the slave is just sickening and derogatory!

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:28pm On Jun 06, 2020
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_of_L%C3%BCbeck#:~:text=Jesus%20of%20L%C3%BCbeck%20was%20a

The first slave ship was named Jesus and slave traders justified slavery by quoting passages from the Christian bible!

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:30pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:

I read where you wrote for a slave to have a master is a blessing!
How slavery can be a blessing to a slave boggles the mind!
How being exchanged for money and having no rights being a blessing to the slave is just sickening and derogatory!

A Christian master was not to treat his slave harshky but righteously. The summary points to their rights.

In summary,the highlight of the Bible's dealing with slaves showed it was more than fair. All slaves had a chance of being repurchased at anytime or released at the 7th year of servitude or at the jubilee year, whichever came first (majorly Hebrew slaves) . If they were injured in servitude they were to be released immediately, if they were killed in servitude by the master, the master was to be killed in return. They were also to be given a gift on their release to help them not fall back into servitude ( all slaves) .

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Bacteriologist(m): 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
If verses like Exodus 21 were found in the Qur'an or any other religious book for that matter. Christians would talk down on it for as long as forever.

But look at how they dickride slavery, rape and misogyny and attempt to twist it as justifiable just because their bible supports it. Religion breeds evil.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:33pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_of_L%C3%BCbeck#:~:text=Jesus%20of%20L%C3%BCbeck%20was%20a

The first slave ship was named Jesus and slave traders justified slavery by quoting passages from the Christian bible!

Jesus never owned slaves, so their justification was wrong in that sense.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:35pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:
If verses like Exodus 21 were found in the Qur'an or any other religious book for that matter. Christians would talk down on it for as long as forever.

But look at how they dickride slavery, rape and misogyny and attempt to twist it as justifiable just because their bible supports it. Religion breeds evil.

Bacteriologist, I understand your genuine concerns and I will address them in other post. But let's take it one at a time. I'm dealing with slavery now.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

A Christian master was not to treat his slave harshky but righteously. The summary points to their rights.

In summary,the highlight of the Bible's dealing with slaves showed it was more than fair. All slaves had a chance of being repurchased at anytime or released at the 7th year of servitude or at the jubilee year, whichever came first (majorly Hebrew slaves) . If they were injured in servitude they were to be released immediately, if they were killed in servitude by the master, the master was to be killed in return. They were also to be given a gift on their release to help them not fall back into servitude ( all slaves) .

You guys are just sickening and people like you completely disgust me.
This is why I avoid talking to Christian's because you people can justify any sick thing as long as it is written in your silly comic book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:41pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:

You guys are just sickening and people like you completely disgust me.
This is why I avoid talking to Christian's because you people can justify any sick thing as long as it is written in your silly comic book.

Don't attack me, I didn't attack you. Let's focus on the topic. I have explained the concept of slavery in the Bible and it is fair. If a master killed a slave, he was guilty of death no matter his status. You should argue on how unfair it is.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:42pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:

They are just sickening and disgusting they way they try to justify everything in their comic book.
This book supports slavery,murder,rape,misogyny and some many more crimes against humanity and you will see a human being turning logic upside down and trying to justify such rubbish?
People like this just make me feel sick!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Don't attack me, I didn't attack you. Let's focus on the topic. I have explained the concept of slavery in the Bible and it is fair. If a master killed a slave, he was guilty of death no matter his status. You should argue on how unfair it is.

I REPEAT,CHRISTIANS LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK!
I AM NOT READY TO DISCUSS YOUR UGLY AND TWISTED,SICK PERVERSION WITH YOU!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 12:48pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:

I REPEAT,CHRISTIANS LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK!
I AM NOT READY TO DISCUSS YOUR PERVERSION WITH YOU!!

As you prefer.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Dantedasz(m): 12:49pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

As you prefer.

