Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha (14424 Views)

Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai / How I Lobbied HID To Make Awo Work For Me — Gowon / How I Lobbied HID To Make Awo Work For Me — Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 2:08am On Jan 23, 2011
[size=16pt]1966 coup executed to make Awo PM – Okocha[/size]

By SUNDAY ANI
Sunday, January 23, 2011

A social crusader and author of ‘Blood in the Niger,’ Dr Emma Okocha, in a fresh account of the events that led to the first coup in Nigeria, has dispelled the long-held view that the January 15, 1966 was championed by the Igbo.

In an exclusive interview with Sunday Sun, he said the coup was actually planned, organised and executed to enthrone Chief Obafemi Awolowo as the prime minister.

Besides, it was staged to stop the killings of civilians in Ijebu-Ode, Sagamu, Ibadan, Ikorodu as well as the Igbo in the northern region.
According to him, although Awolowo was in Calabar prisons for treason, he , along with some of his associates such as the late Tai Solarin, Lateef Jakande, Segun Osoba and the late Anthony Enahoro, had foreknowledge of the coup.

He also revealed that contrary to the widely held view that the coup was led by Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, it was led by Major Christian Anuforo, who according to him, had a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and was the most intelligent of the seven majors that executed the putsch. He lamented that January 15, 1966 has been consigned to history and warned that until the event was put in proper perspective, Nigeria would not be able to make much progress.

[b]He condemned the excesses of state governors, who according to him, have gone beyond their constitutional brief of governing their states, to determining who becomes what in Nigeria. He recalled that it was such conduct by the governors that prepared grounds for the 1966 coup. [/b]He urged the governors to retrace their steps and save the country from a possible chaos.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/jan/23/national-23-01-2011-004.htm

Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 2:12am On Jan 23, 2011
Truth is really hard to suppress. The more chaotic things get in Nigeria, the more people are willing to step up and state the facts of history.
A nation with a distorted history cannot progress.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:20am On Jan 23, 2011
This is all unsupported conjecture.

Even the part about Anuforo being the ringleader over Ifeajuna seems incorrect.

And there is no way Awolowo, whose contempt for the NPC was quite real, would have stepped in to illegally replace them knowing he had openly talked about the Northerners being backwards and antagonized them (by attempting to campaign in the North) so even if this were true, which it isn't, it would only suggest that the coupists were dumb beyond belief, extremely ignorant, or delusional.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Abagworo(m): 2:27am On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

And there is no way Awolowo, whose contempt for the NPC was quite real, would have stepped in to illegally replace them knowing he had openly talked about the Northerners being backwards and antagonized them (by attempting to campaign in the North) so even if this were true, which it isn't, it would only suggest that the coupists were dumb beyond belief, extremely ignorant, or delusional.

I am highly convinced that the coup was more of nationalistic than ethnic agenda.I'm done with this thread.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 2:29am On Jan 23, 2011
Posted by: PhysicsMHD

@first bolded:
You forget that Awolowo was involved in a plot to overthrow the government which led to his being jailed years before the 1966 coup. undecided
You also forget that Awolowo has been linked with another failed "revolution" which ultimately led to his death.
The man was always looking for ways to overthrow government. The Jan 1966 coupists knew this fact and wanted to deliver him his dreams on a platter.

@second bolded: SPOT ON!  cool
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by wedee1(m): 2:35am On Jan 23, 2011
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by koruji(m): 2:42am On Jan 23, 2011
Hhmmmm. . .! That this was where Onlylies and his friends were headed was predicted many moons ago.

Is it a new moon already for the madness to return?

Ultimately, this is where they are going with this nonsense: They will claim Papa Awo plotted, funded and directed the coup. Mark my words!!!

Onlytruth:

[size=16pt]1966 coup executed to make Awo PM – Okocha[/size]

By SUNDAY ANI
Sunday, January 23, 2011

A social crusader and author of ‘Blood in the Niger,’ Dr Emma Okocha, in a fresh account of the events that led to the first coup in Nigeria, has dispelled the long-held view that the January 15, 1966 was championed by the Igbo.

In an exclusive interview with Sunday Sun, he said the coup was actually planned, organised and executed to enthrone Chief Obafemi Awolowo as the prime minister.

