Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? (44364 Views)

Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / At 23 Years Old, I Have No Idea What I Am Doing With My Life / Man Buys His Daughter N35m BMW, A Job, An Apartment For Graduating At 23(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by AmIaYahooGirl(f): 11:03am On Jun 06, 2020
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl, 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks, worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

Your humble opinion is needed, thanks

156 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Michelle55: 11:13am On Jun 06, 2020
There's absolutely nothing wrong in staying alone.. Just be mindful of the kinda company you keep and exercise self-control at all times.
You can't please everyone dear, just live your best life and be true to yourself!
No one has the monopoly to your happiness.. If staying alone gives you the peace of mind you deserve as human, then go for it.

578 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Amotolongbo(f): 11:17am On Jun 06, 2020
Dear OP,

You aren’t wrong with your decision staying alone.
There is nothing wrong with staying alone, though it makes you vulnerable as a young lady.

It is actually the situation of things that makes it seem bad for a lady of your age deciding to stay alone. In saner clime, though there aren’t saner clime but saner people, at age 18, you should have left home to be on your own.

If you are happy staying alone, continue living alone. You can as well look for a partner to live with you to share the burden of house rent and relieve your loneliness.

My advice to you is that, never tell any man you don’t trust so much that you live alone, men actually love preying on young girls living alone due to their vulnerability

433 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Mindlog: 11:29am On Jun 06, 2020
My younger sister relocated, started working and living alone in a foreign country at age 22. So if you get the opportunity to work legitimately outside Nigeria, will you reject it because you have no relative in that country?

So it is not a bad idea and going back to your cousin's place should be a no-no.

262 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by CsRockefeller(m): 11:35am On Jun 06, 2020
Lol. You are still bothered about what people say in this 2020?

My dear, give no f**k as long as you live a responsible life.

280 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Ningen(m): 11:40am On Jun 06, 2020
Your vulnerability as a woman is the cause of their concern. Living alone, isolated, as a lady makes you stand out as a target to criminals.

But strangers aren't really a threat to you.
It's your associates and neighborhood.

So be acquainted with others to have your back.
Especially in terms of emergency.

137 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2020
Well i do not see anything wrong with you living alone.
Heck you have peace of mind now, knowinv your struggles is for yourself.
Girl you really do not know what privilege you have.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by efewizey(m): 3:43pm On Jun 06, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl , 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks,worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

At 32 i stay alone. Doesn't mean a thing.

10 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nmezor(f): 3:51pm On Jun 06, 2020
Not a bad idea but sometimes u could be lonely...Getting a roommate won't be a bad idea though

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Acidosis(m): 4:04pm On Jun 06, 2020
For a girl that sees no wrong in sleeping with a total stranger because she's hot? Well, I won't encourage you to stay alone.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

I'm a young girl , 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks,worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

Though I'm a guy, at 18 I was already living alone.
It's not a bad idea.
For me,it will help you settle down and hustle wella

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by faithfull18(f): 8:11pm On Jun 06, 2020
Amotolongbo:
You aren’t wrong with your decision staying alone.
There is nothing wrong with staying alone, though it makes you vulnerable as a young lady.

It is actually the situation of things that makes it seem bad for a lady of your age deciding to stay alone. In saner clime, though there aren’t saner clime but saner people, at age 18, you should have left home to be on your own.

If you are happy staying alone, continue living alone. You can as well look for a partner to live with you to share the burden of house rent and relieve your loneliness.

My advice to you is that, never tell any man you don’t trust so much that you live alone, men actually love preying on young girls living alone due to their vulnerability
At bolded, true. Don't even let them know where you live.