GET THE FVCK OUT OF MY FACE!!
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 12:59pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

1. EX 21: 2 - 5. At times slaves held a position of great trust and honor in a household. Giving a slave a wife was not an obligation of his master during his servitude, it was a privilege to be given such. A hebrew slave during his servitude years was aware of the law governing receiving a wife from his master during his servitude years or bearing children from such a wife during his servitude. It was not COMPULSORY he married her but was VOLUNTARY. if he voluntarily chose to exercise this right by marrying her he had the option to leave at the end of his servitude or be a slave for life with his master.

Under the Law governing FREEMEN such still applied. If a man was not able to bear an heir until his death, his brother was to marry his widow and bear male heirs for him. The male child or heir was legally the child of the deceased brother and not the brother who impregnated his widow.—Ge 38:8; De 25:5.

2. Lev. 25: 44-46 - Yes none Hebrew slave could be owned for life and even passed on, but the LAW governing slavery did not make this a MUST, that is why words like CAN are used. It was left at the discretion of the master to decide how to handle his affairs. Other than the right to freedom for the Hebrew slave after 7 years of servitude or at the jubilee year, whichever came first - all other laws governing the privileges and treatment of slaves or servants where the same. If they were injured in servitude Hebrew or no Hebrew they were to be released immediately, if they were killed in servitude by the master, the master was to be killed in return.

Only applies to Hebrew slaves and not to non Hebrew slaves.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 1:04pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Only applies to Hebrew slaves and not to non Hebrew slaves.

Protection of slaves were universal in the law code. no distinction is made between Hebrew and none Hebrew slave, as regards protection from harm or maltreatment under the law code -Ex. 21: 20, 32
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 2:18pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Protection of slaves were universal in the law code. no distinction is made between Hebrew and none Hebrew slave, as regards protection from harm or maltreatment under the law code -Ex. 21: 20, 32

Still means a non Hebrew was considered property. How many people were going to beat their slaves to death or put out their eye? What is that compared to owning a person and their offspring perpetually?
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 2:49pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Still means a non Hebrew was considered property. How many people were going to beat their slaves to death or put out their eye? What is that compared to owning a person and their offspring perpetually?

Not beating a slave to cause injury or loss of life was a sign of humane treatment given to them, unlike how servants are maltreated today in some places.

Like I said the perpetual ownership of a none Hebrew slave was not a MUST, can or may are used in other translations to show this circle can be broken at any time the master decides upon it.

In most cases the slaves later became Proselyte's (A convert, that is, one who embraced Judaism, getting circumcised, if a male.) Non-Hebrew or a non-Israelite who desired to serve Jehovah according to the requirements of true worship had to become a proselyte. A proselyte was responsible to obey all of the Law, and he was to be treated by natural Jews as a BROTHER (Le 19:33, 34; 24:22; Ga 5:3) By becoming a Proselyte, the privileges given to a Hebrew slave can also be extended to them seeing that they are now BROTHERS.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Bacteriologist(m): 2:51pm On Jun 06, 2020
Dantedasz:

They are just sickening and disgusting they way they try to justify everything in their comic book.
This book supports slavery,murder,rape,misogyny and some many more crimes against humanity and you will see a human being turning logic upside down and trying to justify such rubbish?
People like this just make me feel sick!

The power of indoctrination and brainwashing. Somehow they know it is wrong but they find themselves defending it. According to what they have been thought, everything god does is right and good. Even if it involves killing babies in the most cruel manner imaginable.

That's how strong the chains of religious beliefs are on the brain and minds of many people.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:27pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Not beating a slave to cause injury or loss of life was a sign of humane treatment given to them, unlike how servants are maltreated today in some places.

Like I said the perpetual ownership of a none Hebrew slave was not a MUST, can or may are used in other translations to show this circle can be broken at any time the master decides upon it.

In most cases the slaves later became Proselyte's (A convert, that is, one who embraced Judaism, getting circumcised, if a male.) Non-Hebrew or a non-Israelite who desired to serve Jehovah according to the requirements of true worship had to become a proselyte. A proselyte was responsible to obey all of the Law, and he was to be treated by natural Jews as a BROTHER (Le 19:33, 34; 24:22; Ga 5:3) By becoming a Proselyte, the privileges given to a Hebrew slave can also be extended to them seeing that they are now BROTHERS.