Besides, it was staged to stop the killings of civilians in Ijebu-Ode, Sagamu, Ibadan, Ikorodu as well as the Igbo in the northern region.
According to him, although Awolowo was in Calabar prisons for treason, he , along with some of his associates such as the late Tai Solarin, Lateef Jakande, Segun Osoba and the late Anthony Enahoro, had foreknowledge of the coup.

He also revealed that contrary to the widely held view that the coup was led by Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, it was led by Major Christian Anuforo, who according to him, had a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and was the most intelligent of the seven majors that executed the putsch. He lamented that January 15, 1966 has been consigned to history and warned that until the event was put in proper perspective, Nigeria would not be able to make much progress.

[b]He condemned the excesses of state governors, who according to him, have gone beyond their constitutional brief of governing their states, to determining who becomes what in Nigeria. He recalled that it was such conduct by the governors that prepared grounds for the 1966 coup. [/b]He urged the governors to retrace their steps and save the country from a possible chaos.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/jan/23/national-23-01-2011-004.htm
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by dempeople(m): 2:43am On Jan 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

My sentiments exactly. I thought its generally accepted that Ifeajuna was the leader of the group while Nzeogwu was No.2? All these guys coming out and countering past events. And the part he stated that the coup was staged to stop the killings in the West and North, I don't accept at all afterall, the killings started after they executed the coup in '66.

"He lamented that January 15, 1966 has been consigned to history and warned that until the event was put in proper perspective, Nigeria would not be able to make much progress."

I very much agree. Operation Damisa must be put to rest.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by koruji(m): 2:48am On Jan 23, 2011
This is amazing, isn't it!!! You write two lies: one linking Awo to the Jan. 15 1966 coup, and the other other a "failed revolution" that led to his death". Then you quote your one lie to make the other look true.

It seems you actually believe your own lies!!! Congratulation, you are qualified to be admitted to Aro.

Onlytruth:

@first bolded:
You forget that Awolowo was involved in a plot to overthrow the government which led to his being jailed years before the 1966 coup. undecided
You also forget that Awolowo has been linked with another failed "revolution" which ultimately led to his death.
The man was always looking for ways to overthrow government. The Jan 1966 coupists knew this fact and wanted to deliver him his dreams on a platter.

Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Nobody: 2:54am On Jan 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

@first bolded:

How about changing your handle to "OnlyLies".  Nzeogwu said, "We seized power to stamp out tribalism, nepotism and regionalism" and bla, bla. He didn't say, we seized power to install Awolowo as Prime Minister.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 2:55am On Jan 23, 2011
Posted by: koruji

This is amazing, isn't it!!! You write two lies: one linking Awo to the Jan. 15 1966 coup, and the other other a "failed revolution" that led to his death". Then you quote your one lie to make the other look true.

It seems you actually believe your own lies!!! Congratulation, you are qualified to be admitted to Aro.

My friend take a breather!
It is a known fact that Awolowo was convicted and was serving a jail term for plotting to overthrow the first republic.  cool
He was in jail when the guys struck in Jan 1966.

Notice that I said he was "reported" to have died (committed suicide) because he was linked with another similar plot.
I didn't create that report.

If you have a more authentic account of why and how Awolowo died, why not share it?
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Nobody: 2:59am On Jan 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

It is a known fact that Awolowo was convicted and was serving a jail term for plotting to overthrow the first republic. cool

[b]Notice that I said he was "reported" to have died (committed suicide) because he was linked with another similar plot.
I didn't create that report.[/b]If you have a more authentic account of why and how Awolowo died, why not share it?

Who created the report, and can you please provide us a link to the said report?
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by KaluAkanu: 3:01am On Jan 23, 2011
I really do not have the stomach for another useless war debate.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 3:03am On Jan 23, 2011
@Aigbofa

"Aigbofa la nwoke, ifa kan o si ni para" (Your profile signature quote)

Just a little diversion, what does the above bolded mean in English. It has a very sinister meaning in Igbo.  grin grin grin
Igbo guys would be rollin' at the bolded.  shocked shocked
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Nobody: 3:10am On Jan 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Aigbofa

Just a little diversion, what does the above bolded mean in English. It has a very sinister meaning in Igbo. grin grin grin
Igbo guys would be rollin' at the bolded. shocked shocked

What it means in ibo is inconsequential. I chose it purposely to befuddle the uninitiated.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by dempeople(m): 3:12am On Jan 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Aigbofa