We only see faces, we don't see the heart and the heart of men is desperately wicked.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Adanna205: 8:27pm On Jun 06, 2020
Nothing is wrong but please be careful of the people you tell you live alone. Please, be security conscious. Living alone will help you focus more and keep your eyes on the goal.
I left home at age 20 to work and I was living away from home before I lost my job and I must tell you the decision helped me because I met lot of people and was able to save some money I intend to use for a business soonest.
I wish you all the very best.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by ecolime(m): 8:59pm On Jun 06, 2020
Nothing bad in it. It's your life so do what is best for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by merieam16(f): 10:08pm On Jun 06, 2020
Its nt a bad idea, i was once in ur shoes at 1 point in Abuja @ 23 too,so no big deal my dear live ur life nd also b careful cos of d rape brouhaha in town nw.

btw, cant u get a roommate so u wont be alone or lonely? my suggestion sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by jericco1(m): 11:34pm On Jun 06, 2020
I don't see anything wrong in that. However how you intend on living might make or mar your progress

6 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Shud I come stay with u?

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Hathor5(f): 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
Go back to your cousin's house? I wonder how some people come up with insane ideas. There is nothing wrong with living alone at 23. You have made it from the street into your own apartment. I respect that. Homelessness is very dangerous, especially for a lady. Some of these ladies advising you to do this or that jumped from daddy's house to hubby's house. They should bow to you.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by HoliMaree: 1:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
If I advice you to buy a guard Dog you will say you can't feed it. Nonetheless that is my advice

7 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by cococandy(f): 1:52pm On Jun 07, 2020
You have done well for yourself, take pride in that.

All in all, be careful for security purposes. Just do your best to get along with your neighbors without selling yourself short. study who is trustworthy and who is not.

Don’t tell everyone everything that’s going on in your apartment but whenever you leave the house, let someone know in case you don’t come back when you told them you planned to. It’s easier to find missing persons if the search starts sooner (not trying to scare you).

Guess what? A 35 old woman living alone is just as vulnerable as you are. You will do great.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Fountainofyouth(f): 5:40pm On Jun 07, 2020
Hathor5:
Go back to your cousin's house? I wonder how some people come up with insane ideas. There is nothing wrong with living alone at 23. You have made it from the street into your own apartment. I respect that. Homelessness is very dangerous, especially for a lady. Some of these ladies advising you to do this or that jumped from daddy's house to hubby's house. They should bow to you.

Word!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Happycharles(m): 5:53pm On Jun 07, 2020
I respect anyone who can fend for his or herself especially through the right way.

Living alone is not bad jare. Africa is so drained with their philosophies ane tradition which does not anyone. 23 is not a babie.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Uneed2talk: 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2020
Yahoo girl, you are not the first and won't be the last but I think you should focus your energy to leading a responsible life since you may have missed some grooming from parents. There lies genuine fears from some of those people.

3 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
At 23, you're an adult. It's a great age to start living on your own. You will learn much about yourself and the world around you, gain further independence and grow even more than you already have. As with anything and anywhere else, stay safe; keep your home sacred (it's not everyone you must invite over nor disclose your location to). You've come far; keep going.

17 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by ednut1(m): 6:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
This is not even topic worthy

2 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
@op at 23, you are already a grown adult. There's nothing wrong staying alone, just be careful of the company you keep. Especially male friends. When the bad ones discovered you stay alone, you become more valuable and you know we don't have workable system that protect citizens in this part of the world.

Note: don't stay with any boyfriend. if he love to protect you, he should marry you at once, then you can comfortably stay with him. All the best dear

31 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by divineuk(m): 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
23 you are an adult so there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you staying alone because you are old enough to take care of yourself

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by bukatyne(f): 7:40pm On Jun 07, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

If you are earning an income that can afford you rent in a decent area (not gbas today, gbos tomorrow, one million boys next week, PHCN carting off the wires in two weeks,) you are good to go.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Surfondsystems: 8:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
Do you still do Yahoo?

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by 9jayes: 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2020

Everything is wrong with you staying alone especially at your age. Go and look for roommate now or else those people will be the one planning your evil since they know you stay alone.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by LordShiva97(m): 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
There's absolutely nothing wrong with living alone at age 23. You're a full grown adult who's capable of taking care of herself.
Stop listening to primitive people who still thinks that independent adult women shouldn't live alone in 2020.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help!!! My brother is down as his wife got back in contacts with her Ex / How Often Should Couples Have Sex? / My Brother's Girlfriend Has Finally Charmed Him, Help Me Ooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.