Wow. So enslave someone then when he converts to your religion he becomes free? You don't see what the problem with this is?

How does the master having the power to free the slave mean that we have a misconception of slavery in the Bible? Slavery means owning someone as property and that is exactly what it is in the Bible.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:30pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:

The power of indoctrination and brainwashing. Somehow they know it is wrong but they find themselves defending it. According to what they have been thought, everything god does is right and good. Even if it involves killing babies in the most cruel manner imaginable.

That's how strong the chains of religious beliefs are on the brain and minds of many people.

This was my path to getting out of religion, realizing that once I didn't have to defend any of it, then it could not make sense to me. The need to defend it at all cost will allow them to twist their intellect to the task. No more gymnastics for me.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 3:34pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Wow. So enslave someone then when he converts to your religion he becomes free? You don't see what the problem with this is?

The summary of the pathway to freedom for a non Hebrew slave based on what I have said can be summarised as three, which ever came first.

1. The master can break the cycle at any time and let him go
2. The master hurts him and must let him go
3. The slave becomes a proselyte and his master must grant him all the rights of a Hebrew slave which includes letting him go when due.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Also not only did it support slavery within the Hebrew nation, it supported slavery elsewhere because it tells them they can go and buy slaves from other nations. Where are those people going to get slaves if not to go enslave some other people. This is not a good scenario by any stretch of the imagination.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Bacteriologist(m): 3:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

This was my path to getting out of religion, realizing that once I didn't have to defend any of it, then it could not make sense to me. The need to defend it at all cost will allow them to twist their intellect to the task. No more gymnastics for me.

Interesting. I also did use to reiterate the apologist "GOD is GOD" phrase. I think the point at which the mental gymnastics become unbearable is where the individual throws in the towel and actually begins to think.

Why would a loving, most benevolent god permit the slavery of any people under any circumstances at all. God asks us to love our enemies and then goes ahead to torture his forever in an eternal oven.

Indoctrination makes theists harder to see this obvious truth. But we have to try anyway.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

The summary of the pathway to freedom for a non Hebrew slave based on what I have said can be summarised as three, which ever came first.

1. The master can break the cycle at any time and let him go
2. The master hurts him and must let him go
3. The slave becomes a proselyte and his master must grant him all the rights of a Hebrew slave which includes letting him go when due.

It doesn't matter one bit because nobody should have the power to enslave another human being. If your god could not instruct the Hebrews to find some other solution then your god is not only not an all wise god, he is no better than a barbarian warlord.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 3:40pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Also not only did it support slavery within the Hebrew nation, it supported slavery elsewhere because it tells them they can go and buy slaves from other nations. Where are those people going to get slaves if not to go enslave some other people. This is not a good scenario by any stretch of the imagination.

Before the Common Era. War, poverty, and crime were the basic factors that reduced persons to a state of servitude. Captives of war were often constituted slaves by their captors or were sold into slavery by them. (Compare 2Ki 5:2; Joe 3:6.)
The Israelites experienced being captives many times, unlike in modern times where little captives are taken during warfare and almost everyone is killed. Taking captives were a more humane way of stopping the needless killings and wasting of human lives. International peace organizations like the UNO have done a lot in trying to maintain global peace as such, war is no longer a prominent factor that reduced person's into a state of servitude.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:40pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:

Interesting. I also did use to reiterate the apologist "GOD is GOD" phrase. I think the point at which the mental gymnastics become unbearable is where the individual throws in the towel and actually begins to think.

Why would a loving, most benevolent god permit the slavery of any people under any circumstances at all. God asks us to love our enemies and then goes ahead to torture his forever in an eternal oven.

Indoctrination makes theists harder to see this obvious truth. But we have to try anyway.

You hit the nail bro. Imagine that the so called prince of peace is going to come and turn in his enemies into eternal fires, it boggles the mind that people cannot see the contradiction.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Beliefs In Every Day Language. / Observing Lent / Internet: Instrument of the Coming Anti-christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.