"Aigbofa [size=14pt]la nwoke[/size], ifa kan o si ni para" (Your profile signature quote)

Just a little diversion, what does the above bolded mean in English. It has a very sinister meaning in Igbo.  grin grin grin

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Onlytruth(m): 3:18am On Jan 23, 2011
^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked grin
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by aljharem(m): 3:30am On Jan 23, 2011
[size=17pt]WHAT!!!!!!![/size]
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by koruji(m): 3:46am On Jan 23, 2011
@Aigbofa
Don't mind Onlylies. He is part of a group that have being generating falsities on the internet and the news about what happened in the 1960s and Chief Awolowo. You 'll know because he is usually the first to post it here on NL. It was Onlytruth who first pointed to the "report of a 22 year study" out of Texas that "documented" that the Jan. 15 coup was not an Igbo coup - except that no such study report is known to exist although they managed to have a write-up inserted in a local Nigerian paper.

The "suicide" lie he referenced was again generated by no other source than the Biafran Warlords website - The Republic, claiming that Awo committed suicide among other lies. I am almost sure Onlylies has a hand in generating that one too.

Aigbofa:

Who created the report, and can you please provide us a link to the said report?

@Onlylies
Lies will lead you nowhere!!!

Onlytruth:

It is a known fact that Awolowo was convicted and was serving a jail term for plotting to overthrow the first republic.  cool

Notice that I said he was "reported" to have died (committed suicide) because he was linked with another similar plot.
I didn't create that report.

If you have a more authentic account of why and how Awolowo died, why not share it?

Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Obiagu1(m): 4:18am On Jan 23, 2011
Aigbofa la nwoke. shocked

Kai! I'm not surprised at all. Some folks on this forum are just ---------.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by KaluAkanu: 4:25am On Jan 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Aigbofa

grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 23, 2011
Obiagu1:

Aigbofa la nwoke. shocked

Kai! I'm not surprised at all. Some folks on this forum are just ---------.

You are not surprised at what? la nwoke could mean anything in ibo, the same way mbadiwe means something in Yoruba. Only a confirmed "dipshit" would ascribe  any serious meaning to that.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by tpia6: 4:44am On Jan 23, 2011
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Olaedo1: 4:48am On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

is a popular yoruba proverb similar to the shakespearean quote: "Our destiny lies not in the stars, dear brutus"

julius ceasar i think.

It means you have enough sense to solve your problems.

nwoke means looking up [wo oke] and could also be transcribed as lan woke instead of la nwoke, which is what makes it seem igboid.

Sharrap dia!
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by ekubear1: 4:50am On Jan 23, 2011

grin grin grin

"I stole the loaf of bread for you! Not for myself, but to help you!"

Such noble souls, these coup plotters.

Anyway, any time your enemy claims he did something to help you out. . . be very suspicious wink
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Nobody: 4:51am On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

is a popular yoruba proverb similar to the shakespearean quote: "Our destiny lies not in the stars, dear brutus"

julius ceasar i think.

nwoke means looking up [wo oke] and could also be transcribed as lan woke instead of la nwoke, which is what makes it seem igboid.

Why bother with these guys. You will be suprised at how many of them were born and raised in Yorubaland.
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Obiagu1(m): 4:51am On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

julius ceasar i think.

Don't defend him. Is he not Yoruba, why did he write "la nwoke" instead of "lan woke"?

In fact, a different forum should be created for people like him because I wouldn't want him around me.  shocked
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by tpia6: 4:54am On Jan 23, 2011
/
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by tpia6: 4:55am On Jan 23, 2011
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Kilode1: 4:55am On Jan 23, 2011
Aigbofa, Awo, ma da won lohun, ai 'gbede lo n se awon Ogberi yii  grin

The joke is actually on the Ogberis how ironic  grin cheesy cheesy
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by tpia6: 4:56am On Jan 23, 2011
Re: 1966 Coup Executed To Make Awo PM – Dr Emma Okocha by Olaedo1: 4:58am On Jan 23, 2011
tpia*:

wa, is there a problem?

which kind arifin be this?

you fell for the bait precious, you know i want u right? kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Obasanjo Resigns As Chairman Of PDP's Board Of Trustees / Bokoharam Is Fighting For Justice – Bamangar Tukur / Buhari Treating Killer Herdsmen With Kid Gloves — Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.