Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,484 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:23 PM

Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job (59244 Views)

Biden Asked To Endorse Okonjo-iweala For WTO Top Job / Patrick Lumumba Picks Okonjo-iweala Over His Country’s Candidate For WTO Top Job / Okonjo-Iweala May Lose Out On WTO Top Job As AU Considers Other Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by dre11(m): 5:28pm On Jun 05, 2020
by Oluseyi Awojulugbe

Egypt has requested that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination to contest for the office of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) should not be recognised.

It said member states of the African Union (AU) had been required to nominate candidates for the director-general position by November 30, 2019 — over five months ago.

TheCable had reported on Thursday that President Muhammadu Buhari approved Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination to contest for the position and withdrew the candidacy of Yonov Frederick Agah, Nigeria’s permanent representative to WTO.

In a letter to the candidature committee on Friday, the permanent mission of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the AU said the Office of Legal Consent opined that Nigeria’s nomination of a new candidate “is not in conformity with the executive council decision”.

In the letter, seen by TheCable, the Egyptian mission urged the ministerial committee on candidatures to officially inform the African Group in Geneva that Abdulhameed Mamdouh of Egypt and Eloi Laourou of the Republic of Benin are currently the “only two endorsed African candidates”.

“During the ambassadorial level ministerial committee on candidatures meeting which was held on June 4, 2020, the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) gave its legal opinion regarding Nigeria’s nomination of a new candidate to the post of WTO-DG, in which the OLC clearly highlighted that – from a legal point of view- such a nomination is not in conformity with the executive council decision EX.CL/Dec. I 090(XXXVI), since the council’s decision, had specifically endorsed the three names of candidates as submitted by the ministerial committee’s report after thoroughly examining the qualifications and professional experience of each of the three above mentioned candidates,” the letter read.

The mission urged the legal counsel office to provide its opinion on “the conformity of Nigeria’s new nomination with executive council decision no. EX1072 of July 2019, which requested member states to nominate candidates to the position of director-general of the World Trade Organisation by November 30, 2019.

“The conformity of Nigeria’s new nomination as presented in its note verbal with the rules of procedure of the ministerial committee, specifically rule 11, para (1), (2), (3), (4);

“If the new nomination – in the event it is submitted officially to the WTO in Geneva- could constitute a failure to comply with the decision of the executive council and be subject to sanction for non-compliance as mentioned in Rule I 6 of the rules of procedure of the ministerial committee.”

The mission also said it has started consultations with the Republic of Benin “with the aim of reaching a consensus on one African candidate between the only two currently endorsed African candidates and will communicate the outcomes of these consultations to the esteemed ministerial committee at the soonest possible date”.

Okonjo-Iweala, 65, served twice as Nigeria’s minister of finance — from 2003 to 2006 under President Olusegun Obasanjo and from 2011 to 2015 under President Goodluck Jonathan.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-egypt-wants-okonjo-iweala-disqualified-from-wto-top-job

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Ezennwa(m): 5:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
hmm!

Who is Egypt? A tree does not make a forest, Egypt is Inconsequential for now.

316 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by JasonScoolari: 5:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
Maybe the Egyptians would have preferred Kemi Adeosun... grin

Dear Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,

Please relax ma'am, because the Egyptians you see today, you shall see them no more....

Nah God dey your back, nor be Eczema.

637 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Righteousness89(m): 5:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
What I am gonna say is strange!

But for some deep Spiritual Reasons,
I Support Egypt on this!

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Mysticwebb: 5:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Over five months ago. An unserious president is the major problem with this administration.

167 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by WeneWali: 5:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Make I put my ears for ground first dey monitor.

I know why I tanda for here. cool

4 Likes

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Racoon(m): 5:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
So who is Egypt putting forward? NOI is Africa's best card for now.This position is all about international diplomacy wherein the continent need to put it's best foot to negotiate better packages since the developed nations of the world are not ready to allow the developing let alone third world nations to survive.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
If only Egypt knows she is a freemason agent, they have chosing a wrong battle with that woman. The illuminatis respect her alot.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Slawormir: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

All those low budget asss Egyptian thinking they are the real niggarrrs of Africa

Fuckkk them
Low budget asss Moda fuckkkers

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Olalekanbanky1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
sadni
Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by uwa1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Hmmm... What are the Egyptians up to...
Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by coputa(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Why the sudden switch to okonjo iweala,was there no due consultation.

15 Likes

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by GboyegaD(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
This kind funny battles sometimes.
Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Dididrumz(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
She's a brilliant woman

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
She is the best for the Job. Meanwhile sub your dstv and gotv cheaply and contact us for any issues.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2020
Wetin come be dem own nah?!

Bad Belle people.

Anyways.....

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the nomination of Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, former coordinating minister for the economy, for the position of director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), TheCable can report

........whoever Our darling Daddy endorses is a winner.
A man after God's heart.
They want to bury Our darling Daddy,
they don't know he is a seed.

Okonjo, noting do you.
PMB "Our Darling Daddy" has laid his blessed hands on you, he belongs to everybody.
Carry Gooooooo.........

( Any wailing zombie that can count the number of times the phrase 'our darling daddy' is written on this post,
gets a prize, your time starts now our darling wailers..........
tongue

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by mediocre(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ain't reading all that but fvck them

3 Likes

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Righteousness89(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kenplay:
If only Egypt knows she is a freemason agent, they have chosing a wrong battle with that woman. The illuminatis respect her alot.

Flesh and blood have not Revealed this to u

16 Likes

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Emmaxlee(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Lalasticlala

Please move my recent topic to front page

Check education section

1 Like

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Belaashoorey(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
This okonjo is now an international entity

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by PericomaNwankwo: 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Trying to decimate future obstacles. Lol. Nigeria doesn't want to gamble with that position so it changed their nomination to Okonjo because she stands a better chance of beating the two other African nominees to that position. Egypt, sensing the danger ahead, wants her nomination rejected because they know with her in line, their nominees stand no chance. grin grin

105 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Munzy14(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ngozika ahead ahead....Egypt u see now, u shall see them no more

let me touch u holy water for protection.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by nomenclature(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
You name says it all,idiot
Righteousness89:

I Support Egypt on this!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by Olarewaju89: 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
1.Adewumi Adeshina (AFDB)

2. Okonjo - iweala

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by SweetCunt97(f): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
Righteousness89:

I Support Egypt on this!
Which stupid spiritual reasons?! Guy better go and get sense cos this ur spiritual nonsense won't help u.

If Jack Ma na Nigerian na so una for scam the poor man say na his father family dey do am.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by eugenela(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
Keep quite
Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by tillaman(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
An average Egyptian suffers from OCD, dummies I freaking despise them!
They clearly want their candidate to assume the post!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job by styless(f): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
For WHY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Amaechi Said About Wike's Ministerial Nomination 4years Ago..!!! / Joke Silva At APC Women Rally For BAT2023 (Photos) / 'Any Army Sent To South-East Will Die' - Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.